Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Game balls & goats- battle by the bay
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
nugpimpen


Joined: 18 Feb 2006
Posts: 19664
Location: 10 Miles South of Cleveland
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
horrible 3 down play calling.


But for that 3rd and a mile, every failed 3rd down conversion had routes run beyond the marker and Weeden never threw to them.


I'm gonna say the big reason for that is that people weren't open, but i'm sure there is an occasion where it's on Weeden.


I'm not even blaming the situations where it's 3rd and 8 and we throw for 6, it seems like a lot of that is receivers running short of the sticks, which is maddening.
_________________


IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MalcolmBrown


Joined: 26 Jul 2011
Posts: 621
Location: 2013 Adopt a Brownie: Leon McFadden: 1 solo tackle, 1 assist
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This game ball is a little less obvious than others, but I think it is deserved:


Pat Shurmur


The team only had 2 penalties (25 yards). The Raiders had 10 (65 yards), a number we're not unfamiliar with this season. You want to see where the discipline is coming down from the HC? That's huge for this young team, especially on the road.
_________________
"You mean...this ain't Malcolm Browns car...? ...Damn...my bad..."

Reppin in Athens, Ohio AKA South Cleveland
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nugpimpen


Joined: 18 Feb 2006
Posts: 19664
Location: 10 Miles South of Cleveland
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalcolmBrown wrote:
This game ball is a little less obvious than others, but I think it is deserved:


Pat Shurmur


The team only had 2 penalties (25 yards). The Raiders had 10 (65 yards), a number we're not unfamiliar with this season. You want to see where the discipline is coming down from the HC? That's huge for this young team, especially on the road.



Penalties were a huge improvement. Props to Shurmur for that.

Also Props because we are still playing VERY HARD for a team that has been out of the race for weeks.

Now

Was anyone else flipping out on that 4th and 1??? When we did the QB Sneak on 3rd and 1. First off, I thought we got there. 2nd off, if Pat was going to call the timeout there to decide what to do, why not challenge the spot??? Worst case, you lose and spend the timeout anyway!

Am I off base on this???


Just peeved me a bit.


Also, not necessarily all on Pat, but the MoMass big play, we couldn't even get the next play off and had to use a TO. That stuff makes me so mad
_________________


IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Estonianzulu


Moderator
Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 25347
Location: Middle of Nowhere VA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:

2nd off, if Pat was going to call the timeout there to decide what to do, why not challenge the spot??? Worst case, you lose and spend the timeout anyway!


If the refs ruled that the play was forward progress, it could not be reviewed unless I am mistaken
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nugpimpen


Joined: 18 Feb 2006
Posts: 19664
Location: 10 Miles South of Cleveland
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:

2nd off, if Pat was going to call the timeout there to decide what to do, why not challenge the spot??? Worst case, you lose and spend the timeout anyway!


If the refs ruled that the play was forward progress, it could not be reviewed unless I am mistaken


How the hell does that work. We needed 1 yard. He got 1 yard and was pushed back and then given the worst possible spot.

If that is real, it's beyond stupid.

You should be able to review the tape and see that Weeden got to the sticks.

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh


Note: If that's true, I would apologize to Pat
_________________


IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ReggieCamp


Joined: 06 Dec 2006
Posts: 9349
Location: Canonsburg, PA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:

2nd off, if Pat was going to call the timeout there to decide what to do, why not challenge the spot??? Worst case, you lose and spend the timeout anyway!


If the refs ruled that the play was forward progress, it could not be reviewed unless I am mistaken

I hope so. Otherwise, that was a pretty big mistake by Shurmur.

But more importantly, I loved the way the O-line fired off the ball on the next play. They pushed the whole Raider front 7 about 3 yards deep. Great play.
_________________
Suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.

Adopt-a-Brown: Desmond Bryant
2013 Stats (10 games): 24 Tkls, 3.5 Sacks, 2 Stuffs, 1 PD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nugpimpen


Joined: 18 Feb 2006
Posts: 19664
Location: 10 Miles South of Cleveland
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReggieCamp wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:

2nd off, if Pat was going to call the timeout there to decide what to do, why not challenge the spot??? Worst case, you lose and spend the timeout anyway!


If the refs ruled that the play was forward progress, it could not be reviewed unless I am mistaken

I hope so. Otherwise, that was a pretty big mistake by Shurmur.

But more importantly, I loved the way the O-line fired off the ball on the next play. They pushed the whole Raider front 7 about 3 yards deep. Great play.



Agree on both points
_________________


IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nugpimpen


Joined: 18 Feb 2006
Posts: 19664
Location: 10 Miles South of Cleveland
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No mention of our Dline getting no pressure yesterday.

I think that was one of their worst games in ahwhile.

We really need another pass rusher.
_________________


IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Entropy


Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Posts: 2736
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
No mention of our Dline getting no pressure yesterday.

I think that was one of their worst games in ahwhile.

We really need another pass rusher.


Good point.

The Raiders ran about 35 plays out of shotgun. That usually means it will be a quick pass and pressure will tend to need to come from a blitzer.

My guess is that it was their adjustment to our Dline's performance in the last game. I didn't look at how often they usually run out of shotgun.

But it seems like they wanted to take our Dline out of the game for the most part, and attack our secondary. I also think they had much of the success they did primarily because of Gipson's inexperience.

For that game, a pass rusher wouldn't have been as valuable as a better safety, imo.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DawgSoldier


Joined: 30 Oct 2007
Posts: 5947
Location: Medina OH
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
No mention of our Dline getting no pressure yesterday.

I think that was one of their worst games in ahwhile.

We really need another pass rusher.


Good point.

The Raiders ran about 35 plays out of shotgun. That usually means it will be a quick pass and pressure will tend to need to come from a blitzer.

My guess is that it was their adjustment to our Dline's performance in the last game. I didn't look at how often they usually run out of shotgun.

But it seems like they wanted to take our Dline out of the game for the most part, and attack our secondary. I also think they had much of the success they did primarily because of Gipson's inexperience.

For that game, a pass rusher wouldn't have been as valuable as a better safety, imo.


This I gotta hear. A nasty RDE putting Palmer on his tail, hurrying the throws, changing the launch point and repeatedly knocking him down. Is a good as a FS....Okay Confused
_________________
The Dawgpounds new three headed monster!

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
nugpimpen


Joined: 18 Feb 2006
Posts: 19664
Location: 10 Miles South of Cleveland
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgSoldier wrote:
Entropy wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
No mention of our Dline getting no pressure yesterday.

I think that was one of their worst games in ahwhile.

We really need another pass rusher.


Good point.

The Raiders ran about 35 plays out of shotgun. That usually means it will be a quick pass and pressure will tend to need to come from a blitzer.

My guess is that it was their adjustment to our Dline's performance in the last game. I didn't look at how often they usually run out of shotgun.

But it seems like they wanted to take our Dline out of the game for the most part, and attack our secondary. I also think they had much of the success they did primarily because of Gipson's inexperience.

For that game, a pass rusher wouldn't have been as valuable as a better safety, imo.


This I gotta hear. A nasty RDE putting Palmer on his tail, hurrying the throws, changing the launch point and repeatedly knocking him down. Is a good as a FS....Okay Confused



He means because they were going for the shotgun and quick pass.

Unless someone busts through there VERY QUICKLY, we would not have pressured him. I get what he means.

There were some plays where he couldn't get it out quickly and a Beast RDE would have gotten a few sacks for sure.
_________________


IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Entropy


Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Posts: 2736
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
Entropy wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
No mention of our Dline getting no pressure yesterday.

I think that was one of their worst games in ahwhile.

We really need another pass rusher.


Good point.

The Raiders ran about 35 plays out of shotgun. That usually means it will be a quick pass and pressure will tend to need to come from a blitzer.

My guess is that it was their adjustment to our Dline's performance in the last game. I didn't look at how often they usually run out of shotgun.

But it seems like they wanted to take our Dline out of the game for the most part, and attack our secondary. I also think they had much of the success they did primarily because of Gipson's inexperience.

For that game, a pass rusher wouldn't have been as valuable as a better safety, imo.


This I gotta hear. A nasty RDE putting Palmer on his tail, hurrying the throws, changing the launch point and repeatedly knocking him down. Is a good as a FS....Okay Confused



He means because they were going for the shotgun and quick pass.

Unless someone busts through there VERY QUICKLY, we would not have pressured him. I get what he means.

There were some plays where he couldn't get it out quickly and a Beast RDE would have gotten a few sacks for sure.


Yes, that's what I meant...and you're absolutely correct that Palmer didn't always get the ball out fast and a better pass rushing RDE could have made a difference.

I guess my point was that, for that game, Gipson was the bigger problem than Rucker/Parker/Winn.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DawgSoldier


Joined: 30 Oct 2007
Posts: 5947
Location: Medina OH
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh. I thought you were talking position rather than personel. Nevermind then.
_________________
The Dawgpounds new three headed monster!

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Thomas5737


Joined: 23 Dec 2009
Posts: 4949
Location: WV
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:

2nd off, if Pat was going to call the timeout there to decide what to do, why not challenge the spot??? Worst case, you lose and spend the timeout anyway!


If the refs ruled that the play was forward progress, it could not be reviewed unless I am mistaken


I'm not sure, I would think not being allowed to challenge because of forward progress would pertain to fumbles, not the spot of the ball. Rules change every year, and I don't keep up but you used to be able to challege the spot of the ball. I don't know if it was obvious and would be overturned, I watched the game from my computer and couldn't tell.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The OUTLAW


Joined: 05 Jan 2005
Posts: 8425
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
MalcolmBrown wrote:
This game ball is a little less obvious than others, but I think it is deserved:


Pat Shurmur


The team only had 2 penalties (25 yards). The Raiders had 10 (65 yards), a number we're not unfamiliar with this season. You want to see where the discipline is coming down from the HC? That's huge for this young team, especially on the road.



Penalties were a huge improvement. Props to Shurmur for that.

Also Props because we are still playing VERY HARD for a team that has been out of the race for weeks.

Now

Was anyone else flipping out on that 4th and 1??? When we did the QB Sneak on 3rd and 1. First off, I thought we got there. 2nd off, if Pat was going to call the timeout there to decide what to do, why not challenge the spot??? Worst case, you lose and spend the timeout anyway!

Am I off base on this???


Just peeved me a bit.


Also, not necessarily all on Pat, but the MoMass big play, we couldn't even get the next play off and had to use a TO. That stuff makes me so mad


Even Oakland fans were commenting on how we got screwed on that spot. Not only that, they screwed us again the next time when they gave Oakland a spot a good yrd further than it should have been.
_________________
You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser

Vince Lombardi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group