Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Im putting on my GM hat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SadLionFan00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Im putting on my GM hat Reply with quote

Here's what I would do were I the GM of the Detroit Lions this offseason.

Step 1) Jim Schwartz and the entire coaching staff is fired. Gunther can stay if the new HC is cool with it, and he wants to.

Hire Wade Phillips as the HC. He brings in his people.

re-sign
Chris Houston (This is the first thing after finding a HC)
Gosder Cherilous
Willie Young
Joique Bell
Deandre Levy
Sammie Lee Hill
Kassim Osgood
Ricardo Silva
Ashlee Palmer

Franchise Tag Louis Delmas. Give him one year to show he can be healthy.

FA signings
Rashean Mathis (Should come relatively cheap, will battle it out with youngsters)
Nate Clements (adding another vet back there that should come decently inexpensive)
Devery Henderson (with Broyles hurt again and Titus looking about gone, were gonne need help there)
Then a bunch of scrubs to fill in the backup holes. But these 3 can make an impact, all should come cheap enough to stay under the cap.

Onto the draft.

1. Barkevious Mingo DE LSU
With Wade Phillips coming in, we will, natually, be moving to the 3-4 base. With only Willie Young as a possible starter capable of playing OLB, we need to add one of the top available pass rushers. Mingo has huge potential, and fits well with the system. He wont pay immediate dividends, but will be a major piece down the road.

2. Eric Reid S LSU
Safety is probably our biggest immediate need. Delmas is always hurt, and the two scrubs we have rotating in each week always seem to mess up. Reid would obviously not start with Clements and Delmas slated to start, but he should see plenty of playing time, and ideally a starter by next year. The question is, which S will he replace?

3. Tavon Austin WR West Virginia
Never hurts to add a playmaker to the offense. We have plenty of big WRs in CJ, Pettigrew, and Scheff. Hopefully this time, our undersized playmaker stays healthy/isnt a jerk.

4. Braxston Cave C Notre Dame
A bit inconsistance, but could be good. See what he can do behind Dom, let him compete for playing time next year.

5. Damion Square DT Alabama
Losing C-Will and now playing 3 DTs, we need to add more depth.

6. Jeff Braun OT West Virginia
A part of an elite O-line, he could slide into guard. Always nice to add depth, hope he can push for a starting spot some day.

Here's what our product looks like on the field

QB Stafford
RB Bell/LeShoure
WR CJ/Henderson/Thomas/Broyles
TE Pettigrew/Scheffler
OT Reiff/Cherilous
OG Sims/Peterman
C Raiola

DE Suh/Fairley
NT SLH
OLB Young/Lewis/Mingo
ILB Levy/Tulloch/Lewis
CB Houston/Mathis/Bently
S Delmas/Clements/Reid

I didnt get too specific, but you see my general theme here. Sticking with what we've got, but putting things in the hands of a different, much more mature, coaching staff. We use the draft to help rebuild areas where we lose players to FA. Get some veteran stop-gaps to help too.

Thoughts?
Get him to fling poo more accurately and make better decisions when flinging it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
detfan782004

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does Gunther get a free pass?

If u are gonna fault Schwartz they all must go.

Fords ahold fire Mayhew too

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wade Philips no thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pettigrew could be described in any number of ways but playmaker isn't one of them. He has serious trouble catching any passes more than 15 yards. Playmaker? Are you serious???

By the way, we traded our 4th round selection in last year's draft.
DrRay11

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wade Phillips???
stylish313

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 years, 3 tiny WR's. No thank you.

And claiming Willie Young is a capable 3-4 OLB is quite the stretch. He hasn't proven to be a capable anything, other than rest relief.

The other thing that caught my attention was franchising Delmas Confused Lost cause
detfan782004

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionsfanforever wrote:
Wade Philips no thank you.

I am against firing coach but I concur Wade sucks. I would rather have Rob Ryan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
Why does Gunther get a free pass?

If u are gonna fault Schwartz they all must go.

Fords ahold fire Mayhew too

I like Gunther. It's Wade's call. He's done pretty well, considering what our secondary consists of.

And in this theoretical mock, Mayhew has been fired, and I was given the helm Cool

But I think you guys hate on Phillips too much. He was a good coach in Dallas. He dealt with a team full of divas pretty well. He was under the microscope, and I think he would have done a lot better if he had a better team (or a GM) and didnt have the pressure of Garrett basically being the HC in waiting.

He's got the experience, we all know he works magic on defense, and we know he wont make major mistakes like Schwartz.

stylish313 wrote:
3 years, 3 tiny WR's. No thank you.

And claiming Willie Young is a capable 3-4 OLB is quite the stretch. He hasn't proven to be a capable anything, other than rest relief.

The other thing that caught my attention was franchising Delmas Confused Lost cause

Austin is more filling the role of playmaker. Broyles isnt that small, but he is a pretty good #2 should he get healthy. With the Henderson signing, that gives us 3 solid receivers (well, CJ is beyond solid, but you get my point). With Scheffler and Pettigrew at TE, we dont really need any other big possession receivers.

As fro franchising Delmas, its a low risk move. We see how much better the defense is when he plays. There is no way we can commit to a contract, but letting a guy that important just walk away is silly. Give him a year to see if he can play healthy. If he does, throw him a contract. If not, good thing we drafted a safety in round two.

Oh, and Willie Young is more of a hope so. If we cant resign Avril (very doubtful) and LoJack (not a fit at 3-4 OLB) we are pretty screwed in that department. So its more of a "hope Willie Young can be solid" type of deal. With the FAs and lack of cap room, getting even a servicable guy there is going to be tough. Luckily, with the Phillips' 3-4 defense, the defensive line is responsible for a lot of the pressure on the QB. Good thing we got Suh, Fairley, and SLH. I wouldnt be too worried.

WillParks wrote:
Pettigrew could be described in any number of ways but playmaker isn't one of them. He has serious trouble catching any passes more than 15 yards. Playmaker? Are you serious???

I agree, which is why I never called him a playmaker.
Get him to fling poo more accurately and make better decisions when flinging it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mijags

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont care who you are, 5'9 (tavon austin) ia TINY in the NFL.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: