Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Off Season Moves to turn Carolina into a Winner.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boondock

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigboi wrote:
FriendlyEnemy wrote:
Depending on how far he falls, I'd be so ready to pick up Marcus Lattimore. If we could get him in the top of the 4th that would be ideal.

Dude is done. He's not playing football for at least another year, maybe two. Now if they could pick up Robert Woods that would be good. Dude had a disappointing sophomore season, but he still puts in work.

Is it because he's slumping as a sophmore or because Marqise Lee is exploding this year? I believe the latter.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
bigboi wrote:
FriendlyEnemy wrote:
Depending on how far he falls, I'd be so ready to pick up Marcus Lattimore. If we could get him in the top of the 4th that would be ideal.

Dude is done. He's not playing football for at least another year, maybe two. Now if they could pick up Robert Woods that would be good. Dude had a disappointing sophomore season, but he still puts in work.

Is it because he's slumping as a sophmore or because Marqise Lee is exploding this year? I believe the latter.

A little of both, and I meant junior year. He had an injured ankle the whole season so he was a step slower and couldn't separate. This decreased his targets, but Lee was going to work the whole season also. Think of it kind of like the Alshon Jeffery situation, was supposed to be a top 15 maybe top5 player, but is going to fall to second round most likely and be a steal. Or the Panthers can just try to get Mike Wallace Razz
haggis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarolinaRoar wrote:
Catz Pajamaz wrote:

A. We cut Gross, draft Joeckel, pick up starting RG and a good rotational DT in free agency.

Thats counter productive. If we draft a starting LT we can move Gross to RT (where he should belong) and keep bell fully at RG.

yepp. looks like Carolina is out of the Joeckel sweepstakes now. They picking around 11-12 at this pace
haggis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Boondock I would draft Lattimore...he doesn't need to play next year and can be a steal..just get him strong and healthy
Toughguy77

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haggis wrote:
I agree with Boondock I would draft Lattimore...he doesn't need to play next year and can be a steal..just get him strong and healthy

Boondock never said he wanted Lattimore...You are talking about Friendlys opinion

*2013 NFC South Champions* Panthers
Mike Davis Watch
80 CAR 368 YDS 3TDS
FriendlyEnemy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigboi wrote:
FriendlyEnemy wrote:

He had a hyperextended knee, not multiple ligament tears. He is far from done. Lattimore was tearing people to shreds before he got hurt, so the talent is still definitely there. With modern medicine and technology I have no doubt that he can come back from this and be a successful back.

Just look at Thomas Davis. Look at Adrian Peterson. Both of these guys were "done" as well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus in the 4th would be brilliant marketing too, since 95% of SC cares nothing for the NFL. That'd sell some jerseys down here.

Turns out it was a dude.
OneBadCat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd for us to keep Ron and Dwan Edwards and then draft a DT in the early rounds. We need to nip the DT spot in the bud. Next years line would be the best Panthers d-line in probably 6 years.

Oddly enough I think it's possible that Johnathan Stewart could be on the trading block. I love the guy to death. But lets face it, no one will trade for Deangelo, and if we did we'd get nothing for him and I think we would also take a cap it. We've signed Mike Tolbert who is a more than capable receiving threat and short yardage player. We have some promising back ups in Armand Smith and Poole looked really good in the preseason.

I think Stewart is a top 5 RB but he keeps getting nicked up and we have to find ways to improve the team in other areas. Somethings got to give and we might want to trade Stewart before he loses his value.

I want Beason on the team next year. He will be back and him and Luke will just be amazing. I like DJ Campbell but I'm not convinced that he's the future at S. He could just be another Martin that looks good in a couple of games until he gets exposed.
Cypher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneBadCat wrote:
I'd for us to keep Ron and Dwan Edwards and then draft a DT in the early rounds. We need to nip the DT spot in the bud. Next years line would be the best Panthers d-line in probably 6 years.

Oddly enough I think it's possible that Johnathan Stewart could be on the trading block. I love the guy to death. But lets face it, no one will trade for Deangelo, and if we did we'd get nothing for him and I think we would also take a cap it. We've signed Mike Tolbert who is a more than capable receiving threat and short yardage player. We have some promising back ups in Armand Smith and Poole looked really good in the preseason.

I think Stewart is a top 5 RB but he keeps getting nicked up and we have to find ways to improve the team in other areas. Somethings got to give and we might want to trade Stewart before he loses his value.

I want Beason on the team next year. He will be back and him and Luke will just be amazing. I like DJ Campbell but I'm not convinced that he's the future at S. He could just be another Martin that looks good in a couple of games until he gets exposed.

Pretty sure the cap hit from trading/cutting Stewart would be significantly bigger than Williams.

NS922 wrote:
All on LOLton for page stretching to Green Idk what happened my phone graduated to ROFLtron
fretgod99

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Williams has $9.6M in signing bonus left, with $750K in other bonuses (likely roster and the like). Stewart has $5.4M in bonuses left, with $9M in other bonuses. Without knowing how the "other" bonuses are defined, it's hard to tell, but likely it'd be cheaper to cut Stewart. I'm guessing he was structured this way because of his injury history.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/deangelo-williams/
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/jonathan-stewart/

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
fretgod99

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, what needs to be done to make Carolina a contender is to get a good DT, another OT, at least one good S, but most importantly, rip out all the pages of Chud's playbook that don't have a play that was either called during the last 6 games of last season or the last 5-6 games of this season. Those are the only ones he can pick from.

Do that and Carolina would do quite well, I think.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Cypher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
Williams has $9.6M in signing bonus left, with $750K in other bonuses (likely roster and the like). Stewart has $5.4M in bonuses left, with $9M in other bonuses. Without knowing how the "other" bonuses are defined, it's hard to tell, but likely it'd be cheaper to cut Stewart. I'm guessing he was structured this way because of his injury history.

Based on that, since we don't know how the other bonuses work, and he's only finishing year one of that deal, i'd say it's likely cutting them would be relatively even cost-wise. In that case, i'd probably just keep both. The cap hits are simply too large.

NS922 wrote:
All on LOLton for page stretching to Green Idk what happened my phone graduated to ROFLtron
iknowcool

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:

So we're basically screwed either way?
fretgod99

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
fretgod99 wrote:

So we're basically screwed either way?
Assuming none of the extra bonus counts against the cap, it's actually not too bad of hit to cut Stewart. Still, considering the hits both of them would have on the cap next year if we keep them, it makes more sense to keep them both this year.

Stewart is going to be $2.8M and Williams will be $8.2M. Cutting Williams is $9M, cutting Stewart is at least $5.4M. Either way, like I've said before, it's more likely that they're both on the roster next year, then one of them is cut after 2013 or traded. It's possible for one of them to be cut or traded after June 1, because that would allow the cap hit to be disbursed over two years.

But, with the way Williams has been playing, I think it'd be silly to drop him, honestly. And since it'd be more expensive to cut Stewart than keep him (even if they move him after June 1, they'd be saving only $100K against the cap), it's be silly to drop him, too.

This, of course, is ignoring the possibility that there are built in provisions which allow for one of the players to be cut to circumvent the cap ( la Chris Johnson).

MrDrew wrote:
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, keep in mind that in a lot of circumstances, teams don't really factor in cap penalties/hits that much. Its always a huge talking point when people try to predict cuts, but teams often consider other reasons much more.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: