Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Devin Hester Decision
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: The Devin Hester Decision Reply with quote

I love him for what he has done. No bear has made me jump off the sofa more.

But Hester is done. He never was a good WR to the point where he hurts the offense and he is now an awful return man without any burst.

I expect Emery will cut him and his 2.5 million dollar salary next season.

That 2.5 million can be reinvested in Lance Louis or Henry Melton players in their prime and would contribute to a free agent pool. I do not think we are in the financial position to be sentimental with players.

Bellichek says better to cut a guy a year early rather than a year late. This is Hester's year late.
DaMike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been all for cutting him for sometime but I'm not sure we can take that gamble with how bad our WR depth is. We have to address that.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
I've been all for cutting him for sometime but I'm not sure we can take that gamble with how bad our WR depth is. We have to address that.

Absolutely we need to add a couple of WRs if Bennett continues to be useless.

But to me Hester play has decline even more than Urlachers.
bears2308

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:

We can find a guy for the league minimum that is just as good as Hester at the receiver position. Marshall and Jeffery on the outside with EB in the slot. A fourth wr doesn't deserve that kind of pay so unless he returns one or two this season I see no reason to keep him around.
Badger75

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bears2308 wrote:
DaMike wrote:

We can find a guy for the league minimum that is just as good as Hester at the receiver position. Marshall and Jeffery on the outside with EB in the slot. A fourth wr doesn't deserve that kind of pay so unless he returns one or two this season I see no reason to keep him around.

Keep Hester and dump Benett.
ak06max

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
DaMike wrote:

Bennett is not useless. He is a great #3 but he is playing #2. Jeffery needs to stay healthy than see what Bennett can produce. Hester yes he gone. Example of useless Kellen Davis 3 Million a year for this garbage cut

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Knox is able to return next season without any complications then I agree that the Bears should cut ties with Hester. He's simply too ineffective nowadays.

It seems as if age has caught up to him and he no longer has the same burst and freakish agility as he once did. Add to the fact that he's useless on offense as a WR, and it really doesn't seem so difficult to come to this conclusion. Plus, did I add that Knox is a fine return man himself?

I will always love Devin Hester for his classic return TDs and making it so exciting to watch Bears games, but as the OP said, eventually you have to cut ties and it's better to do that a little earlier then realizing it when it's too late.
Nads786

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough question, I think if he is willing to take a paycut we can keep him otherwise his time is near. He clearly looks much worse this year at WR and as a Kick returner and the game has changed.

It's harder for kick returners in the NFL with rule changes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see them take him off of receiver duties again before we cut ties with him. Last time they had him as a WR he lost all of his returning mojo. Granted, he wasn't as bad as he is now, but I would hate to see some other team sign him only for it to come back and haunt us.

Also, I believe it was Bill Walsh who said that quote, not Bellicheck. Wink

FG: 25/28 XP: 41/42 LNG: 58 Yards

Badger75

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak06max wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
DaMike wrote:

Bennett is not useless. He is a great #3 but he is playing #2. Jeffery needs to stay healthy than see what Bennett can produce. Hester yes he gone. Example of useless Kellen Davis 3 Million a year for this garbage cut

Stop kidding yourself. Bennett isn't an NFL caliber talent.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak06max wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
DaMike wrote:

He may not be "useless" but he is not worth his salary. It will be hard for him to return without a tremendous improvement. WRs have to produce no matter WHERE they line up and Earl simply has not.

We DEFINITELY need to add WRs next year.
DaMike

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak06max wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
DaMike wrote:

Bennett has never been great. He's a run of the mill producer. I think he has a role here and I would keep him as our slot guy because he doesn't make a ton of money and we can't get really afford an upgrade there.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:
ak06max wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
DaMike wrote:

Bennett will stay in the league if we cut him. Some team that has depth will add him.
ak06max

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
ak06max wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
DaMike wrote:

Bennett has never been great. He's a run of the mill producer. I think he has a role here and I would keep him as our slot guy because he doesn't make a ton of money and we can't get really afford an upgrade there.

Yes thanks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:
ak06max wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
DaMike wrote:

You've been trying to run him out of town since the day we drafted him Badger. Bennett can play in this league and has shown that every year since his "redshirt" rookie year. He won't ever be an all pro but he has as sure of hands as anyone in the league (last week's drop was his first drop in 2 years), is excellent after the catch, is fearless over the middle, is selfless enough to play a role where he isn't the primary option very often and even has PR ability. Unfortunately Tice seems to have no understanding how to use him in the passing game (same as Forte) since the idea of a short pass designed for YAC is a completely foreign concept to him. The biggest problem he has had is health. Bennett isn't going anywhere.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: