Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Roman
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SFaithful97

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnie's Pinky wrote:
Of all that was annoying about last night's game, I was most distressed by the playcalling. I don't know if it was Roman or Harbaugh or the ghost of Bill Walsh, but the playcalling was miserably bad.

Between Gore and Jacobs, we ran the ball 27 times for 64 yards. Take out Gore's lone long run for 23 yards, and we're at 26 runs for 41 yards, which is 1.6 yards/carry. Holy carp, that is bad. The single worst incident was the series late in the 4th quarter. With 1st and 10 at the St. Louis 37, the 49ers needed basically one more 1st down to put Akers in reliable field goal range and pretty much ice the game. So what do we do? Gore for 2 yards, Gore for 2 yards, incomplete to Crabtree, missed field goal. FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

The St. Louis front seven is pretty good, and they were taking away the run all night and challenging the 49ers to beat them through the air, which involved practically giving away a lot of underneath routes. We should have just taken what was there. Kap's passing was just fine. There was no reason to stick with the run on 1st/2nd down when it was clearly going nowhere. Just terrible, mindless playcalling from the coaching staff.
The last 2 quarters (including the overtime) were terrible. You know how they say don't call not to lose, call to win? We seemed to be calling to lose. We were entirely predictable, and after we found out what wasn't working we seemed to call those plays over and over again. Why were we not throwing the slant against J Jenkins every play until it was covered? It was a free 7-12 yards every time we ran it. As soon as he steps up to take that away you can run a double move and take the top off the defense and put seven on the board. With how bad their secondary was playing in coverage, there was no excuse for how ineffective we were on offense.

MAC DRE wrote:
I'd rather have young Wagner and Wright going forward than Willis and Bowman.
Ataal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnie's Pinky wrote:
Of all that was annoying about last night's game, I was most distressed by the playcalling. I don't know if it was Roman or Harbaugh or the ghost of Bill Walsh, but the playcalling was miserably bad.

Between Gore and Jacobs, we ran the ball 27 times for 64 yards. Take out Gore's lone long run for 23 yards, and we're at 26 runs for 41 yards, which is 1.6 yards/carry. Holy carp, that is bad. The single worst incident was the series late in the 4th quarter. With 1st and 10 at the St. Louis 37, the 49ers needed basically one more 1st down to put Akers in reliable field goal range and pretty much ice the game. So what do we do? Gore for 2 yards, Gore for 2 yards, incomplete to Crabtree, missed field goal. FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

The St. Louis front seven is pretty good, and they were taking away the run all night and challenging the 49ers to beat them through the air, which involved practically giving away a lot of underneath routes. We should have just taken what was there. Kap's passing was just fine. There was no reason to stick with the run on 1st/2nd down when it was clearly going nowhere. Just terrible, mindless playcalling from the coaching staff.

Wait, so run-run-pass is not the gold standard anymore? :p

Oh, man. It would be funny if it wasn't so true.... Unbelievably bad play calling. I'm still picking my jaw off the floor on the "let's get cute on 3rd and 3 inside our own 10." 3rd and long, mid-field, winning the field position battle, maybe I see that happening....3rd and 3 backed up against our end zone....ugh. I really, really hope someone received an early Christmas present this year. And, by present, I mean a new hole.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Harbaugh didn't call that stupid pitch play.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2012/12/inside-the-49ers/harbaugh-takes-responsibility-for-letting-the-fumbled-option-play-get-called-in/

Quote:
Q: But you didn’t call the play. You just allowed it to get called in. Is that correct?

HARBAUGH: Yes, that’s correct.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2012/12/inside-the-49ers/harbaugh-takes-responsibility-for-letting-the-fumbled-option-play-get-called-in/

Quote:
Q: But you didn’t call the play. You just allowed it to get called in. Is that correct?

Okay, that eliminates Jim. That leaves Roman, Chryst, Drevno, Rathman, Solari and Scott Hyver (okay, the last one is the team's Eye doctor... probably not him)... it's probably Roman's call anyway. I don't see an assistant calling such a play and Harbaugh letting it go through.

And please... scrap the read option. It worked twice in preseason, and perhaps 4 times in the regular season. Scrap it. It's useless. They are low-percentage plays that expose our QB to hits. Scrap it! If we want Kap to run, send 4 WRs on go routes, open up the middle of the field, and let him take the space that's left in front of him.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:

Quote:

Okay, that eliminates Jim. That leaves Roman, Chryst, Drevno, Rathman, Solari and Scott Hyver (okay, the last one is the team's Eye doctor... probably not him)... it's probably Roman's call anyway. I don't see an assistant calling such a play and Harbaugh letting it go through.

And please... scrap the read option. It worked twice in preseason, and perhaps 4 times in the regular season. Scrap it. It's useless. They are low-percentage plays that expose our QB to hits. Scrap it! If we want Kap to run, send 4 WRs on go routes, open up the middle of the field, and let him take the space that's left in front of him.

I'm willing to bet it's Roman too, and I'm with you 100%, scrap the read option.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:

Yeah, I think that kind of goes without saying. The read option is not useful in the NFL because pro defenders are responsible and stay at home far better than do college players, especially WAC players.

We need to take what the defense gives us and let Colin play. No cute stuff, just good strategic football. The kid has already shown that he is not a turnover machine. If defenses stack the box against us on 1st down, then run a freaking playaction. If they go into soft coverage, then soften them up with slants and underneath routes. This isn't rocket science. Even mediocre NFL defenses will eat you up if you let them dictate the play. We lit up Chicago because our playcalling was more aggressive than they expected. It's not 1970, for god's sakes. The pass can set up the run.
rudyZ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnie's Pinky wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

Yeah, I think that kind of goes without saying. The read option is not useful in the NFL because pro defenders are responsible and stay at home far better than do college players, especially WAC players.

We need to take what the defense gives us and let Colin play. No cute stuff, just good strategic football. The kid has already shown that he is not a turnover machine. If defenses stack the box against us on 1st down, then run a freaking playaction. If they go into soft coverage, then soften them up with slants and underneath routes. This isn't rocket science. Even mediocre NFL defenses will eat you up if you let them dictate the play. We lit up Chicago because our playcalling was more aggressive than they expected. It's not 1970, for god's sakes. The pass can set up the run.

Amen. A playaction with a designed rollout would put immense pressure on a defense. What do they do? Drop into coverage and give Colin 8 yards runs every time, or force him to throw, and give him 15 yards throws all the the time. The read option puts immense pressure... on Colin. That's a really really really stupid thing to call.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: