Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Observations from the Colts Game
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillParks wrote:
I definitely think there need to be some player changes in addition to some coaching staff changes. Brandon Pettigrew needs to go. We can't have one of our primary offensive weapons make so many crucial mistakes. I honestly think that we should, if at all possible replace Raiola and Peterman if we can. Cherilous is pretty pedestrian also. Personally considering how heavy his feet seem to be maybe he would be a better G. He is imminently replaceable though. We have to get one or maybe even two starting safeties. Spivey isn't working out due to injury and inconsistent play. Delmas can't stay healthy. Silva and Cary are good 3rd/back-up safeties. Avril hasn't been a consistent playmaker and needs to go. Jackson hasn't produced much in his back-up role either. Vandenbosche doesn't have much left in the tank and isn't worth the $9 million salary he is going to get. Our LBs all play the run pretty well but as I mentioned before there are no real playmakers in this group. Martin Mayhew will be pretty busy during this off-season.

We have all of these questionable areas, yet compete with everyone. If not for execution mistakes, I can only wonder what our record would be.

So, if you think we're that weak across the roster, yet we're still competitive, don't you think the coaches deserve credit?

Team Stylish
WillParks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and no. They deserve credit for working with players that aren't that great. However, they aren't doing the best job of getting the most out of them at certain times (see Linehan's conservative 4th quarter play calling). Someone made a good point about calling sweeps late in the game. Our o-line can pass protect pretty well but they aren't very good run blockers. Why not just work the short passing game and take any wide-open shots that may come up. The colts aren't exactly a defensive powerhouse.

By the way, did anyone notice that Pat Lee got a fair number of snaps today and didn't play too badly? Lets hope he can make some positive contributions down the stretch.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillParks wrote:
Yes and no. They deserve credit for working with players that aren't that great. However, they aren't doing the best job of getting the most out of them at certain times (see Linehan's conservative 4th quarter play calling). Someone made a good point about calling sweeps late in the game. Our o-line can pass protect pretty well but they aren't very good run blockers. Why not just work the short passing game and take any wide-open shots that may come up. The colts aren't exactly a defensive powerhouse.

By the way, did anyone notice that Pat Lee got a fair number of snaps today and didn't play too badly? Lets hope he can make some positive contributions down the stretch.

Conservative play calling gets criticized when it doesn't work, but the same is true with aggressive play calling. Had Stafford thrown an INT, it would have been "WHY ARE YOU RISKING THAT HERE?!".

A decision should NOT solely be graded on the outcome, but on the reasoning behind it in the first place.

Team Stylish
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lions once again found a way to lose a game they had under control.

The oline protected Stafford today. Zero sacks and only four hits. Stafford had time to throw today.

Every member of the Lions except Suh who had a monster day needs to take a hard look in the mirror because everyone else had a hand in this loss.

On three occasions huge defensive plays were negated by stupid penalties. Lining up in the neutral zone? How the heck does that happen. Pay attention out there.

Far to many drops but not all those drops are the receivers fault. Numerous passes were thrown behind receivers and they couldn't grasp the ball properly, or protect it. There were also passes that Stafford needs to take a bit off. When every single receiver is dropping the ball including CJ there is more to the picture than just blaming the wideouts.

That said, catching a few of those passes or Stafford placing a few balls better and drives are extended.

I like the way LeShoure runs the ball but he was averaging 2.7 yards per carry and his longest run was 7 yards. When the chips are down and you need a first down that is close to twice the average yards per carry you have to look elsewhere.

It simply amazes me that the dline can pressure all day getting 13 QB hits and the secondary can get 3 interceptions and the Lions lose again.

The play calling at the end of the game was ineffective. The Lions don't play to win they play not to lose. There is a total lack of killer instinct.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
GeneralTso

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
WillParks wrote:

Conservative play calling gets criticized when it doesn't work, but the same is true with aggressive play calling. Had Stafford thrown an INT, it would have been "WHY ARE YOU RISKING THAT HERE?!".

A decision should NOT solely be graded on the outcome, but on the reasoning behind it in the first place.

Except this has happened 3 weeks in a row now. So the fans actually have a reason to question.

The definition of insanity.

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
Yeah, [Mike] Wallace would be like 4th fastest on the Raiders.
WillParks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="diehardlionfan"]The Lions once again found a way to lose a game they had under control.

The oline protected Stafford today. Zero sacks and only four hits. Stafford had time to throw today.

Every member of the Lions except Suh who had a monster day needs to take a hard look in the mirror because everyone else had a hand in this loss.

On three occasions huge defensive plays were negated by stupid penalties. Lining up in the neutral zone? How the heck does that happen. Pay attention out there.

Far to many drops but not all those drops are the receivers fault. Numerous passes were thrown behind receivers and they couldn't grasp the ball properly, or protect it. There were also passes that Stafford needs to take a bit off. When every single receiver is dropping the ball including CJ there is more to the picture than just blaming the wideouts.

That said, catching a few of those passes or Stafford placing a few balls better and drives are extended.

I like the way LeShoure runs the ball but he was averaging 2.7 yards per carry and his longest run was 7 yards. When the chips are down and you need a first down that is close to twice the average yards per carry you have to look elsewhere.

It simply amazes me that the dline can pressure all day getting 13 QB hits and the secondary can get 3 interceptions and the Lions lose again.

The play calling at the end of the game was ineffective. The Lions don't play to win they play not to lose. There is a total lack of killer instinct.[/quote]

The lack of a killer instinct and consequently their inability to put teams away was one of the points I was trying to make in the original post. You said it best when you said that they play not to lose rather than playing to win.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralTso wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
WillParks wrote:

Except this has happened 3 weeks in a row now. So the fans actually have a reason to question.

Players failed to execute three weeks in a row, yet fans are still placing blame on the coaches. I think that says quite a bit.

Team Stylish
GeneralTso

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
GeneralTso wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
WillParks wrote:

Players failed to execute three weeks in a row, yet fans are still placing blame on the coaches. I think that says quite a bit.

The coaches also failed to change their philosophy in these three weeks. Maybe that's why the players failed...

Once again, the definition of insanity.

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
Yeah, [Mike] Wallace would be like 4th fastest on the Raiders.
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't we take a shot down the field to CJ on our last drive?

Doesn't that show "killer instinct?"

On the 3rd and 5 with 2 minutes left and no timeouts for Indy, you're better off running the ball and taking 40 seconds off the clock than risking an incomplete pass, giving Luck more time to work with. If we were less than 4 points ahead, I would have passed the ball and went for the win right there; but marching the ball down the field and score a TD with 1:20 remaining and no timeouts is a very hard thing to do. It was a responsible coaching decision.

If we either 1) get the first down or 2) win the game, nobody questions it. Hindsight is 20/20 people.

IDOG_det wrote:
I honestly wouldn't be upset if we draft 3 TE's

TE is the new QB Very Happy
ahoda

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My observation is that the Lions suck and lack play makers on defense
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralTso wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
GeneralTso wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
WillParks wrote:

The coaches also failed to change their philosophy in these three weeks. Maybe that's why the players failed...

Once again, the definition of insanity.
How would they know if the philosophy is bad if the players havent executed it yet? How do you know?

R.I.P. Stylish
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:
Didn't we take a shot down the field to CJ on our last drive?

Doesn't that show "killer instinct?"

On the 3rd and 5 with 2 minutes left and no timeouts for Indy, you're better off running the ball and taking 40 seconds off the clock than risking an incomplete pass, giving Luck more time to work with. If we were less than 4 points ahead, I would have passed the ball and went for the win right there; but marching the ball down the field and score a TD with 1:20 remaining and no timeouts is a very hard thing to do. It was a responsible coaching decision.

If we either 1) get the first down or 2) win the game, nobody questions it. Hindsight is 20/20 people.

The responsible coaching decision would be to put the ball in the hands of the players that were having success on the day.

Running the ball at first glance may seem correct but the end result was putting the ball in the hands of the Colts best player so that he could attack the weakest element of the Lions roster. That's a recipe for disaster.

As for hind sight being 20/20 that's simple cliche. It didn't require hind sight to guess the outcome of a running play given the average yards per run on the day. It didn't take hind sight to recognize that Lucks best success on the day was attacking down field against a weak secondary.

It was pretty obvious to those in the game day thread the Lions were going to lose.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
flyguy1609

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
You know what? Let's get Andy Reid! That guy is DA BEST EVA!!!

andy reid drafts worse then we do... let reid go to San Diego. Lets get Norv for O-Coord
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
You know what? Let's get Andy Reid! That guy is DA BEST EVA!!!
Laughing

I'm bothered by the amount of people thinking we are far away. We have a few errors and lose to a playoff team now people wanna go bring a terribad HC in Rex Ryan in.

We need a few tweaks and we can compete.

An OG/C a WR (lulz) a DE a Safety, and a CB and we are contenders.

Sig bet
Jrugges

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Observations from the Colts Game Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
WillParks wrote:
Offense:

3. Stafford played a great game but still flashed a lack of timing with his receivers. How can that still be happening 12 games into the season?

5. Losing Ryan Broyles could really hurt us this year and next year.

What did you guys see?

I see a correlation.
Did you even watch the game?

Wait... Burleson and Young played?

To answer your question (although it has no bearing on my point): no, I didn't watch the game. I worked late last night, had a 4:00-12:30 shift this morning, came home, did homework, ran, took a nap, and am now working out. I don't have cable, and I don't care all that much about football right now.

But that doesn't mean that I'm wrong with my point above.

Lol this is rich.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: