Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

OL Film Breakdown: Carimi at OG
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: OL Film Breakdown: Carimi at OG Reply with quote

I re-watched the game specifically the plays Carimi had at RG and I will tel you I came away very impressed and I think he should be the starting RG this week.

Positives: Carimi is ultra physical and explodes out of stance and blows defenders off the ball. There was only 1 play where Carimi did not move his man at least 2-3 yards off the line of scrimmage. Carimi was also protect in pass protection and used his bag punch and long arms to keep Kevin Williams and Fred Evans on the line. Carimi has a number of really good run blocks, and gave up 1 pressure when he was pulling out to Jared Allen on play action. Jon Scott and Carimi had a number of DOMINANT double teams.

Negative: You could tell Carimi has not played OG as his timing was off and he was late to the 2nd level a couple of times missing the LB. He was also awkward pulling and looked uncomfortable with that much space.

1. Run, Carimi pulled and had a great seal bock to get Forte around the edge.
2. Run, dominant down block blew open the hole.
3. Pass, Carimi did not have any work on this play.
4. Run, nice drive block keeps his feet moving and finishes the block.
5. Pass, slide protection no work and a possible mental bust.
6. Pass, Blitz picked up and pancaked the DE that came inside.
7. Run, double team blew up the down lineman, but timing was off and did not get to the 2nd level.
8. Pass, could not pull to JA on play action and misses badly.
9. Run, good explosion but he needs to finish the block with more control rather than one big surge.
10. Run, good rep and finishes his man.
11. Pass, dominant hand punch stuns Fred Evans and ends rep.
12. Pass, solid hand punch allows NO pressure.
13. Run, dominant run block.
14. Screen, no block to make.
15. Run, poor footwork but very physical and tries to work hard.
16. Run, great drive block again but misses on the 2nd level.
17. Pass, mauled the guy 6 yards off the line.
18. Pass, physical on the line and picks up the stunt.
19. Run, dominant run block and drives Fred Evans 6 yards again.
20. Pass, physical and allows 0 push up field, long arms don't allow defender to get going.
21. Pass, poor technique but hustled.
22. Run, poor technique initially but worked his way back into a good position and shielded the RB.
23. Run, physical off the ball, but again must finish with his footwork.
24. Run, solid drive block.
25. Run, pulled and was cut.
26. Run, pulled to deep and was tripped up.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edwin Williams

Positive: There might have been many WOW blocks, but he was very solid the entire game. He was firm in pass protection, he did not get bull rushed and he did not give up any hits. In the run game he needed to do a better job on the 2nd level, but he had some nice pulls and some nice down blocks.

Negatives: There were no WOW blocks and he simply did his job in a solid manner and he protected better than he ran block. He needs to finish blocks more and show some of that Rachal nastiness.

1. Pass, great job handling initial bull rush stays active and comes back on the scramble to make a block.
2. Run, blocked down, but should have gone to the 2nd level, mental bust?
3. Pass, stones Fred Evans on the line finishes the play in good position.
4. Pass, stuffs the stunt initially, but lets Jared Allen off late instead of finishing the rep.
5. Pass, dominant pass rep uses a big punch to take the defender wide of the pocket.
6. Pass, gets spun but recovers to save a hit on Cutler.
7. Run, great double team with Garza but looks tired on the 2nd level and cannot get the LB.
8. Run, pulls and does a bad job on the blitzing LB and blows up Lance Louis.
9. Pass, physical pass block on play action allows clean pocket.
10. Pass, picks up stunt but gives up too much push solid job but could do more.
11. Pass, quick WR screen so does not need to do much.
12. Pass/Int, physical pass block against the DT, but needs to move his feet and avoid holding.
13. Run, pulls and gets out in front but needs to be more aggressive, that being said Forte needs to allow the play to develop.
14. Run, pulls and gets a nice seal block on Robison.
15. Pass, good physical punch that stuffs a stunt and allow Garza to pass the looper.
16. Run, poor job on the 2nd level and ruins the run play.
17. Pass, picks up blitz and drives the LB wide of the pocket.
18. Pass, no work on the zone blitz.
19. Run, down blocks the DT and allows Forte to cut back and creates the hole.
20. Pass, play action and does not do a lot.
21. Run, great down block and sticks on the block allowing Forte to gain more yards and Kevin Williams is 8 yards down field.
22. Run, nice job on the double and getting to the 2nd level, but must finish more physically.
23. Pass. mental bust by everyone from Garza to Webb.
24. Pass, good hand use and firm pocket, but gets pushed late and must anchor a little better.
25. Run, pulls and gets cut but covers the LB and Bush dives for 4 yards.
26. Pass, screen blown up behind him but does not look really athletic.
27. Run, good initial punch and keeps his feet working and gets Bush 7 yards.
28. Run, never gets any push and is strung out to the sideline causing no gain.
29. Pass, no work, should help Webb.
30. Pass, no work, Kellen Davis sucks.
31. Run, good job walling the slanting DT outside.
32. Pass/Cutler Run, good physical pocket up the middle.
33. Pass, nothing to do.
34. Run, does nothing misses down man and then does not get the LB.
35. Run, solid drive block and does a nice job on the 2nd level.
36. Run, pulls and gets nice initial contact, but needs to finish the block.
ConVict90

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though Carimi was absolutely awful at right tackle, I really do believe his niche is at the guard position. With Louis being on IR Tice almost has no choice but to start him somewhere.. but I foresee Gabe doing an exceptional job inside.

TCKL-
SCK-
FF-
INT-
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of other reactions.

J'Marcus Webb: This was not clinic tape material, but what Webb did was use his size to his advantage. Webb got his body in good position and forced Jared Allen to bull rush him. Webb finished most of the blocks in a solid position, but far from dominant. The most important thing was that he held up the pocket and was again very physical in the run game when we ran to the left.

Good game for Webb an outside of Green Bay and San Francisco he has been good this season.

Jon Scott: Again this was not clinic tape material and was weaker than Webb, but was a huge upgrade over the level of play that Carimi was putting put. What Scott did that was good was he kept his feet moving and he continue to fight to make blocks that did not start well. He was beat on a couple of occasions, but scrambled to protect the pocket and did not give up a lot of pressure. Nice us of his long arms in pass protection. I was most impressed with his down blocks and double teams with Gabe Carimi.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConVict90 wrote:
Though Carimi was absolutely awful at right tackle, I really do believe his niche is at the guard position. With Louis being on IR Tice almost has no choice but to start him somewhere.. but I foresee Gabe doing an exceptional job inside.

I was impressed with him at RG and I have been a critic about him.

At OG Carimi was able to plant his feet, which he can not do at OT and which he did in the Aldon Smith debacle, and use his big punch and long arms to stone the defender.

He looked comfortable at OG and he had good leverage and he was not over matched by the opponents speed.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
ConVict90 wrote:

I was impressed with him at RG and I have been a critic about him.

At OG Carimi was able to plant his feet, which he can not do at OT and which he did in the Aldon Smith debacle, and use his big punch and long arms to stone the defender.

He looked comfortable at OG and he had good leverage and he was not over matched by the opponents speed.

I have believed since draft day last year that Carimi would be an excellent guard if that was where he ended up even though I had high hopes for him at RT. if Carimi gets the call there now and does a good job then lets leave him at OG. Basically all of the best guards in the league (Carl Nicks, Logan Mankins, Jahri Evans, Steve Hutchinson and Josh Sitton) were all college tackles who have found excellence moving inside. It surely wouldn't be the worst thing if he was JUST a stud OG for the next decade even if he doesn't pan out on the outside.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing inside doesn't require the footspeed that playing out in space does, he's much better suited inside where his natural gifts very well could make him a dominant player

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
bearsaddict

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if anything this speaks ill of Tice's ability in lineman evaluation. Carimi has been so very very bad, and Scott was clearly a lot better. Our Oline has continued to play poorly for way way too long, especially given the fact that when they are forced into personnel changes by injuries we see other guys or guys at other positions playing much better. That coupled with Tice's playcalling woes make me really question Tice on the staff period.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearsaddict wrote:
I think that if anything this speaks ill of Tice's ability in lineman evaluation. Carimi has been so very very bad, and Scott was clearly a lot better. Our Oline has continued to play poorly for way way too long, especially given the fact that when they are forced into personnel changes by injuries we see other guys or guys at other positions playing much better. That coupled with Tice's playcalling woes make me really question Tice on the staff period.

I agree.

Some of his mid evaluations are starting to trouble me and I think it hurts his OL credibility.

Edwin Williams should have been playing sooner and Carimi should have been benched sooner.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearsaddict wrote:
We've all seen since he's been here that Tice has his guys, and his guys are going to play until they prove they can't. The "competition" between CW and Webb this offseason was a farce. I think he's a good coach but has a major issue w/ hubris.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Slaymont Harris

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearsaddict wrote:

Gabe was a 1st round pick endorsed by Tice, so he was going to get the benefit of the doubt, even if Scott looked better the last few weeks in practice. I'm not saying it's right, but it doesn't surprise me. Tice saw him suck in pass pro like everyone else did, but he just hoping that he would get better so he didn't have to pull the plug on a 1st rounder IMO.
bearsaddict

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slaymont Harris wrote:
bearsaddict wrote:

Gabe was a 1st round pick endorsed by Tice, so he was going to get the benefit of the doubt, even if Scott looked better the last few weeks in practice. I'm not saying it's right, but it doesn't surprise me. Tice saw him suck in pass pro like everyone else did, but he just hoping that he would get better so he didn't have to pull the plug on a 1st rounder IMO.
I get that you try like heck to make "your guy" work, but not when he is horrendous. Mistake prone is one thing, no where near NFL level is another.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think as well as Williams, Carimi and Scott all played it is only going to get tougher for them once Dlinemen get some tape on those guys…we have seen in the past backups coming in and playing well all around the NFL but after a few weeks it can look like a false dawn…hopefully all 3 can continue to play at a good enough level to give Jay some time.
pigsooie5

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: OL Film Breakdown: Carimi at OG Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
I re-watched the game specifically the plays Carimi had at RG and I will tel you I came away very impressed and I think he should be the starting RG this week.

Positives: Carimi is ultra physical and explodes out of stance and blows defenders off the ball. There was only 1 play where Carimi did not move his man at least 2-3 yards off the line of scrimmage. Carimi was also protect in pass protection and used his bag punch and long arms to keep Kevin Williams and Fred Evans on the line. Carimi has a number of really good run blocks, and gave up 1 pressure when he was pulling out to Jared Allen on play action. Jon Scott and Carimi had a number of DOMINANT double teams.

Negative: You could tell Carimi has not played OG as his timing was off and he was late to the 2nd level a couple of times missing the LB. He was also awkward pulling and looked uncomfortable with that much space.

1. Run, Carimi pulled and had a great seal bock to get Forte around the edge.
2. Run, dominant down block blew open the hole.
3. Pass, Carimi did not have any work on this play.
4. Run, nice drive block keeps his feet moving and finishes the block.
5. Pass, slide protection no work and a possible mental bust.
6. Pass, Blitz picked up and pancaked the DE that came inside.
7. Run, double team blew up the down lineman, but timing was off and did not get to the 2nd level.
8. Pass, could not pull to JA on play action and misses badly.
9. Run, good explosion but he needs to finish the block with more control rather than one big surge.
10. Run, good rep and finishes his man.
11. Pass, dominant hand punch stuns Fred Evans and ends rep.
12. Pass, solid hand punch allows NO pressure.
13. Run, dominant run block.
14. Screen, no block to make.
15. Run, poor footwork but very physical and tries to work hard.
16. Run, great drive block again but misses on the 2nd level.
17. Pass, mauled the guy 6 yards off the line.
18. Pass, physical on the line and picks up the stunt.
19. Run, dominant run block and drives Fred Evans 6 yards again.
20. Pass, physical and allows 0 push up field, long arms don't allow defender to get going.
21. Pass, poor technique but hustled.
22. Run, poor technique initially but worked his way back into a good position and shielded the RB.
23. Run, physical off the ball, but again must finish with his footwork.
24. Run, solid drive block.
25. Run, pulled and was cut.
26. Run, pulled to deep and was tripped up.

I did the exact same thing. I think it had more to do with him trying to prove himself with a good outing than it did a position change. Even when he was in as an extra lineman/TE he was pancaking guys, I think in his situation, getting benched was the best thing to happen to him IMO... in the long run.

BEARS------BULLS------DODGERS------KINGS
Adopt-A-Bear: Kyle Long, Guard
TexasBearsFan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we can salvage something from the Carimi mess, I guess that's good. He's certainly not an OT, that's for sure.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: