Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Running backs..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iRobot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Running backs.. Reply with quote

QB is an obvious concern as is the OL, but what do we do about our backfield too?

Chalk it up to a bad line and think Wells when healthy and a healthy yet still unproven Ryan Williams is the answer? Or look at this season for what it's been... Beanie 5 games 61 attempts 146 yards 2.4 per carry with a long of 12, and 2 touchdowns. Ryan Williams 5 games 58 attempts 164 yards 2.8 per carry with a long of 25 and 0 TD's.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 - Our offensive line is not creating hole consistently. Even if you go and look at the 100 yard games from LSH most of his yards are coming him his own ability to create.

2 - You get an offensive line that can create holes a running back in not much of a priority because any sem-decnet back can get your the 3-6 yards that you want, though you are not going to be able to expect them to create for you.

3 - I love Ryan Williams still, he has the ability to create for himself, but he also has great vision and patience. He was handcuffed behind a terrible offensive line this year, but I think he can be a great back behind a good OL.

4 - LSH is never going to be an every down back, too bounce happy. Too often he turns down the easy 3 or 4 yards bounces it outside and loses yardage. Beanie Wells does not look good right now. He does not have the explosion that he had in his rookie season when he looked like a great back. I still would lvoe to see him beind a good OL, be Beanie is not a patient runner.

5 - Offensive line is the key to the running game. We have a back on the roster who I feel can be a very good back behind the right line and another who at worst will be a Thomas Jones like plodder behind a good OL and get you your 3-5 yards.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice breakdown Khodder. Do we have great RB's? No... Is RB a need? No...

The Rebuild Has Begun...
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have serious reservations about #3. That said RB is the easiest position in the world to replace, been done 200,000 times. Outside of the extremely, extremely, extremely rare talents of guys like Adrian Peterson and Barry Sanders, there's no reason to treat RBs as anything but a secondary position IMHO. 1 of the biggest reasons why I hated us picking Ryan Williams in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind getting somebody like Zac Stacy from Vanderbilt on Day 3 of the draft. He's short (5'9") but he's a solid 210 lbs who has a well-rounded game and that's my ideal RB. Smaller target who can also pack a punch when need be and do all the things you need him to do.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
I have serious reservations about #3. That said RB is the easiest position in the world to replace, been done 200,000 times. Outside of the extremely, extremely, extremely rare talents of guys like Adrian Peterson and Barry Sanders, there's no reason to treat RBs as anything but a secondary position IMHO. 1 of the biggest reasons why I hated us picking Ryan Williams in the first place.

I have reservations about Williams too, but in a sense this shoulder injury could help him. It is not going to hurt his ability to cut or see the holes at all and it gives him essentially a full two years to make sure that the ruptured patella is completely and utterly healthy.

Being able to trust his knee two years post incident and coming back into Training camp having been able to do all his running and cutting work for an entire year is only going to help Ryan.

For the latter it really depends entirely on what you want your running game to do. If you need 3-4 yards ala Thomas Jones an offensive line will give you that. If you want to create big plays an offensive line plus a quality back is needed.

If you look at guys like Arian Foster and Alfred Morris, Steven Ridley and Benjarvus Green-Ellis middle or late round picks. (Ridley the highest drafted in the 3rd round) are running the ball well behind good offensive lines and good run schematics.

You put a good line with good schematics on the field your back is going to get yards. Montee Ball is not really a huge NFL prospect, but put him in Arian Fosters postion and he is going to get you 1200 yards on 300 carries.

AZPSquared

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the run blocking would be much better if they kicked Levi inside to guard (i dont know if that is even a consideration). I dont think i would draft Chance Warmack because we have a top 10 pick (probably 4-8 ). I would really like Jonathan Cooper if they could get him later in the 1st (trade up from the 2nd round), but i dont think that is possible. I think Wells can get the job done because he has in the past. Williams is a ? mark because throughout his career he has been injured. If they were to draft a RB, Lacy would be a good option, but i dont think its really necessary.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's sort of an after thought for most people but William Powell has done a pretty solid here for the role he's asked to play. I think he's a guy the running game could build upon with more work and more experience.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
He's sort of an after thought for most people but William Powell has done a pretty solid here for the role he's asked to play. I think he's a guy the running game could build upon with more work and more experience.

The fact he didn't get more carries in place of Wells was a huge oversight either on Whis' part or OC's part. He was actually able to get yards on a couple carries unlike Beanie.

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to a more equal timeshare with Beanie and riding the hot hand going forward. His future with the team actually looks bright unlike Beanie's...

Justo on the sig
AZPSquared

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:

hes averaging 4.2 YPC so i dont see why they dont throw him out there more when the run game is struggling
stchamp98

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fair question. I wonder if he's still getting heat for the Kolb injury miscue?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Rashard Mendenhall may have a decent chance of becoming available after this season:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=15244193#15244193

Apparently he decided not to show up at all for the Chargers game after he was told he would not dress, putting him in the doghouse.

OK, so thoughts on bringing him in on a short, incentive-heavy, stay out of trouble-type contract? Wouldn't cost a draft pick if he really is released.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut Beanie?

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
Cut Beanie?

I think he is one of the first to go with a new coach.

Yibbyl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there is that numbers game to deal with. Rashard did hurt his knee, but I'm under the impression he is injured less often than Beanie. LSH is free agent after this season as well, yes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: