Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 14: VIKINGS (6-6) vs. Bears (8-4)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61, 62  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Viking

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this providence wrote:
This game shows how conditioned Vikings fans have been to QB play. Some are saying that is an acceptable game from a starting QB in the NFL. Laughing
besides the interception what exactly did he do wrong. It wasn't a great game but he didn't need to be great. Peterson and the defense were great today.. ponder did his job, can't say he didn't..
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Viking wrote:
this providence wrote:
This game shows how conditioned Vikings fans have been to QB play. Some are saying that is an acceptable game from a starting QB in the NFL. Laughing
besides the interception what exactly did he do wrong. It wasn't a great game but he didn't need to be great. Peterson and the defense were great today.. ponder did his job, can't say he didn't..

Agreed, Ponder today was acceptable in the sense of what I have become accustomed to the past month. However, throwing for 100 yards is not acceptable for a starting QB. I just dont see it getting much better this year, so the best i can hope for is moving the ball on third down and limiting those crippling/game changing mistakes.
ArcticNorseman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having digested the game for a while, enjoying the win, I understand the frustration with the QB numbers ... one week, he makes two bad throws and loses the game, the next week, he makes one bad throw and wins, yet the negativity is just astounding to me.

Were Ponder's numbers great? Nope. The Vikings ran the ball 38 times versus 18 dropbacks for a pass. On some of his passes though, there were 3rd down conversions that were huge!

Chicago dropped back to pass 55 times versus 18 runs. Quite frankly, if Brinkley doesn't take the one pass off his buttcheek, rather turns his head, there's 3 picks and I'd argue Ponder outplayed Cutler. And Sanford's drop would've made it 4.

Heck, Russell Wilson and Matt Flynn are combining for Ponder type numbers . . . and they're winning 51-0. So, does it really take elite QB play every week to win?

No -- it's a team game. I will concede that Ponder needs to make throws all the time, not just on 3rd down & he needs to air it out to guys that are single-covered.

At one point, I thought the run defense was playing good . . . but in reality, the Vikes were lucky to be up two scores, forcing the Bears to throw. Good thing the pass rush got to Cutler a lot -- I like that it affected his accuracy and timing.

Kudos to the O-line . . . Peterson needs to buy them steak dinners!
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Captain Viking wrote:
this providence wrote:

Agreed, Ponder today was acceptable in the sense of what I have become accustomed to the past month. However, throwing for 100 yards is not acceptable for a starting QB. I just dont see it getting much better this year, so the best i can hope for is moving the ball on third down and limiting those crippling/game changing mistakes.

Unless he's your fantasy football QB (if he is, you probably shouldn't be playing fantasy football) I don't understand why we need to set some passing yardage stat bar to say if a QB played well or not.

Ponder SHOULD have had over this 100 yard statistical bar you set for him. But drops from the WRs hurt. We had a sure TD when he threw it to Aromashadu, but he didn't even attempt to catch the ball. It was a perfect pass. Jarius Wright also dropped one.

Add in the fact that Phil Loadholt had 2 crippling False Start/Holding penalties on him, and we hurt our chances of throwing more.

Ponder did just fine with me. You don't beat Chicago throwing 35-40 times a game. 15-20 is the perfect amount, and thats exactly what we did (There, THAT was an important stat)

Bright and Happy days are coming to the Minnesota Vikings very soon.
this providence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is too funny. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, how about we focuses on a positive thing or two instead of all this negative bull all the time, doesn't that sound like a fun idea?! Here, I'll start...

1. We beat the friggin Bears, a team that has been a major challenge for the last 3 years, and a team that is mostly superior to us in pretty much as aspects of the game besides offensive line and running backs (yes, that includes Jerome Felton).

2. I need not explain why Adrian Peterson is included here.

3. Rick Spielman REALLY knows how to draft. Harrison Smith and Josh Robinson have immediately paid dividends and vastly improved the secondary, Matt Kalil is playing at a Pro Bowl level and has given the line an anchor for the next decade or so, Blair Walsh has given us Vikings fans a strong legged kicker that we have severly lacked during the Ryan Longwell era, and Jarius Wright and Rhett Ellison have contributed more and more as the season goes on. Factor in guys like Robert Blanton and Greg Childs who can contribute for the future, and Rick is really giving me hope for this coming April.

Yay, not being negative!

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

players i enjoyed watching today:

Peterson - but does that need to be said? well, yes!

Harrison Smith - not only for his INT and runback, but he's all over the field. in run support, blitzing, double covering, and always between the receivers and the goal line. tight tackler too.
Everson Griffen - guy just has a knack for being around the ball.
Josh Robinson - had single coverage on Marshall all day long it appears, but did well.
Kluwe - for his public support of Ray Guy, which he'll probably be fined for.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:

Harrison Smith - not only for his INT and runback, but he's all over the field. in run support, blitzing, double covering, and always between the receivers and the goal line. tight tackler too.
Josh Robinson - had single coverage on Marshall all day long it appears, but did well.

Love that list. Great performances from that group all around today. In the case of Peterson, it's an every-week thing.

Peppers90 on the sig.
skywindO2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:

Quote:
Fine will probably be $5k. First time offender with no previous issues. #totallyworthitthough

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つZIMMER༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
chuck44

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:

[b]Josh Robinson - had single coverage on Marshall all day long it appears, but did well[/b].

HUh?....Winfield and Jefferson were on Marshall most of the day not Robinson...Robinson has shown potential,,,BUT..his ball skills are bad...he gets lost in zone coverage...and gets beat man to man frequently(not just today)he is always close but never seems to make the play....but his tackling is solid....he has a long way to go...Kinda reminds me of Marcus Macauley's first year..potential only goes so far....both his int"s this year have been gifts
ktarinze

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Viking wrote:
this providence wrote:

all he did was not mess up if that is acceptable then good lord. A 2nd string QB can do what he just did. All he did was throw a couple of short completions.
ktarinze

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this providence wrote:
This is too funny. Laughing

It really is. First excuses and now this is acceptable. I mean people even blamed musgrave for his int.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i agree. Ponder didn't have a good game by NFL standards. he just didn't lose the game for us.

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skywindO2 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

Quote:
Fine will probably be $5k. First time offender with no previous issues. #totallyworthitthough

Ray Guy was an amazing player. no one before him equaled his accomplishments, and i wouldn't doubt no one after him either. kicking just wasn't important in the olden days of football, it was more of an after thought.

Guy played safety in college too, and John Madden (who was of course known for his hyperbole) said he saw Guy throw the ball in practice once from goal line to goal line.

Webmaster wrote:
Yfz01

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Captain Viking wrote:
this providence wrote:

Unless he's your fantasy football QB (if he is, you probably shouldn't be playing fantasy football) I don't understand why we need to set some passing yardage stat bar to say if a QB played well or not.

Ponder SHOULD have had over this 100 yard statistical bar you set for him. But drops from the WRs hurt. We had a sure TD when he threw it to Aromashadu, but he didn't even attempt to catch the ball. It was a perfect pass. Jarius Wright also dropped one.

Add in the fact that Phil Loadholt had 2 crippling False Start/Holding penalties on him, and we hurt our chances of throwing more.

Ponder did just fine with me. You don't beat Chicago throwing 35-40 times a game. 15-20 is the perfect amount, and thats exactly what we did (There, THAT was an important stat)

I wouldn't say perfect throw to Aromashadu. It was decent but underthrown. Still one of the better passes from Ponder over the last 6 weeks or so. Laughing

Lil Uno with the sig.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61, 62  Next
Page 60 of 62

Jump to: