Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Whitney Mercilus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Whitney Mercilus Reply with quote

Did Whitney Mercilus set a texans rookie sack record last night?

He has 6 sacks on the season now

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Whitney Mercilus Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
Did Whitney Mercilus set a texans rookie sack record last night?

He has 6 sacks on the season now

I think he did. The previous rookie sack leader in a single season was Watt 5.5. if I'm not mistaken. He passed Antonio Smith for 2nd on the team in sacks and has more sacks than Reed and Barwin combined.

Good job Mercilus!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is tied with Brooks Reed from last year (6)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have access to snap count data? It still feels like I'm seeing way too much James, Sharpton, and Dobbins and not enough Mercilus. I haven't done a whole lot of tracking and really don't care to relive that Pats mess, but it strikes me that he's really just coming in as end in 4-3 in obvious passing situations with the gaggle of filler we have left at LB getting far too much time on the field. The Brooks Reed injury strikes me as the straw that has broken this camel's back as it seems like we get very predictable when it's clear on nearly every down where we are bringing our 4th rusher from if we bring one at all (Mercilus when he's in there or Barwin when he isn't). I'd personally like to see us flip Barwin over to the weak side more often and overload Barwin and Merci in 4-3. Just like Diles was once the weak link that dictated offenses, teams just throw at Dobbins/Sharpton or run at Bradie James/Barrett Ruud. None of the inside linebackers is athletic enough to help out outside the tackles so we are exposed out there when the OLBs blitz. I get the sense that the safeties are overcompensating to our need to fill more gaps in run defense which is opening us to getting torched deep. I don't quite understand why we weren't just in nickel most of the Pats game as we should be against the Colts as there aren't any linebackers on this team that should be covering any of these TEs and our safeties are surer tacklers than our LBs anyway. I'd be willing to risk Vick Ballard having a big day to have 5 db's covering Wayne, Hilton, and Avery on every down because Hilton and Avery can run laps on any of our db's so we'll need deep support and hope JJ can hang with old man Reggie better than Lloyd. Somebody better spy Luck as Wade's defenses have always gotten killed by running Qbs.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
jargin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Anyone have access to snap count data? It still feels like I'm seeing way too much James, Sharpton, and Dobbins and not enough Mercilus. I haven't done a whole lot of tracking and really don't care to relive that Pats mess, but it strikes me that he's really just coming in as end in 4-3 in obvious passing situations with the gaggle of filler we have left at LB getting far too much time on the field. The Brooks Reed injury strikes me as the straw that has broken this camel's back as it seems like we get very predictable when it's clear on nearly every down where we are bringing our 4th rusher from if we bring one at all (Mercilus when he's in there or Barwin when he isn't). I'd personally like to see us flip Barwin over to the weak side more often and overload Barwin and Merci in 4-3. Just like Diles was once the weak link that dictated offenses, teams just throw at Dobbins/Sharpton or run at Bradie James/Barrett Ruud. None of the inside linebackers is athletic enough to help out outside the tackles so we are exposed out there when the OLBs blitz. I get the sense that the safeties are overcompensating to our need to fill more gaps in run defense which is opening us to getting torched deep. I don't quite understand why we weren't just in nickel most of the Pats game as we should be against the Colts as there aren't any linebackers on this team that should be covering any of these TEs and our safeties are surer tacklers than our LBs anyway. I'd be willing to risk Vick Ballard having a big day to have 5 db's covering Wayne, Hilton, and Avery on every down because Hilton and Avery can run laps on any of our db's so we'll need deep support and hope JJ can hang with old man Reggie better than Lloyd. Somebody better spy Luck as Wade's defenses have always gotten killed by running Qbs.
Now we are seeing the loss of Cushing at work. Cushing, I think, could have made some better plays on Woodhead, Hernandez and others out of the backfield and over the middle.

Mercilus has been on point when he has been in games. He doesn't seem like a tremendous run stopper but getting to the QB 6 times in his rookie year without starting every game so far is impressive. He might turn it up to 8 or 10 sacks by the time the year is over. Depends on if Brooks Reed gets playing time before the playoffs or not. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mercilus notch 8 sacks this year.

[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: