Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Was Josh Brent being on the Sidelines out of bounds?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
THE BIG CHEEZE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Was Josh Brent being on the Sidelines out of bounds? Reply with quote

I personally was okay with the gesture. He made a mistake and with the suicide's in the NFL I think the cowboys did the right thing. I also think Bill Cowher and the rest of the CBS team at half time were grand standing by calling Jerry Jones classless or disgraceful. I've had too much to drink and got behind the wheel to only to say I'll never do it again. Bottom line is I made a mistake but nobody was hurt. I think that Brent will face justice but if asks for forgiveness he should get it.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Brown's mother and family asked for the team to lend Josh Brent their support. The Cowboys honored her request and are lending Brent all the support they can give.

Her opinion is the only one that matters in this case.

^^^mack
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is a really tough call. Arguments can obviously be made either way. My thoughts are that he should probably NOT be on the sidelines. I think you can honor Jerry's mother's wishes and support Brent without putting Brent front and center for all the world to see.

Slam sig bet participants:

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
textaz03

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was happy to see him on the sideline! Sure he made a mistake and it cost Jerry his life. He will have to live with that for the rest of his life. I am one to forgive, and if Browns Mother is willing to forgive and asked for him to be there and supported in every way, I'm ok with that decision.

In my opinion, I think CBS and that entire broadcast crew owe Mrs Brown, Jerry Jones, Jason Garrett and the Cowboys players an apology for jumping the gun and not knowing the facts!

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
PincheJimmy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
Jerry Brown's mother and family asked for the team to lend Josh Brent their support. The Cowboys honored her request and are lending Brent all the support they can give.

Her opinion is the only one that matters in this case.

You hit the nail on the head! Smile
bwareovdware94

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only people who don't think he should have been on the sideline, are people who are uniformed of the situation. Brown's mother wants him to be there, he is forever burdened with the knowledge that he is responsible for the death of one of his best friends, and he is going to face the consequences of the law. There is no need for the Cowboys to punish him further.

19 targets, 8 receptions, 81 yards, 5 drops, 0 tds.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, more information is coming out about it. First, the team officials did not know that he would be on the sidelines.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2012/12/the-story-behind-jose-brents-sideline-appearance-during-cowboys-game.html/

And, Brent left the sidelines when it became obvious that he was becoming a distraction. JG was happy how Brent handled the situation and left the field after becoming a distraction. The team would not say that whether he will be back on the sideline next week. JG said that he wanted to support a teammate who did a terrible thing but did not want to give an impression to the public that the organization condones DUI.

So, whoever is saying that Brent was on the sideline because the Cowboys were honoring Brown's mother's wishes is ill informed.

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
BigD88

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Now, more information is coming out about it. First, the team officials did not know that he would be on the sidelines.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2012/12/the-story-behind-jose-brents-sideline-appearance-during-cowboys-game.html/

And, Brent left the sidelines when it became obvious that he was becoming a distraction. JG was happy how Brent handled the situation and left the field after becoming a distraction. The team would not say that whether he will be back on the sideline next week. JG said that he wanted to support a teammate who did a terrible thing but did not want to give an impression to the public that the organization condones DUI.

So, whoever is saying that Brent was on the sideline because the Cowboys were honoring Brown's mother's wishes is ill informed.

From SportsIllustrated:

Quote:
“Our team and our players wanted him today on the sideline,” Jones said. “Jerry’s mother asked us directly as a group. She said, ‘Support him. Help him. He needs your help. Jerry wants that. I want that.’ His teammates asked him to come and be down there with them, and that’s where we are. I do know that certainly that there’s the other side of the coin, but this is a case that the people that arguably he’s the closest to really wanting him around for him.”

Brown’s mother asked the other Cowboy players to help care for Brent and keep him involved with the team at Brown’s memorial service last week.

http://tracking.si.com/2012/12/17/cowboys-josh-brent-appearance-at-game-surprised-team/

So if Brown's mother asked the Cowboys, directly "as a group," and the players on the team asked for him to come.
Then exactly what "team personnel" were surprised by his arrival? The grounds crew? The waterboy? Who cares.
If anyone wants to go on camera and talk all about how they're so "against" it, they can go have a word with Brown's mother. For some reason I have a feeling that Cowher or anyone else going off about this won't be knocking at her door anytime soon.

KingofSTATS wrote:

Witten is just too slow and nonathletic to be a dominant force in the receiving game.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigD88 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:

From SportsIllustrated:

Quote:
“Our team and our players wanted him today on the sideline,” Jones said. “Jerry’s mother asked us directly as a group. She said, ‘Support him. Help him. He needs your help. Jerry wants that. I want that.’ His teammates asked him to come and be down there with them, and that’s where we are. I do know that certainly that there’s the other side of the coin, but this is a case that the people that arguably he’s the closest to really wanting him around for him.”

Brown’s mother asked the other Cowboy players to help care for Brent and keep him involved with the team at Brown’s memorial service last week.

http://tracking.si.com/2012/12/17/cowboys-josh-brent-appearance-at-game-surprised-team/

So if Brown's mother asked the Cowboys, directly "as a group," and the players on the team asked for him to come.
Then exactly what "team personnel" were surprised by his arrival? The grounds crew? The waterboy? Who cares.
If anyone wants to go on camera and talk all about how they're so "against" it, they can go have a word with Brown's mother. For some reason I have a feeling that Cowher or anyone else going off about this won't be knocking at her door anytime soon.

You may want to ask the guy who said this...

Quote:
Josh Brent’s sideline appearance during Sunday’s win over Pittsburgh has created quite a stir. Critics wonder why the Cowboys put him in position to have his image broadcast to a national TV audience.

The answer: club officials didn’t know he would be there.

Several of the Cowboys players called Brent and implored him to come to the game. They wanted him there. Since Brent is on the non-football illness list, he can show up at any time before the game like a player on injured reserve and gain access.

Owner Jerry Jones, executive vice president Stephen Jones and head coach Jason Garrett weren’t aware that Brent was going to be at the game until they saw him on the sidelines. Brent eventually left the game once he realized he was being a distraction.

And

Quote:
According to Garrett, Brent was invited by several of his teammates. Since he’s on the non-football illness list, Brent is allowed to be a spectator on the sideline.

“I thought Josh handled it beautifully,” Garrett said Monday. “He came and then when he felt like there were some issues he felt the right thing to do was to leave.”

Garrett declined to give a definitive answer on if Brent will be allowed on the Cowboys sideline in the future, but he also doesn’t want outsiders to receive the wrong message.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2012/12/jason-garrett-josh-brent-handled-being-on-cowboys-sideline-beautifully.html/

According to Garrett, it wasn't a coaching or a management decision and he won't comment if Brent will be back on the sideline.

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
GeorgiaBoy367

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a no win situation for the Cowboys the right play is to help the kid. but You have to understand people taking offense to it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgiaBoy367 wrote:
Its a no win situation for the Cowboys the right play is to help the kid. but You have to understand people taking offense to it.

+1.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
Matts4313

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:

Are the players not "Cowboys"? All reports I have seen state that the players asked him to come out.

Maybe its just semantics, but Ms. Brown asked the players to support him and they are respecting her wishes.
BigD88

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
BigD88 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:

From SportsIllustrated:

Quote:

You may want to ask the guy who said this...

Quote:
Josh Brent’s sideline appearance during Sunday’s win over Pittsburgh has created quite a stir. Critics wonder why the Cowboys put him in position to have his image broadcast to a national TV audience.

The answer: club officials didn’t know he would be there.

Several of the Cowboys players called Brent and implored him to come to the game. They wanted him there. Since Brent is on the non-football illness list, he can show up at any time before the game like a player on injured reserve and gain access.

Owner Jerry Jones, executive vice president Stephen Jones and head coach Jason Garrett weren’t aware that Brent was going to be at the game until they saw him on the sidelines. Brent eventually left the game once he realized he was being a distraction.

And

Quote:
According to Garrett, Brent was invited by several of his teammates. Since he’s on the non-football illness list, Brent is allowed to be a spectator on the sideline.

“I thought Josh handled it beautifully,” Garrett said Monday. “He came and then when he felt like there were some issues he felt the right thing to do was to leave.”

Garrett declined to give a definitive answer on if Brent will be allowed on the Cowboys sideline in the future, but he also doesn’t want outsiders to receive the wrong message.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2012/12/jason-garrett-josh-brent-handled-being-on-cowboys-sideline-beautifully.html/

According to Garrett, it wasn't a coaching or a management decision and he won't comment if Brent will be back on the sideline.

I don't need to ask the guy who wrote it. I'll take Mrs. Brown's word for it and Jerry's word for it.

I'd tend to believe those two over a media outlet talking about "team personnel" being surprised. Sure Garrett probably didn't know Brent was gonna be there as if Brent RSVP'd or anything. But based on what has been said by Mrs. Brown and people surrounding the Cowboys, I doubt he was shocked like the media would like you to believe.

I don't doubt he probably felt a bit uncomfortable and then decided to leave as a result. And I also don't doubt that it makes some people around the organization uncomfortable and unsure of exactly how to deal with the situation going forward. But I'm not buying the "team personnel" being "surprised" that he was there considering the players asked for it, and Mrs. Brown spoke with Jerry and others directly about it.
The "surprise" angle of the story is just fishing for more drama where there isn't any. It's probably some lower level "personnel" guy who wasn't in the loop about it who answered a question saying that he didn't know and next thing you know it's in print that "team personnel are surprised by Brent's arrival."

KingofSTATS wrote:

Witten is just too slow and nonathletic to be a dominant force in the receiving game.

Last edited by BigD88 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Matts4313

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that he was in the locker room with the team. Garrett was surprised that he came out to the field instead of staying in the locker room.

Could be wrong.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts right. The players were asked by Mrs. Brown to welcome Brent and invite him to the game. They honored a grieving mothers wishes. The media and pundits be damned - if the family and the players want him, I am in no place condemn the act.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: