Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Passing On Options
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
Kordell Stewart was both a backup qb and part-time receiver. Playing some receiver doesn't mean he can't go back to qb if necessary.

Yeah, and this isn't madden brah.

Kordell Stewart was Slash for a reason. For his first few years he was effective because the Steelers moved him around, but later he demanded to be a straight up QB. Even then, Stewart was only this WR/QB/RB/KR player for not very long in the NFL at all.

and we've seen what we've got with Webb as this kind of gimmick QB. It doesn't work. The "Blazer" Package burnt out before it even started. Plus he sucked as a WR.

Its important to focus on one position. It hurts the team when you have to waste precious time going from QB to WR, WR to QB and back/forth. I'd imagine it also takes a mental tool on someone to do that.

Webb will be a QB, and to put him at WR right now means throwing away all the work our coaches did with him.

It's just strange that we have this guy who's 6'3, runs a 4.4 and has shown us he can make plays yet we leave him on the bench despite being completely desperate. It's worked for other players and other teams. Not just Kordell Stewart but also Brad Smith. And as much as people want to pretend we've already tried, we haven't put hardly any effort into it.
The Gnat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm Guts wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
Kordell Stewart was both a backup qb and part-time receiver. Playing some receiver doesn't mean he can't go back to qb if necessary.

Kordell Stewart was Slash for a reason. For his first few years he was effective because the Steelers moved him around, but later he demanded to be a straight up QB. Even then, Stewart was only this WR/QB/RB/KR player for not very long in the NFL at all.

and we've seen what we've got with Webb as this kind of gimmick QB. It doesn't work. The "Blazer" Package burnt out before it even started. Plus he sucked as a WR.

Its important to focus on one position. It hurts the team when you have to waste precious time going from QB to WR, WR to QB and back/forth. I'd imagine it also takes a mental tool on someone to do that.

Webb will be a QB, and to put him at WR right now means throwing away all the work our coaches did with him.

It's just strange that we have this guy who's 6'3, runs a 4.4 and has shown us he can make plays yet we leave him on the bench despite being completely desperate. It's worked for other players and other teams. Not just Kordell Stewart but also Brad Smith. And as much as people want to pretend we've already tried, we haven't put hardly any effort into it.

But they have tried out Webb at WR, just because someone is athletic doesn't mean that they will work in a capacity beyond being a change of pace. With Stewart he did demand to become a QB and was questionable at best at WR. Brad Smith is worse than Webb at QB but has shown better hands for returns and receiving the ball than Webb ever did, the reason we don't see Webb in at WR is because he doesn't have the hands for it, they gave him time last year and they tried to make him become a WR, but just because you try doesn't mean that it will happen.

GoneWithTheWind

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would bring in Sims-Walker and Jabar Gaffney. They're the only ones on that list that I think could add anything to this recieving core which says a lot about whats available.

Shoutout to JTagg7754 on the sig!

It's so empty living behind these Cassel walls.

Vikings QB Wishlist

1. Derek Carr
2. A.J. McCarron
3. Aaron Murray
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would only bring in a guy you were testing for next year.....not sure if any of these guys meet that basic criteria. Actually, I would bring in any guy, to see if ponder can be better with better wide receivers.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm Guts wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

Just because we don't try it in games doesn't mean we've hardly tried. Heck, he has just as many catches in this league as Christian Ponder does. Laughing

We've put time into it. We've used practice time in the offseason to work him in as a WR, and it failed.

I don't think he ever mentally grasped the position (as it normally takes 3 years for a WR to fully develop) and it never looked like he had the hands to do it.

Bright and Happy days are coming to the Minnesota Vikings very soon.
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's barely played receiver in games, and you can't dispute that. He's barely played receiver in preseason games. I'm not expecting him to become Calvin Johnson, but given our situation it seem ridiculous that we haven't given it a greater opportunity. We haven't put much creativity into it, there alot different ways we could get Webb involved that we haven't tried at all.. We just don't have enough weapons to leave the ones we have on the bench.
The Gnat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm Guts wrote:
He's barely played receiver in games, and you can't dispute that. He's barely played receiver in preseason games. I'm not expecting him to become Calvin Johnson, but given our situation it seem ridiculous that we haven't given it a greater opportunity. We haven't put much creativity into it, there alot different ways we could get Webb involved that we haven't tried at all.. We just don't have enough weapons to leave the ones we have on the bench.

Yes, he has barely played WR in games, that's because the Vikings found out in practice that he isn't a viable option at WR, he simply does not have the hands for it.

Worm Guts

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:

Just because we don't try it in games doesn't mean we've hardly tried. Heck, he has just as many catches in this league as Christian Ponder does. Laughing .

That kind of proves we haven't given it a legitimate opportunity.

SteelKing728 wrote:

I don't think he ever mentally grasped the position (as it normally takes 3 years for a WR to fully develop) and it never looked like he had the hands to do it.

He can't mentally grasp the receiver position, so we put him at quarterback? That doesn't make any sense.
byuvike88

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get to see last year, but Jabar Gaffney set a career high with 68 receptions for 947 yards and 5 touchdowns with sketchy quarterback play. What is the reason he isn't on a team?
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know somebody brought up Armon Binns as a guy to bring in this year.

He was claimed by the Dolphins.
Uncle Buck

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be opposed to giving T.O. a shot. He's probably still better than most scrubs, and how much damage can he do to our lockerroom in only 3-4 weeks?

Elisha Cuthbert - Yet another hottie who loves wearing purple and white. Very Happy Go Vikings!

Big props to gopherwrestler for this awesome sig!
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to add Big Mike Williams and groom him to take over for Michael Jenkins next year. He is still just 28 and had a good year with Matt Hasslebeck in 2010. If only he could keep his weight under control.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preston Parker is an upgrade.
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any interest in Braylon Edwards who was released a couple of days ago?

We where interested in him a few seasons ago. Even being injury prone, he is an upgrade over everyone else not named Harvin.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Uno wrote:
Any interest in Braylon Edwards who was released a couple of days ago?

We where interested in him a few seasons ago. Even being injury prone, he is an upgrade over everyone else not named Harvin.

I probably would be if the team had a full offseason to get him worked into the offense, at this stage of the season, what is the point? Edwards probably wouldnt be able to play this Sunday so you are looking at two games where he could possibly contribute, assuming he can learn enough of the route trees and playbook to not look clueless out there.

The team needs to plan for next year, so i only see value in adding talented young players from other team's practice squad. Older palyers like TO and Edwards make no sense to me for this team as they close out the year.

While playoffs are a still a possibility, a veteran receiver wont really do a heck of a lot of increase our odds.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: