Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jim Haslett
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcus21

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 3-4 is here to stay as long as Shanny is here. Its the D he wants to run. I think its exceptional what Haslett has been able to accomplish with our secondary. Josh Wilson is the only corner on the team worth mentioning, and he is a nickle corner at best. We dont have a FS on the roster. We are playing with backup SS who are terrible against the pass.....decent against the run. One of the worst pass rushes in the league(27th in sacks). If he can get us through the next 4 games where the D doesnt loose it for us, then he deserves mention for caoch of the year! I was very tough on him earlier in the year, but the way he has been able to get production out of this D is amazing! I realize every team deals with injuries and suspensions, but this is extreme. (best pass rusher, best D linemen, starting SS, starting FS, Nickle corner). I just dont see any coach getting anymore production out of this unit. Give the guy some players to work with, and judge him on that!
Dashing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim needs to go period . Im sorry we are getting love because just a few weeks ago it was without a doubt D worst D ever and right now we are atleast seeing our guys cover and tackle instead of tackling 20 yards down before they get close to our endzone.

We have options for a better DC and Jim needs to go this is how you fool your selves of messing up the team. We need a DC who is consistent and can pick his guys .

Our pass rush sucks but luckly the secondary been better and the run D been pretty consistent but other than that it was horrible but right now no i dont want jim back i think our D is held back. Will admit not all of it his fault but he is easy to gameplain and in NY if not for some holding calls Gmen could of got 23 atleast.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
Dashing wrote:
No he needs to still be fired. Luckly for us how ever our goal line stands are good but we had penalities to save our day but our D did hold them down but also is still not that good.

Jim still needs to go and the D needs to get better but for now it has improved these past 3 weeks but again dont be fooled.

Kudos to Dhall and the secondary which has improved lately but still needs upgrades as our DL does too. Im still down for a 4-3 switch but we do have some better DC's for the 3-4 .
I generally attribute midseason improve to a squad to the coaching staff. I think Haslett has found a way to get this makeshift bunch of players to gell. We had a bunch of key injuries which shocked the group but they've adapted. I think Haslett should be here next year.
i totally agree, mknight82. I've been saying the same thing all year long. I'm 99% sure he'll be back. ShanAllen realize how much injuries crippled the defense this year and that the secondary didn't have that much talent even before Meriweather' s injury. I don't think they're blind to those things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
daboyle250

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it his fault the players our secondary is bad? His play calling can be questionable at times but we don't have the guys to help his defense thrive. Hall and Wilson haven't played well, we only had one game where we has a decent safety because of injuries. Hall is paid to be our #1 corner but his ego basically makes things hard for us. Haslett needs another year to gain weapons, get Orakpo, Carriker, and Meriweather back and bam! Our defense is pretty good.

DCRED wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
I'm still cleaning up the stains in my pants! Laughing
Ewwww.
worse thing is they've been there since Shanahan was fired
a2piece89

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daboyle250 wrote:
Is it his fault the players our secondary is bad? His play calling can be questionable at times but we don't have the guys to help his defense thrive. Hall and Wilson haven't played well, we only had one game where we has a decent safety because of injuries. Hall is paid to be our #1 corner but his ego basically makes things hard for us. Haslett needs another year to gain weapons, get Orakpo, Carriker, and Meriweather back and bam! Our defense is pretty good.
he was bad even when he had weapons, Orakpo , Carlos ,etc. adding better players in the secondary would just mask his bad play calling not maximize the potential.frankly, there are better options and he never should have been signed in the first place. He needs to be weeded out now before we get to a Super Bowl one day and he starts choking again

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is secondary is pitiful. You have to give credit to Haslett for making adjustments and getting anthing out of this D. Like I said before, Im not sure any coach in the NFL could have done more with this group. Think about it.........We dont have a FS on our roster! 27th pass rush in the NFL! Injuries in key positions! He has managed to keep us in games. What more could you ask from this group.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a2piece89 wrote:
daboyle250 wrote:
he was bad even when he had weapons, Orakpo , Carlos ,etc. adding better players in the secondary would just mask his bad play calling not maximize the potential.frankly, there are better options and he never should have been signed in the first place. He needs to be weeded out now before we get to a Super Bowl one day and he starts choking again
jim Hasslett inherited an aged D, injury prone D and two problems that were unsolvable for different reasons Haynesworth and Landry.

It resulted in a 31st ranking in 2010 when transitioning from the 4-3 to 3-4 without two of our 4 best defenders most of the year. (Haynesworth and Landry)

last year we were 13th in overall defense, 12th vs the pass when we had better safety play. We were also more healthy upfront (except for JArvis Jenkins) and were tied with 4 other teams for 10th in the NFL in sacks. (Most of the year we were top 10 until the last few games of the year).

This year, injuries have killed his defense! we lost our best pass rusher, arguably best DL and arguably best Db to season ending injuies, and Fletcher has been playing on one leg all year.

Those injuries have effected every level of this defense and are impossible to overcome for a defense to be as good as it was even last year. If people don't see that and admit that frankly, they don't understand football and they are down right blind and oblivious to our problems as a team.

We are 4th in the NFL in rush defense and have only given up 7 rushing TDs all year long.

Hasslett has tried everything with this defense from different personnel groupings, different blitz packages, different coverages, you name it- he's tried it. The fact remains that injuries killed us up front- which is our strength and we can't overcome them as no team would either. The fact also remains that ShanAllen did not "upgrade" the talent level in the secondary this past offseason.

Do people expect Hasslett to pull off some kind of miracle?

The secondary can't cover. EVEN on 3 step drops! It's effin sickening and on a three step drop the pass rush can't get there fast enough. The secondary has blown coverages every game and can't seem to follow assignments. The players have failed, not the coach. I believe he's doing and has done all he can with what he has to work with.

Now- if Hasslett returns with a healthy Adam Carriker, Healthy Brian Orakpo, healthy Brandon Meriweather, healthier London Fletcher, and a new FS along with a few upgrades at cb- I believe this defense will be top 10 in 2012.

Think about it. When our front 7 is healthy it masks bad Db play and we are 12th in pass defense. This year we are 4th in rush defense. Next year if we combine those things and stay healthy we have a top 10 defense!

Why are people blind to this analysis and these truths?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Houston gave up a total of 68 points vs Jacksonville and Detroit! Fire Wade Phillips

He can't coach Laughing
footy_29

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't expect Haslett to be fired, but I would like him to be. Imagine this defense with Romeo Crennel as the coordinator.

Blknite01's masterpiece
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

footy_29 wrote:
I don't expect Haslett to be fired, but I would like him to be. Imagine this defense with Romeo Crennel as the coordinator.
without a healthy Orakpo, Kerrigan, Meriweather, Fletcher and an upgrade at CB and FS this defense would be exactly the same. Wink

If we aren't healthy and don't get upgraded in a few spots, the coach won't matter.

Here is your Romeo Crennel coached chiefs Defense:

YARDS: 349.2- 16th

PASS YDS: 219.9- 9th

RUSH YDS: 129.3- 26th

And this is with almost all their defenders healthy.

Other than in pass D because he has berry, Lewis, Flowers and arenas. They aren't better than us and that's with everyone healthy.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000105942/article/robert-griffin-iii-redskins-getting-big-boost-from-defense?campaign=Ext_Email_NL_14_NFL&cvosrc=Ext.Email.NL.14.NFL

Quote:
Though the unit has been missing a few key players -- most notably Brian Orakpo, Washington's best pass rusher, whose season was ended by injury in September -- the Redskins' defense has played soundly since the team's Week 10 bye. The Redskins have kept the ball from being thrown over their heads and have done a much better job against opposing offenses in the red zone. Monday night's performance, in which the Giants were limited to 16 points despite having the ball for more than 33 minutes, was one of Washington's best defensive outings of the season.

Points allowed, red-zone success and third-down conversions allowed in the red zone are the true barometers of defensive health, and the Redskins have improved in all three categories since returning from their bye week.

The unit is never going to be a shutdown defense, based on its talent level; RG3 and the rest of the offense will have to keep carrying the bulk of the load for Washington. But the Redskins' defense can continue to play a complementary role; after all, every stop they earn presents the offense with another chance to build a lead. After the bye week, the Skins have demonstrated a clearer understanding of how to deal with their problems.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on our D this year and the amazing job that Jim Hasslett has done since the bye week with the mostly injured, talent lacking D that Shanahan and Allen gave him this season.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://m.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/redskins-beleaguered-defense-finally-doing-its-part-with-second-half-improvements/2012/12/13/5f9274c0-4564-11e2-8c8f-fbebf7ccab4e_story.html?wprss=rss_redskins

More on what a great job Hasslett has done despite major injuries and lack of talent. Especially with his adjustments as of late after halftime.

Quote:
“Obviously we know what teams came out and did in the first half,” defensive end Jarvis Jenkins said. “I think we’ve just got to eliminate the mistakes we make in the first half. The second half, we get a good grip on what to expect. The first half of this last game, we didn’t really stop the run. . . . I’ve been preaching this for the last three weeks: If we can play two halves together, we can be a special defense. But it starts with focus.”

Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett said the Redskins’ second-half improvement against the Ravens stemmed from a combination of strategic changes and better execution of fundamentals.

“After that first drive, we started correcting some things that we messed up,” Haslett said. “From a game plan standpoint, we changed some things at halftime. But from a technique standpoint, we were correcting, trying to get better [throughout the game]. You’re always doing that on the sideline.”
nice to hear that Jarvis Jenkins is stepping up and being a vocal leader.
Dashing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant believe you guys wanna keep him. Our D been better but its like 5 ranks better which is like in the 20's and its not good.

We destroyed a bad eagles offense .

We where doing good against Dallas but almost chocked the lead

The Giants didn't do nothing 4th Q but penalities and miss throws and catches from the giants also saved us.

The Ravens scored 28 points and finally realized that blitzing and going man to man was the thing we should of been doing all year long.

We need a better DC and better D players period. Dont be fooled man please.
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dashing wrote:
I cant believe you guys wanna keep him. Our D been better but its like 5 ranks better which is like in the 20's and its not good.

The Giants didn't do nothing 4th Q but penalities and miss throws and catches from the giants also saved us.

The Ravens scored 28 points and finally realized that blitzing and going man to man was the thing we should of been doing all year long.

our D has the worst talented secondary in the league- not Hasslet's fault
Dashing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Dashing wrote:

our D has the worst talented secondary in the league- not Hasslet's fault

Our Secondary has some talent Dhall is a former pro-bowler and Wilson was a ball hawk in Seattle and Bmore. Madeiu Williams is not the same but can stop the run and Doughty too. I know its not the best but still our D can be so much better why keep Haslett ? his D hasnt been that great at all.

hire Romeo Crennel , Sign a FS and move Cofield to LE and get that NT you want and we will be better we can be better another CB like Grimes or whom ever else is an upgrade.

Note we also need a better 3-4 DL , Jenkins did better in the Ravens game but Id like to sign Cullen Jenkins to a one year deal and put him at RE and let Bowen be a situational guy since he was a very good player and this would make our DL better while the 3-4 LB's have been better so far too.

My moves -Byrd-Romeo Crennel-Brent Grimes-Cullen Jenkins- draft or sign a 2nd round NT- Re-sign/Tanard Jackson and Meriweather .

And our D would be better already and those players are affordable .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: