Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Off Season Moves to turn Carolina into a Winner.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
haggis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Off Season Moves to turn Carolina into a Winner. Reply with quote

Restructure Contracts
Jordan Gross [2013] 8.7m [2014] 6.7m
Chris Gamble [2013] 6.75m [2014] 7.95m

Cut Players
DeAngelo Williams [2013] 5.25m [2014] 4.75m
Dwan Edwards [2013] 3.65m

Something needs to be done here
*Jon Beason or Thomas Davis.
Davis has a huge bonus due next March and not sure Carolina will pay it. Cut him and resign him maybe.

Jon Beason has been made expendible by the play of Kueckly and beasons constant injuries of late

As it stands not sure who gets benched when healthy next year either. Carolina is playing a nice chuck of money to Davis, Beason, Anderson. and with Kueckly locking it down doesnt make sense to have a player make 4-5m to ride the bench.

Now can Davis move to his college position of Safety since Nakumura stinks? i would like to try this that way all the D playmakers hit the field.

2013 Free Agent Signings
(WR) Dwayne Bowe (Kansas City Chiefs)
Bowe would bring just as much an impact as Vincent Jackson has done for Tampa Bay. With Lavell on the other side this would open things up tremendously for Greg Olsen and be able to work Steve Smith in slot or anywhere.

(OG) Andy Levitre (Buffalo Bills)
Upgrading the left side of the line is paramount. Giving Cam just 1 extra sec per pass would be a huge boost. This will allow Silatalu to move to RG.

(WR) Ramses Barden (New York Giants)
A bargain player to push Lafell or maybe beat him out. A large beast of a man that showed he could play when Hakeem Nicks got hurt.

(RB) Jonathan Dwyer (Pittsburgh Steelers)
A player similar to Stewart and would be a reasonable price tag.

(DT) Glen Dorsey (Kansas City Chiefs)
Moving him back to a 4-3 defense will help him out. He is out of place in Kansas City and certainly will not sign with them.

2013 NFL Draft
I only worry about the 1st couple picks because anything after that is pretty pointless

Round 01:
[OT] Luke Joekel (Texas A&M)
Draft Luke will allow the restructuring of Jordan Gross to make sense. Gross moves to RT. This gives Carolina one of the best Offensive lines in football

Round 02:
[CB] David Amerson (NC State)
If not Amerson a Corner needs to be selected here. Not sure is Josh or Josh will pan out and Amerson is an upgrade over them IMO. Also with Gamble getting old there needs to be insurance anyway even with his contract restructured.

FB - Mike Tolbert
WR - Dwayne Bowe & Steve Smith
TE - Greg Olsen
LT - Luke Joeckel
LG - Andy Levitre
C - Ryan Kalil
RG - Amini Silatolu
RT - Jordan Gross.

DE - Charles Johnson
DE - Greg Hardy
DT - Ron Edwards
DT - Glen Dorsey
LB - James Anderson
LB - Luke kueckly
LB - Jon Beason
CB - David Amerson
Cb - Chris Gamble
S - Thomas Davis
S - Charles Godfrey
TROJANPANTHER

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Off Season Moves to turn Carolina into a Winner. Reply with quote

haggis wrote:

S - Thomas Davis

If he's our starting safety, then we're in serious trouble.

Carolina Kitten - Sig God.

NFL - Panthers
College - USC, UNM
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Off Season Moves to turn Carolina into a Winner. Reply with quote

TROJANPANTHER wrote:
haggis wrote:

S - Thomas Davis

If he's our starting safety, then we're in serious trouble.

Amerson would be our starting safety in that. He's a FS in the NFL, and would be a great playmaker in the 2nd round. Not at corner though.

A lot of this would be nice, but as with most projected offseasons, us signing 3 fairly high profile free agents and 2 other second tier guys is just not going to happen.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, when was the last time that signing that many free agents was a successful strategy?

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Smitty89

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it minus the Levitre signing, not enough cash to go around. Put Bell in at RG and let Aminu develop better at LG. Davis won't play safety, gained too much weight since college and is playing at a high level at OLB once again. The knee wouldn't hold either at safety.
Catz Pajamaz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're friggin dreamin man.

Realistically,

A. We cut Gross, draft Joeckel, pick up starting RG and a good rotational DT in free agency.

B. Cut Williams, Edwards, draft Hankins/Star, and pick up a starting guard in free agency.

Either of those moves will automatically get us in the right direction.

Free safety is also a huge need.

P90 on the signature

Gladiator420 wrote:
I have a super boner for Beason
Toughguy77

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you honestly think Stewart could be our #1 back and actually stay healthy for a complete season? My vote...no sir

Snag big bad RB Ed Lacey in the second (sorry McMurry kinda brain washed me)

*2013 NFC South Champions* Panthers
Gamecocks
OneBadCat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP I'm with you on everything except drafting a CB in the 2nd round. Gamble, Norman, Munnerlyn, and Thomas is a pretty good set CB's. Id rather us use that pick on a FS.

I'd restructure Jon Beason. Him and Keuchly could be an incredible duo. I know I keep saying it but it'd be like having Urlacher and Urlacher. I want to keep all of our LB's but I think Davis vs Anderson is a toss up. Davis is an incredible talent and he's staying healthy(knock on wood).

Dwan Edwards has been playing some great football and we need to keep him. I also say keep Ron Edwards.

Rid ourselves of Deangelo, Martin, Nakamura, Hangman. I'm pretty certain Gross will restructure.

I think Glen Dorsey would be an interesting pick up.

Gamble has plenty of football left in the tank. I don't see us signing Dwayne Bowe. He's not a long term option and would basically be a more expensive LaFell. We need a guy with vertical speed. Gettis has that but we've yet to see him on the field.

Draft wise I could see it going. OT, FS, WR, RB,
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneBadCat wrote:
OP I'm with you on everything except drafting a CB in the 2nd round. Gamble, Norman, Munnerlyn, and Thomas is a pretty good set CB's. Id rather us use that pick on a FS.

Amerson will be a FS in the NFL.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like alot of this but, there is no way dwayne will be a panther to much $$$. Dorsey would be nice but it would be alot cheaper and smarter to draft a DT with this draft class. i wouldnt mind Dwyer with stews injurie history. Ill pass on Levitre mainly bc i want jarvius instead lol. The draft has a ton of depth for interior linemen and amini is young and will be a beast. I can see us trading or cutting Williams. Dwan will be back. beason,smith,gross, TD, and maybe gamble will restructure due to injuries and age. that would free up room for the next 3 years. Olsen will resign next year.

draft
1st round
Star or hankins if star is gone
2nd round
Trade back into the late teens and get a 3rd or another 4th
take phillip thomas
the remaining draft i say we get another TE to help cam
a corner and few o-linemen and see what happens.

Are WR core is fine its not the best in the league but its a solide bunch of WR. IF gettis is healthy that helps smitty, lafell is developing into a #1 WR. joe adams, louis murphy, and pilares could all be upgraded but. i wouldnt count on it.
davlar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of moves need to be made to turn this team into a contender.

I think emphasising the offensive line and running game should be our focus. We have talent there in Stewart, Silatolu, Gross and Kalil. Williams should be released and a younger back (Tauren Poole is a favourite of mine already on the roster) brought in. The new GM cannot dump millions into the RB position; it is simply the wrong strategy.

If we could secure one free agent of the ones you mentioned, my favourite would be Levitre. He's a consistent player and would make our line - if we took an OT in the top ten - a feared unit.

To me, Cam Newton would thrive in an offense based on play action passing and a strong running game. He is one of the best passers in the league off play action - the numbers do not lie.

On defense, we need to add some pieces. The positions that are most valuable from a GM perspective when evaluating talent are DL and CB; these are the hardest positions to acquire elite talent. Frank Alexander/Greg Hardy/Charles Johnson/Thomas Keiser should be a fine rotation, but we could definitely do with adding a difference maker on the interior of the DL.

Obviously plenty needs to be done; I'm just hoping the new GM has the right attitude. The assistant GM of the Giants, whose name escapes me, would be ideal.

Thanks to JammerHammer21 for the sig - Let The Riv-Era Begin!
CarolinaRoar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catz Pajamaz wrote:

A. We cut Gross, draft Joeckel, pick up starting RG and a good rotational DT in free agency.

Thats counter productive. If we draft a starting LT we can move Gross to RT (where he should belong) and keep bell fully at RG.
Mad Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not as well thought out as some of the other posts, but this is what I would do:

1) Clean up the Hurney mistakes of which there are many. As I said in the other thread, I like DeAngelo better than Stewart. I would try to renegotiate both contracts, but be prepared to cut both if they don't work with the team. Not really sure of the contract implications, but DeAnglo is the RB that I like better.

2) Revamp the offensive and defensive lines. Hurney was completely negligent on this front, of course trading all the picks away compounded the problem. We desperately need some help inside on defense.

3) Beason needs to renegotiate big time. Panthers paid him tons of money and he hasn't played. If he isn't prepared to work with the team, then he has to be cut.

4) TD has to renegotiate too. He has played well, but it is time to move on if he won't play for a discount. Love the guy and I think he will work with the team as JR has treated him more than fairly.

5) I like Rivera but he hasn't shown too much. I also think Chud has not used Cam well. That said, I would retain the coaching staff for at least one more year. They have been close a lot of games and just haven't learned how to win.

6) We need to upgrade our defensive backfield. Mostly, I just want guys who can come in and compete with the guys who are already there. Would prefer to use the 1st rounder on a DT, but maybe a 2nd round Safety or CB would be good. Safety would be better, sucked Sherrod went down, but I he is a free agent and I don't see us resigning him. Hogan pick was ... another Hurney special.

7) Most important, stop trading up. Instead, let's start accumulating picks whenever possible.

Draft assuming no trades

1) DT
2) S
4) OT
5) WR
6) CB
FriendlyEnemy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on how far he falls, I'd be so ready to pick up Marcus Lattimore. If we could get him in the top of the 4th that would be ideal.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FriendlyEnemy wrote:
Depending on how far he falls, I'd be so ready to pick up Marcus Lattimore. If we could get him in the top of the 4th that would be ideal.

Dude is done. He's not playing football for at least another year, maybe two. Now if they could pick up Robert Woods that would be good. Dude had a disappointing sophomore season, but he still puts in work.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: