Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Updated Playoff Picture (updated pg 2)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
JWingate wrote:
Do we really feel this is a playoff team?
That's a very good question to ask.

Me, personally, I would say that we are a playoff team. Why? You might ask.

First and foremost, only 2 games this season have been lost with a spread of over 7 points (Seahawks wk 2 20pts and Bears wk 4 16pts). The rest have been 7 points or less. That means we are hanging in there till the end

Second, we are doing this with all the injuries we have had. This reminds me of when the Packers made their SB title run a few years ago. They where beaten up and had a crap load of players on IR. They hung in there, got the WC and got hot at the right time.

Third, we are getting a few key players back from injury who can help this team out. Murray brings back a run game which was nonexistant. Which keeps some pressure off of Romo and can help out that Air game. Lissemore has missed most the season, his return will help out our Dline. If Ratliff can get back on the field, will add to the pass rush and a solid run stopper.

Fourth, Dez is coming into his own right now. We are watching a boy grow into a man. His play alone is going to open up this offense to new limits.

We are just a Dez fingertip away from being tied with NYG for the Division Lead at 7-6 instead of 6-6.

a Missed late Field Goal from Bailey against the Ravens would have won that game. Could have been 8-5

a 2 bad breaks in those two games and this conversation would be entirely different.

Sure, we have made some boneheaded stupid plays and have some boneheaded morons on the squad (cough Free cough). But, every team has that problem every now and then (ours just seem to be more often than others).

I always want the playoffs regardless! Even if we are not a playoff caliber team, I always want to make it there and have that chance. Look at Arizona a few years ago. Total crap team making it to the big game.

I don't care how close we came to making a few plays or how close the losses were. We didn't make the plays and we lost. So no, we aren't a playoff team. You can't polish a loss and make it appear more attractive because that's nothing more than sunshine pumping. Every team has close losses and close wins, but the good teams find ways to keep themselves in a position where they don't have to make desperation plays and/or rely on last second efforts. We aren't capable of doing that. Hence, why we're an average to below average team.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
textaz03 wrote:
JWingate wrote:

First and foremost, only 2 games this season have been lost with a spread of over 7 points (Seahawks wk 2 20pts and Bears wk 4 16pts). The rest have been 7 points or less. That means we are hanging in there till the end

Second, we are doing this with all the injuries we have had. This reminds me of when the Packers made their SB title run a few years ago. They where beaten up and had a crap load of players on IR. They hung in there, got the WC and got hot at the right time.

Third, we are getting a few key players back from injury who can help this team out. Murray brings back a run game which was nonexistant. Which keeps some pressure off of Romo and can help out that Air game. Lissemore has missed most the season, his return will help out our Dline. If Ratliff can get back on the field, will add to the pass rush and a solid run stopper.

Fourth, Dez is coming into his own right now. We are watching a boy grow into a man. His play alone is going to open up this offense to new limits.

We are just a Dez fingertip away from being tied with NYG for the Division Lead at 7-6 instead of 6-6.

a Missed late Field Goal from Bailey against the Ravens would have won that game. Could have been 8-5

a 2 bad breaks in those two games and this conversation would be entirely different.

Sure, we have made some boneheaded stupid plays and have some boneheaded morons on the squad (cough Free cough). But, every team has that problem every now and then (ours just seem to be more often than others).

I always want the playoffs regardless! Even if we are not a playoff caliber team, I always want to make it there and have that chance. Look at Arizona a few years ago. Total crap team making it to the big game.

I don't care how close we came to making a few plays or how close the losses were. We didn't make the plays and we lost. So no, we aren't a playoff team. You can't polish a loss and make it appear more attractive because that's nothing more than sunshine pumping. Every team has close losses and close wins, but the good teams find ways to keep themselves in a position where they don't have to make desperation plays and/or rely on last second efforts. We aren't capable of doing that. Hence, why we're an average to below average team.

Agreed! However, there is one saving grace. IF the Cowboys can find a way to win out and make the playoffs, coupled with a Giants loss, they will indeed prove themsleves worthy of being a playoff team. To what point and purpose, we shall have to wait and see, BUT they can get there with a little help from Balt, Philly, Atl or whoever the NYG have to play.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think we have a shot at a WC - I think our only shot is winning out and taking the division

Sig courtesy of mack.
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Don't think we have a shot at a WC - I think our only shot is winning out and taking the division

Agreed. Chicago has a 3-game lead on the Boys and Seattle has a 2-game lead, as both hold the tiebreaker over Dallas. With only 4 games left, it's virtually impossible for the Boys to make up that difference.

Even within the division, the Boys need to leapfrog over NY and Washington (who has the tiebreaker), so this will be a difficult task. Unfortunately, December is here and the Boys' recent history in this month is not positive.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
textaz03 wrote:
JWingate wrote:

So, why is it that its ok for people to downgrade a so called "ugly win?" If we can't sunshine pump a close loss, then people shouldn't be downgrading ugly, close wins.

(For the record, I agree with you. We didn't make the plays to win. A win is a win and a loss is a loss.)

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:
So, why is it that its ok for people to downgrade a so called "ugly win?" If we can't sunshine pump a close loss, then people shouldn't be downgrading ugly, close wins.

(For the record, I agree with you. We didn't make the plays to win. A win is a win and a loss is a loss.)

I have no idea. It's an excellent question, though. I think it's because we accept statements like this: "It was ugly, but I'll take the win" yet can't fathom anyone saying this: "Well, it was a close loss, so I'll take it!"

Northland wrote:
Matts4313

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seattle likely to lose their top 2 CBs for at least a couple games due to Adderall. (Karma?)

Skins lose another DB
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8709862/cedric-griffin-washington-redskins-suspended-four-games

Bears lose Urlacher
http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/8709812/brian-urlacher-chicago-bears-expected-miss-3-games-report-says
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Seattle likely to lose their top 2 CBs for at least a couple games due to Adderall. (Karma?)

Skins lose another DB
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8709862/cedric-griffin-washington-redskins-suspended-four-games

Bears lose Urlacher
http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/8709812/brian-urlacher-chicago-bears-expected-miss-3-games-report-says

Definitely helps our case. Our best chance for WC is for Seattle to go into crash mode. And without their top two corners, that severely hampers their ability to do what they want to do on defense.

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:

Skins lose another DB

Bears lose Urlacher

The Seattle DBs clearly had concentration issues. Perhaps we should give a lifetime supply to Doug Free.

Northland wrote:
WareWolf94

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
textaz03 wrote:
JWingate wrote:

There is one play that stands alone as a real detriment to our playoff chances. The Hail Mary that wasn't with Seattle and Green Bay.

Thanks to SHSTE

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25584

When you're right, you're right.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Urlacher, who could miss 2-4 wks with a hamstring injury. Which could help decide the playoffs.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Brian Urlacher, who could miss 2-4 wks with a hamstring injury. Which could help decide the playoffs.

Late breaking news. Totally wasnt already posted yesterday a few spots above you...
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts - 1
Outlaw - 0

When weighted for liking Midgets.

Matts - 0.333
Outlaw - 0

In Redball I Trust!
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitting...

Quote:
Bane had a genius line in Dark Knight Rises that encapsulates Dallas Cowboys football. "There can be no true despair without hope" #Playoffs

https://twitter.com/BenRogers/status/276529650803548161

In Redball I Trust!
textaz03

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go, the updated playoff picture after week 14.

1. Atlanta 11-2 (clinched division)
2. San Fran 9-3
3. Green Bay 9-4
4. NYG 8-5
5. Seattle 8-5
6. Chicago 8-5

In the hunt:

7. Washington 7-6
8. Dallas 7-6
9. Minnisota 7-6
10. St Louis 6-6-1
11. Tampa 6-7
12. Saints 5-8

Changes from week 13:

- The Wild card race shook up just a little bit. Seattle and Chicago are still in the drivers seat, but Chicago lost in week 14 and Seattle won. Therefore they flip flopped positions and both are at 8-5. Unfortunately, both have the tie breaker over the Cowboys, so in order for Cowboys to get a WC, we need them those 2 to loose out and and us Win out. Unfortunatley, both have very favorable schedules.

- Our loss to Washington allowed them to take over the top spot in the hunt and really hurt our chance now allowing them the tie breaker.

- Still our best bet of making the post season is through the division. We have won 4 of the last 5 games and we have won the first 2 games in December (unusual, I know). We still have 1 divisional game left and that is a rematch against Washington. 3 NFCE teams are within 1 game of each other. It's a real tight race and will come down to these final 3 games.

- Gints still have have 3 huge games left to play, 1 this week against the 11-2 Falcons and next week against the 9-4 Ravens then wrap up the regular season against there division rival Beagles (a game of huge playoff implications). The Falcons look to bounce back this week and I'm hopeing for a Gints loss, which will give them another NFC loss.

- Redskins still have 2 divisional games left in week 16 and 17 (of course) and have the Browns this week. The question for the Skins will be can RG3 play this week against the Browns? Cousins will have a tough match up against that Browns defense who has been very strong this year.

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: