Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Roman
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
big9erfan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Roman Reply with quote

It's time to have some talk about him. For me that means rant.

I've watched for almost two seasons now and am never happy with his play calling. I've not started this thread before now for the same reason I've been satisfied with Alex - winning makes complaining seem kind of silly. But I've just about had it with Roman's play calling. He is forever digging into his bag of tricks - at exactly the wrong moment. He continually calls runs on 1st or 2nd and 20. He continually calls 3rd down plays that are not likely to get us a first down and settles for turning it over to the defense. His redzone play calls have by and large been crap for these two years. He runs a screen or that quick throw to a WR where the other one is supposed to block for him and we never get anything on those plays. We keep running them, but we just don't know how to execute them. There never seems to be much rhythm or continuity to our offense. Rather than looking like one play is setting up the next it always looks to me almost like random selection of plays.

I could go on, but I'll leave some complaints for you all. Is anyone else almost hoping someone "steals him away" from us when the season is over?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roman is good in that he can minimize deficiencies in talent schematically. But he overdoes it and also minimizes our strengths in talent at times as well. Making plays so complex that our weaknesses are hidden many times also increases our margin of error in the execution of those plays. At least thats my take on it.

What pisses me off is his lack of understanding of game-flow and his bad-timing when shifting play style.

Last edited by RedWhiteNGold on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Roman Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
It's time to have some talk about him. For me that means rant.

I've watched for almost two seasons now and am never happy with his play calling. I've not started this thread before now for the same reason I've been satisfied with Alex - winning makes complaining seem kind of silly. But I've just about had it with Roman's play calling. He is forever digging into his bag of tricks - at exactly the wrong moment. He continually calls runs on 1st or 2nd and 20. He continually calls 3rd down plays that are not likely to get us a first down and settles for turning it over to the defense. His redzone play calls have by and large been crap for these two years. He runs a screen or that quick throw to a WR where the other one is supposed to block for him and we never get anything on those plays. We keep running them, but we just don't know how to execute them. There never seems to be much rhythm or continuity to our offense. Rather than looking like one play is setting up the next it always looks to me almost like random selection of plays.

I could go on, but I'll leave some complaints for you all. Is anyone else almost hoping someone "steals him away" from us when the season is over?

100% agree.

As I said in the gameday thread, I'm never again in favor of hiring or signing anyone with the last name "Roman." It's a death knell.

Frank Gore 10,000 yard tracker:

Currently - 9,967
Ranked 29th all-time
John232

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a pretty big critic of his. I was heated with him after the playoff loss last year and I put a fair amount of the blame on Roman, Alex's and obviously Kyle's shoulders. However, Roman is young...he definitely has the brain for it, but I think he falls in love with himself far too often for him to be called "dependable". He did the crap against the Giants twice and has routinely gotten gimmick-y to the point of it being a detriment, like today.

Kap made a dumb play but he was put into that position by Roman.

A part of me hopes he finds a job as a head coach somewhere else.

xsaMainevent on the sig
scraly47*

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cute don't win games and that's what happen to us today. A OC in his right mind would have never called for a gimmick play in the situation we were in. I would have rather ran a PA bootleg. I didn't think we took advantage of Kaep's and his arm in today's game. We may have thrown the ball deep a few times.

I wished we would have ran the quick trap with gore more and our signature counter play with Gore. I, for one, wouldn't mind if Roman decides to take a gig as a HC in college or somewhere else in the league.

Edit: another thing is that he has done HORRIBLE job getting the ball to Vernon...

-Lork
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The run plays today were so boring and predictable. It's almost like when Sing was here. It was tun up the middle all damn day. Run to the outside!!!

Thanks to Peppers90 on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
49ersfan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
The run plays today were so boring and predictable. It's almost like when Sing was here. It was tun up the middle all damn day. Run to the outside!!!

We have no speed back. Well we do but we seem determined not to play James. Either our coaches are stubborn or he's really bad. Jacobs was ineffective today and Dixon doesn't even see snaps outside of ST's.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't we ever have a good OC? I think Roman will get an HC gig in the off-season, but I'm hoping the next guy in line will be more effective.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Boston College wants him, or he's interested in BC. Dunno, but if all the BS is him, then he needs to go. I kinda thought it was Harbs but there's just no way...

candyman93 wrote:
San Francisco is going to put an unmerciful beat down on everyone they play next year.
big9erfan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:

We have no speed back. Well we do but we seem determined not to play James. Either our coaches are stubborn or he's really bad. Jacobs was ineffective today and Dixon doesn't even see snaps outside of ST's.

Not activating James and putting him in for some plays is just another example. It's Roman saying "we're going to shove it down your throats". That doesn't work in today's NFL. Didn't work for Sing; aint working when that's all we do for Roman.

To me it's kind of like using 3 TE's. All that extraa TE can do is block somebody, and if he doesn't do that the guy can make the tackle. Put in a WR instead and flank him out and his defender is instantly out of any chance to make a tackle on a running play. Plus when you don't run you've got a real receiver in there not a 3rd TE that can't even beat the average LB.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that Roman isn't responsible for 100% of playcalls. Sometimes Harbaugh calls plays, and sometimes even assistants suggest plays to Harbaugh. The most notorious example being "Vernon Post", against the Saints, which was Geep Chryst's call. The fact is, we don't know which plays are called by Roman.

Overall, I like the play designs (again, we don't know who actually designed which play, since it's very much a collaborative work). But I think we just have too many plays to begin with. The execution sometimes is at fault, and that may because we have too many plays to practice, and not enough time to perfect them.

Scrap all the read-option and gimmicky stuff, and go back to power running. Pull the guards, wham the TEs, bounce it off tackle, stretch the field horizontally. Then come back inside on 3 WRs sets, with the field stretched by the personnel on the field. I agree we fail to set up plays, at times.

Finally, maybe that's an area where we miss Alex on the field. He was becoming a master audibler. Whenever he would audible to a running play, it would go for 8 yards or more. It was amazing. I'm sure Gore misses Alex for that. CK needs more time in the classroom.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
FG21_PW52

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
Keep in mind that Roman isn't responsible for 100% of playcalls. Sometimes Harbaugh calls plays, and sometimes even assistants suggest plays to Harbaugh. The most notorious example being "Vernon Post", against the Saints, which was Geep Chryst's call. The fact is, we don't know which plays are called by Roman.

Overall, I like the play designs (again, we don't know who actually designed which play, since it's very much a collaborative work). But I think we just have too many plays to begin with. The execution sometimes is at fault, and that may because we have too many plays to practice, and not enough time to perfect them.

Scrap all the read-option and gimmicky stuff, and go back to power running. Pull the guards, wham the TEs, bounce it off tackle, stretch the field horizontally. Then come back inside on 3 WRs sets, with the field stretched by the personnel on the field. I agree we fail to set up plays, at times.

Finally, maybe that's an area where we miss Alex on the field. He was becoming a master audibler. Whenever he would audible to a running play, it would go for 8 yards or more. It was amazing. I'm sure Gore misses Alex for that. CK needs more time in the classroom.

that's the only reason I don't really want him starting yet...

candyman93 wrote:
San Francisco is going to put an unmerciful beat down on everyone they play next year.
UofMfan909

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
Why can't we ever have a good OC? I think Roman will get an HC gig in the off-season, but I'm hoping the next guy in line will be more effective.

idk, don't think a really "good" oc would work under Harbaugh. I'm talking a Norv Turner type, for the record... Harbaugh wants things done his way and I think the OC is going to be a bit of a pawn of his regardless.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's a (THE) forum so discussion is the name of the game but sometimes we are too quick to judge around here:

2010: 6-10
11/12: 22-7-1

Always room for improvement for sure but Romans no Jimmy Raye (or Jim Hostler)... 50/60 calls a game, a clunker here or there is to be expected. I'm just as pissed off as everyone else with the miscues but gotta step back and put it all in perspective IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all that was annoying about last night's game, I was most distressed by the playcalling. I don't know if it was Roman or Harbaugh or the ghost of Bill Walsh, but the playcalling was miserably bad.

Between Gore and Jacobs, we ran the ball 27 times for 64 yards. Take out Gore's lone long run for 23 yards, and we're at 26 runs for 41 yards, which is 1.6 yards/carry. Holy carp, that is bad. The single worst incident was the series late in the 4th quarter. With 1st and 10 at the St. Louis 37, the 49ers needed basically one more 1st down to put Akers in reliable field goal range and pretty much ice the game. So what do we do? Gore for 2 yards, Gore for 2 yards, incomplete to Crabtree, missed field goal. FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

The St. Louis front seven is pretty good, and they were taking away the run all night and challenging the 49ers to beat them through the air, which involved practically giving away a lot of underneath routes. We should have just taken what was there. Kap's passing was just fine. There was no reason to stick with the run on 1st/2nd down when it was clearly going nowhere. Just terrible, mindless playcalling from the coaching staff.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: