Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Biggest difference maker this year as opposed to last?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which player has the biggest difference maker this year for the Cowboys?
Dez Bryant's emergence
47%
 47%  [ 8 ]
Demarco Murray's return
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Anthony Spencer
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Brandon Carr
23%
 23%  [ 4 ]
Morris Claiborne
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other (Witten, Romo, Lee, etc.)
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 17

Tony7188

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Biggest difference maker this year as opposed to last? Reply with quote

The Cowboys are now in the thick of the playoff race and control their own destiny. The biggest difference in this team as opposed to last year is their play in December. Last year, the Cowboys were 7-4 and proceeded to go 1-4 in their final 5 games in December. This year, the Cowboys were 5-6 heading into December and are now 3-0. It begs the question, what has changed so drastically with this team as opposed to last? Which player has been the biggest difference maker this year for the Cowboys?

For me it's Dez Bryant. His play has been incredible and his desire to play (even through his broken finger) the game has provided a spark to this team. His understanding of the offense has led to a breakout year for him and it now makes things easier for Romo with defenses now having to double team him. It seems like Dez has also matured in front of our eyes and the team can start to trust him again.

ware94 wrote:
Gameball: Any remaining Cowboys fans.

Last edited by Tony7188 on Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total
BloodOps

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard not to go with Dez on this one and I really don't have to explain why, just look at what we've done the past month and some when he's been putting up monster numbers.
Tony7188

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BloodOps wrote:
It's hard not to go with Dez on this one and I really don't have to explain why, just look at what we've done the past month and some when he's been putting up monster numbers.

A case can be made for Demarco Murray, Spencer, etc.

ware94 wrote:
Cicero

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The coaching staff, in my opinion. Save for some bonehead calls by the coaches in crunchtime decisions, the overall coaching has improved dramatically. Players seemed to have bought into the system, made the right off season moves with free agency and the draft, and all of which has transitioned onto the field.

Individually, I'd say it'd have t be Dez Bryant. As a unit, I'd say the defense. But overall, my vote goes to the coaching staff.

Wondering where I can apply for the DCRA?
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fear this thread may be premature as any loss likely keeps us out of the playoffs.

That being said, honestly, Brandon Carr deserves a lot of love here. If TNew makes a crucial INT against the giants instead of getting hurdled over left and right... We win the division last year.

Dez's contribution has been huge but last year we had Laurent Robinson who played great for us. Brandon Carr actually making plays in the secondary, IMO, has been the biggest difference.

Slam sig bet participants:

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
TVScout

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go with Carr here based upon what happened this month. His ints essentially won the games against the Bengals and Steelers. He has stabilized the secondary and without Brandon we would be 6-8 and out of it.
SHSTE92

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me crazy but Dwayne Harris is just doing all the little things. Big returns, helping out in the passing game etc I know he isn't the best or the MVP but having a WR who can be relied on in the passing and return games has been a big difference. No fumbles, better field position. Just wanted to give him a nod is all.

Me on the sig in MS Paint Razz
matt79511

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHSTE92 wrote:
Call me crazy but Dwayne Harris is just doing all the little things. Big returns, helping out in the passing game etc I know he isn't the best or the MVP but having a WR who can be relied on in the passing and return games has been a big difference. No fumbles, better field position. Just wanted to give him a nod is all.

Yeah, um, Laurent Robinson?

Secondary play has absolutely been the key difference between this year and last year. While they haven't been perfect or anything, they were just laughably bad last year.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
I fear this thread may be premature as any loss likely keeps us out of the playoffs.

That being said, honestly, Brandon Carr deserves a lot of love here. If TNew makes a crucial INT against the giants instead of getting hurdled over left and right... We win the division last year.

Dez's contribution has been huge but last year we had Laurent Robinson who played great for us. Brandon Carr actually making plays in the secondary, IMO, has been the biggest difference.

I forgot about Laurent Robinson's contributions last year. I had at second behind Dez but I'm going to change that. Carr has been everything T-New was the past two years

ware94 wrote:
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dez Bryant's first half was atrocious - his second half has been amazing; but I think the bigger difference has been Carr vs Newman

Also - Romo had a tough first half but in the last 7 games where we've gone 5-2, Romo is:

193 of 275 (70%) for 2196yds (8.0ypa) 13 TDs, 3 INTs, 1 FL and a 105.1 QBR

I would say that transformation behind a still abysmal OL has been the biggest key to our turnaround.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The additions of Carr and Claiborne have been the biggest reasons for the team's success IMO. Although the defence still has holes, having two CBs that can cover one-on-one has allowed Ryan and the team to compensate for losses up the middle, such as having Jenkins play some FS or only keeping one safety high. Carr and Claiborne have also been playmakers; Carr, in particular, has been great the past couple of weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Dez Bryant's first half was atrocious - his second half has been amazing; but I think the bigger difference has been Carr vs Newman

Also - Romo had a tough first half but in the last 7 games where we've gone 5-2, Romo is:

I would say that transformation behind a still abysmal OL has been the biggest key to our turnaround.

Romo when he throws to Bryant has like a ~120 QBR... He has ~90 or less to all the other WRs.

You sure that Romos miraculous turn around has nothing to do with the emergence of Dez?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

Romo when he throws to Bryant has like a ~120 QBR... He has ~90 or less to all the other WRs.

You sure that Romos miraculous turn around has nothing to do with the emergence of Dez?

I'm sure the fact that Dez has learned how to read a D pre-snap and which route he needs to run based on the play call has certainly helped reduce the number of INT's being thrown.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

I'm sure the fact that Dez has learned how to read a D pre-snap and which route he needs to run based on the play call has certainly helped reduce the number of INT's being thrown.

It has also led to 10 of the 13 TDs you mention above. Quite a transformation that 77% of his TD production comes from 1 player...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

It has also led to 10 of the 13 TDs you mention above. Quite a transformation that 77% of his TD production comes from 1 player...

You mean 70% of the TD's have gone to our #1 WR? Shocked

Seriously though I don't see your point here. Dez has improved - HE'S SUPPOSED TO! - why would I get all gushy and warm over a guy doing what he needs to do - it only took him 3 years to figure out how to read a D and run a route and even that's still questionable.

I've said all along what's wrong with Dez - never have I said he couldn't improve - so stop acting like I've been a hater rather than just calling it as I saw it and been right about him all along.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: