Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

BREAKING: Cards Front Office Talking Ray Horton
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like that Horton runs his defense with a clear philosophy/strategy. It doesn't always work and to be truthful it's left us open for attack on a number of occasions but he has a clear vision for his defense and he hasn't wavered. I love that, beings as it's exactly what I believe our offense is missing. A direction, a path, coordination from April to December. I am confident that Ray Horton would bring that to this offense.

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if Horton end up as the Head Coach, waht is the staff under him going to look like.

One would assume tha the offensive staff would be cleaned out. On the defensive side Raich to DC, The others keep their job, Ryan Slowik to LB's coach?

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defensive staff should remain mostly intact. Raich or Cioffi as the DC, maybe even Deshea Townsend, he and Horton are very close. I would think it'll be a lot like our offense runs now though, where the defensive coordinator is merely acting out the gameplan our head coach implements.

Offensively, I don't have the damndest clue. I had reported a while back that Russ Grimm wants out. I wouldn't be surprised if Horton just lets him go.

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
Defensive staff should remain mostly intact. Raich or Cioffi as the DC, maybe even Deshea Townsend, he and Horton are very close. I would think it'll be a lot like our offense runs now though, where the defensive coordinator is merely acting out the gameplan our head coach implements.

Offensively, I don't have the damndest clue. I had reported a while back that Russ Grimm wants out. I wouldn't be surprised if Horton just lets him go.

If Russ leaves where does that put Chad? Cioffi to DC leaves us with the easy move of pushing Townsend to DB's coach.

I would agree that Horton remains in full control of the D, but the HC is always on the sidelines so one of his staff will have to be his eyes in the booth, who he trusts to do that could be the best candidate for the DC job.

The biggest thing there then is that I would hope that Horton hires an OC and hopefully trusts him enough to boht give him an AHC tag and also give him full control over the offense during the season (Except for 4th downs et al which would obviously involve Ray). This guy is 100% responsible for personnel changes, hiring his own staff and running the offense.

stchamp98

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

If Russ leaves where does that put Chad? Cioffi to DC leaves us with the easy move of pushing Townsend to DB's coach.

I would agree that Horton remains in full control of the D, but the HC is always on the sidelines so one of his staff will have to be his eyes in the booth, who he trusts to do that could be the best candidate for the DC job.

The biggest thing there then is that I would hope that Horton hires an OC and hopefully trusts him enough to boht give him an AHC tag and also give him full control over the offense during the season (Except for 4th downs et al which would obviously involve Ray). This guy is 100% responsible for personnel changes, hiring his own staff and running the offense.

1. I don't know, it might just push Chad Grimm out. He's quality control, so he's easily replaced.
2. Horton, IMO, will pick an OC who fits his philosophies. It'll be someone who matches his ideals/wants for an offensive team. Now, what those ideals are, nobody knows but I don't think he'll just blindly let someone run the offense. At least that's my thought right now.

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
2. Horton, IMO, will pick an OC who fits his philosophies. It'll be someone who matches his ideals/wants for an offensive team. Now, what those ideals are, nobody knows but I don't think he'll just blindly let someone run the offense. At least that's my thought right now.

For me it would depend entirely on who the candidate is. If I am in a position where Norv Turner is going to be my OC I am going to defer to him on 99% of all offensive issues. If my OC is Joe Blow former QB's coach. I am going to hire him based on his philosophies and be involved a lot more in the offensive activities.

With Ray though I think taking him away from the defense (I mean the guy works HC hours as the DC) to put any effort into the offense hurts more than it will help this team. So I hope we can make an experienced hire so that Ray does not have to fret about the offense as much.

stchamp98

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

For me it would depend entirely on who the candidate is. If I am in a position where Norv Turner is going to be my OC I am going to defer to him on 99% of all offensive issues. If my OC is Joe Blow former QB's coach. I am going to hire him based on his philosophies and be involved a lot more in the offensive activities.

With Ray though I think taking him away from the defense (I mean the guy works HC hours as the DC) to put any effort into the offense hurts more than it will help this team. So I hope we can make an experienced hire so that Ray does not have to fret about the offense as much.

Bolded: The question that brings is would Ray Horton be interested in that? Being a head coach and running the entire team as opposed to being a head coach who focuses on the defensive and has an offense coordinator who runs 99% of that side of the field are two very different things.

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
khodder wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

Bolded: The question that brings is would Ray Horton be interested in that? Being a head coach and running the entire team as opposed to being a head coach who focuses on the defensive and has an offense coordinator who runs 99% of that side of the field are two very different things.

I suppose it all depends really. I personally would do whatever I felt was best for the team.

How much influence do you think Gary Kubiak has had over the defense in Houston over the last couple of years. How much influence do you think Bill Cowher had on defense with Lebeau there running the show?

stchamp98

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Horton, in my own personal opinion, would choose and then work with an offensive coordinator in the same way that Ken Whisenhunt chose and then worked with him as the defensive coordinator. He's going to give control for the most part to the OC, he'll let him call his own plays with no interference and he'll give him significant personnel and staff imput (Not 100% but a genuine voice nonetheless) BUT, the person who ultimately gets that job will be someone who will do whatever it is that Ray Horton will want to do on offense. If Ray wants pound and ground, he's gonna hire someone who pounds and grounds till the sun goes down. If Ray wants Air Coryell, he'll pick someone who's gonna try to fire the offensive passing attack on all cylinders week after week after week. Ray will for the most part allow his OC to run the offense and he'll have personnel imput but he's going to hire someone who almost suredly is like-minded, the same way Ken Whisenhunt did. And while I'm sure that last Whiz mention will bring the boo birds out, make no mistake, Whiz got that one right.

That's my opinion anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least this would mean an offensive overhaul with the staff and much of the personel.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a great idea, because Ray Horton is someone you want to keep around your team, and once you lock someone in as HC they tend to stay for a while.

Unfortunately, it means the end of Whiz, but he had a good run, was very close to a superbowl victory, which is more than can be said about a lot of head coaches.

As mentioned by others, an offensive co-ordinator is a must. Although I worry that they will only be so effective with our current talent on the o-line and at qb.

Time will tell.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody knows the ineptitude of our offense more than Ray Horton...

Mike Smith
Rex Ryan
Ron Rivera
Raheem Morris
Leslie Frazier
Chuck Pagano

All first time defensive HC's who took a QB with their 1st pick in the last few years. Horton knows he needs a franchise QB to be successful. The position will be addressed.

The Rebuild Has Begun...

Last edited by DirtyDez on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
stchamp98

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any scenario in which Ray Horton would believe we don't need a QB. I don't see any scenario in which our general manager would believe we don't need a QB. It certainly won't be easy to address but I don't see anything to suggest that a new head coach, in this case Ray Horton, wouldn't to his absolute best to try and acquire one for this team.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyp wrote:
I think this is a great idea, because Ray Horton is someone you want to keep around your team, and once you lock someone in as HC they tend to stay for a while.

Unfortunately, it means the end of Whiz, but he had a good run, was very close to a superbowl victory, which is more than can be said about a lot of head coaches.

As mentioned by others, an offensive co-ordinator is a must. Although I worry that they will only be so effective with our current talent on the o-line and at qb.

Time will tell.

Bolded: Whether it's Horton or Whiz or whoever, I think we can all agree that all signs are pointing to our head coach/general manager making big time changes to the offensive player personnel. We're last or 2nd to last in nearly every offensive category.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does Graves survive a Whiz firing fellas?

Doesn't seem right.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: