You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Manned Mission to Mars: 2018
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[UMN]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Manned Mission to Mars: 2018 Reply with quote

In 2018, Earth and Mars orbits will align in such a way that you can launch a ship to Mars, and get a free return (don't need any fuel to get back) in just over 500 days. This happens about every 15 years.

The Inspiration Mars foundation was just founded with the goal of sending two people to Mars and back (orbiting, not landing) in 2018. They have also published a feasibility report, and are looking for candidates/volunteers to take the trip.

Would you go?
ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were single I would.
Harper41

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would I want to be in space for a year and a half? Absolutely not. I'd lose my mind.
[quote="Texansfan713"]Go Pelicans![/quote]
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the

hell yes I would go.

Signing up right nowy. how/where
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
[UMN]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

things to consider:

1. You will spend 500 days in a 12'x'12'x18' box with no windows. With another person.

2. You will only be able to eat freeze dried food, and will have limited, recycled water. No showers.

3. There will be limited communication with Earth. A one way communication from Earth to Mars takes about 20 minutes. Only vital commands will be able to issued, and to get a response you will need to wait about 45 minutes each time.

4. You will be exposed to enough radiation where you will not be able to have children, and you will almost assuredly die prematurely from cancer at some point. Nobody knows how that much radiation over that long of a timeframe will affect a person.

5. You will lose enough bone/muscle mass during the trip where the landing back on Earth will severely cripple, if not kill you. You may never be able to walk again and will need to spend months in a hospital once you return.

6. To launch to Mars you will be strapped to the largest rocket ever built, probably one that has only been tested a few times. This is a private mission, not a priority NASA mission with billions of dollars in funding and decades of planning.

7. Due to weight/volume constraints only mission-critical and life support devices will be able to be brought. No entertainment or comforts, only the bare minimum to support human life for 500 days.

8. The next 5 years of your life will need to be dedicated to nothing but training and physically preparing for the mission. You will need to withstand 8+ G-forces on take-off/landing, have absolutely no motion sickness issues, and be able to sleep/work for 500 days in unpleasant conditions.
[UMN]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ServantofYHWH wrote:

they are actually looking for a middle aged couple who has already had kids (since it is probably a one way mission, and if they do come back they will not be able to have kids).
Bohlmann20

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
ServantofYHWH wrote:

they are actually looking for a middle aged couple who has already had kids (since it is probably a one way mission, and if they do come back they will not be able to have kids).
A one way trip? Who would do that?
[UMN]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bohlmann20 wrote:
[UMN] wrote:
ServantofYHWH wrote:

A one way trip? Who would do that?

lots of people.

back when the first missions to the south pole were getting started around 1900(?), they advertised it as a 3-5 year mission in -40 degree weather, they will probably run out of food, and they probably wouldn't make it back. they had tons of volunteers.

being able to go down in history as a pioneer and go somewhere that nobody has been before is a powerful attraction to a lot of people.
NS922

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just orbiting??? Hell, if I'm taking the time to go out there, I'M LANDING ON MARS.
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
things to consider:

4. You will be exposed to enough radiation where you will not be able to have children, and you will almost assuredly die prematurely from cancer at some point. Nobody knows how that much radiation over that long of a timeframe will affect a person.

5. You will lose enough bone/muscle mass during the trip where the landing back on Earth will severely cripple, if not kill you. You may never be able to walk again and will need to spend months in a hospital once you return.

Oh.

Well nvm.

Is it at least paid?
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear

Last edited by NextBigThing on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
ServantofYHWH wrote:

That makes sense for them and all but I don't want to kill my wife by bringing her on a ridiculously dangerous mission to mars with me.
NS922

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
things to consider:

5. You will lose enough bone/muscle mass during the trip where the landing back on Earth will severely cripple, if not kill you. You may never be able to walk again and will need to spend months in a hospital once you return

Oh. Well....damn.
RoxSox2004

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be the first human to travel to another planet. Hell yes I'd do it. Even with those problems.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8+ G's??

Shocked

Everson Griffen: “We can be special. But it’s up to us.”
candyman93

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:

Yeaaahhhhh.....

This is where I pass

Not a fan of this Laughing

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: