Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Current WR Corps; Who stays? Who goes?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you are right, because I don't want to watch a collection like this again next year....
Klomp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Current WR Corps; Who stays? Who goes? Reply with quote

this providence wrote:

In short, my ideal/best case WR corps looks like this next year
#1/2 WR brought in via FA or Trade
Percy Harvin
Devin Aromashodu
Flier FA WR pick-up
Mid Round Rookie WR draft pick
Stephen Burton/Jarius Wright

Yes, that won't be the elite passing attack some would like to see. But the reality is this team does have other needs to address. Going out and getting a legit option to work in relation to Harvin, Peterson, and Rudolph is going to go a long ways towards providing a more competent passing offense. Just my take on the WRs, lets hear others. Wink

I'm thinking...

1. Harvin
2. FA/rookie
3. Simpson
4. Wright
5. Aromashadu/Jenkins
6. Burton (practice squad/gameday inactive)
byuvike88

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
I would keep Harvin, Aromashodu and Wright, out of that group. I still remember Aromashodu burning us for big yardage and 2 TDs in the '09 season on Monday night. He just needs a capable QB to work with, and I think he will find a stable role within our offense once/if we have one. Harvin is a no-brainer and Wright is instantly valuable because he has already shown he can do some damage both on the outside and in the slot. I might also be inclined to keep Simpson; the more I think about it, the more I think it would be a wise thing to do, as a rotational deep threat. I've been calling for Michael Jenkins' head since the day we signed him and I'm not stopping now.

I definitely like Aromashodu! I wish he got more time, i haven't been able to see a lot of the games, but it seems like he makes some critical receptions. Lions game, and the Jaguars game he made some critical catches

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm the Vikings I keep Childs, Simpson, Harvin, and Wright, everyone else can be replaced with an equivalent easy, and with Simpson I keep him in hopes that with another real WR he looks good in preseason, if not Simpson just is camp fodder to take away reps. I also keep Simpson because with Harvin, Simpson has gotten down the field a few times, not caught the ball but gotten pass interference because he's 1v1 against a CB, when they can have a safety deep without worrying about a quick pass to Harvin, in passing downs, corners are able to be out of position a bit more and not foul.

disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going a little different way:

Returning - Percy Harvin, Michael Jenkins (who will restructure), Jarius Wright

Gone - Jerome Simpson, Stephen Burton (will be in training camp since he's still under contract, but will be cut), Devin Aromashodu

I like Aromashodu, but he's never been a real factor in the offense, and I don't see any way that situation changes. Jenkins, despite not being able to get great separation is still the most reliable receiver they have, and could stick around as one of the starting outside receivers (if they can find someone else to replace Simpson on the other side). Wright and Harvin will split time in the slot (with Harvin sometimes moving to RB so he and Wright can be on the field at the same time). Simpson was a failed risk, and Burton brings nothing to the table.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
LoverInTheCold

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Current WR Corps; Who stays? Who goes? Reply with quote

this providence wrote:
One of the larger talking points around here (outside of the QB position) relates to just how bad these current WRs are. No one is going to deny that collectively they leave a lot to be desired and that there will likely be a larger turnover in the offseason at this spot. So, to get the discussion started, here's the particulars:

Michael Jenkins '13 Cap Number - $3.2m | Snaps - 543
Percy Harvin '13 Cap Number - $2.7m | Snaps - 420
Jerome Simpson '13 Cap Number - UFA | Snaps - 313
Devin Aromashodu '13 Cap Number - UFA | Snaps - 253
Stephen Burton '13 Cap Number - $555k | Snaps - 133
Jarius Wright '13 Cap Number - $585k | Snaps - 99

Looking at it, what immediately comes to mind is this
If the Vikings are going to pursue one, or multiple, higher grade FAs; Jenkins' cap number may be a problem.
Simpson clearly isn't the player some people around here thought that he was going to be.
Aromashodu hasn't done enough for the coaches to get on the field.
Burton is an extremely cheap option as a #5 that will likely be kept around.
Wright is an unproven rookie but is going to have a tough time finding time in this type of offense.

In my view, the first person I say goodbye to is Simpson. He's just not a capable player in this sort of offense. Yes, he may get behind a DB a time or two but he doesn't do enough on the shorter and intermediate routes to ever be a factor in an offense as it's currently led. They need a sound possession guy and he's just not it.

I think Jenkins will be gone if he's not restructured (again, I believe). The Vikings are going to need to make some moves this offseason and that's a fairly significant cap number for his production. However, I still do believe he'd be a capable #3/4 if this team could find a #1 on the market. He's probably the one to watch.

Personally, I'm a bit of a fan of Aromashodu (as much as you can be, I guess). He's open often but he's rarely found for whatever reason. Granted, he does have inconsistent hands so that may be playing a role. If the team needs to part ways with Jenkins, he's the guy I'd keep. Especially over a player like Simpson.

As for Burton and Wright, you can really go either way with these two as your #5 (or if they keep 6) WR. Burton is going to give the team sound run blocking and special team ability. Wright still has the unknown factor to him but with Harvin on this team and a heavy run mindset with Peterson, it's hard to see how well he actually fits in moving forward. I think this is the battle for your last WR spot next camp as both will still be around.

In short, my ideal/best case WR corps looks like this next year
#1/2 WR brought in via FA or Trade
Percy Harvin
Devin Aromashodu
Flier FA WR pick-up
Mid Round Rookie WR draft pick
Stephen Burton/Jarius Wright

Yes, that won't be the elite passing attack some would like to see. But the reality is this team does have other needs to address. Going out and getting a legit option to work in relation to Harvin, Peterson, and Rudolph is going to go a long ways towards providing a more competent passing offense. Just my take on the WRs, lets hear others. Wink

Honestly, I'm not sure a single on of them 100% stays. Jarius Wright would be the best bet based off of investment.

It's looking more and more like Percy will be traded. And if you can get a late 1st or high 2nd round pick for him, I'm for it. Love the guy, but he's just a firecracker waiting to explode.

I'd like to give Simpson the benefit of the doubt on account of his injury, but that's certainly not a given.

Jenkins/Aromashodu/Burton have ABSOLUTELY no place on this team or any other in this league.

And Childs may be done forever.

My pipe dream would be to sign Bowe and draft Keenan Allen. Heck, if you can squeeze another first out of somebody for Harvin, you might still be able to get Alec Ogletree as well, and that would be sick.

Bowe + Allen + Simpson + Wright + later round draft pick

Adopt-a-Viking: Rhett Ellison
vikesnewcoach11

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
I would keep Harvin, Aromashodu and Wright, out of that group. I still remember Aromashodu burning us for big yardage and 2 TDs in the '09 season on Monday night. He just needs a capable QB to work with, and I think he will find a stable role within our offense once/if we have one. Harvin is a no-brainer and Wright is instantly valuable because he has already shown he can do some damage both on the outside and in the slot. I might also be inclined to keep Simpson; the more I think about it, the more I think it would be a wise thing to do, as a rotational deep threat. I've been calling for Michael Jenkins' head since the day we signed him and I'm not stopping now.

Aromashadu was one of the most (if not the most) targeted receiver last year and he had the least amount of production. What he did back in '09 is long gone. If anything I would hold onto simpson simply because he probably has the highest potential out of any one else. He might be better off when we bring in a true deep threat.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideal/Semi-Realistic Projection

Bowe (WR brought in via FA) **
Harvin (we agree to terms with him)
Simpson (signed 2 years)
Wright
Burton
Childs

** If a "Bowe-like" WR is not brought in via free agency, then a WR taken in R1 or R2.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
Ideal/Semi-Realistic Projection

Bowe (WR brought in via FA) **
Harvin (we agree to terms with him)
Simpson (signed 2 years)
Wright
Burton
Childs

** If a "Bowe-like" WR is not brought in via free agency, then a WR taken in R1 or R2.

Even if a Bowe-like receiver is brought in I think we still end up taking a WR somewhere in rounds 1-3. There will be some uncertainty with Harvin that will likely drive that. I don't see him getting re-signed prior to the draft.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Even if a Bowe-like receiver is brought in I think we still end up taking a WR somewhere in rounds 1-3. There will be some uncertainty with Harvin that will likely drive that. I don't see him getting re-signed prior to the draft.

Uncertainty with Harvin? Vikings hold the power.
We're a run first team, AP should be getting the ball 30-50%.
We're punting overall team value if we sign a big WR and then draft a WR high.

2 additional "top WRs" + Harvin are not going to get the ball enough to justify their draft pick slot value to an AP-led team.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:

Uncertainty with Harvin? Vikings hold the power.
We're a run first team, AP should be getting the ball 30-50%.
We're punting overall team value if we sign a big WR and then draft a WR high.

2 additional "top WRs" + Harvin are not going to get the ball enough to justify their draft pick slot value to an AP-led team.

Percy can sit out if he wants. While it's true he's under contract for the next year and he doesn't have the opportunity to not sign a tender of some sort the Vikings may feel he won't re-sign with them after the year is up.

They may view it as better to trade him than risk him possibly leaving or holding out again the next year if he's franchised. It all depends on what's going on behind the scenes, but to deny there is uncertainty with the situation would be foolish.

I should not have said rounds 1-3, I should have said 2-4.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: