Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bench Stafford?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lions on top

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Bench Stafford? Reply with quote

I know I will get a lot of flack for this but I really feel like our best legitimate chance to make playoffs would be benching Stafford for Hill. Stafford is very obviously the more talented QB and a lot of has been his team letting him down on offense as well but Stafford these last 6 weeks has made 2 or 3 plays a game that completely change the whole game for us. Maybe it's just a cold streak (that he always seems to have) or maybe he's just not the long term answer but I think Hill being a game managing QB would be the better option. We have two really good running backs to feed the ball and can always get it Calvin in space with anyone throwing it to get some big plays.

Of course, this will never happen because Schwartz is a stubborn mule and since he drafted Stafford thinks he's the next coming of Jesus. But still, feel free to discuss if you feel it's just a losing overreaction or legitimately our best chance.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe I'm even responding to this, but no. Just no.
House of Suhs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put Hill in and we essentially become a poor man's Kansas City Chiefs. I'd rather not have that happen.

All credit of this sig goes to Delphem

RyanFuller003 wrote:

If there were a Hall of Failure, Matt Millen would be a first-ballot lock.
Chups

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't bench Stafford for a poor game in terrible conditions. It's disappointing to see him struggle but he didn't get any help today. He's still one of the better quarterbacks in the league and the best one on this team.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bell loses two key fumbles deep in Philly territory and D gives up nearly 300 yards on ground....lets bench Stafford

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chups wrote:
You can't bench Stafford for a poor game in terrible conditions. It's disappointing to see him struggle but he didn't get any help today. He's still one of the better quarterbacks in the league and the best one on this team.

This game wasn't an isolated incident. He has been making poor decisions with the football for over a month.

Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
DLF54927

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In these conditions, you lean heavily on the OL/DL and running game.

Theirs was light years better than ours today.

And Shaun Hill would have made the difference?

Front 7 took it on the chin repeatedly late in the game.
LION KING

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Stafford had a terrible game specially looked stupid when the center decided to hike him the ball when he was yelling out signals.

Seriously get real dude this loss isn't on Stafford if anything Bell fumbled twice costing us points 1st half and lets not forget the play calling Stafford was throwing the ball okay they decided to be very conservative 1st half and the 2nd half the blown calls bye the refs along with the rushing attack of the Eagles ended up beaten us combine the two game over.

I love the fact 1st drive they measured for 1st down but 3 mins left Mccoy was tag right at the marker they just gave him a first down seriously why in the heck wasn't there a chain measurement did the snow disappear for them to see CLEARER!

YEAH I SAID IT FROM DAY ONE I TAKE A P OVER CALVIN !
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention 3 straight drops on a drive in which we could have came back to tie it. And many other drops. It was a bad game all around, Stafford wasn't sharp but neither was anyone else.

Adopt-A-Lion - Larry Warford, OG as in Original Gangsta
Chups

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
Chups wrote:

This game wasn't an isolated incident. He has been making poor decisions with the football for over a month.

He has still played well in some of those games despite the turnovers. And if Calvin doesn't uncharacteristically lose the ball at the end of the Tampa Bay game, you wouldn't even be saying this right now. You would have overlooked his two interceptions that game because of another great comeback drive by Stafford and therefore eliminating the doubt. But, you are right, that didn't happen and he was docked another interception and another poor outing. (And don't give me the "you're putting words in my mouth" because we both know it's true). The quarterback gets too much credit for winning and too much blame for losing.

He hasn't played his best football recently - I will give you that. But you don't bench your franchise quarterback for a 32+ year old journeymen quarterback in the midst of a playoff run.

Last edited by Chups on Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
DTOW

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most pointless thread of the year, possibly ever. Idiotic to even consider.
lions on top

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He had 5 fumbles today, some of them on Dom, some of them from straight behind center, it could've been much worse for him today if you wanna play the it could've been much better card. I'm not considering the move simply because an outlier game in terrible conditions though. We've lost 3/4 games, and only beat a team that may be a top 5 worst team in the league without their star QB. As I said obviously Stafford is the more talented option but every year he's been a starting QB he's had a 5 or 6 game streak where he turns it over 15 or so times all from the QB position. You can win games in the NFL with your QB doing that.

Last edited by lions on top on Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chups wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
Chups wrote:

He has still played well in some of those games despite the turnovers. And if Calvin doesn't uncharacteristically lose the ball at the end of the Tampa Bay game, you wouldn't even be saying this right now. You would have overlooked his two turnovers that game because of another great comeback drive by Stafford and therefore eliminating the doubt. But, you are right, that didn't happen and he was docked another interceptions and another poor outing. (And don't give me the "you're putting words in my mouth" because we both know it's true). The quarterback gets too much credit for winning and too much blame for losing.

He hasn't played his best football recently - I will give you that. But you don't bench your franchise quarterback for a 32+ year old journeymen quarterback in the midst of a playoff run.

Yes I would. That interception was what iced the game, but it wasn't a poor choice by Stafford. Calvin usually makes that play. He did have many, many poor decisions that put them in a position to need that play though.

You obviously haven't paid too much attention to me, or you wouldn't be putting those words in my mouth then telling me not to tell you not to put words in my mouth. In the Packer blowout I had a long discussion with a fan next to me about Stafford terrible interception in that game so I'm not just a fair weather fan. If I see a poor decision, I'll call him on it, regardless of outcome.

I didn't say we should bench him. He gives us our best chance to win right now, but he needs to improve his decision making and his ball security or he will never be able to bring us where we want to go. Deep into the playoffs.

Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
Chups

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
Chups wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
Chups wrote:

He has still played well in some of those games despite the turnovers. And if Calvin doesn't uncharacteristically lose the ball at the end of the Tampa Bay game, you wouldn't even be saying this right now. You would have overlooked his two turnovers that game because of another great comeback drive by Stafford and therefore eliminating the doubt. But, you are right, that didn't happen and he was docked another interceptions and another poor outing. (And don't give me the "you're putting words in my mouth" because we both know it's true). The quarterback gets too much credit for winning and too much blame for losing.

Yes I would. That interception was what iced the game, but it wasn't a poor choice by Stafford. Calvin usually makes that play. He did have many, many poor decisions that put them in a position to need that play though.

You obviously haven't paid too much attention to me, or you wouldn't be putting those words in my mouth then telling me not to tell you not to put words in my mouth. In the Packer blowout I had a long discussion with a fan next to me about Stafford terrible interception in that game so I'm not just a fair weather fan. If I see a poor decision, I'll call him on it, regardless of outcome.

I didn't say we should bench him. He gives us our best chance to win right now, but he needs to improve his decision making and his ball security or he will never be able to bring us where we want to go. Deep into the playoffs.

Then I don't understand your reply to my first post then if that's not what you are insinuating.

I also don't see the point of bringing up a conversation you had in your personal life to prove a point.

Regardless, I felt you were insinuating that we should at least consider benching Stafford with your first post. You can't always understand the point someone is trying to make over a forum. I apologize.

Anyways, my point still stands. Stafford hasn't played his best football as of late, but he still hasn't been the only reason this team has lost 3 out of their past 4 games. He won't be and shouldn't be benched at any point of this season for a far less talented played in Shaun Hill.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... no.

Team Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: