Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

AP & the Full Back Question....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we get rid of the Full Back?
Yes
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
No
95%
 95%  [ 23 ]
Who cares
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 24

malachi2532

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: AP & the Full Back Question.... Reply with quote

I have always heard Adrian say he would rather run without a FB in front of him.

After these last 5 to 7 games some of his best runs are with an extra TE at the line of scrimmage.

I've always agreed with this train of thought considering that one of the most frustrating things I see in Adrian's game is on those 2-3 yard gains he is usually running right into one of his linemen's back.

My second thought was that if there was one less person in his way initially. Then it would help him get thru those bodies better because the field is now more clear to see with his, not bad but not great vision.

How do you guys feel on my take?
Freakout

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peterson's best years has been when he is running behind a fullback. I have always been a fan of having a fullback if you want to be a power running team. Once Peterson is past the linebackers, he becomes too hard to bring down for defensive backs.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like what Felton has done, but i generally agree that a FB makes an offense too one-dimensional and easy to defend. You really need that FB/TE/HB type who can be a receiver and lead blocker. Long-term, I would hope that Ellison can develop into an effective lead blocker and the Vikes coudl get rid of the FB all together.

But for now, Felton has been a good player for the run game.

Felton is not a threat in anyway and is one less player the defense has to concern themselves. If Ellison replaced Felton, defenses have to worry about Ellison lining up at TE, FB, out wide and he is a pretty good receiver himself.

You limit your options greatly with a true FB.
Klomp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a FB as lead blocker forces Adrian to be patient and wait for the openings. I think that is a big reason for a lot of his long runs.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakout wrote:
Peterson's best years has been when he is running behind a fullback. I have always been a fan of having a fullback if you want to be a power running team. Once Peterson is past the linebackers, he becomes too hard to bring down for defensive backs.

Oh i agree, I like having a FB who can lead block for the power running game.

The point that I was making is that I prefer to have a player who can line up at TE and lead block like a FB, just as effectively.

Basically, Felton is good at one thing and the defense knows why he is in there. If you can get a lead blocking FB who can play TE effectively who can be a threat as a receiver you get the benefit of the power running game but the flexibiltiy of multi TE sets. I really hope Rhett Ellison can develop into that type of player, he has the skill set and I think that is why he was drafted higher than most anticipated.
Klomp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:

The point that I was making is that I prefer to have a player who can line up at TE and lead block like a FB, just as effectively.

Basically, Felton is good at one thing and the defense knows why he is in there. If you can get a lead blocking FB who can play TE effectively who can be a threat as a receiver you get the benefit of the power running game but the flexibiltiy of multi TE sets. I really hope Rhett Ellison can develop into that type of player, he has the skill set and I think that is why he was drafted higher than most anticipated.

So basically you'd rather have a Jeff Dugan? Laughing

And while the defense knows why he's in there, it hasn't seemed to make a difference yet.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

So basically you'd rather have a Jeff Dugan? Laughing

And while the defense knows why he's in there, it hasn't seemed to make a difference yet.

No, not a Jeff Dugan. Dugan wasnt good at anything. Basically Jim Kleinsasser in his prime. Great lead blocker but someone who can play TE.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peterson doesn't have great vision? What? If anything, he has the best vision for any RB in the league. Some of those 2,3 yard runs should have probably been like -4 yard runs. He makes plays no other RB in the league could probably make. He's just an extraordinarily talented RB, and his vision is a big reason why.

I like having a Fullback in the offense. Peterson this year has shown amazing patience in the hole, allowing his blockers to get in front of him, and then explode. Jerome Felton is also playing great. Both things are going well for the offense.

and obviously having a fullback is good because he can be a checkdown option for the QB. I'll take a 2-5 yard gain in the air over an incompletion or worse.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
perrynoid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the way I see it: what is the benefit of having a FB? If the FB can get to the LB or DB's, and execute a decent block, it has the potential to spring AD for a big run. But, if a DL blows up the play, and gets too much penetration, then having the FB on the field is almost detrimental to the success of the play, as the FB is pretty much leading where the direction of the play is designed to go. In other words, to derive the fullest impact of having a FB on the field, we need better guards.
Swaps

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:

No, not a Jeff Dugan. Dugan wasnt good at anything. Basically Jim Kleinsasser in his prime. Great lead blocker but someone who can play TE.

Only problem is that when Kleinsasser was in his prime he was only a blocking TE. He rarely spent time as a blocking FB.

"the more I like you, the more I want to smash your face into the ground." -- Jared Allen
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its better for his own good.
He doesnt like it but the results show for themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerome Felton has been an awesome blocker this year why fix wasn't isn't broken.

Shoutout to JTagg7754 on the sig!

"Welcome to the end of your life and I promise it's gonna hurt"

"Fresh out of the Factory with no warrenty and already broken what a pity"
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: AP & the Full Back Question.... Reply with quote

malachi2532 wrote:
I have always heard Adrian say he would rather run without a FB in front of him.

I haven't heard him say that in over 3 years. And anyway, I think it's a moot idea at this point, because he runs significantly better with one than without.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peterson said in the offseason that we had a "special guy" at the position this year and he loves running behind him.
VikeADunn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AP posted this on his twitter

http://prod.video.vikings.clubs.nfl.com/MIN/videos/dct/video_audio/2012/12-December/VoteJerome-3150.mp4

[quote="tylerdouglass"]VikeADunn, you're my hero.[/quote]

2013 Adopt-A-Viking: DT Sharrif Floyd
Tk: 2 Sk: Stf: PD: 2 FF/FR:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: