Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Gatoradus' Raven-killer but hold on... a mock draft!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Gatoradus' Raven-killer but hold on... a mock draft! Reply with quote

I made a mock draft, but not based on our needs or BPA. I made this as in a formula of options and your way to choosing which players from variety of 1st-4th rounds, with choices of A, B, C, and D (could do more but this should be sufficient. I think it’d be fun doing one so this is my projection of each rounds of need meeting BPA. Here it is.

1st round is loaded with best D-linemen talents ever seen for a long time and there’s a chance we won’t see it for long time. I expect to see us draft a D-lineman, whether it’s a pass-rusher or an interior lineman. Offensive talent is really sub-par, I see some teams overdraft those players so because of this, it’ll play in our favor of getting a really good player within our pick. Now we are sitting on 7-5 record, as we have among worse AFC conference records so I see us either squeezing in the playoff or missing barely. I’m putting us at 21th pick to be safe. Here are options for 1st round.

1st Round

A). Jesse Williams, 3-4 D-lineman, Alabama.
He’s officially graded as 1st round now, might be graded top 15 or 10 as combine come up. He’d be easily the best 3-4 D-lineman prospect with actual experience in 3-4. Hampton is likely to be released and we don’t know anything about Brett Keisel, as far I’m concerned, 3-4 NT is a need even if Ziggy Hood “could move over to NT” Jesse Williams is somebody who also could play 3-4 DE. Getting him just may be the safest 1st round pick for us than other prospects.

B). Dion Jordan, 3-4 OLB, Oregon.
His stock has been rising up fast and he’s probably will be drafted before our pick but we can hope. Providing unusual size and great athleticism to play OLB for us, many would ask what if Worilds step in for James Harrison and does just as good? See, behind them we have nothing and Woodley get hurt every year.

C). Jonathan Jenkins, 3-4 DE, Georgia.
I know many claim he has the size to play 3-4 NT, but not even close. He’ll be a project playing 3-4 DE; his talent at interior is superior compared to Jesse Williams when looking at statistic sheet but this is 3-4 scheme we are talking about with a different responsibility. However he’s probably a BPA for D-line that is really strong in depth of talents for 1st round.

D). C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama.
Wait what? Yes, this prospect is only junior and seems somewhat raw but he’s outplaying the season that Dont’a Hightower played last season and we all know we were high on Hightower. He’ll be inside linebacker, a future replacement for Larry Foote. You are asking me why Mosley if he’s not a pass-rusher or D-lineman, well I’m stealing this from JPN (sorry, sir!) PMMD (player that makes most difference) immediately would be Mosley as where Ogletree and Te’0 both are getting a lot of attention, Mosley isn’t really that far off from Te’o and is a better/more complete player than Ogletree is. Mosley strike me more like a James Farrior clone; experienced, motivated, has athleticism to blitz or withstand a hit from fullback, and even dropping in coverage. I expect him to get bigger a bit, but not too much as he’ll be playing different role. I expect us to look this way when no BPA D-lineman is available.

That’s 1st round! Now for 2nd round, this draft is still loaded with similar talents but also with additional of receivers that are scattered everywhere, even safeties as it’s become more unclear whether we will get a BPA or a need first because of the depth that will run out soon! Here we are with four options!

2nd Round

A). Chase Thomas, OLB/ILB, Stanford.
He’s considered as among the most versatile linebacker in collegiate football. Has displayed great athleticism, can pass-rush from anywhere and has instinct to play inside. Would have been drafted earlier if it wasn’t for this superior depth of defensive draft.

B). Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee.
A wide receiver? Wait… See as I mentioned earlier that this draft is really a smokescreen for every team, as the talent is really sub-par in term of talent and size for 1st round. None of those wide receivers are a true 1st round wide receiver, which is why this draft may be playing in our favor. No one counts on us drafting a wide receiver because we have the “Money Crew” and Heath Miller. 2nd Round should be loaded with the word that got some of you guys aroused- “SIZE”. I see us drafting a receiver in 2nd or 3rd round, hence the possible pick here and this dude catches everything, much more consistent than Justin Hunter. We probably will have Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, and Jerricho Cotchery for next season but what happen when one get hurt? It was so ugly watching our receivers against Browns; we need more talent as Mike Wallace is likely to go into free agency.

C). Anthony Barr, 3-4 OLB, UCLA.
Who is this kid? Watch highlights. Standing stall at 6’4” and 238 lbs, former fullback until this season were moved to OLB and he exploded more than any of NCAA player you will see. When first thinking of this kid, one word come first; explosiveness. If you were to look for a pure pass-rusher in 2nd round this kid is best suitor for the role. Very far from prospect Bruce Davis was. He also was competing against Dion Jordan for Pac-12 defensive player for the year. Probably will fill the bill as a pass-rusher for us better than Chase Thomas but he only had one season of being a pass-rusher so that’s a risk we have to consider!

D). T.J. McDonald, FS, Southern California.
Many would have a mixed feeling on McDonald, so do I. Many wouldn’t know it but Eric Reid, Matt Elam and McDonald are the only two consistent safeties that are being graded in first 2 rounds. Yep. That bad. Safety is a need for us to replace either safety in future but this is more of like a BPA kind of pick, when there’s no one else left… You grab McDonald.

That’s first 2 rounds, as 3rd round come up; there are more talents among offensive talents, so I anticipate us grabbing an offensive weapon with this pick, not necessarily will but I will go with 4 options again with some interesting twist!

3rd Round

A). Jordan Reed, TE, Florida.
Whoa! Yeah, Jordan Reed considered as the most athletic TE in this draft, while only standing up to 6’3” he should offer us different looks on offense end when using two TEs formation. I would be more than okay with a receiver or 3rd down back, but I feel like this kid have more to offer than any of other prospects and should be easily our #2 on gameday. What also makes me more excited about this kid; his blocking. Playing for option offense, it only can his case as his 2nd positions would be; QB, H-Back, FB, and WR. Crazy. Only question I have is whether his work-ethic is that good or not.

B). Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana tech.
When I mentioned a WR, I think it’s safer to draft a receiver who is rather in mold of our receivers, could be size but consistency is what I’m looking for and with a sure-hands it’d be easier for us to replace the injured player and harder for other team to scheme against us, enter Quinton Patton. The leading and favorite receiver for the QB that throw most passing yards in NCAA who stand at 6’2”, not bad! If this was the draft where team scouts grade solely based on those; athleticism, sure-hands, and size. This kid would have been 1st round in this weak receiver class, but instead he’s being a late 2nd-3rd round prospect. A straight up possession WR with a speed to burn past cornerback, he is not a developmental pick; a production pick!

C). Tony Jefferson, FS, Oklahoma.
Yes he’s being graded this late but doesn’t mean it’s true on draft day. Considered as the best “overall” safety among what is a very weak safety class, probably doesn’t get the hype he should be compared to other prospects. It would be nice if he’s the BPA for us, it will be a steal but I’m in favor for an offensive weapon in 3rd round, that’s just me. The recap and scouting reports can be found via google, so I recommend that you guys do that when comparing safety among many safeties.

D). Nice Johnson, LB, Alabama.
Other LB??? Yeah, funny see when they had Hightower playing, they also had Nice Johnson beside him, which giving the best run-stuffing defense that anyone ever seen. Nice Johnson who was considered as the better run-stuffer LB and actually is pretty fast for his size, so I looked into this more as of why he’s this late. Apparently for passing downs, Nice Johnson run off the field and stay on sideline during passing downs. I first felt like okay forget this kid and then saw that he’s also an exceptional pass-rusher, can play OLB also. Sound like a nice developmental prospect for us considering our lacking of depth beside Worilds.

Finishing with 3rd rounds, I’m about to do my last “options” for 1st-4th as 4th round is coming up. There are vary of picks we all have preference within, mine’s all “A” in case you are wondering so you can probably say I will have a safety for my 4th round pick “A”, so here it is!

4th Round

A). D.J. Swearinger, FS, South Carolina.
Many would think there are other safeties to look at, well at 4th round there’s not many and our bigger weakness is the free safety position itself. We need a disciplined safety, so I went with Swearinger. Has decent size to play, athleticism is all right, but what stood out was his discipline with coverage and open-field tackling. Should have no problem fitting in our scheme (South Carolina CBs play zone coverage as well).

B). Joseph Fauria, TE, UCLA.
If we don’t go with a TE in 3rd round, I’d like to have this kid. While he’s far from a burner that Jimmy Graham has but he provide the size along with soft hands at 6’7” and is agile enough to make defensive players miss him. Many would think this kid may be Spaeth’s clone, but not true. Spaeth lack in the blocking department, Fauria showed plenty of ability of blocking for the surging UCLA squad.

C). Kapoor Lewis-Moore, 3-4 DE, Notre Dame.
As it seem, this kid is Kevin Colbert’s favorite, we will see. Regardless, could be a nice depth player and has the long arms and size to play 3-4 DE, been playing the position at Notre Dame so the transition should be easy.

D). Mike Glennon, QB, North Carolina State.
There are strong possible that he fall to his; his foot works left many to be undesired, regardless as a prospect he strike some strong comparison with Joe Flacco (size, arm, and underrated mobility) and I figure if he fall to us at this round, we might as well draft him; blossom him and when he hit his potentials and when other teams take some notice, we trade him. High reward, low risk. Got to be BPA as well.

I’m done with the options from A to D, but I felt the urge of making at least 2 for 5th rounds as I will explain why. I feel like our RB depth is shrinking, Baron Batch already is gone. Rashard Mendenhall is likely to walk away. Question being; Isaac Redman, would he want to stay on the squad after being surpassed by Dwyer? I don’t know, I think he knows he can be a starter for other team, so with Redman or without; we need a draftee that plays running back.

5th Round

A). Le’Veon Bell, RB, Michigan State.
I personally don’t think he’s worth top 4 rounds pick, but at this pick I’m more than satisfied with the value meeting need. Bell is pretty much one-dimensional running back, hasn’t showed enough with his blocking abilities nor receiving but we could be wrong. Drafting him with knowledge of his running style and ability to explode through the hole we may get a steal here.

B). D.J. Harper, RB, Boise State.
Perfect 3rd down back for us, could block, run, and catch. Somewhat small, but isn’t exactly smallish frame like Chris Rainey. Would fit in more clone of Stephen Howling (sp?) can return and play special team as well. Should be able to contribute more than Baron Batch could for us but keep this in mind; I would rather signing Baron Batch but wouldn’t know if we will.

6th Round). Marquess Wilson, WR, Washington State.
If we are going within my all first “A” picks for first-fifth rounds, thins means we still don’t have a wide receiver. So I want this kid, Marquess. Not many know about him because he quit the team (rumored to be bullied by Mike Leach and his coaching staffs that caused him to report and quit) regardless this kid is very talented. Would fit in our offensive scheme just fine. He’s 6th because no one knows whether he still got it or not but we should find out! BTW he’s 6’3” and runs sub 4.6.

7th Round). Shamarko Thomas, SS, Syracuse.
As it seem, many thought Shamarko would fall to become UDFA, I wouldn’t give a chance for him to be. He’s talented, athletic-freak, and is among NCAA’s best tackling artists. Would fit in Troy Polamalu’s role much better than any of prospects we currently have. Draft him, develop him, turn him into a starting safety.

So my recap for draft is this:

1st Round). Jesse Williams, 3-4 DL, Alabama. 6’4” 320 lbs.
2nd Round). Chase Thomas, 3-4 LB, Stanford. 6’4” 248 lbs.
3rd Round). Jordan Reed, TE, Florida. 6’3” 243 lbs.
4th Round). D.J. Swearinger, FS, South Carolina. 5’11” 210 lbs.
5th Round). Le’Veon Bell, RB, Michigan State. 6’2” 244 lbs.
6th Round). Marquess Wilson, WR, Washington State. 6’3” 188 lbs.
7th Round). Shamarko Thomas, SS, Syracuse. 5’10” 210 lbs.

Whatcha you think? Did I miss anyone? Shoot, folks!
jebrick

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would drool.

you should note where you think they will pick. I still say that if they want Jesse Williams they can trade back.

If they picked 24th, trade back and get Williams. Then have a shot for Cordarrelle Patterson and either Chase Thomas or Anthony Barr. i would have a draftgasium.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Williams and Jenkins. Jordan is a better fit in a 4-3. In the second I would love McDonald there. I don't think this is a weak safety class at all. I think it's very good one. Paulson is fine as a number two TE and ILB Johnson would be more of a need there in the third. I like Bell and Wilson in those rounds.

Terrific job on the write up. I like most of the players you mention.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha I should also note that some have jesse williams high as 12th overall prospect. Some at 30. Its reallt vary but I know he's a 1st round, that's like a for sure. So to trade back for him... eh I don't know. If none of 1st round prospects are available (that's like worse scenario I can see us trade back for chase thomas but that's it. I'm high on receivers more than most people but wouldn't spend a 1st round on receiver though.
jebrick

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Her are my reasons that I think Jesse Williams will go late in the 1st or early in the 2nd. This is a really really really good class for d-linemen. Williams dose not bring much to the table as a pass rusher. Not many teams will look at a primary run stopper when there is so much DT goodness still there.

Jenkins is a decent/good player. He is not a fit for the Steelers.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but there are few 3-4 teams. While many DTs offer more dimensional of pass-rushing, many are really inconsistent on different levels. One grand example, star lotelulei, against this team, which escape my mind but on few plays star would give a good push, and the next few plays he'd get pushed onto ground. There are teams that choose consistency over potentials. Steelers are the those who rather consistency, I know I do and jesse williams also is a three-downs player who can play both defensive end and nose tackle on 3-4. Who else have that luxury?
jebrick

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you over rate him or under rate players like Jenkins, Hankins and Short.

Gatoradus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathan hankins is a top-10 dt. Kawann short will only be our project at de and I'm not even sure if that's the thing we need. Jonathan jenkins, a better suitor for 3-4 but still is a project. He'd be easily a top 15, 20 overall player yes but who are we to say he'll be immediate contributor to our d-line, at de?

See point being, jesse williams CAN play 3-4 NT and DE. The best run-stuffer d-lineman in whole draft. Now you might be right, maybe the steelers will go with jonathan jenkins but for us to assume he'll be a nose tackle is really overrating him at this point.

Remember Dontari Poe who is a lot worse than Jesse Williams and a project at nose tackle- he went at pick #15!

Jesse Williams is a proven 3-4 defensive lineman with experience playing de and nt, who are we to say he won't land us? We have a bunch of 3-4 defensive schemes in front of us that can use his service, few come to mind- kansas city and dallas. Also I'm not even including the possible of 4-3 teams grabbing him.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries about stealing it Gatoradus, acknowledgement makes it good, at least thats what my professors say.

You did a lot of work here with the write ups.

Mosley excels in pass coverage and I intend to study him more in the coming weeks.

...you have a forum resume?
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, JPN!

I know we wanted a run thumper, you know like James Farrior or Kendall Bell but if we want to evolve into something better we may got to get Mosley, he's not bad at all and he's a player with great instinctive who can stay for passing downs.

This should allow Timmons to adapt Polamalu's role as a Joker when Polamalu become a strictly cover-2 safety (something I suspect in near future) and we shall continue throwing different looks. Thoughts, JPN?
jebrick

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poe was drafted not as a run stuffer ( which he is not) but as a pass rusher. That is why he went at 15. The only pure run stuffer with limited pass rushing capability went in the 4th round named Alameda Ta'amu.

Tell me which is more important to teams in the NFL today. A run stuffer or a pass rusher?

SteelProven

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
Poe was drafted not as a run stuffer ( which he is not) but as a pass rusher. That is why he went at 15. The only pure run stuffer with limited pass rushing capability went in the 4th round named Alameda Ta'amu.

Tell me which is more important to teams in the NFL today. A run stuffer or a pass rusher?

It depends on what defense you use. Ta'amu is a decent pass rusher, but for the defense he in he's not ask to be. The Steelers defense is built on stopping the run and 3-4 defense that aren't don't last as elite defense.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelerproven is right. You can't really use a sample of what kind of player he was/is. Otherwise this mock draft would have been so much more simplier. Its the scheme, position, and player's value. Now if you ask me, do I think jesse williams will be the best nose tackle in nfl? I honestly don't know but the best-kind of nose tackle that we want for our scheme, i'd say he give us the best opportunity at that.

Again, this is based on currently lebeau's scheme. That can change, but when a player offically got a 1st round grade, he's good enough for the steelers I can tell you that.

Btw the best run-stuffer for last draft class wasn't ta'amu, its josh chapman and he wasn't good as jesse williams is now with those injury history and limitation of one position. Jesse williams offer more and flexibility that we never had in any of our d-linemen we drafted could.

Best scenario, I would compare jesse williams to joe steed. Somebody who can play both positions and excel playing 3 downs.
jebrick

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
jebrick wrote:

It depends on what defense you use. Ta'amu is a decent pass rusher, but for the defense he in he's not ask to be. The Steelers defense is built on stopping the run and 3-4 defense that aren't don't last as elite defense.

Except not may teams play 2 gap. Houston, Dallas and GB do not. SD, Pitt and SF do. Not sure about Indy but tend to think not.

considering the amount of talent coming out that can either rush the passer or protect the passer or defend the pass or catch the pass. A run stuffer will fall to late 1st or early 20. It is proven every year that the teams want CB or pass rushers or OT.

Gatoradus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelerproven is right. You can't really use a sample of what kind of player he was/is. Otherwise this mock draft would have been so much more simplier. Its the scheme, position, and player's value. Now if you ask me, do I think jesse williams will be the best nose tackle in nfl? I honestly don't know but the best-kind of nose tackle that we want for our scheme, i'd say he give us the best opportunity at that.

Again, this is based on currently lebeau's scheme. That can change, but when a player offically got a 1st round grade, he's good enough for the steelers I can tell you that.

Btw the best run-stuffer for last draft class wasn't ta'amu, its josh chapman and he wasn't good as jesse williams is now with those injury history and limitation of one position. Jesse williams offer more and flexibility that we never had in any of our d-linemen we drafted could.

Best scenario, I would compare jesse williams to joe steed. Somebody who can play both positions and excel playing 3 downs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: