Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Team BaconRoll's Reconstruction Tag Team Mock
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Rating
31%
 31%  [ 5 ]
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
37%
 37%  [ 6 ]
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 16

ninjapirate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A back up guard in the first round? That's dumb to say the least.

Thanks Kilty
RainbowCarebear wrote:
Was the dog eating the child?
marky_b27

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan of it at all.

Having a coaching staff with zero NFL experience will really worry me.

As Dingo stated, you've tried to meld a number of systems together - we've seen that not work

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Marky > Foles
willy_law

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't hate it. I like the Smith addition and the draft. I don't see Patton falling far. Mathieu is a low risk pick so I can live with that. Braxton Cave seems to be a common pick around here.

I think I'd rather have Louis Nix over Cave.
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

willy_law wrote:

Isn't that the DT that's going in the first round?

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
SiLo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped at Jairus Byrd.... no way.

Bird Watch: Brandon Boykin
27 TACKLES 0 SACK 1 FF 2 INT
willy_law

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
willy_law wrote:

Isn't that the DT that's going in the first round?

yeah sorry i meant Louis Nix over Jesse Williams.
nlesthought

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the effort...first Tag mock, that's a lot of pressure.

I actually believe the coaching staff would turn out like this if you grab a college coach. He has no NFL ties to really speak of so why not grab people your accustomed to.

With that being said there's some things I dislike:

-Flynn
-DRC getting paid as well as Nnamdi?
-Trading down twice in the draft I understand its a to accumulate more picks but some of those picks are going to help us yr one or two.
-Not a big fan of the 34 with our current personnel Chase Thomas and Branch, Jesse Williams help but I think your trying to appeal to the posters by keeping around the 43 because of guys like Cole, Kendricks & Ryans
-The way the roster is set up there are no ST warriors just guys who play a 43 and guys who play 34

Things I do like
-Two WRs Patton is going to be nice I brought him up awhile back...
-I like Mathieu's ball skills and return ability I think in order to get him you'll need to spend a 4th
-Even though there's a few too many FAs getting Byrd and Lester would be a dream
-I like Delanie Walker, I think he could be a nice #2 for us
-I like how you took from the front office of winning ball clubs

Things I'd change
-The hybrid works for the Ravens/Seahawks because the same guys aside from maybe 1 guy can come in and change the front I don't know if that's what your going for but I'm unsure if 3-4 different players subbing in to change fronts would be ideal.
-Also in the 34 you have Cole backing up Thomas while Kendricks backing up Graham, maybe flip Cole/Kendricks or move Kendricks inside where he played in the 34 in college.

psn: nlesthought l Peppers90 on the sig

Bird Watch '13 - Placekicker #6 - Alex 'the podiatrist' Henery.
22/27 LNG 51yds; 42 XPs; 1 KOR TD given up.
baconrad3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off...mad props Roll.....while we both did the research, he took the time to do all the writeups, pictures, and finalizing.

To address some of the issues....

Yeah...the coaching staff is inexperienced. But couldn't you see Chip picking guys like this? Also, Harbaufh brought his DC Fangio from Stanford and he's been fine...so I dokt see why people think Smart would have issues transitioning to the NFL...

Maclin is probably a goner by years end...Why not trade him for a guy who could be our QB of the next 6-8 years? Flynn never got a real shot and if he does end up becoming great...that's a steal for him.

Also I believe that Nnamdi and JP both were supposed to take paycuts....Roll just left it off on accident it seems. No biggie

As for the draft....Ninja....Cooper isn't a backup. He would take the job from Mathis within a couple weeks of the season...maybe even before. Just listed Mathis first because he's a vet. I think spending a late first on a guard prospect of Coopers caliber is fine....t worked out for SF didn't it? Cooper and Warmack are both studs and are the two best G prospects to come out in a long time. The draft is very deep and as you can see we stockpiled a lot of.picks....so I don't see why taking a guard is an issue.

Prettyy much every defensive player drafted is perfect for Kirby's defense...which will be similar to what he ran at Bama. All of those guys can play in a 4-3....Chase Thomas is incredibly versatile....same with Williams...Buchanan IMO could be an amazing 4-3 DE. He's an incredible athlete......which is what we wanted to draft....Athletes.

I wanted to change our WR corps drasrically....I personally think that this group would be amazing. We have three guys who are 6'3 or bigger.....we finally have a true number one receiver with Rogers....and as Roll said DeSean can finally be uses the way he's supposed to be used.....Think about how often hell be open underneath with these guys...

As for FA....I don't think its that wild. We brought in one of the FA przes in Byrd....Then Andre Smith who is flyinf under the radar a bit and who btw is a stud....Alan Branch is really good..but he's a bit of an unsung hero...he wouldn't be that expensive....same with Delanie Walker....he has #1 TE potential and would.come relatively cheap....McClain and Alexander are moreso young rotational players....Other than Smith and Byrd...basically all our FA signings are backup/role players...

Also I think.people are really underrating Jeff Stoutland and the impact he would have here. Dude is an amazing coach..college or pros. Andre Smith is similar to DJ Fluker and Stoutland would be able to get the most out of him just like he did with Fluker.

Obviously oour mock isn't perfect and amazing....but I think we did a fine job. Its more difficult thN you'd think with two people. Hopefully we get to see a few more of these...as I believe we were the first team to post ours.

#OfficialBlakeBortlesHypeTrain
RollEagles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I did forget to add the restructured contracts. They are up now.

I'm not going to get very defensive with this mock. I understand that you can't please everyone with these things since different people are looking for different things.

However, I would like to address some of the questions and comments.

Coaching

Regarding this coaching staff having no NFL experience, I think that criticism is fair for the offensive side of the ball. But as one poster pointed out, if we hire an innovative college mind like Chip Kelly, that is to be expected. That is kind of the allure of hiring Chip Kelly. That instead of playing catch up with the latest innovation in offense in the NFL, we will be the ones leading in that aspect. I feel like handcuffing a guy like Norv Turner to Chip Kelly would be a conflict.

On the defensive side of the ball, saying that this coaching staff has no NFL experience isn't entirely true. Kirby Smart coached safeties for the Miami Dolphins in 2006. He knows what coaching in the NFL is like. Obviously he would have more to learn but he has experience calling plays on defense.

Free Agents / Trades

There are a good number of moves. But not so much that it is unbelievable. This mock has us adding 7 veteran players. In our "big" offseason after the lockout, we added 15 players.

Byrd is our big signing. Safety is a position that we absolutely must address. Byrd is an obvious upgrade over anything we have on the roster right now.

Smith is a key signing but with Jake Long likely to hit the market, he isn't going to be the most sought after tackle in free agency. Failing to address tackle this offseason would be a mistake. Instead of drafting a tackle and signing a guard, we went with signing a tackle and drafting a guard.

In order to make the transition to the 3-4 that Kirby Smart wants to run, we have to add players that are capable of playing in both the 3-4 and 4-3. Alan Branch has done both. As has Rolando McClain. Branch and McClain aren't exactly the most costly players. Essentially we would be swapping out Cullen Jenkins for Branch. McClain comes cheap but has a lot of upside since he would be reunited with his old defensive coordinator.

Danario Alexander and Delanie Walker are such small signings. I don't think they really add to the outrageousness of this mock free agency.

The Flynn trade is a reflection of the plan for the future. I will elaborate in the outlook section.

Draft

On the depth chart is shows that Mathis would start over Cooper. This won't last for very long. Cooper isn't anything like fireman Danny. He can play and he is young. Since Warmack is also in this draft, Cooper drops. If not, Cooper would be taken much earlier. We need a solid offensive line moving forward. I don't want any question marks. It only takes one bad offensive lineman to make the whole unit look bad. This entire offseason is largely built around solidifying the offensive line for the future.

The rest of the draft is mostly about building a roster for the future through the draft. Someone made a comment about not changing the culture. We are adding a good number of players in the draft that played at the University of Alabama. Guys who come from a winning culture and guys who have played in a disciplined system. The hope is that it carries over to the NFL.

Most of the defensive guys that we drafted are capable of playing in a 4-3 or 3-4. The ones that aren't capable of starting in both are situational players for either. Also, guys like Nico Johnson and Tyrann Mathieu will contribute on special teams. Johnson was a special teams star at Alabama when he was younger.

Outlook

There was a few comments about how the rebuild should be a two year process.

This is meant to be a two year rebuild at the least. However, just because it is a two year rebuild doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to do the most we can every offseason to get better. We added an extra 2nd round pick for the following year's draft.

We have veteran leaders like Trent Cole and Demeco Ryans who don't necessarily have a strong role in the 3-4 but we can't just cut out all leadership. As those players get older, we can move on from them and complete the transition.

Flynn isn't meant to come in and be the future QB. I just don't feel like there is a stud QB prospect in this draft outside of Geno Smith. And I even have my doubts about him. We have to do what we can until we find our future QB.

As Bacon pointed out, we are changing the type of WRs on this team. Maclin didn't necessarily have a place here anymore. We used him and 4th round pick to add competition at the QB position. I think that is great value.

This team isn't a Superbowl winner in year one. But it is definitely better than 3-13. This offseason would change the culture of the team and give us an entirely new look.

The big holes heading into the offseason are safety, offensive line, and red zone play. We added two new starting safeties, made the offensive line a strength, and fixed our red zone issues by adding tall and physical receivers. The big bodies should help in the red zone. Most of all, new play calling in the red zone should help.

Hope this answers a lot of questions and responds to most of the comments. Sorry if I missed some. Thanks everyone for the input and for taking the time to read the mock!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baconrad3 wrote:
As for FA....I don't think its that wild. We brought in one of the FA przes in Byrd....Then Andre Smith who is flyinf under the radar a bit and who btw is a stud....Alan Branch is really good..but he's a bit of an unsung hero...he wouldn't be that expensive....same with Delanie Walker....he has #1 TE potential and would.come relatively cheap....McClain and Alexander are moreso young rotational players....Other than Smith and Byrd...basically all our FA signings are backup/role players...

As I said in the prior page - you do not account for the fact that this mock would drive this team well above and beyond the salary cap - simple math takes you well over. Taking into account your cuts, your re-signings and your free agents, you are $18 million over the cap.

I don't think you're saving $18 million by re-structuring Peters and Nmandi and even if you do - you still have to sign all of your draft picks. It's unrealistic for that reason alone...

Byrd, Smith and Branch would be a coup for free agency, but once again it's unrealistic, not only because the cap number left would push you over, but you don't account for any of these teams potentially re-signing their own players.

I would be shocked if two of those three players are not franchised and or re-sign. Plus, that takes away from the other 30 teams in the league that are also looking to improve. You should look to sign one marquee free agent, at most.

Plus, it's just flat out bad management - did we not just go through the free agent coup of the century two years ago and it's gotten us an 8-8 and a total debacle this year. Winners are built through the draft and smart free agency, not expending non-existent cap space to fill every single hole on the roster.
baconrad3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was unaware that signing 7 free agents is completely outlandish. Signing free agents is something every team.does...even ones in rebuilding mode. We have wayyyy too many holes to just try and fix through the draft.

Roll just said it....how is this anything like 2011 when we signes 15 players? Were signing.less than half that number here. Branch and Smith aren't getting tagged....don't kid yourself. Seahawks have multiple other defensive players they need to resign that Branch very well may be a goner....and Cincy reportedly isn't trying that hard to keep Smith...at least they won't franchise him...He's a RT.....

#OfficialBlakeBortlesHypeTrain
PhiCelek87

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baconrad3 wrote:
I was unaware that signing 7 free agents is completely outlandish. Signing free agents is something every team.does...even ones in rebuilding mode. We have wayyyy too many holes to just try and fix through the draft.

Roll just said it....how is this anything like 2011 when we signes 15 players? Were signing.less than half that number here. Branch and Smith aren't getting tagged....don't kid yourself. Seahawks have multiple other defensive players they need to resign that Branch very well may be a goner....and Cincy reportedly isn't trying that hard to keep Smith...at least they won't franchise him...He's a RT.....

It's not the number of free agents - it's the quality - I doubt that you'd be able to bring in those three guys. I just think odds of bringing in those three guys is astronomical when you consider there are 31 other teams looking to improve aside from the team resigning these players.

But regardless, moreso than anything else, it's just unrealistic because the cap space simply does not add up. Even if the Eagles could get all these guys to agree - they could not do it because they would not have the cap room.
RollEagles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked at the cap. Modified a few contracts. Added a few players to the cut list that I accidentally forgot.

End up with 7.04485 in salary cap space. Used this website:
http://www.eaglescap.com/next.html

I can understand why it seems like we wouldn't be able to sign those free agents. A key point to consider is that these players are quality free agents but aren't necessarily even the best free agents at their positions.

- In terms of Andre Smith, look at the other free agent OTs. Jake Long is reportedly going to hit the market. So Smith isn't going to be the number one OT in free agency.

- In terms of Jarius Byrd, the other top free agent safeties are Will Moore and Dashon Goldson. Byrd is near the top of that list.

- In terms of Alan Branch, the other top free agent DTs are Terrance Knighton, Glenn Dorsey, and Israel Idonije. Alan Branch is near the top of that list.

Another question that came up is why would those free agents choose a Philadelphia team that is obviously rebuilding and hiring a new coaching staff.
Looking at the Buccaneers offseason last season, we can see that quality players sign with poor teams sometimes.

- The Buccaneers finished the 2011 season at 4-12.

- The Buccaneers hired Greg Schiano. He is a head coach who came from the college ranks and had no head coaching experience in the NFL.

- They then signed Eric Wright to a 5 year, 37.5 million dollar contract. Wright was one of the top corners on the market last offseason.

- They then signed Vincent Jackson to a 5 year, 55 million dollar contract. Jackson was the top wide receiver on the market last offseason.

- They then signed Carl Nicks to a 5 year, 47.5 million dollar contract. Nicks was the top offensive lineman on the market last offseason.

There are many parallels between the Bucs offseason last year and the mock that we made.

- Both hired college coaches with no head coaching experience in the NFL.

- Both teams finished the previous season as one of the worst teams in the NFL.

- The Bucs added 9 veteran players to the roster in their offseason. In our mock, we added 7 veteran players to the roster in the offseason.

- The Bucs added 3 of the top free agents available. We added not the best but players that will be relatively sought after in free agency.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: