Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 13 Cowboys/Eagles PostGame Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Killer Smile talking about making plays!

http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2012/12/josh-brent-says-hes-making-a-name-for-the-cowboys-defense-not-necessarily-himself.html

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
I just don't get the Garrett hate.

I really don't either. Yes he has his flaws, but getting rid of him is simply a bad idea. Needs to get an OC. Beyond that, he'll get there.

A great many people lack patience and the ability to see things through in today's society.

And how much time does he need, exactly? This is the same garbage as when he was the OC and the defacto head coach since Wade never bothered to handle the job. It's been 5 or 6 seasons of this crap. Can't we just agree that Garrett is not suited to be a head coach? The guy doesn't understand the basic fundamentals of the job. You know, like managing the clock, developing a proper game plan, preparing his team, etc. Weekly/Season long/Multiple Season Running miscues like that are unacceptable and inexcusable.

I can't argue against this and I doubt anyone else can either, I'm just sick of the coaching carousel as I'm plenty confident no team can change coach every 3rd year and expect to gain ground.

This is more or less my view. I don't like Redball as an OC. I also don't like a merry-go-round we have had since Jimmy. I think Redball can be a nice coach for us, if we remove stuff from his plate. Just like I think Jerry can be a hell of an owner - if we remove the GM duties.

But I also think people expect way too much too soon too often.

In Redball I Trust!
DalCowboyzRule

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome game to be at, highly entertaining and while I hate our defense they made a huge play in the 4th picking up that fumble and going to other way for 6.

Great job today Romo, Murray, Dez, Witten, Mo and even D-Ware (don't just look at the stats, he was back there all night just a sec away)

#JDI
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game was a blast to be at. A few observations...

1. The cowboys got promo videos from Emmitt and Irvin where they ask the crowd to get loud. Then, every 3rd down, the jumbotron encourages fans to get loud. It works. My only criticism is that it's still pretty quiet on first and second down. Baby steps, I guess (although late in the forth quarter they actually put up on the jumbotron "crucial drive" and the crowd was loud every down).

2. The jumbotron may actually be too big. I had really good seats. I was on the 5 yard line and 12 rows up. The forth quarter was great because all of the action was on my side of the field. That being said, I literally I had to fight the temptation to watch the jumbo screen even though all of the action was right in front of me.

3. Plan9, I admit that we bought some nachos and 2 drinks. In that sense, I guess I did contribute to Jerry (I even parked in non cowboys owned parking). However, they handed out Cowboys window flags to all the fans after the game. I got 2 of then for free. I fully intend on selling them on EBay to recoup the $20 bucks I spent at the stadium.

4. This team is the strangest team. They keep fighting, I'll give them that. But, they play to the competition every week. Brown was absolutely dominating us. Foles looked like a quality NFL QB. But, once the OL protected Romo, Philly had no answers.

Slam sig bet participants:

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Game was a blast to be at. A few observations...

1. The cowboys got promo videos from Emmitt and Irvin where they ask the crowd to get loud. Then, every 3rd down, the jumbotron encourages fans to get loud. It works. My only criticism is that it's still pretty quiet on first and second down. Baby steps, I guess (although late in the forth quarter they actually put up on the jumbotron "crucial drive" and the crowd was loud every down).

2. The jumbotron may actually be too big. I had really good seats. I was on the 5 yard line and 12 rows up. The forth quarter was great because all of the action was on my side of the field. That being said, I literally I had to fight the temptation to watch the jumbo screen even though all of the action was right in front of me.

3. Plan9, I admit that we bought some nachos and 2 drinks. In that sense, I guess I did contribute to Jerry (I even parked in non cowboys owned parking). However, they handed out Cowboys window flags to all the fans after the game. I got 2 of then for free. I fully intend on selling them on EBay to recoup the $20 bucks I spent at the stadium.

4. This team is the strangest team. They keep fighting, I'll give them that. But, they play to the competition every week. Brown was absolutely dominating us. Foles looked like a quality NFL QB. But, once the OL protected Romo, Philly had no answers.

1. At one point I heard the crowd on the TV and Foles had to call a T.O. I was shocked/pleased. So agreed. Baby Steps.

2. Yeah, when I attended the game a good portion of it was watching it on the Jumbo Screen.

3. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

4. I think that's the thing that I see the most out of this team. We are fighters. We have yet to score 10 points in the first. And far too many times this season we have been behind at the half. But we make enough adjustments to stay in the game until the end. The other side of the coin is we rarely eliminate a team outright.

In Redball I Trust!
matt79511

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it's not really an excuse for playing poorly last night (and certainly not for playing poorly against Washington), apparently Carr was really broken up over the Kansas City tragedy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I see all of thia boiling down to. You have 2 different possibilities for a successful offseason:

1. Go all out on the O line and D line via draft and FA.

a. Draft O line and D line in the 1st 3 rounds. Also scour FA for a quality quality C or NT.

If Jerry could sign a CB for 50 million and then throw his 1st and 2nd round picks on ANOTHER Cb after he dradted a CB in the 1st round only 3 years ago, then he could do the same for his O line and D line.

b. Try to move some of the dead weight and get something, anything we can use for them. I don't care if it is a 6th or 7th round pick. Dead weight being: Jay Ratliff, Marcus Spears, D. Free, M. Jenkins, F. Jones.

c. If we cannot move D. Free, try moving him inside at G and draft or pick up vis FA an OT. Just a thought.

d. Keep J.G. And here is why: If we got yet another H.C. and kept Romo, then there is an entire new system he has to learn and adapt to. So does Witten and the O line and the rest of the team. That will take at least another year. The solution is to get an O.C. that can work a similar, but effective game plan to J.G.'s.

2. Blow the whole thing up and build around our youth.

a. You have to realize that the age difference between players like Witten, Romo, Ware, Spears, Ratliff, Austin, and players like Lee, Carter, Smith, Claiborne, Murray, Bryant is at least 5-7 years of NFL expereince. This team is still nothing more than an 8-8 team.

b. So the question is: how long do we give the older players until they show they can contend for a championship with the youth we drafted?
Realistically, if it is not in the next 1 or 2 years at the absolute latest, any of the older players mentioned will be starting the backside of their careers. The youth should be flourishing but then all of the problems we are solving now with the ILB, CB, and hopefully O and D lines this offseason, will become problems with TE, QB, DE, etc. And the whole cycle will start over again.

c. If we blow it up we could get some significant trade value for some of the older players. But we couldn't and shouldn't do this unless Jerry has a H.C. in mind that knows exactly how he would build his team from the ground up ala Jimmy Jonson, The Colts of today, Bill Belicheck.[/list]
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:

You are a good man, Slam. Clearly one of high morals and character; one of the finest representatives of the DCRA.

For funny reading, try this article. It's from a Philly beat writer on last night's game.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20121203_Marcus_Hayes__COWBOYS_ARE_JUST_A-PATHETIC.html

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
PincheJimmy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:

You are a good man, Slam. Clearly one of high morals and character; one of the finest representatives of the DCRA.

For funny reading, try this article. It's from a Philly beat writer on last night's game.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20121203_Marcus_Hayes__COWBOYS_ARE_JUST_A-PATHETIC.html

I bet if records were reversed and Philly won, he would be writing how the Eagles can still win the East and how the New QB and RB will lead the way!! Whatever it takes to sell papers
PincheJimmy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rtnldave wrote:
Here's what I see all of thia boiling down to. You have 2 different possibilities for a successful offseason:

a. Draft O line and D line in the 1st 3 rounds. Also scour FA for a quality quality C or NT.

If Jerry could sign a CB for 50 million and then throw his 1st and 2nd round picks on ANOTHER Cb after he dradted a CB in the 1st round only 3 years ago, then he could do the same for his O line and D line.

b. Try to move some of the dead weight and get something, anything we can use for them. I don't care if it is a 6th or 7th round pick. Dead weight being: Jay Ratliff, Marcus Spears, D. Free, M. Jenkins, F. Jones.

c. If we cannot move D. Free, try moving him inside at G and draft or pick up vis FA an OT. Just a thought.

d. Keep J.G. And here is why: If we got yet another H.C. and kept Romo, then there is an entire new system he has to learn and adapt to. So does Witten and the O line and the rest of the team. That will take at least another year. The solution is to get an O.C. that can work a similar, but effective game plan to J.G.'s.

a. You have to realize that the age difference between players like Witten, Romo, Ware, Spears, Ratliff, Austin, and players like Lee, Carter, Smith, Claiborne, Murray, Bryant is at least 5-7 years of NFL expereince. This team is still nothing more than an 8-8 team.

b. So the question is: how long do we give the older players until they show they can contend for a championship with the youth we drafted?
Realistically, if it is not in the next 1 or 2 years at the absolute latest, any of the older players mentioned will be starting the backside of their careers. The youth should be flourishing but then all of the problems we are solving now with the ILB, CB, and hopefully O and D lines this offseason, will become problems with TE, QB, DE, etc. And the whole cycle will start over again.

c. If we blow it up we could get some significant trade value for some of the older players. But we couldn't and shouldn't do this unless Jerry has a H.C. in mind that knows exactly how he would build his team from the ground up ala Jimmy Jonson, The Colts of today, Bill Belicheck.[/list]

when is the last time an NFL team " blew the whole thing up" and started over???
bootsy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PincheJimmy wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:

when is the last time an NFL team " blew the whole thing up" and started over???

The Colts last year. They didn't get rid of everybody but they came darn close.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bootsy wrote:

LOLwut?

They got a new HC and QB... They kept the bulk of everyone else. We had more turnover Redballs first year than the Colts this offseason.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
bootsy wrote:

LOLwut?

They got a new HC and QB... They kept the bulk of everyone else. We had more turnover Redballs first year than the Colts this offseason.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/transactions/_/name/ind/indianapolis-colts

Me thinks you need to look at this, especially Feb and Mar where they did indeed blow the team up and hired an entirely NEW coaching staff and released like 5 veteran corner stones of the past years including Payton Manning, Joseph Addai, Gary Brackett and Dallas Clark, just to name a few. They also signed multiple FA's. They are starting like 7 rookies this year at key positions like WR, QB, TE and S.

I watched them against Detroit yesterday. I really thought Detroit was a stronger team. They remind me a lot of the Cowboys this year. A lot of potential but can't put it together.

The Colts on the other hand are doing some amazing things to some good and a lot of mediocre teams this year. All with a new coaching staff, QB and a host of other players.

I don't know what you think "blowing up" a team means, but what the Colts did this year and what Jimmy Johnson did inthe 90's is exactly what I have in mind.

Last edited by Rtnldave on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
bootsy wrote:

LOLwut?

They purged the entire FO essentially

As for players, they lost Jeff Saturday, Dwight Clark, Joseph Addai, Melvin Bullit, Pierre Garcon, Gary Brackett, Jacob Lacey, Mike Pollack, Ryan Diem, Jacob Tamme, and Phillip Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm. guess i am wrong. I just looked it up and there was more turn over than I thought. Some of it was just natural progression (Addai to Brown). But it looks like there are another ~6-7 starters than changed as well. I guess the fact that Wayne/Freeny/Mathis stayed influenced my thought process.

I still contend that we did a similiar purge (minus the GM, obviously).

Redballs first year changes (Before - After):

Romo - Romo
Barber - Jones
Austin - Austin
Williams - Bryant
Witten - Witten
Free - Free
Kosier - Kosier
Gurode - Costa
Davis - Nagy/Holland
Colombo - Smith

Spears - Coleman

Ratliff - Ratliff
Olgoshansky - Hatcher
Spencer - Spencer
James - James
Brooking - Lee
Ware - Ware
Newman - Newman
Jenkins - Jenkins
Ball - Elam
Sensabaugh - Sensabaugh

So that it 9 starters changed in year 1...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: