Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Offensive Coordinator Candidates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sp6488

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1.) There have been plenty of other coordinator changes during the lockout and some of them worked out quite nicely.

But not TWO coordinator changes for a SB contender, which is what we would have went through. We went through a DC change. Some teams went with two new coordinators, but they weren't very much in the SB picture like we were.

Well considering our defense is one of the worst in the league right now and our offense is middle-of-the-road at best, it seems to me like 2 coordinator changes can't really hurt us that bad.

But even with that said, I'll grant you both that point. But after this year, if we don't get it done I can't see Cam Cameron coming back. Idk why Pees would be back either but Cam should FOR SURE be gone.

For the last time, it's not.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/baltimoreravens/profile?team=BAL

No, but really, we are though...

What in that link points to us being one of the worst in the league?

I see 9th in ppg and 19th in ypg. And even though our rushing defense has seemingly been gashed this year, we actually have the 9th best ypc. I'm not trying to argue that we're good, but to say "one of the worst" is completely nonsensical.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1.) There have been plenty of other coordinator changes during the lockout and some of them worked out quite nicely.

But not TWO coordinator changes for a SB contender, which is what we would have went through. We went through a DC change. Some teams went with two new coordinators, but they weren't very much in the SB picture like we were.

Well considering our defense is one of the worst in the league right now and our offense is middle-of-the-road at best, it seems to me like 2 coordinator changes can't really hurt us that bad.

But even with that said, I'll grant you both that point. But after this year, if we don't get it done I can't see Cam Cameron coming back. Idk why Pees would be back either but Cam should FOR SURE be gone.

I see 9th in ppg and 19th in ypg. And even though our rushing defense has seemingly been gashed this year, we actually have the 9th best ypc. I'm not trying to argue that we're good, but to say "one of the worst" is
completely nonsensical.

You're looking at the offensive stats Cool

Our defensive stats are all in the mid-20's except PPG (9th).

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
sp6488

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

I see 9th in ppg and 19th in ypg. And even though our rushing defense has seemingly been gashed this year, we actually have the 9th best ypc. I'm not trying to argue that we're good, but to say "one of the worst" is
completely nonsensical.

Oops. I'm seeing us as 8th in points allowed. Total yards aren't pretty, but we're still tied for 8th in total yards per play and 9th in ypc. Also, 7th in turnovers. 18th in sacks. Again, not as bad as you make us out to be.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

completely nonsensical.

Oops. I'm seeing us as 8th in points allowed. Total yards aren't pretty, but we're still tied for 8th in total yards per play and 9th in ypc. Also, 7th in turnovers. 18th in sacks. Again, not as bad as you make us out to be.

I wonder where we rank in blown coverages, lol.

Even with all those stats, it just seems like whenever I watch our defense, teams have no trouble moving the ball on this team, and then suddenly they collapse and make a mistake, mostly on 3rd down (our 3rd down defense has been one area that I've been impressed with all season).

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
sp6488

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

completely nonsensical.

Even with all those stats, it just seems like whenever I watch our defense, teams have no trouble moving the ball on this team, and then suddenly they collapse and make a mistake, mostly on 3rd down (our 3rd down defense has been one area that I've been impressed with all season).

I think this is the key part of your statement. You alluded to it in the other thread to some degree, but here you admit that "it seems" that way when you watch the Ravens. I'm assuming you watch the Ravens more intently than other teams. A MNF game might be entertaining and end up 27 - 24, you would think nothing of it. But if the Ravens were involved in said game, you would be far more critical of every miscue that allowed the opponent to get to that score. To some degree I think past Ravens success and elite defensive play have "ruined" us for future Ravens teams.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not content with average. But I do not see any benefit in willfully ignoring the realities of the situation (we are not horrible). Again, I don't think everything is sunshine and rainbows, although it may come off that way sometimes. I want Cameron gone after the season. I'd support moving past Pees, although I think he should get one more season and I don't really like the idea of two new coordinators.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

completely nonsensical.

I think this is the key part of your statement. You alluded to it in the other thread to some degree, but here you admit that "it seems" that way when you watch the Ravens. I'm assuming you watch the Ravens more intently than other teams. A MNF game might be entertaining and end up 27 - 24, you would think nothing of it. But if the Ravens were involved in said game, you would be far more critical of every miscue that allowed the opponent to get to that score. To some degree I think past Ravens success and elite defensive play have "ruined" us for future Ravens teams.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not content with average. But I do not see any benefit in willfully ignoring the realities of the situation (we are not horrible). Again, I don't think everything is sunshine and rainbows, although it may come off that way sometimes. I want Cameron gone after the season. I'd support moving past Pees, although I think he should get one more season and I don't really like the idea of two new coordinators.

The bolded is definitely true, I think. We've come to basically expect to be in the top-10 or top-5 of every defensive category (especially yards) and this year we just aren't, and we aren't anywhere near that, and yeah it's going to take some adjusting to but I just don't like it and don't support this kind of defense. It literally drives me insane to watch a team drive down 75 yards with ease then throw a redzone INT or we sack them 2 times and force an incomplete pass for a FG. Drives. Me. Nuts!

But yes, there's no question about it, I watch this team easily a million times more intently than any other team. When this team is on, I stop what I'm doing and watch every play and obviously post here. When Seattle plays, I start up the Xbox and kind of just watch and listen casually.

BlaqOptic wrote:
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what are people's thoughts on Andy Reid as a coordinator candidate? Am I the only one who wouldn't hate that move? I know he was problems giving his backs enough carries, and especially with how impressive Pierce has looked, Harbaugh would need to insist they get the ball.

On the other hand, he is a very good coach, and endured the toughest market in the league. He could do a lot of good for Flacco, and he's made so many other QB's look good/respectable. Personally I think his west-coast offense is a much better fit for us and our personnel than Norv Turner's offense, which may give us similar problems to the what we had with Cam's. I think Flacco will really thrive in a west-coast offense, and there is no better coach for it.

There's already the link there with Harbaugh coaching under Reid. I think he'll definitely be fired, and I don't know I some other team will make him a head coach, so this may be the best opportunity for him as well.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like the type of passing scheme he would install in Baltimore's offense since they have the personnel to run it effectively (even down to the elite pass-catching RB). I'm just worried that he would have his stretches of abandoning the run like Cameron did. That's been a complaint I've seen regularly from Philadelphia fans. I am less against that possible move than I was before though. Reid will probably get a head coaching job somewhere else anyways, he was too successful for too long not to have another job lined up fairly quickly.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally do not like the thought of Andy Reid, but honestly I don't REALLY know Reid's scheme so I might be ignorant on the issue, but this is what I see generally from Reid's offense:

- Long developing routes
- No extra offensive line help
- Trouble getting RB's consistently involved
- Unwilling to adapt offense or change based on personnel

Sound like anyone? I mean I may be wrong but that's just what I think.

IMHO, we just need to interview coordinators and find someone who will run the following scheme or something close to it:

- Primarily shotgun with lots of compressed, 3 WR sets that utilize rubs and crossing routes and short quick routes
- Running game will mix in outside runs (zone) and power runs and utilize play action well and not just send everyone deep
- Uses TE's and RB's to chip pass rushers to give our offensive tackles some extra help
- Will use Ray Rice as the featured offensive player but also mix in Bernard Pierce
- Will not get one dimensional unless that one dimension is tearing the other team apart, and if they stop that one dimension, will adjust to use the other dimension of the offense.
- Isn't named Cam Cameron (biggest quality I'm looking for)

BlaqOptic wrote:
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
I personally do not like the thought of Andy Reid, but honestly I don't REALLY know Reid's scheme so I might be ignorant on the issue, but this is what I see generally from Reid's offense:

- Long developing routes

Nah, that's not the case with his offense. Vick held the ball way too long, but quick passes are key to that offense.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

- Long developing routes

Nah, that's not the case with his offense. Vick held the ball way too long, but quick passes are key to that offense.

Yeah... and recently they've been doing things a little differently. Reid has both Maclin and Jackson... they both have deep ball ability, you're going to have plays in the playbook that call upon deep routes when you've got deep specialists.

But his offense hasn't always been as vertical as it currently is... it's usually been more intermediate focused IIRC.

But coordinator makes a great point. I'd be against this move if Reid wasn't such a successful coach. Reid could take a year off from the grind of HCing, help build up more consistency to our passing attack, get Flacco further along... and then after he has our offense looking top 5-10... leaves before we have to deal with Harbaugh respecting the man too much to tell him to run the freaking football when we need to run the freaking football. On a one year and gone type arrangement, I wouldn't mind it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Reid talk is kind of pointless unless you guys want Harbs gone.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

- Long developing routes

Yeah... and recently they've been doing things a little differently. Reid has both Maclin and Jackson... they both have deep ball ability, you're going to have plays in the playbook that call upon deep routes when you've got deep specialists.

But his offense hasn't always been as vertical as it currently is... it's usually been more intermediate focused IIRC.

But coordinator makes a great point. I'd be against this move if Reid wasn't such a successful coach. Reid could take a year off from the grind of HCing, help build up more consistency to our passing attack, get Flacco further along... and then after he has our offense looking top 5-10... leaves before we have to deal with Harbaugh respecting the man too much to tell him to run the freaking football when we need to run the freaking football. On a one year and gone type arrangement, I wouldn't mind it.

Well then I'm on board as well. If he's willing to change up the offense and get creative and simply not just sit back and let Flacco get killed while Boldin runs 9 routes and Rice stands on the sidelines, then I'm willing to say go for it.

Besides, Harbs already respects the guy, it would be quite the twist that Harbs was once working for Reid, and now Reid is working for Harbs.

BlaqOptic wrote:
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

- Long developing routes

Well then I'm on board as well. If he's willing to change up the offense and get creative and simply not just sit back and let Flacco get killed while Boldin runs 9 routes and Rice stands on the sidelines, then I'm willing to say go for it.

Besides, Harbs already respects the guy, it would be quite the twist that Harbs was once working for Reid, and now Reid is working for Harbs.

Harbs once worked for Cam, and then Cam worked for Harbs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

- Long developing routes

Harbs once worked for Cam, and then Cam worked for Harbs.

OF COURSE! IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW!

Might as well mark it down that Andy Reid is coming here!

BlaqOptic wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: