Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Te'o v. Tulloch
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrRay11

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Te'o v. Tulloch Reply with quote

I was just wondering. I feel Te'o is the superior defensive player in this draft - could be an Urlacher/Lewis type, IMO. If we happened to land him with our first rounder, in the past it had been said Tulloch could play OLB - what do we do with him in this scenario? Do we move him outside? Would it be worth exploring a trade? Does Te'o have the speed and athleticism to start outside?

Just a question to ponder as we head towards the draft. Felt like this directly involves a situation on our team it may be worth some focused discussion outside of the prospects thread.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good question.

I don't see Tully getting traded. He was signed here because of the Schwartz connection and Schwartz seems like the type of guy that would be loyal to his players signed in free agency. If my thoughts are correct (no guarantee) then Tulloch signed here because of Schwartz.

If he can't play outside I don't see them drafting another MLB.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
andjordand

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the wide 9 scheme there does not seem to be a great difference between OLB and MLB positions, other than who comes out on nickel defense. The gaps between the DT's are so huge you might as well have a OLB speed to needed to cover sideline to sideline. However, I'm not convinced this works the other way around, and I'm concerned that Tulloch needs a DT in front of him to clean up blockers, he may be too small to shed a pulling guard, or too short to effectively cover a TE. At where Te'o will be drafted, I'd rather address a need and draft Bjorn Werner, who's got the potential to be a similar player to JJ Watt IMO
Jrugges

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Werner is nothing like Wyatt. Werner is 6'3, 270lbs. Where Wyatt is a 6'5 monester near 300lbs.

Huge difference in both there styles even.

I think Te'O could play OLB untill Tullocks contract is up, I don't think it can be the other way arond really. Tullocks pretty soldi int he middle but I think it'd be asking him too much to go on the outside adn cover TEs/WR/RB consistently.
usedaschwartz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we might be in a great position for a Julio Jones type trade if Te'o is still on the board. I think a team like Baltimore would love to transition from Ray Lewis to Te'o.
Lionsfanforever

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usedaschwartz wrote:
I think we might be in a great position for a Julio Jones type trade if Te'o is still on the board. I think a team like Baltimore would love to transition from Ray Lewis to Te'o.

I love Te'o but he is not the next Ray Lewis.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionsfanforever wrote:
usedaschwartz wrote:

I don't think Julio was the next Jerry Rice or Calvin either, but someone might. Wink
Lionsfanforever

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usedaschwartz wrote:
Lionsfanforever wrote:
usedaschwartz wrote:

I don't think Julio was the next Jerry Rice or Calvin either, but someone might. Wink

The Ravens have a great FO and scouting department so I highly doubt we could trick them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me everything points to Teo bring better suited for OLB if it was between the two. He has better range, coverage skills and closing speed then Tulloch.

Tulloch the more sure tackler so best suited to stay inside

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
To me everything points to Teo bring better suited for OLB if it was between the two. He has better range, coverage skills and closing speed then Tulloch.

I think Teo is a better MLB and Tulloch can't cover and it leaves a big open spot in the passing game for the opposition.
Jrugges

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:

I'm going to agree with this. Tulloch is just so much better at MLB than OLB that he'd have to play MLB and force Te'O to OLB just because Te'O can still play effectively at OLB, imo.
DrRay11

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrugges wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:

I'm going to agree with this. Tulloch is just so much better at MLB than OLB that he'd have to play MLB and force Te'O to OLB just because Te'O can still play effectively at OLB, imo.

I think I'm in the same boat also.
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cant take the best mlb prospect since forever and make him an olb. You either use him as trafe bait or you pick someone else
DrRay11

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
You cant take the best mlb prospect since forever and make him an olb. You either use him as trafe bait or you pick someone else

You could use him at OLB until you replace Tulloch. It's a decent way to learn the scheme, you can still be a leader in that case.
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:

You could use him at OLB until you replace Tulloch. It's a decent way to learn the scheme, you can still be a leader in that case.

That would be 5 years from now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: