Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans sign former Raiders, Chiefs CB Stanford Routt
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Texans sign former Raiders, Chiefs CB Stanford Routt Reply with quote

Quote:
After working him out this morning, the Texans are going to sign CB Stanford Routt to take the roster spot vacated by CB Brice McCain.

http://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/statuses/276033534949470210
Tom Brady Tribute
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Coogs!

Don't mind the signing even if he WAS bad with the Chiefs. He is a better cover corner than Ball is. Laughing Adds depth.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
Go Coogs!

Don't mind the signing even if he WAS bad with the Chiefs. He is a better cover corner than Ball is. Laughing Adds depth.

I'd call Routt and Ball even, which means I'm not too high on Routt. Granted, not like there were any better options on the market; You take what you can get at this stage in the season.

I cringe if we have to rely heavily on Routt. We shall see...

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Marco79

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to be pissed if Harris isn't our nickel on sunday.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco79 wrote:
I am going to be pissed if Harris isn't our nickel on sunday.

As would I. Maybe not as irked if Ball was starting at NCB (still irked, mind you) but signing a guy off the street and starting him - against Tom Brady and Wes Welker, no less - is a recipie for a 31-21 drubbing, with Welker and Brady going nuts.

Whoever starts there has the toughest assignment a NCB can have in this league - Wes Welker. Routt probably doesn't have anything in the playbook down, and expecting anyone to learn that in six days is also asking too much.

This Brice McCain injury came at the worst time, against the worst opponent, with three games afterwards with similar players (Colts and TY Hilton/Donnie Avery and the Vikings with Percy Harvin). If we didn't punch our ticket into the playoffs already, I'd be pretty nervous...even though we HAVE punched our ticket in, I am pretty nervous.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Routt cleared waivers after being cut by the Chiefs on Monday. The 29-year-old allowed a dreadful 64.1 completion percentage, 491 yards, and three touchdowns in seven games as Kansas City's right corner this year, according to Pro Football Focus. Quarterbacks had an astronomical 111.9 rating throwing at Routt. Miami lost Richard Marshall (back) to injured reserve, Arizona has employed a rotation opposite Patrick Peterson, and Detroit's secondary has been ravaged by injuries. Routt should be able to find a job before season's end.
Related: Lions, Dolphins, Cardinals
Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter

Shocked I knew he was bad with the Chiefs this season, but not THAT bad.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
Quote:
Routt cleared waivers after being cut by the Chiefs on Monday. The 29-year-old allowed a dreadful 64.1 completion percentage, 491 yards, and three touchdowns in seven games as Kansas City's right corner this year, according to Pro Football Focus. Quarterbacks had an astronomical 111.9 rating throwing at Routt. Miami lost Richard Marshall (back) to injured reserve, Arizona has employed a rotation opposite Patrick Peterson, and Detroit's secondary has been ravaged by injuries. Routt should be able to find a job before season's end.
Related: Lions, Dolphins, Cardinals
Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter

Shocked I knew he was bad with the Chiefs this season, but not THAT bad.

Part of that has to be attributed to the Chiefs getting zero pass rush - Justin Houston has 9 sacks, IIRC...but outside of him, they get no pressure from anyone. Their front seven is either the worst front seven in football, or the worst coached front seven in football. Either way, QBs had ages to find an open WR against him, and with Brandon Flowers being a lockdown-esque CB, teams could keep him from impacting games by picking on Routt all day.

Doesn't make me feel better, just saying.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I thought he was pretty good with the raiders. What happened?
PAtexansFAN99

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great signing. Another guy who can cover. With our pass rush you don't have to be Darrelle Revis.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAtexansFAN99 wrote:
With our pass rush you don't have to be Darrelle Revis.

...not sure if you've been paying attention, but our pass rush has been a non-factor lately (save for JJ Watt). Getting to Jake Locker after knocking out his starting LT and RT isn't exactly a ringing endorsement to it suddenly coming back, either.

I'll say he was the best we could have, but not exactly a great signing. Mostly insurance, will probably be inactive in most games. If something happens to JJoe, K-Jax, Ball, Harris or Carmichael, I think we'd see Routt suit up...but that's it.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
treece300e

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone seen any additional details about the contract term and money? I'm guessing it's a one-year deal, but am looking for confirmation. How does that impact our salary cap this year/next year with him only playing a few games in the regular season?
buckwild

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treece300e wrote:
Has anyone seen any additional details about the contract term and money? I'm guessing it's a one-year deal, but am looking for confirmation. How does that impact our salary cap this year/next year with him only playing a few games in the regular season?

He is on a 2 moth contract til the end of the season. He is a body just to fill a roster spot that has a little experience in the NFL.

He stinks or he wouldn't be sitting on his couch waiting by the phone for a team to call in December.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
bunnyracin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most excited thing about this pick up to me is that he has a higher rating than Kareem in Madden. Someone told me he has a 82 rating haha but no maybe Vance and Wade can resurrect him to his days when he was with Nnamdi. As long as he sees the field before Carmichael, I'm good

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ServantofYHWH wrote:

I read on another site that when he got to K.C. he wanted to use the technique that he had learned and used in Oakland but that the K.C. coaching staff taught him a new technique and insisted that he use it. This lead to a bad relationship with the coaching staff. This sounds familiar because didn't we get our old DB coach Gibbs from K.C. and he insisted on changing the technique of our CB's from a back pedal to a shuffle that our guys had trouble with. As a result our secondary was terrible a few years ago. One of Wades strengths is that he adapts his defense to the strengths of his players instead of insisting on players conforming. I also think Vance Joseph is a very good DB and if anyone can turn Routt into a decent/good CB Joseph can.
ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
ServantofYHWH wrote:

I read on another site that when he got to K.C. he wanted to use the technique that he had learned and used in Oakland but that the K.C. coaching staff taught him a new technique and insisted that he use it. This lead to a bad relationship with the coaching staff. This sounds familiar because didn't we get our old DB coach Gibbs from K.C. and he insisted on changing the technique of our CB's from a back pedal to a shuffle that our guys had trouble with. As a result our secondary was terrible a few years ago. One of Wades strengths is that he adapts his defense to the strengths of his players instead of insisting on players conforming. I also think Vance Joseph is a very good DB and if anyone can turn Routt into a decent/good CB Joseph can.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that godawful shuffle Laughing

I liked the signing off the back. I didn't realize he was having a down year. Low risk high reward. I just hope we can see enough of him to make a judgment on whether to hold on to him or not

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: