Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Observations from the Colts Game
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imyourGM

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only thing the coaches are fooln is theirselves. as far as the colts game..you could see what was about to happen a mile away. from the poor play calling as soon as we got the 9 point lead. How are the coaches not blame for this loss is beyond me.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
House of Suhs wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
How would they know if the philosophy is bad if the players havent executed it yet? How do you know?

You don't keep trying to put a square peg through a round hole. It's never going to work. Have you ever thought that the reason why the players haven't executed the coaches' philosophy is because the the players simply don't fit the coaches' philosophy? It is the coach's responsibility to create a scheme that fits the personnel that is given to him, as a coach your game-plan should be catering to your player's strengths, not their weaknesses. The philosophy is bad BECAUSE the players haven't executed it, and will probably never execute it; if the players could execute it, it wouldn't be a bad philosophy would it?

It's not as easy as "square peg/round hole". Expecting one yard on a 3rd and inches is something every running game should be capable of. Not constantly dropping passes is execution, not pegs and holes.

And I completely disagree with your overall point: if the players couldn't execute the coaches' philosophy, we wouldn't be competitive on a weekly basis. We wouldn't be bad calls and a few missed opportunities away from having a great record. We would be terrible. We aren't.

Didn't they in fact need five yards against the Colts?

The past two weeks has reminded me of what I dislike about Bob Stoops.

In a NC game against Florida the Sooners were first and goal on about the 1.5 yard area.

He ran the ball four times, turned the ball over on downs. It was the turning point of the game.

He routinely lets his stubborn streak dictate what the team does on offence and he does it far to often.

One of the things that disturbs me with the Lions play calling is the habit of going with plays that haven't been effective at crucial points of the game. Against the Colts LeShoure wasn't having an effective day.

I see both sides of the discussion because Stafford had missed on his last five attempts if I'm remembering accurately but overall the passing game was having far more success than the running game.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
House of Suhs wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
How would they know if the philosophy is bad if the players havent executed it yet? How do you know?

You don't keep trying to put a square peg through a round hole. It's never going to work. Have you ever thought that the reason why the players haven't executed the coaches' philosophy is because the the players simply don't fit the coaches' philosophy? It is the coach's responsibility to create a scheme that fits the personnel that is given to him, as a coach your game-plan should be catering to your player's strengths, not their weaknesses. The philosophy is bad BECAUSE the players haven't executed it, and will probably never execute it; if the players could execute it, it wouldn't be a bad philosophy would it?

It's not as easy as "square peg/round hole". Expecting one yard on a 3rd and inches is something every running game should be capable of. Not constantly dropping passes is execution, not pegs and holes.

And I completely disagree with your overall point: if the players couldn't execute the coaches' philosophy, we wouldn't be competitive on a weekly basis. We wouldn't be bad calls and a few missed opportunities away from having a great record. We would be terrible. We aren't.

Didn't they in fact need five yards against the Colts?

The past two weeks has reminded me of what I dislike about Bob Stoops.

In a NC game against Florida the Sooners were first and goal on about the 1.5 yard area.

He ran the ball four times, turned the ball over on downs. It was the turning point of the game.

He routinely lets his stubborn streak dictate what the team does on offence and he does it far to often.

One of the things that disturbs me with the Lions play calling is the habit of going with plays that haven't been effective at crucial points of the game. Against the Colts LeShoure wasn't having an effective day.

I see both sides of the discussion because Stafford had missed on his last five attempts if I'm remembering accurately but overall the passing game was having far more success than the running game.

It's... tough. There are times when the right play call might be one that wasn't successful previously in the game. Sometimes, you have to hope that your players can execute.

We hear about "confidence in your players". I guess there are times to have it, and times to not.

Team Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: