Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Monday Night Football: Patriots vs. Texans
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
tonyto3690


Joined: 29 Jan 2010
Posts: 5506
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
JLaurinaitis_55 wrote:
Hey question for you guys, how much longer is Gronkowski going to be out for?


If he comes back at all during the regular season I'd be very surprised.


I think the last game of the season he will come back and be used primarily as a blocker just to help get him some momentum going into the playoffs.
_________________
C0LTSFAN4L1F3 wrote:

Drew Brees IS the most accurate qb ever

Brees that night:
28/50, 341 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sciz


Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 15642
Location: Iowa
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonyto3690 wrote:
I think the last game of the season he will come back and be used primarily as a blocker just to help get him some momentum going into the playoffs.
He's going to be able to catch before he can block. Right when he was hurt, there was talk that he could be back as early as the 49ers game, but only as a receiver.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Billy Spikes


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 38455
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ref for the game is Terry McAulay.


_________________
#JDI
Official Roster Cutdowns Thread
All Time Top Ten Safeties Ranking
Tom Brady Tribute
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EliteTexan80


Most Valuable Poster
Joined: 30 Apr 2007
Posts: 38048
Location: Three time Mr. fanTASTic!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Monday Night Football: Patriots vs. Texans Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:


...my goodness, he looks like Butthead. REALLY! All he needs is a gray "AC/DC" shirt and very short red shorts.

Seriously, tell me that these two ain't twins:



Anywho - Pats by 10. Texans secondary can't seem to stop Henne, for crying out loud. Brady might break 2,000 yards in this game alone.

Good luck, finally glad to have a marquee game against one of the marquee franchises in the NFL! You guys know what it's like to be in this position for the better part of 10 years, this is the first time we've had a statement game on prime time since the first ever game against the Cowboys. This is rare air for the Texans' faithful, and it's gonna be fun to see if we can compare against this franchise.[/i]
_________________

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Richter


Joined: 11 Feb 2010
Posts: 11750
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonyto3690 wrote:
Sciz wrote:
tonyto expects a big loss. All hope is lost.

I think we are going to lose when we are likely going to lose. We are missing half of our top ten players.

I've predicted I think two three loses the past year. Giants sb. Ravens game. And this texans game.

Texans win 38-20

How do you figure? We only know that Gronk and Edelman are out for sure, and would you really call Edelman top 10? Jones, Mankins and Vollmer all look like they have a good chance to return, so who else is going to be out?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EliteTexan80


Most Valuable Poster
Joined: 30 Apr 2007
Posts: 38048
Location: Three time Mr. fanTASTic!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grachuus wrote:
Thought I'd be reading some football in a gameday thread.


My bad.


...boo to this, man. Boo. Laughing

I guess I can indulge:

Keys to beating the Texans offense:

1. Be patient in defending the run. The three biggest assets that RB Arian Foster has is vision, patience, the ability to maintain top speed in and out of his cuts. Teams have been limiting him by letting him have the small stuff and displaying the same patience he has when he takes a hand off. Too many times, teams will choose to pursue him, opening up backside lanes for Foster to see and break for, which leads to BIG runs. This year, the backside defenders are just planting their heels into the ground, waiting for Foster to either get to the LOS or make his initial cut, and then they pounce on him. Long story short - give him the 1,2,3 yard gains. DON'T try to stick him for a loss, exposing a new lane which he usually finds and breaks into.

2. Take Owen Daniels out of the game early. The initial thought is that Andre Johnson is the catalyst of the passing game, and that's somewhat true - Johnson is the game breaker, the deep threat who will scortch you if you let him. However, many of these big peformances he's strung together has been a direct result of Owen Daniels chipping away at teams with the intermediate passing game; Teams have to dedicate coverages to OD in the middle, which starts opening up lanes to get the ball to AJ. If the Pats can find a way to limit the production of OD early and develop a lead, the Texans will be forced to take shots with AJ. OD might get open in the 2nd half with the lead, but the damage is done - the team will start force feeding AJ, which can lead to some promising opportunities for the Pats D.

3. Expect EVERY play to be play action. The crem-de-la-crem of the Texans' O is the lethal PA pass that is used many times in a game. Matt Schaub and the OL have the fakes down to a science, every single time Matt naked boots out - he's got nobody within a 10 yard radius of him, he's got all day to see where the cracks are, and his targets have all day to break downfield when they see a hole. Spy someone on Schaub on every play in that sense, and send 'em loose when Schaub starts to roll. Limit the time he has to view the field and find the target to throw to.

Keys to beating the Texans defense:

- Throw. Simple as that, to be honest. The secondary is either the walking wounded, or out for this game. If Brady is looking to exploit the hot reads on 2-3 step drops, targeting the guys being covered by Alan Ball or Brandon Harris (depending on who gets the nod for the injured Brice McCain) will be quick to exploit. Kareem Jackson and Jonathan Joseph are actually well suited for pass plays that are in the 5-10 yard range, and can make QBs pay for ill-placed balls. For the deep ball, see where Danieal Manning is drifting to and go deep the other way - Jackson still has issues with passing routes that are 15+ yards, and Joseph is coming off some injuries that have been hampering his recovery speed.

- Get Aaron Hernandez going early. Since Brian Cushing has been out, the Texans have had to bring Glover Quin down to cover opposing TEs. Quin has been doing well, but he's outsized on a lot of his matchups. If Hernandez can sit in the seam quickly and make a few catches, Quin will come up in an attempt to press on him, prevent the completion; From there, Hernandez should be able to use his size and athletic ability to make plays further downfield.

- Don't let the Texans set the edge. Easier said than done, I agree. Connor Barwin and Brooks Reed might not have the sack numbers, but they're good in presenting a force that limits rushing attempts outside the Ts. This means majority of runs would have to get in between G/C/G holes, right into the hands of JJ Watt and Antonio Smith. If the Patriot Ts can get the Barwin and Whitney Mercilius on the ground quickly, preventing them playing horizontally/"sideline-to-sideline" when defending the run, the outside run should present itself, which gets the front seven to play wider in their formation, which should open up the G/C/G holes...shoot and volley in that respect, which would eventually lead to some big PA opportunity.
_________________

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
TGShabba


Joined: 20 Oct 2010
Posts: 515
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per Mike Reiss:

Mankins, Connolly and Jones spotted at today's walkthrough. Bolden and Stallworth also present.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tzimisce


Most Valuable Poster
Joined: 13 Oct 2005
Posts: 45443
Location: Tuntmore Tower
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TGShabba wrote:
Per Mike Reiss:

Mankins, Connolly and Jones spotted at today's walkthrough. Bolden and Stallworth also present.
The Watt v. Vollmer/Connolly matchup makes me very nervous. Vollmer was clearly playing at far less than 100% against Miami.
_________________

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
TGShabba


Joined: 20 Oct 2010
Posts: 515
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
TGShabba wrote:
Per Mike Reiss:

Mankins, Connolly and Jones spotted at today's walkthrough. Bolden and Stallworth also present.
The Watt v. Vollmer/Connolly matchup makes me very nervous. Vollmer was clearly playing at far less than 100% against Miami.


Yeah. Although historically, I think when Vollmer does have issues, it's against speed, not power.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tzimisce


Most Valuable Poster
Joined: 13 Oct 2005
Posts: 45443
Location: Tuntmore Tower
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TGShabba wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
TGShabba wrote:
Per Mike Reiss:

Mankins, Connolly and Jones spotted at today's walkthrough. Bolden and Stallworth also present.
The Watt v. Vollmer/Connolly matchup makes me very nervous. Vollmer was clearly playing at far less than 100% against Miami.


Yeah. Although historically, I think when Vollmer does have issues, it's against speed, not power.
Watt has tremendous lateral quickness for a guy his size. Wouldn't be surprised if he caused some epic confusion on a stunt and got to Brady more than once during this game.
_________________

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Sciz


Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 15642
Location: Iowa
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Keys to beating the Texans offense:

1. Be patient in defending the run. The three biggest assets that RB Arian Foster has is vision, patience, the ability to maintain top speed in and out of his cuts. Teams have been limiting him by letting him have the small stuff and displaying the same patience he has when he takes a hand off. Too many times, teams will choose to pursue him, opening up backside lanes for Foster to see and break for, which leads to BIG runs. This year, the backside defenders are just planting their heels into the ground, waiting for Foster to either get to the LOS or make his initial cut, and then they pounce on him. Long story short - give him the 1,2,3 yard gains. DON'T try to stick him for a loss, exposing a new lane which he usually finds and breaks into.
This is especially why I expect to see a lot of the 3-4. It's about as patient of a run defense as there is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
24isthelaw


Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 7559
Location: Where the Patriots are
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Keys to beating the Texans offense:

1. Be patient in defending the run. The three biggest assets that RB Arian Foster has is vision, patience, the ability to maintain top speed in and out of his cuts. Teams have been limiting him by letting him have the small stuff and displaying the same patience he has when he takes a hand off. Too many times, teams will choose to pursue him, opening up backside lanes for Foster to see and break for, which leads to BIG runs. This year, the backside defenders are just planting their heels into the ground, waiting for Foster to either get to the LOS or make his initial cut, and then they pounce on him. Long story short - give him the 1,2,3 yard gains. DON'T try to stick him for a loss, exposing a new lane which he usually finds and breaks into.
This is especially why I expect to see a lot of the 3-4. It's about as patient of a run defense as there is.


Where does Jones fit in given this alignment? He's not really a 5-tech and he's not a linebacker either.
_________________

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Sciz


Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 15642
Location: Iowa
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
Where does Jones fit in given this alignment? He's not really a 5-tech and he's not a linebacker either.
That's the problem I'm having. We've seen him play 3-4 DE, but I'm pretty sure that was in more of a passing situation. He's played standing up, in what you could call a 2-5 defense, and he's dropped into coverage a few times. I just don't know if you take Hightower or Ninkovich off the field in that scenario, and either way it's putting Deaderick on the field, which isn't getting the top 7 front 7 players on the field.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NinjaZX6R


Joined: 05 Jun 2011
Posts: 8923
Location: Columbus, Ohio
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 6'5 260-270, CJ can be a 34 OLB.
_________________
"Let's show some toughness. Yeah...Toughness and go makes some plays"
-Tom Brady
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 22298
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinjaZX6R wrote:
At 6'5 260-270, CJ can be a 34 OLB.


Lot more to playing a position than size
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 3 of 44

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group