Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What Changes need to be made before the season ends??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Gnat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any changes, I would basically have Fusco and Schwartz fight for the RG position and figure that out,and same with Guion and Evans, maybe take a look at Cole like people have suggested at ILB, other than that, I wouldn't do anything, none of the free agent WR's in that list in the other thread make me all that interested to bring them in for a try-out. For the Vikings I would just go with two WR's in next off season, I know people don't like the idea of signing a big name WR and then drafting one early, but I'd be very fine with that, I think if the offense improves the defense will look a bit better, even though there are still obvious holes, I think making a good offense is what you have to do first in this league.

lacrosse59

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you see happening if we lose out?

Seriously Peterson cant run for 200+ yards and we lose

Ponder needs to improve ALOT more and he should have already.

Percy needs to be resigned and we need to keep Wright and cut everyone else.

Charlie Johnson should get benched

Ponder needs competition brought in like Henne or Flynn
byuvike88

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to show improvement with the weapons he is working with, especially without Harvin. I love this forum, but reading posts during the game is so frusterating sometimes. As soon as 1 bad thing goes wrong we lose all hope and want to start all over. I have had a fair share of frusteration with Ponder, but so did Chargers fans with Brees, Giants fans with Manning. We can't expect him to progress to be a star without giving him some help. It's rare to have a 1st or 2nd year quarterback become an instant star
JMac79

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Uno wrote:
The only argument you need for Webb is that the passing game can't get any worse.

The one thing Webb does that is overlooked, is the fact that he extends plays and picks up first downs. You can't give Harvin and Peterson the attention they require while keeping Webb from making plays with his legs.

If you mean that he runs with the ball... then yes. Extends plays, as in scrambling to find receivers downfield? I don't recall that happening all that often with him. There's been a few occasions when he's done that, but I'd say that 70-80% of the time I've seen Joe Webb break from the pocket he's running the ball, not trying to find his receivers getting open.

Webb's got a nicer deep ball and arm than Ponder, but on nearly every point that people criticize Ponder for (inaccuracy, poor decisionmaking, too early in scrambling out of the pocket, not going through progressions, etc., etc.), Joe Webb hasn't proven to be any better, and in some cases is clearly worse. Being a more-productive runner than Ponder isn't going to help the passing game, especially when we've seen in a few instances that Webb's productivity goes into the tank once teams have the opportunity to game plan for his style of play. Ponder's play has been pretty bad, but from what we've seen from Joe Webb in the past... yes, the passing game can get worse, especially if he hasn't developed significantly beyond what we had seen.

In all honestly, I guess I wouldn't mind if the coaches sat down Ponder if he continues to make dumb mistakes... but I'm not holding out any hope that Joe Webb will fare any better, and wouldn't be surprised if he's worse, especially if teams are ready for him.

DJC71 wrote:
That's like asking if I'd still buy my ex-wife flowers on our anniversary after she left me for another dude. Heck no. I hope she gets bedbugs.
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Webb hasn't been worse than Ponder, not even if you're only looking at passing. Last year we actually had clearly more success with Webb in the game.
The Gnat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you actually look at the running stats, Ponder hasn't been worse than Webb last year.
Webb's passing numbers on deep passes last year as compared to Ponder's this year are basically a wash. Webb is mainly more inaccurate in the short to mid-range passing plays. And his numbers were coming against teams that didn't adjust well to him coming in part way through a game, when a team did adjust well because they had a good defense, he was shut down last year. Webb is an outstanding back-up because of his mobility and ability to extend plays like Vick could when he was younger, but he is inaccurate and basically with the exception of the Washington game last year, he didn't provide that much of a spark to the team, the Chicago game he threw the ball for a number of yards, but on a terrible percentage with many interceptions and was unable to run with the ball, and that's what you'd get when teams can game plan against him, lets not pretend like he won us the game two years ago against the Eagles either, that was all on the defense.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: