Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Greg McElroy Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will be the Jets QB going forward?
Greg McElroy
75%
 75%  [ 27 ]
Mark Sanchez
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Tim Tebow
16%
 16%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 36

teamorange

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
teamorange wrote:
By the way, can we stop saying McElroy lead us to victory? It was the defense and the ground game that did. McElroy was just the QB.

He didn't lose the game, which is what Sanchez was doing for 2.5 quarters.

I am just saying give credit where credit is due. We ran well on a good defense, and we completely negated their offense. They were 0-15 on 3rd downs, and we only let up something 70 yards if you take out the fake punt.
jpt331

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We played against Ryan Lindley so can we stop with the great defensive performance and all that, he makes Sanchez Look like Peyton Manning for God's sake,

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't really play this game, but McElroy led two touchdown drives (Ill count the last one) out of the three he had. Who's to say he doesn't have the Jets at 20 points if he plays the whole game.

The key thing here is McElroy clearly understood 7 points was going to win this game. Sanchez played like the Jets would need 20+ to win.

If Rex is honest with himself, he'll realize McElroy gives them the best chance to win these last four games.
Mattmanz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rex should give McElroy his shot he deserves it. At this point we don't have much to loose and if he ends up being terrible yank him, but hey you never ever know and the only way to find out is let him play.
Davey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if McElroy will ever be anything more than a good backup in the NFL, but his skill set has always translated perfectly to that. And with the way the Jets are built right now... poor offensive skill players, inconsistent running game but a good defense that can keep the Jets in most games, it's really the best the Jets can do right now.

The sad thing is, and this is why I think McElroy should start the rest of the way... Mark Sanchez can learn a lot from sitting behind McElroy. For as long as Sanchez has been in the league, on a team with a great running game and defense for half of his career, he has such poor grasp of game management and that's so fundamental to being a quarterback. All great quarterbacks are game managers first and know how to control a game. McElroy, if nothing else, understands that and should be able to keep the Jets in most games because of it.

I mean, we're playing a game yesterday against a team who is starting probably the worst quarterback that's started in the NFL this year. They were going to find it incredibly difficult to score points. A quarterback on the opposing team should know to be patient and not force the issue, because you may not even need to score more than 10 points to win the game. But Sanchez throws 3 INTs in the first half, two of which were just awful forced throws, and he nearly threw an INT for a TD right before he was benched.

McElroy will improve the Jets' chances of winning the turnover battle, and because the Jets aren't going to be prolific at all on offense that's the next best thing.
GangGreen420

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. Sanchez is always forcing throws and seems so panicked to try and score points, even when its not needed, and it leads to turnovers. He has no feel for the game at all. Its almost as if he is trying too hard.

McElroy should be able to manage games effectively, and use his brain. He is leagues brighter than Sanchez is between the ears.
Heavinsent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Props to Jamison for the sig.
ekill08x

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GangGreen420 wrote:
Exactly. Sanchez is always forcing throws and seems so panicked to try and score points, even when its not needed, and it leads to turnovers. He has no feel for the game at all. Its almost as if he is trying too hard.

McElroy should be able to manage games effectively, and use his brain. He is leagues brighter than Sanchez is between the ears.

This plus hes way more accurate. Sanchez just isnt good. Theres nothing about his game that stands out at all. Im not saying theres anything about McElroys that makes him a stud either, but he can certainly be a serviceable QB for the time being. Sanchez isn't even serviceable. He hurts us more than he helps us.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
Colt45fool

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpt331 wrote:
We played against Ryan Lindley so can we stop with the great defensive performance and all that, he makes Sanchez Look like Peyton Manning for God's sake,
Seriously.

Lindley was absolutely terrible. Even when he had open receivers he couldn't hit them. The Cards OL is top 5 worst, if not THE worst in the league, especially at run blocking...most defenses have been shutting these guys down and it's only easier to do so with Lindley at QB.

Sanchez was ready to throw the game away. McElroy did what we needed him to do and that was manage the game. He didn't win the game for us, but he didn't throw it away either. I guarantee if Sanchez plays the entire game, we lose.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colt45fool wrote:
jpt331 wrote:
Seriously.

Lindley was absolutely terrible. Even when he had open receivers he couldn't hit them. The Cards OL is top 5 worst, if not THE worst in the league, especially at run blocking...most defenses have been shutting these guys down and it's only easier to do so with Lindley at QB.

Sanchez was ready to throw the game away. McElroy did what we needed him to do and that was manage the game. He didn't win the game for us, but he didn't throw it away either. I guarantee if Sanchez plays the entire game, we lose.

Jets still held them to a season low in yards and almost a season low in points. And it would've been even worse had it not been for that fake punt 50 yarder, I think that also gave them 3 more points.

It was a good defensive performance.
GangGreen420

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a question for everyone...

Had we kept Schotty another year, do you think Sanchez would of regressed like he did under Sparano? Statistically, Sanchez got better every year under Schotty. In comes Sparano, total nose dive.

Sparano is the first person I want shown the door next year though. I believe Schotty would of done better even under these circumstances.
Harris Smith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:
Harris Smith wrote:
After thinking about it for a few hours, I think the Jets should name Sanchez the starter on Wednesday.

Don't get me wrong, I was thrilled the decision was made to bench Sanchez today- it was long overdue. Coming off his humiliating performance last week on Thanksgiving you would think he'd respond with a better performance, but this guy almost seems like he doesn't really even care anymore.

I'd like to see how he responds this week, and have him start the game, but on a short leash. I know one thing, if Sanchez doesn't respond to this with good performances on the two road games, he absolutely cannot come back and start again in Metlife this season. If it becomes obvious next Sunday that Sanchez doesn't have it again, then I think this would be the week to take him out for Tebow, and just see what happens.

I would like to see more of McElroy before the season ends, though. If Sanchez can't right his ship, and Tebow can't play, then I hope he gets to start the last two games this year, just to see what his potential could be.

I agree with everything you've said. This is the first time Sanchez has been benched in a game, deservingly so, but if Sanchez can't rebound we are so facked. The entire Jets franchise is on thin ice, and this situation is going to end up being a do-or-die. If Sanchez doesn't start again this year, consider us in the [inappropriate/removed] for a while. There is no way in hell Woody will justify bringing Sanchez back under center in 2013 if he rides the pine for the rest of this season, and with his contract guaranteed he's going to eat up a lot of the Jets cap whether he's here or not. There are no franchise signal callers in this draft (no guarantees in 2014 either) and we already have 5 wins so "tanking" isn't the answer. I'm happy McElroy won us the game and all, but I don't see him as a long-term option.

What needs to happen in order to avoid disaster: Mark Sanchez needs to come back from this and somehow miraculously play great football here on out, or else this team is doomed. So the chances are the team is doomed, but I always hope.

We need to make major changes, and that probably includes the QB. But as I've said before, this team isn't beyond repairing right now. It's been ugly, but somehow Rex has coached this team to 5 wins this year and has had success in the past. If Sanchez fails, everyone is gone. The chances that Revis resigns dwindle to nothing, and our franchise will be set back for possibly another 5 years.

I'm not saying Sanchez is the answer, I'm saying I want to avoid a major blowup. If Sanchez plays another year and still doesn't improve so be it find someone else, but cutting him and blowing the team up will set this team far behind. The Colts are a success story, but they also had Andrew Luck at their fingertips. My strategy would be play out next season. If the Jets piece it together, hooray! If Sanchez remains the problem, draft Derek Carr.

I agree. The FO's main focus has to be to avoid making this situation into such a spectacle that Sanchez can't return from it in NY. As you mention, his contract is such that he almost has to be back next season, so the last thing the Jets need is for Sanchez to react to this in a way which causes the team and/or the fans to completely be done with him. That's why I think the best thing is to see if he can earn some kind of redemption on these road games, and then go with the backups for the last two games for the sake of evaluation.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I think we're close to needing a major blowup anyway, as much as I don't want to admit it.

It won't happen until after next year either way, though.
Colt45fool

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamorange wrote:
Colt45fool wrote:
jpt331 wrote:
Seriously.

Jets still held them to a season low in yards and almost a season low in points. And it would've been even worse had it not been for that fake punt 50 yarder, I think that also gave them 3 more points.

It was a good defensive performance.
That isn't saying much as Lindley is BY FAR the worst QB on the roster and only in his second start....oh and the OL is in its worst shape of the season.

Not saying it wasn't a good defensive performance, but I don't think it was why we won. We won because we scored points. I think on our worse day we hold Lindley and the Cards to under 10 points and 200 yards of offense.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its crazy when you think about it. In the playoffs, Mark was a great manager on offense. But was bad during the regular season. His issues are more mental than physical. It sucks that he didn't pan out. Another early pick down the drain for us.

I hope McElroy is good enough to hold the QB position down for a while.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: