Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jrry32 Rams Mock Draft 12/3/2012
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
StLunatic88


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 7684
Location: How good is your Good?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the foirst 3 picks are great, no complaints there. Warmack is a rare talent, Williams is an underrated WR prospect, and Jefferson is a great fit.

Not sure about adding another WLB to the group we already have. if we do we really need to bolster the DL rotation through FA. Brown is a nice prospect, but like the guys we already have, he needs to be protected. I guess JLD could be the Sam, and just turn him loos up field more, but this would be a concern.

Wagner is a very good looking RT prospect, but thats all he is and thats why he would be available there. Would like that to round out the line.
Saffold-Warmack-Wells-Dahl-Wagner
Thats nothing short of a monster mauling OL. We should be able to run the ball.

I know your a big proponent of getting a New Age TE, thats fine, I just dont see it in the system. Im fine with getting Mathieu with a 2nd 4th, I just think he is dropping even farther than some think, its a major issue with him, not "just some pot". I like Muarry, love what I see when he runs, Dont think we need to draft a QB, and we Clearlyneed DL depth.

Very solid draft overall.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 45887
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
Not sure about adding another WLB to the group we already have. if we do we really need to bolster the DL rotation through FA. Brown is a nice prospect, but like the guys we already have, he needs to be protected. I guess JLD could be the Sam, and just turn him loos up field more, but this would be a concern.


I don't think we have a true WLB. While Brown would need protection, he'd also add a speed and play-making element to our defense. JLD is, imo, better suited for the strong-side. He's a down-hill LB who is excellent at throwing his body around and laying big hits. I've seen numerous times this year where he's blown up the FB in the hole. In this scenario, Brown would take on the coverage duties that JLD has handled this year which would help both of them.

Quote:
I know your a big proponent of getting a New Age TE, thats fine, I just dont see it in the system.


Escobar and Reed are new age TEs although Escobar can play the traditional role. Otten is not a new age TE. Very similar playing style to Witten and Zach Miller. Excellent in-line blocker who could be great if he finishes blocks better and develops more of a mean streak as a blocker. As a runner, he runs extremely hard and is a really tough player to bring down. As a receiver, he's not an elite athlete but he has good overall speed, good fluidity, runs good routes and has strong hands.

I like both him and Escobar a lot. Escobar is a more talented receiver and athlete while Otten is the more polished player and the better blocker.

If you haven't had a chance to watch Otten, here are a couple youtube games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bWctRkdlKA

Quote:
Im fine with getting Mathieu with a 2nd 4th, I just think he is dropping even farther than some think, its a major issue with him, not "just some pot". I like Muarry, love what I see when he runs, Dont think we need to draft a QB, and we Clearlyneed DL depth.


Murray and Dennis Johnson are both high on my list as mid to late round HBs.

I think until we have a proven backup, we need to look for a QB.

And I picked up a guy who would serve as DT depth in the 7th. Think we can find DE depth in UDFA and FA.
_________________
The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The J.R.S.


Joined: 15 Feb 2007
Posts: 3750
Location: Next to Waldo
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
The J.R.S. wrote:
You help guards out in several ways, keep a blocking RB in the interior back field, slide line coverage, plan double teams....etc.


Yep. Which is harder to do and causes more compromises schematically.

Quote:
And I'm sorry, but Williams looks to me as though he lacks a natural fluid motion, doesn't use his size particularly well, and absolutely takes plays off. His speed is average at best as well.


Average at best speed? Whaaaaaaaaaaat? We're talking about TERRANCE Williams, right?

Doesn't use his size well? Disagree.

Takes plays off? Mind being more specific. Just curious about what you saw.


Admittedly, I've not watched a lot of William's play. I just went and watched what I could find, and let me correct my previous statement:

He looks to have lost speed in 2012. Everything I see from 2011, he appears fluid and fast. Not sure why this is, perhaps he has been dealing with a sore muscle or something.

As far as taking plays off, the few that I've noticed tend to be in run blocking, and when passing plays break down. He just doesn't seem to play with a sense of urgency unless he is the designed read option (Baylor's style of offense).

I'm being nit-picky here, he's a nice player. I'm struggling to understand why his play doesn't pop out to me in 2012. I've considered the obvious downgrade in QB, and the loss of Kendall Wright, but it is the player that looks different. Any ideas?
_________________


Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
STLRamsFan99


Joined: 17 Aug 2012
Posts: 1340
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrance Williams's draft stock will skyrocket during combine in my opinion. He'll run a 40 time in the low 4.4's, with a chance at 4.3.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 45887
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:


Admittedly, I've not watched a lot of William's play. I just went and watched what I could find, and let me correct my previous statement:

He looks to have lost speed in 2012. Everything I see from 2011, he appears fluid and fast. Not sure why this is, perhaps he has been dealing with a sore muscle or something.

As far as taking plays off, the few that I've noticed tend to be in run blocking, and when passing plays break down. He just doesn't seem to play with a sense of urgency unless he is the designed read option (Baylor's style of offense).

I'm being nit-picky here, he's a nice player. I'm struggling to understand why his play doesn't pop out to me in 2012. I've considered the obvious downgrade in QB, and the loss of Kendall Wright, but it is the player that looks different. Any ideas?


Not sure why he seems slower? Maybe he's facing the #1 CB or faster defenders? He's still blowing right by defenders so it's not something I'm too concerned about. This is from this year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8N2f6m2b8g#t=0m52s

There are also some WR screens he'll catch where you can see him just blow by defenders.

I guess I can see it in the running plays. There are some plays where he seems to not be going for the kill. He just seems to be kind of there blocking but he still blocks effectively...in fact, I'd say he's a good run blocker on the edge.

Honestly, JRS, no clue why he doesn't pop out this year. He's really popped to me. Maybe we've seen different games?

You're certainly right on the short area quickness and fluidity. That's probably his biggest weakness but I think he makes up for that with other tools so that it won't be much of an issue. He won't be a slot WR in the NFL but we don't exactly need one of those. Wink
_________________
The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group