Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Titans Draft Thread(We Own Pick #10)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 60, 61, 62  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanSS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSlim wrote:
TitanSS wrote:

I feel like Fletcher was stronger at the point of attack. I'm all for bringing in another DT and one that can rush the passer is great, but I don't think Richardson is going to be it. He can penetrate, but is moved easier than suits me in the middle of the defense. Purely 1 gap DT.

Dee Milliner is my pick if he's still available, and if not I am undecided.

Andrew Luck has about 15 years left in him, and we're not going to stand much of a chance without a top flight corner. Unlike signing a DT (or any lineman or safety) cornerbacks cost way to much to sign via free agency. In order to get solid young talent you have to draft them and I feel like this is our best chance to get a true #1 CB.

This is a pass first league and it is not uncommon for 3 WRs to be on the field, especially on the most cruicial 3rd down. If you can't stop people on 3rd down you can't stop them at all, and I feel like that's why we give up so many 3rd and longs. Because we only have two good corners and both of them are solid #2's.

With the addition of Milliner we move Verner to the slot and become a MUCH MUCH improved team over the middle of the field and on third down.

Fantasy Land:
FA signing - Henry Melton

1. Dee Milliner - CB
2. Larry Warford - OG
3. Jonathan Cyprien - S

I don't know how I feel about Richardson. I could see him becoming one of the premeir DTs in the league. His athleticism is crazy for a guy his size. The thing is, I could also very easily see him becoming a big bust. It's kind of the same way I felt about Zach Brown last year. Fortunately for us, Zach Brown appears to be on the road to becoming a great OLB for us.

It's funny because I remember me and you being the few posters who wanted us to draft Milliner way back in October. Many couldn't phanthom us drafting a CB back then but here we are. I've been a fan of his all season. He's a guy who could start from day one, allowing (like you said) Verner to move inside. Ideally if Milliner is gone by the time we pick, we trade back (unless Star just so happens to fall to us). However that's easier said than done.

Also a guy I want us to get who I think will be a steal is Mike Gillislee. He runs with a conviction and authority that I like and want in a RB. He takes one cut then boom (John Madden voice). He's not a guy who does too much dancing behind the line which is my biggest problem with CJ. He also is a great pass blocker, so at the very least he should be a great 3rd down back. I think he's this year's Bernard Pierce.

TitanSlim: I have a huge feeling Richardson is going to be a bust. He seems to be a great pass rusher, but I feel like a lot of those guys that aren't great at the point of attack and excel at rushing 1 gap are washed away eventually. I have always thought we need another CB and apparently me, you, and KingTitan are the only ones on this forum that can accept that in a passing league you need your passing defense to be your biggest strength to be a strong defense. And having two #2 corners with noone inside to play nickel is not cutting it. Anyone who would argue that it is must be blind. We got tore up over the middle last year and partially because of our safety play, but also because our inside corners are awful. Sensabaugh is the only one of the #3 and beyond guys I think has a chance.

KingTitan: I am with you guys that I like Gillislee but I think Franklin would be a better pick for us unless we let go of Johnson. I'd like Gillislee more if he was a little bigger, but he plays big. 5'9" 220 lbs with legs the size of a tree trunk is my ideal runningback Smile

On Vaccaro, I wouldn't take him in the first round unless possibly very late in the first round. There is just way too much value at safety this year and if you look at the 2nd-5th and 6th rated safetys there isn't much drop off between them and Vaccaro.

As of now, I'm with TitanSlim. If Milliner is not there I want to trade back and pick up another 2nd/3rd round pick. I don't see the value at 10 with anyone else that is projected to be available. I'm starting to look at Alec Ogletree - ILB - Georgia at 10. Before anyone guts me, I'm just researching him. ILB is far from our biggest need, but McCarthy is a liability in pass coverage and Ogletree is an athletic former safety. Ogletree is said to possibly be a liability in run defense so I'll watch some tape and decide for myself. Having a linebacker inside capable of covering the pass would be great. We wouldn't have to rely as much on our nickel package and would be much better suited to defend the hurry up offense and tight ends.
TitanSS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeeeahhhhh. Go ahead and forget everything I said about Alec Ogletree. He's not NFL ready. If you listen to the reviews on him he sounds great as long as the DL can occupy blockers. Athleticism is so appealing to add to our defense, but if you watch him for yourself you think "Damn, we should draft Eddie Lacy". Smile

McCarthy will have to get a 3rd chance.

Also willing to take a look at Richardson. Him getting washed away in the running game is scary, but he does penetrate very well.

Last edited by TitanSS on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total
titanzfn10

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of right now if Lotulelei is gone, I would pick Hankins at #10. I would like to see a DT rotation of Casey, Hankins, Martin, and D. Harris(Marks is gone) and Klug switching between DT/DE. With that size in the middle you can protect McCarthy a little more.Its still early...but I still say go DT in the 1st round.
lamont

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full list of the invitees to the 2013 NFL Scouting Combine.
2 weeks, "can't wait". Cool

http://www.nflcombine.net/players/official-invite-list

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
Shout out to NS922 on da sig
KingTitan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titanzfn10 wrote:
As of right now if Lotulelei is gone, I would pick Hankins at #10. I would like to see a DT rotation of Casey, Hankins, Martin, and D. Harris(Marks is gone) and Klug switching between DT/DE. With that size in the middle you can protect McCarthy a little more.Its still early...but I still say go DT in the 1st round.

He seems like a little too much of ordinary to be top 10. I think he has gotten by so far because of his sheer size compared to other college players.

That is the hardest thing with DTs. A lot of them have great "college strength" and can push people around but when they get to the pros and everyone is super strong, they are not much of anything due to no technique.
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:
Yeeeahhhhh. Go ahead and forget everything I said about Alec Ogletree. He's not NFL ready. If you listen to the reviews on him he sounds great as long as the DL can occupy blockers. Athleticism is so appealing to add to our defense, but if you watch him for yourself you think "Damn, we should draft Eddie Lacy". Smile

Also willing to take a look at Richardson. Him getting washed away in the running game is scary, but he does penetrate very well.

3rd chance? McCarthy is not going anywhere and he sure isn't getting replaced. The Titans would not try to replace their defensive leader. They'll try to improve the depth behind, so Tim Shaw isn't starting any games for them but that's it.
KingTitan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttitansfan4life wrote:
TitanSS wrote:

3rd chance? McCarthy is not going anywhere and he sure isn't getting replaced. The Titans would not try to replace their defensive leader. They'll try to improve the depth behind, so Tim Shaw isn't starting any games for them but that's it.

I know you have a very high place for Colin and rightly so. He has been a good player, when he is in there.
But yes, 3rd chance. He hasn't proved to be able to play in the NFL for 16 games. That is a problem. We have seen great players come through here but injuries killed their career. Call it just bad luck or a rough stretch but it's reality. Injuries in College and now also in the pros.

But they aren't looking for just "depth" if you ask me. They are looking for someone that can start. Colin will be the starter, because he has earned that, but I'm of the impression that Colin isn't going to be a "lock" to be the starter. It won't be an "open competition" but he will be pushed hopefully if we make the right moves.

Defensive leader is thrown around and he is in the front with his knowledge and getting everyone in the right spot with defensive calls but he isn't the defensive leader. We don't really have one. He was voted team captain, but a "leader" I don't think he has reached that level yet.
TitanSS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
TitanSS wrote:

I know you have a very high place for Colin and rightly so. He has been a good player, when he is in there.
But yes, 3rd chance. He hasn't proved to be able to play in the NFL for 16 games. That is a problem. We have seen great players come through here but injuries killed their career. Call it just bad luck or a rough stretch but it's reality. Injuries in College and now also in the pros.

But they aren't looking for just "depth" if you ask me. They are looking for someone that can start. Colin will be the starter, because he has earned that, but I'm of the impression that Colin isn't going to be a "lock" to be the starter. It won't be an "open competition" but he will be pushed hopefully if we make the right moves.

Defensive leader is thrown around and he is in the front with his knowledge and getting everyone in the right spot with defensive calls but he isn't the defensive leader. We don't really have one. He was voted team captain, but a "leader" I don't think he has reached that level yet.

This exactly. And out of the trio he is by far the worst LB to have in on passing downs. Zach brown should take over the leadership role and McCarthy should be the LB who leaves the field in nickel packages unless ayers is at DE.
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:
KingTitan wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
TitanSS wrote:

This exactly. And out of the trio he is by far the worst LB to have in on passing downs. Zach brown should take over the leadership role and McCarthy should be the LB who leaves the field in nickel packages unless ayers is at DE.

You just don't become a leader. Brown is too quiet to be a leader. And you don't take off the leader. He's the best LB of all 3 so I'm not sure where your seeing worst. Our D is much better when he's on the field.
KingTitan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttitansfan4life wrote:
You just don't become a leader. Brown is too quiet to be a leader. And you don't take off the leader. He's the best LB of all 3 so I'm not sure where your seeing worst. Our D is much better when he's on the field.

That's a big assumption. Do you know for sure that Brown is quiet? or Was he just being a rookie and not stepping out of turn?

I don't think it's safe to call McCarthy our best LB. He doesn't have the coverage ability and speed like Brown and he can't rush the passer like Ayers.

Not saying he is the worst, but he isn't our best. Our best may change on any given play right about now.
The defense is better when he is on the field.........WHEN he is on the field.
lamont

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Banks at SI.Com had a 2012 NFL draft redo and I agree with most of his assesments. Check out the people that he shows should not have been drafted in round 1. He has the Titans taking Chandler Jones (surprise) and Kendell Wright going to the Vikings instead of Harrison Smith. Amazing how some of the pre draft favs here in Titania did not pan out in their first year in the league. Keep this in mind for your upcoming mock drafts ladies and gents. Shocked Laughing

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130207/2012-nfl-draft-redo/?sct=uk_t12_a6

Quote:
* First-round picks who did not make the cut this time: No. 11 Dontari Poe, Chiefs, DT; No. 13 Michael Floyd, Cardinals, WR; No. 17 Dre Kirkpatrick, Bengals, CB;No. 18 Melvin Ingram, Chargers, LB; No. 19 Shea McClellin, Bears, DE; No. 22 Brandon Weeden, Browns, QB; No. 23 Riley Reiff, Lions, OT; No. 24 David DeCastro, Steelers, G; No. 26 Whitney Mercilus, Texans, LB; No. 28 Nick Perry, Packers, LB; No. 30 A.J. Jenkins, WR, Illinois.

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
Shout out to NS922 on da sig
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lamont wrote:
Don Banks at SI.Com had a 2012 NFL draft redo and I agree with most of his assesments. Check out the people that he shows should not have been drafted in round 1. He has the Titans taking Chandler Jones (surprise) and Kendell Wright going to the Vikings instead of Harrison Smith. Amazing how some of the pre draft favs here in Titania did not pan out in their first year in the league. Keep this in mind for your upcoming mock drafts ladies and gents. Shocked Laughing

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130207/2012-nfl-draft-redo/?sct=uk_t12_a6

Quote:
* First-round picks who did not make the cut this time: No. 11 Dontari Poe, Chiefs, DT; No. 13 Michael Floyd, Cardinals, WR; No. 17 Dre Kirkpatrick, Bengals, CB;No. 18 Melvin Ingram, Chargers, LB; No. 19 Shea McClellin, Bears, DE; No. 22 Brandon Weeden, Browns, QB; No. 23 Riley Reiff, Lions, OT; No. 24 David DeCastro, Steelers, G; No. 26 Whitney Mercilus, Texans, LB; No. 28 Nick Perry, Packers, LB; No. 30 A.J. Jenkins, WR, Illinois.

Well DeCastro and Perry were both injured and Perry looked good despite playing in the wrong scheme IMO. Poe was a project but still his measurables were off the charts. Never wanted Kirkpatrick because like this year, I didn't feel CB was that high of a need. I don't remember anybody wanting McClellin at 20 and if they did, they were foolish. Didn't like Ingram because he didn't really have a position IMO and I liked Mercilus but I was worried about his only 1 year of production.
TitanSS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:

That's a big assumption. Do you know for sure that Brown is quiet? or Was he just being a rookie and not stepping out of turn?

I don't think it's safe to call McCarthy our best LB. He doesn't have the coverage ability and speed like Brown and he can't rush the passer like Ayers.

Not saying he is the worst, but he isn't our best. Our best may change on any given play right about now.
The defense is better when he is on the field.........WHEN he is on the field.

I would easily say he is the worst of the 3 if Brown doesn't drop off. Brown is amazing in coverage for a linebacker and even Ayers is pretty good for someone who's strength is rushing the passer. McCarthy looks bad in coverage. Just plain bad. He is pretty good in run support and of course the defense is worse when he's not on the field, Tim Shaw and Witherspoon are not starting caliber MLB. But a lot of what he does involves shooting the gaps in the running game for TFL. And this is all great when he makes the tackle or at least forces the running back into one of the defensive lineman, but there were a number of times last year where he shot the gap, missed the tackle and allowed the RB to get positive yards.

I'm not saying McCarthy is terrible or needs to be replaced. I'm fine with him starting next year. I'd say he is average or better. But what I'm saying he is injury prone and cannot defend the pass, so if the next hall of fame MLB were on the board when we picked I would take him. There's not one in this year to my knowledge so it's not a problem.
TitanSS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttitansfan4life wrote:
lamont wrote:

Quote:

Well DeCastro and Perry were both injured and Perry looked good despite playing in the wrong scheme IMO. Poe was a project but still his measurables were off the charts. Never wanted Kirkpatrick because like this year, I didn't feel CB was that high of a need. I don't remember anybody wanting McClellin at 20 and if they did, they were foolish. Didn't like Ingram because he didn't really have a position IMO and I liked Mercilus but I was worried about his only 1 year of production.

Exactly. I wouldn't count out DeCastro or Perry. I am really surprised that Michael Floyd didn't have a big year. I was very high on him last year and was hoping he would fall to us. I did like Kirkpatrick.
KingTitan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lamont wrote:

Quote:

Floyd I liked but was concerend about his character. I liked Mercilus. Was up and down, more up on Ingram and Kirkpatrick. Everyone else on that list I had no interest in....

My mocks tend to stray from what majority of this forum feels. lol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Page 25 of 62

Jump to: