Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The world according to DHLF
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
detfan782004

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
Boy oh boy. I thought this would get at least one negative comment. Or something.

Hard to read this epic post on a phone. You hit a lot of good points.

Mocks are fun to read for sure but sometimes there simply are untouchable players DHLF

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
Boy oh boy. I thought this would get at least one negative comment. Or something.

Mocks are fun to read for sure but sometimes there simply are untouchable players DHLF

Sometimes there are but only because team won't pay the asking price.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
detfan782004

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

Sometimes there are but only because team won't pay the asking price.

Thus the price tag making them untouchable

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well written DHLF.

Suh - I am a firm believer that you are innocent till proven guilty. It just seems that the media needs some one to be the dirty NFL player. They picked him because he is so violent on the field. But this is the NFL, not college or high school or pee-wee football. Also he plays DT, lineman are the dirtiest players in the league on both sides of the ball. I am just waiting for some one else to do something stupid. Suh has one incident that was truly awful. The stomp... which really was not a stomp. Albert Haynseworth stomped some one.

Stafford - I have posted my analysis in another thread, but I think you are vastly wrong here saying he is top 15. Is he erratic some times, true. Does he miss some throws, sure he does. But all QB's do. The nice thing this year is that I have a dual tv set up, and redzone is on the other channel all the time. QB's miss throws all the time. Brady, Manning, Brees they all miss throws. Eli manning for christ sake misses throws all the time. I posted a stat that if Stafford had all the drops caught his accuracy would be 3rd in the league. Drops happen, but for the Lions the drops tend to be at crucial times and cost us games.

Our O-Line - great at pass blocking, amongst the worst when it comes to run blocking. It is simply awful. Hopefully this is the last year of Peterman and Riola. Peterman is just not good and is constantly being beat both in pass blocking and run blocking. Riola can not get any push. That is why we have to throw the ball on third and one because there is zero faith in us running the ball.

Coaches - Keep gunther and Schwartz. I think Linehan has go to go. He calls the worst plays. I think he wants to establish the run more than he wants to throw the ball. I feel like it is some ego thing for him. When we throw the ball so effectively he wants us to run the ball to kill clock. WE CAN NOT RUN THE BALL.

WR - Just ravished by injuries and inconsistency. I would not be surprised if this was completely overhauled in the off-season minus calvin and broyles.

Defense - DT's play well but, god damn how do they not jump offsides. Corey Williams is the worst offender... he just loves giving away 5 free yards. I highly doubt he will be here.

KVB/Cliff Avril - it has been real but you guys are gone. Take the cap penalty and find some one new to come in.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qball8001 wrote:
Well written DHLF.

Suh - I am a firm believer that you are innocent till proven guilty. It just seems that the media needs some one to be the dirty NFL player. They picked him because he is so violent on the field. But this is the NFL, not college or high school or pee-wee football. Also he plays DT, lineman are the dirtiest players in the league on both sides of the ball. I am just waiting for some one else to do something stupid. Suh has one incident that was truly awful. The stomp... which really was not a stomp. Albert Haynseworth stomped some one.

Stafford - I have posted my analysis in another thread, but I think you are vastly wrong here saying he is top 15. Is he erratic some times, true. Does he miss some throws, sure he does. But all QB's do. The nice thing this year is that I have a dual tv set up, and redzone is on the other channel all the time. QB's miss throws all the time. Brady, Manning, Brees they all miss throws. Eli manning for christ sake misses throws all the time. I posted a stat that if Stafford had all the drops caught his accuracy would be 3rd in the league. Drops happen, but for the Lions the drops tend to be at crucial times and cost us games.

Our O-Line - great at pass blocking, amongst the worst when it comes to run blocking. It is simply awful. Hopefully this is the last year of Peterman and Riola. Peterman is just not good and is constantly being beat both in pass blocking and run blocking. Riola can not get any push. That is why we have to throw the ball on third and one because there is zero faith in us running the ball.

Coaches - Keep gunther and Schwartz. I think Linehan has go to go. He calls the worst plays. I think he wants to establish the run more than he wants to throw the ball. I feel like it is some ego thing for him. When we throw the ball so effectively he wants us to run the ball to kill clock. WE CAN NOT RUN THE BALL.

WR - Just ravished by injuries and inconsistency. I would not be surprised if this was completely overhauled in the off-season minus calvin and broyles.

Defense - DT's play well but, god damn how do they not jump offsides. Corey Williams is the worst offender... he just loves giving away 5 free yards. I highly doubt he will be here.

KVB/Cliff Avril - it has been real but you guys are gone. Take the cap penalty and find some one new to come in.

I agree Linehan is a HUGE issue. He lacks any creativity as well.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice long post way to take time and come up with it... agree with most of it
DrRay11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to read this after my job interview this afternoon/evening. I look forward to it!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My biggest disappointment is the collective record drafting skill positions.

True that includes all of the skill positions. And to postulate a bit on that subject let's consider this:

We regularly pass on defensive guys in favor of offensive guys in most drafts. I think this is because Mayhew and Schwartz have a more discerning eye for defensive talent and they record there shows as much. Despite virtually ignoring the defensive side of the ball they have remained competitive. Lots of small trades that have brought in legit players for next to nothing.

Now here we are on the offensive side of the ball. They know you need to air it out and score points to win but we don't have the same kind of eye for talent that we seem to possess on the defensive side. This is where either our scouting or our ranking system is way off. We put athletic gifts way up there over anything else Al Davis style. Some of our guys just flat out don't catch very well. Some of our guys have major attitude problems. They don't discount for injuries at these positions that require the extra agility to avoid tacklers. Bottom line is I don't know that our front office has the same kind of skill in evaluating offensive talent....
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tytalton wrote:
Quote:

True that includes all of the skill positions. And to postulate a bit on that subject let's consider this:

We regularly pass on defensive guys in favor of offensive guys in most drafts. I think this is because Mayhew and Schwartz have a more discerning eye for defensive talent and they record there shows as much. Despite virtually ignoring the defensive side of the ball they have remained competitive. Lots of small trades that have brought in legit players for next to nothing.

Now here we are on the offensive side of the ball. They know you need to air it out and score points to win but we don't have the same kind of eye for talent that we seem to possess on the defensive side. This is where either our scouting or our ranking system is way off. We put athletic gifts way up there over anything else Al Davis style. Some of our guys just flat out don't catch very well. Some of our guys have major attitude problems. They don't discount for injuries at these positions that require the extra agility to avoid tacklers. Bottom line is I don't know that our front office has the same kind of skill in evaluating offensive talent....

That's an interesting and well-made argument.

Team Stylish
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tytalton wrote:
Quote:

You may be right. It's an interesting observation.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
carlande

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qball8001 wrote:
Well written DHLF.

Suh)

no comment

Stafford)

Way to shine him into the golden idol. Every QB has to deal with receiver drops. Yes the Lions lead the league. But you can't play the "what if" game. You also have to think in terms of winning. Is Stafford a winning QB or is it everyone else's fault? This isn't all on Stafford, but to be one of the elite QBs you have to win win win. Brees has been there and done that so he gets a pass with how the season has gone and/or erratic play. I look at a guy like Phillip Rivers who has been in the playoffs a number of years but hasn't won it all. In the last few years he's had alot of problems and the team has been losing. I couldn't consider him elite. You can't be a top-5 without the wins. Top-15 sure, but it's all debatable as to who is better than who with stats and intangibles.

O-line)

The Lions are right in the middle of the league at 4.2 ypc. Not bad. It can't all be on the o-line. It's not like the Lions have Ray Rice.

Linehan)

The Lions can run the football (see above). You want Stafford to throw the ball 60 times per game like in the Houston game? Linehan has frustrated me at points, don't get me wrong. But he has put together a potent offense outside of the obvious talent of Stafford and CJ.

WR)

Sure...yeah

DTs)

http://www.nflpenalties.com/team/detroit-lions?year=2012

Fairley is the problem on this D-line when it comes to penalties. He has double the amount of off-sides and neutral zone infractions of Corey Williams. However he's also taken double the snaps of Williams this season due to Corey's knee surgery. Total penalty count 9-3 Fairley. He leads the team in penalties with a whopping 7 pre-snap penalties.

Not that I haven't seen the good with Fairley. he looks nimble footed (that sack against Brees last season comes to mind) and when he's disruptive it's great to see. He's also had a few great run stuffs, but he had a few sacks slip right through his hands this year.

KVB/Avril)

KVB might still be a good sign in the offseason for another year at a low price. The guy is intense and commands respect. He's been playing through an arm/shoulder injury? So that would effect his performance a bit. He might be gettting too old true.

Avril might probably be too expensive from what I've gathered. From all I've heard the team is hamstrung in retaining him, or luring any elite free agents due to the money.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: