Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Young Players Who Should Get More Playing Time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WillParks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Young Players Who Should Get More Playing Time Reply with quote

We are all but out of the playoff picture at this point. I know the coaching staff wants to win games but at some point we have to start giving some younger players some snaps to get them some game experience and added development. Here are some players that I think should be getting more snaps:

Jonte Green: His play steadily improved while Drayton Florence was out. Jocoby Lacey was singled out by opposing QBs more often than he was. His physical skills are tremendous. He seemed to start learning how to get his head around and improve his overall awareness.

Tahir Whitehead/Travis Lewis: We have gotten solid play from our LBs but I suspect we will lose at least one of them in free agency. We need to find out if either one or both of these guys is more than a back-up/special-teamer. Just like Jonte Green, Whitehead has tremendous physical skills. He has been pretty solid on special teams.

Rodney Austin: He is currently on the practice squad but got some good buzz from the coaching staff in training camp. Peterman isn't exactly lighting things up. The interior of our o-line needs work in the off-season and it would be nice if we could find a replacement for Peterman or Gandy with some young talent that is already on our roster instead of free agency or the 2013 draft.

Jason Fox: He has finally managed to stay healthy but is he anything more than just a competent back-up? We need to find out. Besides, Cherilous has been solid in pass protection but pretty average in run-blocking.

Ronnel Lewis: Did the Lions just bring him in to be a back-up/special teams player? Jackson and Young haven't exactly been tearing it up as back-ups this year. I think he should get a look in the last three to four games this year if for no other reason than to try to light a fire under Young and Jackson.

Thoughts?
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, but it would look bad on the team if we did play more young guys instead of trying to win.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see Whitehead/T Lewis/R Lewis play more because with how things stand now between guys set to be free agents and the available cap room we have, those guys could be leaned on to have a pretty big role next season.

That being said in the *unlikely* event we win out we still have a slim shot at the playoffs. Heck Seattle would be in the playoffs if the season ended today with a 6-5 record.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the play by GS... he has not been great, but he is not getting beat on a consistent basis, everyone in the league will get beat at one point, but him at RT is not bad.
WillParks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is "GS"? Are you talking about Gosder Cherilous? He is good in pass protection but his run-blocking is nothing to write home about. In fact you could say that about Cherilous, Peterman and Raiola.
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillParks wrote:
Who is "GS"? Are you talking about Gosder Cherilous? He is good in pass protection but his run-blocking is nothing to write home about. In fact you could say that about Cherilous, Peterman and Raiola.

I wouldn't say Peterman is good at anything except holding.

Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: