Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bengals-Cowboys: Dalton is from Texas too
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theJ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluhartz wrote:
BTW...I am a pretty good couch ref...and totally unbiased.. Very Happy

Haha, that gave me a chuckle.

Sorry if i came off a little harsh there. You struck a nerve with the ref thing. My other nerve is talking draft prospects during a playoff run or in week 3. Just ask the guys around here. Laughing

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
fluhartz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
fluhartz wrote:
BTW...I am a pretty good couch ref...and totally unbiased.. Very Happy

Haha, that gave me a chuckle.

Sorry if i came off a little harsh there. You struck a nerve with the ref thing. My other nerve is talking draft prospects during a playoff run or in week 3. Just ask the guys around here. Laughing

good.

and no biggie.

BTW, I am not the person who said bring back the replacement refs. That call against Reggie just struck a nerve with me. I am so tired of calls like that, against us or for us...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johndeere1707 wrote:
I think the thing I'm dissapointed with most is my crappy GDT winning streak is over. Better let J put time and effort into them now

Let's not do anything drastic now...
Beck Bristow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J rarely puts effort into anything. Shame we can't have a good mod around here.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the one who started the refs crap. I am not blaming the refs. The loss was squarely on the team's inability to put them away. The point about the calls going to Dallas was more of an indictment of how the team should know that this happens week in and week out, yet did not put themselves in a better position to keep crappy calls like that from affecting the outcome. This ref issue is nothing new. Ask any small market team fan about it.

The bottom line is that the team should know it too, and not try to just milk clock and hold on. Blow a feew teams out and the bad calls can't beat you.
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I do not buy into the idea that these guys are the best in the world at what they do. It takes years to work your way up the officiating ranks. Those years take a toll on your body. So, in essence, you have 50+ year olds trying to run with professional athletes in their prime, while trying to see the whole field around you. Nothing makes me chuckle as much as a ref in glasses, btw.
Carson4MVP

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
I'm the one who started the refs crap. I am not blaming the refs. The loss was squarely on the team's inability to put them away. The point about the calls going to Dallas was more of an indictment of how the team should know that this happens week in and week out, yet did not put themselves in a better position to keep crappy calls like that from affecting the outcome. This ref issue is nothing new. Ask any small market team fan about it.

The bottom line is that the team should know it too, and not try to just milk clock and hold on. Blow a feew teams out and the bad calls can't beat you.

But we didn't try to milk the clock. Had we ran the ball even a few times on our last 2 drives we could have milked a whole other 2 minutes off of the clock. The last 2 drives we had exactly 0 running plays, despite running for 150 yards the first 3.5 quarters. Made no sense to me when I watched it and it still doesn't make sense to me now. They had a 3rd or 4th string DT, no MLB to speak of and were on their 2nd or 3rd S's. We could have ran the ball right up the gut and averaged 4 yards a carry easily.

We lost because of our inability to milk the clock, not because we tried to.
fluhartz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carson4MVP wrote:
INbengalfan wrote:

But we didn't try to milk the clock. Had we ran the ball even a few times on our last 2 drives we could have milked a whole other 2 minutes off of the clock. The last 2 drives we had exactly 0 running plays, despite running for 150 yards the first 3.5 quarters. Made no sense to me when I watched it and it still doesn't make sense to me now. They had a 3rd or 4th string DT, no MLB to speak of and were on their 2nd or 3rd S's. We could have ran the ball right up the gut and averaged 4 yards a carry easily.

We lost because of our inability to milk the clock, not because we tried to.

agreed...
it was a marvtacular loss

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did try to milk the clock with short passes. None of those throws on the last drive were more than 6 to 7 yards. And since the clock still had more than 5 minutes, even incomplete passes have a clock running after they reset everything.
theJ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
We did try to milk the clock with short passes. None of those throws on the last drive were more than 6 to 7 yards. And since the clock still had more than 5 minutes, even incomplete passes have a clock running after they reset everything.

My brain may be foggy right now, but what? Confused

INbengalfan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
INbengalfan wrote:

The clock starts running after the ball is replaced until less than five minutes remain in a half. Started that two years ago to shorten games.
theJ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
theJ wrote:
INbengalfan wrote:

The clock starts running after the ball is replaced until less than five minutes remain in a half. Started that two years ago to shorten games.

I'm pretty sure that's only on plays that go out of bounds, not incomplete passes. On those, the clock is still nuked.

Can i get a third party here? Am i going bat-$%# crazy?

fluhartz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
INbengalfan wrote:
theJ wrote:
INbengalfan wrote:

I'm pretty sure that's only on plays that go out of bounds, not incomplete passes. On those, the clock is still nuked.

Digest of Rules Main
Timing
The stadium game clock is official. In case it stops or is operating incorrectly, the Line Judge takes over the official timing on the field.
Each period is 15 minutes. The intermission between the periods is two minutes. Halftime is 12 minutes, unless otherwise specified.
On charged team time outs, the Field Judge starts watch and blows whistle after 1 minute 50 seconds, unless television does not utilize the time for commercial. In this case the length of the time out is reduced to 40 seconds.
The Referee will allow necessary time to attend to an injured player, or repair a legal player’s equipment.
Each team is allowed three time outs each half.
Time between plays will be 40 seconds from the end of a given play until the snap of the ball for the next play, or a 25-second interval after certain administrative stoppages and game delays.
Clock will start running when ball is snapped following all changes of team possession.
With the exception of the last two minutes of the first half and the last five minutes of the second half, the game clock will be restarted following a kickoff return, a player going out of bounds on a play from scrimmage, or after declined penalties when appropriate on the referee’s signal.
Consecutive team time outs can be taken by opposing teams but the length of the second time out will be reduced to 40 seconds.
When, in the judgment of the Referee, the level of crowd noise prevents the offense from hearing its signals, he can institute a series of procedures which can result in a loss of team time outs or a five-yard penalty against the defensive team.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/timing

not on an incomplete pass...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
INbengalfan wrote:
theJ wrote:
INbengalfan wrote:

Probably me going crazy. But everytime I look up, it seems like the clock is moving. I was thinking the same thing on out of bounds vs. incomplete passes, but someone pointed out the other day that the clock was moving on an incomplete pass (the third pass on our last drive, which followed two straight short completions for a first down... I was confused at that point). maybe just a screw up by the clock guy.

Edit: Definitely me going crazy. They went back and reset the clock, the more i think about it.

Last edited by INbengalfan on Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluhartz wrote:

BTW, I am not the person who said bring back the replacement refs. That call against Reggie just struck a nerve with me. I am so tired of calls like that, against us or for us...

I suggested we bring back the replacement refs; I don't know how the numbers stack, just seems to me that we got fewer crap calls against us under the replacements.

Green Bay fans will likely have a different view.

I think we all agree that the current crew of NFL zebras call lots of 'ticky-tacky' calls, whereas the replacements seemed to let more calls go.

What I tend to think is that some of those calls; (like the one on Nelson); are so huge in the game; (3rd & 20 was it ?); that they ought to be challengeable. (Assuming of course that Marvin hasn't blown all his challenges already).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: