Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jim Haslett
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MKnight82

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Jim Haslett Reply with quote

He took a lot of criticism when the team was losing early in the year. Although I'd say the main reason we're on this winning streak is the offense the defense has been adjusted enough to give us a chance at winning the game (especially the win vs the Giants). I think Haslett has done a good job at disguising some of the weaknesses of the defense. It may have taken him a few weeks to figure it out but I think he deserves some respect at this point. Thoughts?
A TRAIN 89

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree to an extent. What it boils down to is that he doesn't have the personnel to do the type of things he wants.
bowilson11

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Jim Haslett Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
He took a lot of criticism when the team was losing early in the year. Although I'd say the main reason we're on this winning streak is the offense the defense has been adjusted enough to give us a chance at winning the game (especially the win vs the Giants). I think Haslett has done a good job at disguising some of the weaknesses of the defense. It may have taken him a few weeks to figure it out but I think he deserves some respect at this point. Thoughts?
MKnight82, I concur with your assessment of the Defense. They have been playing bend but don't break football of late. It was a little scary in the Dallas game because we went in that prevent defense mode too early, but I have seen an improvement. I also think that we need to bring pressure earlier in the game. Manning uniform stayed clean in the first half and he was picking us apart. Thanks to those penalties we were able to stay close.
Dashing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No he needs to still be fired. Luckly for us how ever our goal line stands are good but we had penalities to save our day but our D did hold them down but also is still not that good.

Jim still needs to go and the D needs to get better but for now it has improved these past 3 weeks but again dont be fooled.

Kudos to Dhall and the secondary which has improved lately but still needs upgrades as our DL does too. Im still down for a 4-3 switch but we do have some better DC's for the 3-4 .
MKnight82

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dashing wrote:
No he needs to still be fired. Luckly for us how ever our goal line stands are good but we had penalities to save our day but our D did hold them down but also is still not that good.

Jim still needs to go and the D needs to get better but for now it has improved these past 3 weeks but again dont be fooled.

Kudos to Dhall and the secondary which has improved lately but still needs upgrades as our DL does too. Im still down for a 4-3 switch but we do have some better DC's for the 3-4 .
I generally attribute midseason improve to a squad to the coaching staff. I think Haslett has found a way to get this makeshift bunch of players to gell. We had a bunch of key injuries which shocked the group but they've adapted. I think Haslett should be here next year.
Dashing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
Dashing wrote:

I generally attribute midseason improve to a squad to the coaching staff. I think Haslett has found a way to get this makeshift bunch of players to gell. We had a bunch of key injuries which shocked the group but they've adapted. I think Haslett should be here next year.

No please no . Our team should be better than just 6-6 lets face it before the eagles game our D was dead to last horrible.

No way we should re-sign jim we need to really look into if we want to keep the 3-4 and find a NT and move Cofield to LE or we go to the 4-3 which I believe fits our team more .But if we stay 3-4 than you have Spanos and Rex Ryan as well as Romeo Crennel and Manginni in the market and any of those coordinators are improvements.

I will admit the eagles game was legit the giants game i felt got better in the 4th Q but felt like we couldn't really stop em with the clock on there side but ill give jim props its been better but not enough for him to stay.
MKnight82

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dashing wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
Dashing wrote:

No please no . Our team should be better than just 6-6 lets face it before the eagles game our D was dead to last horrible.

No way we should re-sign jim we need to really look into if we want to keep the 3-4 and find a NT and move Cofield to LE or we go to the 4-3 which I believe fits our team more .But if we stay 3-4 than you have Spanos and Rex Ryan as well as Romeo Crennel and Manginni in the market and any of those coordinators are improvements.

I will admit the eagles game was legit the giants game i felt got better in the 4th Q but felt like we couldn't really stop em with the clock on there side but ill give jim props its been better but not enough for him to stay.
People are human, they are met with adversity. Haslett has adapted to this adversity (losing star players) to the best of his ability. We are winning games. I think he has done a good job.

Also I think the debate of the 3-4 defense is an entirely different topic than Haslett's job. Just know that we have switched to it and we won't be going back. Also, Cofield may not have quite the girth of a prototype 3-4 NT but he has played relatively well there (beyond my expectations). He's more of a run stuffer so it fits his style I don't see how moving him to end will improve the defense. Also, I believe we should move Jenkins to backup NT and draft a new DE to put in the rotation, someone who can get some pressure (even if it means taking in the 2nd round).
PARROTHEAD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jims done a nice job the last few weeks.
Hes doing more with less than any team out there. Cause no team really has less with losing its best to injury.

Rak would of made a difference with the way Eli was rolling out from slow pressure. Carr would of made a difference in helping Kerr roll around easier. And the DBs look absolutely clueless on some plays. Which isnt a shock when what some consider the best cb on the team is a complete moron like Hall.

I actually want Jim around once a few pieces of DB talent is brought in to see how much more pressure he can apply. Cause hes good at designing and disguising that when hes not keeping pressure back to help cover from pathetic DBs.

Trinidad: Where a man is born a man. Not a PC wimp.. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!
21 ALL THE WAY

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A TRAIN 89 wrote:
I agree to an extent. What it boils down to is that he doesn't have the personnel to do the type of things he wants.

And with that said, play to your player's ability instead of leaving them look like they don't belong on the field. Hall really played good in man to man (outside of that one big play to Cruz) and I hope we can keep it up. I'm not in favor of the constant blitz with no pressure (leaving deffender's one on one and the opposing QB with all day to throw the ball) but as long as we come out with a win I can deal with it. I still hold my position in wanting a new DC come next year and we would be more successful in a 4-3 rather than 3-4.

Last edited by 21 ALL THE WAY on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
mike23md

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that our personnel are best suited for the 4-3. But right now we are winning with the 3-4. It was not pretty for a long stretch of games there. But things are starting to come around. The team has had a wake up call and they have had to adjust, play harder, smarter, and be accountable.

Lets face one thing that happened last night that was a good thing. We did not win the yellow flag throwing contest.

We committed less penatlties than the Giants and that was a key to the game.

The defense had 3 key stops in the second half that made them punt. Our defense is not stellar, nor are they middle of the road, but for now they are getting us in positions to win and letting the offense take care of getting points.

With a full slate of healthy players, we can be a top 10 defense. I still think that we have to drop D Hall. Draft a CB/S that is going to play solid man to man coverage.

But I dont think that Haslett should be let go just yet. He drew up a lot of confusion last night for Eli. Gotta do the same for Flacco and here on out. But Haslett coached a good game last night.

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
TLSkins

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't really expect our secondary to hold down the passing game with little to no pressure. Whether you hate Haslett or not, our defense has come up big when we needed them most the past few weeks.

I believe Haslett should get one more year. Address the CB+Safety in the off season and see what he does with Orakpo and Carriker back. I don't see how you can expect any DC to perform well with what we have.
kerrdawg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand how some of you are still saying our we are built for a 4-3. Cofeild has played very good at NT this year (just look at how well we've done against the run) and Baker was born to play as a 3-4 NT. Bowen, Carriker, and Jenkins are all prototypical 3-4 DEs. If we play Kerrigan and Orakpo as 4-3 ends, teams will have a field day running on us.

Haslett has done an excellent job of adjusting the defense since the bye week. It's in his nature to be aggressive and it's extremely hard for people to go against there nature. But Haslett realized he doesn't have the personnel to be aggressive and has played it safe. Let the other team make mistakes, and only throw in occasional blitzes to take the opponent by surprise.
Ktizzzlee21

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO Haslet deserves another year or two to build our defense.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know how I feel. I always thought he was getting way too much blame for the struggles we all know this defense would have this season because of a lack of talent in the secondary and age in the secondary. Then, our best pass rusher and arguably best DL get hurt, who were going to help mask the deficiencies in our secondary.

Anyways. I thought we would struggle when Orakpo, Carriker and Meriweather got hurt.

It's not all Hasslet's fault and he's called all kind of different coverages and blitzes with different personnel but most of the time the players blew coverages and failed assignments.

In the end. Same message- upgrade the secondary. Get younger, cheaper and more athletic

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
The team has had a wake up call and they have had to adjust, play harder, smarter, and be accountable.

Lets face one thing that happened last night that was a good thing. We did not win the yellow flag throwing contest.

We committed less penatlties than the Giants and that was a key to the game.

The defense had 3 key stops in the second half that made them punt. Our defense is not stellar, nor are they middle of the road, but for now they are getting us in positions to win and letting the offense take care of getting points.

With a full slate of healthy players, we can be a top 10 defense. I still think that we have to drop D Hall. Draft a CB/S that is going to play solid man to man coverage.

But I dont think that Haslett should be let go just yet. He drew up a lot of confusion last night for Eli. Gotta do the same for Flacco and here on out. But Haslett coached a good game last night.
i totally agree with mikes write up except for his first two sentences about our personnel and 4-3 being better for us to run right now. I don't believe that is true. We've worked for two years to get 3-4 personnel and I believe we have the guys, minus a few, getting healthy and some tweaks upfront to be a top 10 defense in the league.

Great post like usual mike23 Wink

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: