Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jake Long out for the season.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miami has played everything fine so far. IF they are smart they will create rumors they are working on a deal with Long while franchising him. There will be suitors that will come for him. Its a triceps injury, meaning he will be healthy when business season rolls around. I would trade Jake Long for Mike Wallace and a third right now.
Kaiowas05

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin seemed to get a few good drive blocks at times, it was good to see him move someone.
Belfast Trojans #32 Shamrock Bowl winner '12, '13 and '14
EFAF Atlantic Cup Winner 2013
WaterBear56

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Jake is gone....and he should be. This is not due to his play, but the fact that 1. he doesn't fit this offensive style, 2. he's going to be very expensive, 3. he has had a history of injuries....mostly the kind he can play with, but only at 85% or so. If Martin continues to improve on the left side the Dolphins need only to replace a RT which in the end is much cheaper.

I think if Jake signs somewhere else the Dolphins get a 3rd round compensatory pick....

Doubt it. We have 50M in cap so the balance of the salaries that we spend will outweigh Longs contract. Bad year for him to leave. Plus even if he does and does get an 11.5M contract then we would get the third for 2014, not this draft.

Also, tag and trade is illegal.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So JL was put in IR today it seems.

Adopt a Dolphwin - Lamar Miller
11 Rush - 59 Yards - 5.4 Avg - 1 TD [] 4 Rec - 19 Yards
SUG

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
Really should've traded him when we had the chance.

Rolling Eyes .... uhm .... yeah, but what the hell do I know.

HOF LT - Canton ... what was I thinking.

sug Mad
skatewood2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WaterBear56 wrote:

Since when is "tag and trade" illegal? It doesn't happen often because it's extremely expensive, but it's not illegal.

NFL - Miami Dolphins
College - THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatewood2 wrote:
WaterBear56 wrote:

Since when is "tag and trade" illegal? It doesn't happen often because it's extremely expensive, but it's not illegal.

I think the FBI gets involved if a team is suspected of using the franchise tag in such a way....
Miami2DaMax

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he goes anywhere we must get a 1st out of him, i mean Davis went for a 2nd, we'd probably get a 1st and a player or another draft pick actually. He's still top a top 5 LT.
SUG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miami2DaMax wrote:
If he goes anywhere we must get a 1st out of him, i mean Davis went for a 2nd, we'd probably get a 1st and a player or another draft pick actually. He's still top a top 5 LT.

No disrespect M2DM but ....
you are outta your mind if you think any team is going to give up a 1st rnd pick for a player who's
battled injury's 2 yrs in a row & is a remnant of the "Mega Cap" days.

I mean really ... in todays new salary cap era ...??? ... PLEAZE !

If someone offers a late 2nd or a high 3rd I would be all over that.

If Ireland traded a 1st for a similar player to JL with his injury hist he would be fired asap given
his performance on the field.
And it's a way to risky a proposition to franchise him & expect to recoup in a fantasy trade deal.

Someone here mentioned were in line for a 3rd rnd compensatory pk if we let him walk, not sure though.
That would mean:
* One - 1st rnd pk
* Two - second rnd pks
* Three - 3rd rnd pks
= 6 pks in rnds 1 - 2 & 3 ...

= Call it a day & stop gambling.

sug
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be alone, but I think we should not be so quick to quit on Long. No doubt he has been a shadow of himself as of late, but he has been injured, and he has been picking up a different system of blocking. The guy has played at a HOF level previously, and he's not too old to be expected to return to that form. Clearly, we can't spend on him like a franchise QB, but if he is at all reasonable about contract demands, then I'd prefer to see if he can overcome a poor season.

As for getting first round trade value for him, well, I'd be surprised. As SUG said, I don't think its going to be easy to wrestle first rounders away from teams. Certainly not as easy as it was before. First rounders are better prepared in many cases, then they were before, and the salaries have dropped since the new CBA making 1st rounders solid deals, and guys expected to immediately contribute.
SUG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
I may be alone, but I think we should not be so quick to quit on Long. No doubt he has been a shadow of himself as of late, but he has been injured, and he has been picking up a different system of blocking. The guy has played at a HOF level previously, and he's not too old to be expected to return to that form. Clearly, we can't spend on him like a franchise QB, but if he is at all reasonable about contract demands, then I'd prefer to see if he can overcome a poor season.

As for getting first round trade value for him, well, I'd be surprised. As SUG said, I don't think its going to be easy to wrestle first rounders away from teams. Certainly not as easy as it was before. First rounders are better prepared in many cases, then they were before, and the salaries have dropped since the new CBA making 1st rounders solid deals, and guys expected to immediately contribute.

The core issue that chaps my [inappropriate/removed] outta the Mia Dolphins & this whole JL saga is TIME.

Now I realize it's a brand new HC, Off scheme & a feeling out process at hand here but ...
There were "aficionados" right here in this forum that said going into gm 1 or 2 that JL was
not a good fit for this system.
So if we new new that then ...
There were those of us last yr that said his performance was not close to par last yr in his native system. (injury's)

I just wish people here could see & accept that Mia needs to learn how to:
A. trade a player a yr too soon vs a yr too late.
B. do so well within the window of time allotted, gm # 8.

This has been one of our biggest achillies, Time & learning how to make decisive decisions that generate
options vs doing nothing.

We've been down this rd time & time again & it seems we just don't learn.

sug
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUG wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:

The core issue that chaps my [inappropriate/removed] outta the Mia Dolphins & this whole JL saga is TIME.

Now I realize it's a brand new HC, Off scheme & a feeling out process at hand here but ...
There were "aficionados" right here in this forum that said going into gm 1 or 2 that JL was
not a good fit for this system.
So if we new new that then ...
There were those of us last yr that said his performance was not close to par last yr in his native system. (injury's)

I just wish people here could see & accept that Mia needs to learn how to:
A. trade a player a yr too soon vs a yr too late.
B. do so well within the window of time allotted, gm # 8.

This has been one of our biggest achillies, Time & learning how to make decisive decisions that generate
options vs doing nothing.

We've been down this rd time & time again & it seems we just don't learn.

sug

This is what has made teams like New England near the top every year. They know when to move on from a player and still get value for them (why they almost always have a stock pile of draft picks). The Dolphins seem to be trying to do this....Davis, Marshall....whether we agree with the moves or not....they did get something for those players and for some reason were not going to be part of this coaches team. When is the last time the Phins have had 5 picks in the first 3 rounds? This could be a really good offseason for the Phins.....cap space, draft picks...as much as I love watching this team grow through the season I'm just as excited to see how the handle this bounty of potential moves.
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even back to the days of Thurman Thomas, Trace Armstrong, various offensive linemen whose names slip my memory and a few DBs, it seems we where always willing to kick the tires and take a chance on a player that had his glory days with another team. We always payed players for what they did instead of acquiring talent that showed promise for the future.

Now we had the perfect opportunity to show that we had learned our lesson with Long, but we dropped the ball. I'm not to clear on how these compensatory picks work (when you lose a FA to another team) but we should have more to show for him than that.

And we need to stop saying that his play has declined. That's like saying playing Cam Wake at MLB and saying his play has declined. Jake Long it a future Hall Of Famer and he'll resume that path when he gets back to a man blocking / power running system.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:

This response goes out to both you and Doc here Merc. Long was a stud for 2 years. 2. His rookie year was unreal, and 2009 was even better. 2010 was worse than 2008. 2011 was worse than 2010. And now 2012 is worse than 2011. Throw in the injury factor, and I don't think Jake Long will be any closer to Anthony Munoz when it's all said and done than he will be to Tony Boselli. Boselli was unreal. And then injuries happened. Jake has had a bad wheel and now multiple upper body injuries. Those, for a lineman, will stack up. And he's still young. Not good.

As far as comp. picks go...to clarify to SUG, comp picks aren't doled out until the next offseason. So losing Long would result in a 2014 3rd round pick.

Warpticon wrote:
I think Mike Wallace made a mistake because *throws turd at wall*
freak_of_nature

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProudDolphan47 wrote:

So losing Long would result in a 2014 3rd round pick.

Depending on our total net result in free agency. If we signed Mike Wallace, and let Long walk, we might get no comp pick.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: