You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Could Be Just as Bad.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stafford is absolutely worth his cap hit.

Team Stylish

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."
imyourGM

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will stay bad until mayhew is gone.. he cant draft. his only role on this team should be to look for trades period. but i dont even want him for that. new GM and new coach is what we are gonna need, i been screaming it forever. If Ford had any FB sense he would see it too. i mean who drafts a qb#1 and with the restof our top picks drafts wrs and rbs who does that?? not like we dont have Cj or nothing... Also think alot of things need to come to an end. Avril (should have been traded last yr) KVB, Levy, T.Y.,best, rioala all need to go. money and time can be used more wisely.
GeneralTso

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imyourGM wrote:
It will stay bad until mayhew is gone.. he cant draft. his only role on this team should be to look for trades period. but i dont even want him for that. new GM and new coach is what we are gonna need, i been screaming it forever. If Ford had any FB sense he would see it too. i mean who drafts a qb#1 and with the restof our top picks drafts wrs and rbs who does that?? not like we dont have Cj or nothing... Also think alot of things need to come to an end. Avril (should have been traded last yr) KVB, Levy, T.Y.,best, rioala all need to go. money and time can be used more wisely.

Even though I scrutinize a lot of things, even I'm not going to go where you are.

Post a mock if you really want to let your thoughts out.
usedaschwartz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay Cutler said he would take a 5-10% discount on his next contract to stay with the Bears. I wonder if Matthew would do the same? Laughing
BlackandBlue

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
The cap is all jacked up next season. Stafford's hit is debilitating. He's not worth the money, and needs to restructure. He's just not a big enough difference maker.

Houston has to be top priority. Avril deserves a contract averaging $10M, of course not guaranteed though- he should have to earn those figures.

I don't look for the Lions to acquire any notable F/A's, we'll be lucky to keep our own. We don't have the luxury of tagging a bunch of players like we did last season. Better hope these guys believe in what Schwartz and Mayhew are doing, or else we could be left holding the short end of the stick for real.

No. Just no. Avril is an average DE taking advantage of perhaps the best pass rushing interior line in the league.
stylish313

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackandBlue wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
The cap is all jacked up next season. Stafford's hit is debilitating. He's not worth the money, and needs to restructure. He's just not a big enough difference maker.

Houston has to be top priority. Avril deserves a contract averaging $10M, of course not guaranteed though- he should have to earn those figures.

I don't look for the Lions to acquire any notable F/A's, we'll be lucky to keep our own. We don't have the luxury of tagging a bunch of players like we did last season. Better hope these guys believe in what Schwartz and Mayhew are doing, or else we could be left holding the short end of the stick for real.

No. Just no. Avril is an average DE taking advantage of perhaps the best pass rushing interior line in the league.
Well I disagree. Avril's production will not be easily replicated. His strip/sack has become a trademark, and if it weren't for his off-season holdout, I'm positive he'd be enjoying a career season.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackandBlue wrote:
stylish313 wrote:

Last year I might have agreed with you about his worth but having another successful season I think he's worth the 10 million. In fact, sadly 10 million probably won't get him signed.

If Avril walks it leaves another roster hole. Even if he is only average, as you suggest he is far and away the best DE on the Lions roster.

Sig by Smack

Team Stylish
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the title of this thread suggesting that, in 2013, we may be a few bounces away from winning almost every game? Eh. In this league, I don't see how that's all that bad. (Yes, I want wins. Wins come with being competitive. We're competitive.)

Team Stylish

usedaschwartz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Is the title of this thread suggesting that, in 2013, we may be a few bounces away from winning almost every game? Eh. In this league, I don't see how that's all that bad. (Yes, I want wins. Wins come with being competitive. We're competitive.)

No, the point is that last year was an over-achieving year with all the bounces going our way. We're not overall talented enough to repeatedly get to the playoffs and that the next few seasons could be worse due to our ridiculous cap trouble.
BlackandBlue

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:
stylish313 wrote:

Last year I might have agreed with you about his worth but having another successful season I think he's worth the 10 million. In fact, sadly 10 million probably won't get him signed.

If Avril walks it leaves another roster hole. Even if he is only average, as you suggest he is far and away the best DE on the Lions roster.

The DEs have not played well this year. How many times have we seen Suh or Fairley chasing around a quarterback in the backfield? Or pushing a lineman back into the pocket? A competent defensive end should be able to make plays consistently when that's happening.
DrRay11

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usedaschwartz wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

No, the point is that last year was an over-achieving year with all the bounces going our way. We're not overall talented enough to repeatedly get to the playoffs and that the next few seasons could be worse due to our ridiculous cap trouble.

This year it could be said that almost none of the bounces are going our way.

What I see on the field is a 7-9 win team. We've come far and still have a ways to go, largely in thanks to Millen boning us on the cap for years to come.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usedaschwartz wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

Many teams in this league need bounces to go their way to be successful. It's a violent sport in a competitive league: luck plays a huge factor.

Team Stylish

detfan782004

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usedaschwartz wrote:
Jay Cutler said he would take a 5-10% discount on his next contract to stay with the Bears. I wonder if Matthew would do the same? Laughing

They actually have a D and run game. Better situation

AAL- Abdullah

Tigers suck. Thanks DD for never getting bull pen
qball8001

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO players the Lions should cut and just take the hit and move on:

Cliff Avril - He wants Freeny money, I highly doubt he sticks around after this season. He is a good DE, not a superstar DE. He makes plays at times but also disappears for long stretches in games.

KVB - Clearly has lost a step 3.5 sacks through 12 games this year. He is still due a lot of money, but it is time to let younger DE's get a shot. You never know what you have till it plays. I have a hard time buying that jackson and Young are not at the level that KVB is right now.

Louis Delmas - He is great when he plays, but it is like Brandon Roy right now. He falls funny after a play and he misses 3-4 weeks. Comes back plays half a game then misses another 1-2 weeks.

Corey False Start Williams - Nick Fairly has made this cut possible.

Riloa - Backus - Peterman - tough to lose 3 spots on the offensive line, but we have Riley taking over for Backus. Nagy hopefully can replace Peterman, and now we just need to get us a center that can actually run block and is not getting abused by DT's.

Best - Sorry man, think of your future and become a commentator.

Burleson - It has been real, but you gotta go.

Use the money saved to keep Houston, Levy, SLH.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: