Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vikings Mock Off Season After This Past Week

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Gnat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Vikings Mock Off Season After This Past Week Reply with quote

I'm doing another one again, seems like the cool thing to do, this time I'm going to be more detailed with it give more reasoning and breakdown of the various positions and who can stay around and who is as a good as gone.

Rest of the Season

The Vikings should win between 1 and 2 more games. The game against the Rams is winnable just since they don't have that great an offense and Peterson is well A SUPER HUMAN FREAK WHO IS PROBABLY A TIME TRAVELING ANDROID FROM THE FUTURE. Then they have a shot against Texans or Packers late in the year if either of those teams is resting all their starters because the playoffs are set.

Coaching Stuff

The coaching staff stays pretty steady for the most part, I do think that they will just need to make one huge move for show on the coaching staff and I tend to think that will be on the offensive side of the coaching stuff. I'm going to continue with my prediction of Hue Jackson replacing Bill Musgrave as the offensive coordinator.

Positions
Including resignings

QB: Ponder, Webb and MBT. I think that we won't see much shake up here, they aren't going to go and make a big splash as Flacco is the only real option and he is going to be sought after by a number of teams in a better position than we are, and I'm not even sure that the Ravens would let him leave without franchising him for at least a year. They could look to replace MBT, but that would be about it, if there is a rookie they like better. Not a popular opinion, but I think that Frazier and Spielman know that they are tied to Ponder and they are going to go with him sink or swim until next season and put weapons around Ponder in hopes that it works out.

RB: Adrian Peterson, Toby Gerhart, Matt Asiata: Again no real big changes, could look at a different 3rd string runningback, but most likely an UDFA or someone like minor who gets cut or has spent the year on the practice squad.

FB: Jerome Felton: I see the Vikings resigning him. Between him and Rhett Ellison who will primarily still be a TE/HB.

WR: Percy Harvin, Jerome Simpson, Michael Jenkins, Devin Aromashadou, Stephen Burton, Jarious Wright, Greg Childs: This is the biggest mess of any position, so there are going to be whole sale changes made. Harvin will be resigned to a longer contract, and Simpson will be resigned to a one year deal with little to no guaranteed money. He and Childs will battle it out for the 5th/6th WR position. Wright is the only other WR kept, this is a position that will be hit hard in the off season because frankly there isn't a worse WR corp when Harvin is out in the NFL, and that is by a long ways.

TE: Kyle Rudolph, Rhett Ellison, John Carlson: Rudolph and Ellison are here to stay. I think that the Vikings cut Carlson at the end of the season, he isn't worth the money even though it isn't all that much money for the years after this one. I could see the Vikings then trying to resign him cheap, but him going elsewhere.

OT: Matt Kalil, Phil Loadholt, DeMarcus Love, Charlie Johnson: The Vikings resign Loadholt, he has been more than serviceable at RT this year, so they are fairly set at the OT positions. Johnson is restructured and brought in cheap as a back-up along most of the offensive line. And Love actually gets to battle for OG time as well as OT time.

OG: Charlie Johnson, Brandon Fusco, Geoff Schwartz, DeMarcus Love, Joe Berger, Mark Asper: Berger is get go as Fusco makes him redundant as he was a center in college and provides more upside and isn't worse than Berger. Love and Schwartz get a shot to take over the starting guard positions, but OG is something I see being addressed. Asper is let go as well.

C: John Sullivan, Brandon Fusco, Joe Berger: Sullivan is a very good starting NFL center, and the Vikings are very comfortable with him going forward.

DE: Jared Allen, Brian Robison, Everson Griffen, DeAundre Reed: The Vikings are fairly well set at DE, the only pressing thing is to extend Jared Allen, which I think that the Vikings will do this off season, increase the guaranteed money that he'll get, but it will end up lowering the cap number for next season on Allen.

DT: Kevin Williams, Fred Evans, LeTroy Guion, Christian Ballard: The Vikings have to take a long hard look at this position, I think that they resign Kevin Williams for a couple of years, probably a three year deal so he can play out his career as a Viking and slowly replace him with Christian Ballard who hasn't been too bad as time has gone on. Evans is kept around as NT depth, but Guion is let go.

LB: Chad Greenway, Jasper Brinkely, Erin Henderson, Larry Dean, Tyrone McKenzie, Audie Cole, Marvin Mitchell: Whole sale changes at LB like at WR, Dean is kept around along with Tyrone McKenzie, otherwise, beyond Greenway who stays and Cole who is kept around for potential camp reps and cutting, Brinkely, Henderson and Mitchell are all let to leave.

CB: Chris Cook, Josh Robinson, AJ Jefferson, Antoine Winfield, Marcus Sherels, Brandon Burton: Only one CB changes this year, and that is Brandon Burton being allowed to leave, AJ Jefferson is resigned and he'll take over as the nickle CB slowly from Winfield who is kept around just for his experience and knowledge and what the young CB's can learn from him.

S: Harrison Smith, Mistral Raymond, Jamarca Sanford, Robert Blanton, Andrew Sendejo: The Vikings keep the group together for the most part, Blanton will be pushed by UDFA and cheap pick-ups and Sendejo will be replaced, but otherwise Sanford is resigned, and Smith and Raymond look to be the starters for the time being.

LS: Cullen Loeffler: He stays, he's solid.

K: Blair Walsh: He stays, he's very good and should hopefully be elite soon.

P: Chris Kluwe: He's been off this year, so I think an UDFA will be brought in to push him.

Free Agency

Danario Alexander, WR, San Diego: He has put up good numbers recently this year, but I'm not seeing the Chargers resigning him as I think the Chargers work on a two year rebuilding plan. At age 24 he makes a lot of sense for the Vikings to bring in and at 6'4" he's a big WR who can play outside.

Isaac Sopoaga, DT, San Fransisco: A little bit older, but he is a huge NT, who will immediately help the Vikings run defense and take pressure off of what is going to be a group of young starting LB's next year.

Ryan Mundy, S, Pittsburgh Steelers: Safety depth, he is someone who can back up either position and has some starting experience with Troy Polamalu's injuries.

Tavares Gooden, LB, San Fransisco: He has previous starting experience for the Ravens and he can start if need be. Mainly he provides veteran depth at the LB position.

Those are the three major free agent signings, everything else comes in threw the draft or is a minor depth pick-up that could make the team as a 3rd or worse stringer.

Draft
The Vikings end up with pick 12.

1st: Chance Warmack - OG, Alabama: He comes in to immediately fight for the LG position, Keenan Allen and Alec Ogletree are another two options that the Vikings consider, but Warmack is just too good and fills too big a need that wasn't addressed in free agency.

2nd: Kevin Minter - ILB, LSU: He is someone who can be an every down LB to go along with Chad Greenway. Minter comes too from a school that has consistently has a good defense and he is someone who can just step in and play right away.

Trade - The Vikings package their third and the Lions 4th to move up into the end part of round two.

2nd: Cordarrelle Patterson - WR, Tennessee: He is a raw WR, but he's big and he's fast and he'll open up the passing game for the Vikings, after passing on WR's with their first pick they move back up so that they can get one of the top ones who can make an immediate impact.

4th: James Morris - LB, Iowa: He can play inside or outside and would compete with Gooden for a starting LB position. He would be the two down LB for the Vikings, and while he isn't a huge play maker he is a very consistent LB throughout his college experience.

5th: Quinton Patton - WR, Louisiana Tech: He's a bigger WR, unpolished again and someone who is going to have to learn on the job, but with gutting the WR's the Vikings need to draft several in order to find a combo that they can put on the field.

6th: Mike Taylor - LB, Wisconsin: More LB depth, there were a few positions that were gutted and they need to be restocked, again another solid LB who isn't probably going to be a starter in the NFL, but is smart depth.

6th: Jarred Holley - S, Pittsburgh: Special teams depth in all honesty.

UDFA:
Ohrian Johnson, S, Ohio State
Tress Way, P, Oklahoma
Chris Thompson, RB, Florida State
Jeff Tuel, QB, Washington State
Chase Clement, TE, LSU
Ciante Evans, CB, Nebraska
Aaron Tipoti, DT, California

Depth Chart (At Start of Season)
Starters underlined

Offense
QB: Christian Ponder, Joe Webb, McCleod Bethel-Thompson
RB: Adrian Peterson, Toby Gerhart, Chris Thompson
FB: Jerome Felton
WR: Danario Alexander, Percy Harvin, Cordarrelle Patterson, Jarious Wright, Quinton Patton, Greg Childs
TE: Kyle Rudolph, Rhett Ellison, Chase Clement
LT: Matt Kalil, Charlie Johnson, DeMarcus Love
LG: Chance Warmack, Charlie Johnson, DeMarcus Love
C: John Sullivan, Brandon Fusco
RG: Geoff Schwartz, Brandon Fusco, DeMarcus Love
RT: Phil Loadholt, DeMarcus Love, Charlie Johnson

Defense
LDE: Brian Robison, DeAundre Reed
UT: Kevin Williams, Christian Ballard, Aaron Tipoti
NT: Isaac Sopoaga, Fred Evans
RDE: Jared Allen, Everson Griffen
OLB: Chad Greenway, Tavares Gooden, James Morris, Mike Taylor
ILB: Kevin Minter, James Morris, Audie Cole
CB: Chris Cook, Josh Robinson, AJ Jefferson, Antoine Winfield, Marcus Sherels, Ciante Evans
S: Harrison Smith, Mistral Raymond, Jamarca Sanford, Robert Blanton, Ryan Mundy, Jared Holley

K: Blair Walsh
P: Chris Kluwe
LS: Cullen Loeffler

Zephiel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a proponent of a total overhaul at the WR position, I like this mock. I'm not a HUGE fan of Danario Alexander -- he has serious injury concerns, but he is a playmaker so he'd be worth a shot, just not with a huge contract.

Also I don't think guard is a first round need but in this situation it's worth it.

So I like the mock.
DJpillz317

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, but don't think Patton will be there in the 5th

Prediction: Derek Carr = next Brandon Weeden; Zach Mett will be a good starter; Manziel will be a STAR.
Blake Bortles is going to be a Viking
joru1000

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Hunter in the 1st, Tyler Bray in the 2nd.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could very well be looking at a Top 10 pick in the draft. Unless the guy is a lock to be the next Randall McDaniel, I don't see how we can justify taking a guard with that high of a pick. We could probably trade down a ways and still get him.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Buck wrote:
We could very well be looking at a Top 10 pick in the draft. Unless the guy is a lock to be the next Randall McDaniel, I don't see how we can justify taking a guard with that high of a pick. We could probably trade down a ways and still get him.

Getting a future 1st in a trade down would be a great insurance policy on the QB position next year.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
Uncle Buck wrote:

Getting a future 1st in a trade down would be a great insurance policy on the QB position next year.

Agreed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: