Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2012 Quarterback Quagmire - Quinn: Quixotic or Quality?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rumless

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: 2012 Quarterback Quagmire - Quinn: Quixotic or Quality? Reply with quote

Well, Quinn had a very nice game against the Panthers. Some feel that if he can maintain that level of play, we don't need a quarterback in the first round of 2013. Some feel that Quinn beat up on a weak defense and this was his only positive performance of his entire career, perhaps.

To me, Quinn had the best game of a QB since Cassel's first-half performance against Atlanta, and prior to that Orton was the only highlight at QB during 2010/2011. I wouldn't mind seeing him in an open competition for starter with whatever QBs we bring in (preferably a first-round pick, of course).

What are your thoughts on where Quinn should stand with the future of the Chiefs? Should he be brought back in 2013? Or made to walk and never remembered, save for his incredible good looks and enviable six-pack?

In fact, I'm not sure he's better than our very own London Fletcher.[/quote]
hornbybrown

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope he works out for you guys.

I like Brady Quinn (even more so after reading what he said in the press conference after the game) and the Chiefs would be in my top 3-4 favorite teams in the NFL. Maybe evenmy second team.

Just if he was not to play so well this week that would be good.

Adopt a Brown 2014
Miles Austin
Pierre Desir
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever happens - this team can't go forward without an experienced QB. Stanzi is not, Tanney even less. Quinn provides some experience and will gain some more over the rest of the season. Cassel more than likely is out - I think it would be better for him (and probably also the team) to move on.

Thus, unless they bring in another experienced QB who could step up as a starter immediately they need to keep Quinn.

This of course assumes they draft a possible QBOTF. Going with Quinn as the dedicated starter: well, I'd have some issues with that for now.

Either way: I'm looking forward to seeing more of Quinn. Wonder if he will be able to repeat his CAR performance. If so the question of drafting a QBOTF may become a moot point as most bottom feeders right now may look for QB help in the draft.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope a new GM and coaching staff will evaluate Brady Quinn and make a decision to bring him back or not. If Pioli & co. stay, I could see Quinn and Cassel retained with the "new" idea of Quinn being the front-runner instead of Cassel this time. That would be nothing more than re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic IMO.

Honestly, if I were a new GM, I would atleast consider bringing Quinn back as a backup.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quinn should try and get a deal with State Farm because IMO at best he's an insurance policy going forward. "Double Discount - Cut Me a Check" maybe?

Anyway, if he has an Orton like last few games for us, leading us to a couple of more victories, our options in the draft might be limited anyway. If we win say 2 more games, we're possibly out of the top 5, which will almost certainly put us out of reach of Geno with Jax, Philly, and possibly Oakland in front of us looking strongly at QB.

Honestly, I'd be OK with that, as I've stated before. We could then either take someone like Wilson at better value, trade back and add more early picks and still take Wilson, or take a true blue chip type in the 1st and QB like Dysert in the 2nd.

^ryknowssd on the sig
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really starting to like the possibility of drafting Mike Glennon. Heck, if our new GM doesn't think there is as big of a gap between Geno Smith and Mike Glennon as most believe, I wouldn't be opposed to cashing in on Smith by trading down from the #1 spot with a team like Arizona for example and end up grabbing Glennon at the top of round 2 or by trading back into the bottom of round 1 if we think he might be gone by our second pick.

EB29

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I would love to land a blue chip prospect at the top of this draft and have it work out. It would need to play out exactly right for me. I don't think you can come back to this fan base after draft day and have our selections go something like

1st overall pick in the draft : DL/LB
33 Pick : QB

But if we could trade down a few spots snag some healthy compensation I could see where the above picks would be much easier to sell to the fan base.

JTagg7754 with the Dope Sig ^^

Jon Gruden wrote:
Great Snatch catch ability there by Nicks
brawl.kc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you think that Brady Quinn is the guy going forward, you have such a small sample size that you have to still go out and get the best available QB in the off-season. I don't care if you have to draft or sign or trade for him. If Quinn manages to hold off the new guy, so be it. Whether that be for a season or a career, who cares? You can't really argue the possibility of having two quality guys on the roster.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EB29 wrote:
As much as I would love to land a blue chip prospect at the top of this draft and have it work out. It would need to play out exactly right for me. I don't think you can come back to this fan base after draft day and have our selections go something like

But if we could trade down a few spots snag some healthy compensation I could see where the above picks would be much easier to sell to the fan base.

I can see a scenario where we get established and respected HC/GM like say Cowher/Reid and Marty/Marc Ross, etc., where we could say take a defender in the 1st, and then come back and get a Manuel or Dysert type in the 2nd.

I may be a nervous wreck that 21hrs or so from pick the end of the 1st until the next day when we pick again in the 2nd, but it'd certainly be a tenable situation IMO.

If we drafted say Te'o and then Dysert with Cowher as our HC, do we really think that wouldn't go over well with the fans?

^ryknowssd on the sig
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
EB29 wrote:

I can see a scenario where we get established and respected HC/GM like say Cowher/Reid and Marty/Marc Ross, etc., where we could say take a defender in the 1st, and then come back and get a Manuel or Dysert type in the 2nd.

I may be a nervous wreck that 21hrs or so from pick the end of the 1st until the next day when we pick again in the 2nd, but it'd certainly be a tenable situation IMO.

If we drafted say Te'o and then Dysert with Cowher as our HC, do we really think that wouldn't go over well with the fans?

Bigs, you no likey Glennon? Manuel has really disappointed me at the end of the season. Are you getting on the Te'o bandwagon? I really don't like the idea of drafting him #1 overall.

bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
bigschmadt00 wrote:
EB29 wrote:

Bigs, you no likey Glennon? Manuel has really disappointed me at the end of the season. Are you getting on the Te'o bandwagon? I really don't like the idea of drafting him #1 overall.

No, I'm going Quinnsane in the membrane!!!

I was basing this whole concept off a strong finish by Quinn in which we win at least 2 more games, thus putting us around #5-6 overall. We'd then have options. There taking Te'o isn't as big of a deal. Trading out should be much easier. "Reaching" for Wilson also wouldn't be as big of a deal.

I have no watched enough of Glennon to form a solid opinion, but from what I've seen, I'd take Dysert over him. I've seen too many bad decisions from Glennon in the little I've watched.

I was only mentioning Manuel because I know he's your brother in law, and didn't want you to have to be the only one to talk him up.

And PS, I'm not a big fan of the idea of drafting Te'o in the 1st, but I also know what happened after DT's death. While obviously completely different circumstances off the field, I worry that on the field it has a similar effect. Adding someone like Te'o to replace Belcher will go a long way towards moving on IMO.

^ryknowssd on the sig
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
bigschmadt00 wrote:
EB29 wrote:

No, I'm going Quinnsane in the membrane!!!

I was basing this whole concept off a strong finish by Quinn in which we win at least 2 more games, thus putting us around #5-6 overall. We'd then have options. There taking Te'o isn't as big of a deal. Trading out should be much easier. "Reaching" for Wilson also wouldn't be as big of a deal.

I have no watched enough of Glennon to form a solid opinion, but from what I've seen, I'd take Dysert over him. I've seen too many bad decisions from Glennon in the little I've watched.

I was only mentioning Manuel because I know he's your brother in law, and didn't want you to have to be the only one to talk him up.

And PS, I'm not a big fan of the idea of drafting Te'o in the 1st, but I also know what happened after DT's death. While obviously completely different circumstances off the field, I worry that on the field it has a similar effect. Adding someone like Te'o to replace Belcher will go a long way towards moving on IMO.

You've seen Dysert? I haven't had a chance to watch any Miami (OH) games - I was really hoping to catch a game or two. I guess since you are living in the backwoods of Kentucky you're probably in the Ohio sports region.

I would also add that Glennon definitely wasn't helped much by his receiving corps this year as every game I watched seemed to have atleast 5 or more dropped passes.

bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the youtube clips of every throw he made against Ohio State and Boise State, each 2-3 times. It is by no means an end all be all, but when you see every throw, I get a little better feeling then a straight highlight reel. Admittedly, it's not enough, but I've seen similar stuff from Glennon, plus some of the game against Clemson.

Dysert has even less help then Glennon. IIRC they are the worst rushing team in FBS. He's their leading rusher with like 500yds or something. In that Ohio State game he was awesome, putting at least 90% of his balls on the money, but his WR's must have dropped 8 out of 10. Against Boise he wasn't nearly as on, but still did really well.

^ryknowssd on the sig
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me or as more and more people dump on this quarterback class and start picking Geno Smith apart, the more I think about the Atlanta Falcons when they drafted Matt Ryan. Nobody was crazy about Matt Ryan coming out of Boston College. Stats are not a be-all-end-all, but during his college career he passed for under 60% completion percentage. For his senior year he passed for 31 touchdowns and 19 interceptions.

Matt Ryan helped turn a team in complete disarray into a perennial playoff contender.

I really think people are suffering from a QB talent hangover from what might end up being one of the better draft classes for the position in 2012.

Mikek163

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
Is it just me or as more and more people dump on this quarterback class and start picking Geno Smith apart, the more I think about the Atlanta Falcons when they drafted Matt Ryan. Nobody was crazy about Matt Ryan coming out of Boston College. Stats are not a be-all-end-all, but during his college career he passed for under 60% completion percentage. For his senior year he passed for 31 touchdowns and 19 interceptions.

Matt Ryan helped turn a team in complete disarray into a perennial playoff contender.

I really think people are suffering from a QB talent hangover from what might end up being one of the better draft classes for the position in 2012.

While I agree with everything you just said I dont like the analogy to Matt Ryan. I am one of the biggest doubters of Matt Ryan alive. I think he is a product of his GM constantly drafting or signing guys to help make him better while sacrificing the betterment of his team. Atlanta will lose again in the playoffs (this time at home) and it will be rinse and repeat all over again for Matt Ryan and his GM.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: