Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Greg McElroy Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will be the Jets QB going forward?
Greg McElroy
75%
 75%  [ 27 ]
Mark Sanchez
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Tim Tebow
16%
 16%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 36

Malik

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamorange wrote:
MoLewis57 wrote:
teamorange wrote:
Colt45fool wrote:

And not just Mark. Guys like Shonn Greene and Joe McKnight as well for failing to PROTECT THE FOOTBALL. These aren't mistakes of talent, but rather mental mistakes of a couple of talented players whom don't think they can lose their job.

Greene has only fumbled it twice this year since week 1 and one of those fumbles was on a failed 4th down conversion, so its not like it mattered, in fact it help our field position. Out of all the complaints of Greene, ball security is not one of them. And McKnight has always had a ball security problem. It is why he is not our running back, not sure what this awakening is but it is nothing new. In fact he has improved his ball security this year.

Colt45fool wrote:
Strange thing happened today and the guys at SNY just brought it up. Greg McElroy took over for Mark Sanchez...and Bilal Powell was receiving key snaps over Shonn Greene. As soon as Greene saw Sanchez get benched he started running like his job was on the line. And it was about damn time. Put these players on notice Rex. No one's job is safe.

Greene had the same YPA pre and post Sanchez.

Can you answer this question for me? Do you watch the games? Or just read some stupid blurbs on the game? From your posts it seems like you don't watch them.

He was running harder tho. Green had a hig run that inflated his numbers pre McElroy

O he was "running harder." Just like Tebow is a "real winner." And for the record, Greene's biggest run came after McElroy came in, so your theory that a big run inflated his state pre McElroy is false. In fact the opposite is true.

And I just got done watching the game, to answer this question. Who cares? McElroy didn't look good, Sanchez hasn't looked good, neither makes a real difference. I guess keep him in to see if he good enough but it didn't show this game.

McElroy only threw ~7 passes so it's far too early to make any judgment of him as a passer.
teamorange

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malik wrote:
teamorange wrote:
MoLewis57 wrote:
teamorange wrote:
Colt45fool wrote:

And not just Mark. Guys like Shonn Greene and Joe McKnight as well for failing to PROTECT THE FOOTBALL. These aren't mistakes of talent, but rather mental mistakes of a couple of talented players whom don't think they can lose their job.

Greene has only fumbled it twice this year since week 1 and one of those fumbles was on a failed 4th down conversion, so its not like it mattered, in fact it help our field position. Out of all the complaints of Greene, ball security is not one of them. And McKnight has always had a ball security problem. It is why he is not our running back, not sure what this awakening is but it is nothing new. In fact he has improved his ball security this year.

Colt45fool wrote:
Strange thing happened today and the guys at SNY just brought it up. Greg McElroy took over for Mark Sanchez...and Bilal Powell was receiving key snaps over Shonn Greene. As soon as Greene saw Sanchez get benched he started running like his job was on the line. And it was about damn time. Put these players on notice Rex. No one's job is safe.

Can you answer this question for me? Do you watch the games? Or just read some stupid blurbs on the game? From your posts it seems like you don't watch them.

He was running harder tho. Green had a hig run that inflated his numbers pre McElroy

O he was "running harder." Just like Tebow is a "real winner." And for the record, Greene's biggest run came after McElroy came in, so your theory that a big run inflated his state pre McElroy is false. In fact the opposite is true.

And I just got done watching the game, to answer this question. Who cares? McElroy didn't look good, Sanchez hasn't looked good, neither makes a real difference. I guess keep him in to see if he good enough but it didn't show this game.

McElroy only threw ~7 passes so it's far too early to make any judgment of him as a passer.

I have seen him in two preseason games, a college career and an NFL game. Never have been impressed. He should've been picked off today and his touchdown my sister could throw that TD. I could throw it right handed (I'm a south paw).
Harris Smith

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After thinking about it for a few hours, I think the Jets should name Sanchez the starter on Wednesday.

Don't get me wrong, I was thrilled the decision was made to bench Sanchez today- it was long overdue. Coming off his humiliating performance last week on Thanksgiving you would think he'd respond with a better performance, but this guy almost seems like he doesn't really even care anymore.

I'd like to see how he responds this week, and have him start the game, but on a short leash. I know one thing, if Sanchez doesn't respond to this with good performances on the two road games, he absolutely cannot come back and start again in Metlife this season. If it becomes obvious next Sunday that Sanchez doesn't have it again, then I think this would be the week to take him out for Tebow, and just see what happens.

I would like to see more of McElroy before the season ends, though. If Sanchez can't right his ship, and Tebow can't play, then I hope he gets to start the last two games this year, just to see what his potential could be.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamorange wrote:
Colt45fool wrote:

Colt45fool wrote:

Most people that rely strictly on stats tend to not watch the games...which is why I consistently question if you actually do so yourself with your high reliance on stats (your endless defense of Kyle Wilson & his success rate, defending blown coverages with phantom Kyle Wilson genius over missed throws; Greene's YPC average as if that's an end all, be all for his ability.) But I digress...

Greene before Sanchez benching: 14 carries, 54 yards, 4.1 YPC
Greene post Sanchez benching: 10 carries, 50 yards, 5.0 YPC

Before continuing with this, let's state the obvious. I didn't really think it was necessary to do so, but Shonn Greene has been pretty bad for most of the season. He has poor vision and very little burst out of the backfield. He's one-dimensional and clearly not a feature back for any team in this league, ideally. He's been running better lately, but it's more flash in the pan than anything else...and quite honestly, I'm not a fan of being back on the Shonn Greene bandwagon because he's strung together a few decent games.

For what it's worth, I worded that paragraph poorly before. Ball security was meant for McKnight/Sanchez and the s/t unit in general. Greene needs to lose snaps for the above reasons mentioned.

As far as todays game, the fact that Greene was more effective on the ground (your stats are above) with 2nd year guy McElroy at QB, when the team is clearly showing run on nearly every single snap...yeah, I'd say the guy played better once he saw Bilal Powell continuing to steal his snaps/touches. If Greene didn't know his job wasn't safe before, he knows now.

Last edited by Colt45fool on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Colt45fool

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harris Smith wrote:
After thinking about it for a few hours, I think the Jets should name Sanchez the starter on Wednesday.

Don't get me wrong, I was thrilled the decision was made to bench Sanchez today- it was long overdue. Coming off his humiliating performance last week on Thanksgiving you would think he'd respond with a better performance, but this guy almost seems like he doesn't really even care anymore.

I'd like to see how he responds this week, and have him start the game, but on a short leash. I know one thing, if Sanchez doesn't respond to this with good performances on the two road games, he absolutely cannot come back and start again in Metlife this season. If it becomes obvious next Sunday that Sanchez doesn't have it again, then I think this would be the week to take him out for Tebow, and just see what happens.

I would like to see more of McElroy before the season ends, though. If Sanchez can't right his ship, and Tebow can't play, then I hope he gets to start the last two games this year, just to see what his potential could be.
I'm 100% with all of this. I love McElroy, but I think this should be used as a wake up call...for Sanchez and the rest of the roster that their jobs are on the line. If Sanchez can't step it up against a porous set of opponents like the Titans/Jags/etc. I think he should be pulled for McElroy. Tebow has no business starting imo.

There's something else i really like about McElroy. He stressed ball security in his press conference and of all the things we need out of the QB position at this point, ball security should be the top priority. So yeah, while I think Sanchez should start next week, I also think McElroy may give us the best chance to win...because hopefully he's as cautious as he says he is.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ball security and running the ball is how we've won games the past 3 years. Keep the D fresh, then eventually they set us up for a score.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good thing is that the Chargers are the only team left that is good against the run on our schedule. So running the ball should be easier . With that, great defense, and smart play by McElroy, we could possibly win out.

Jags - 29th Vs Run
Titans - 27th vs Run
Chargers - 6th vs Run
Bills - 31st Vs Run
Davey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sanchez is going to be around next year. Let the "wake up call" be his spending the rest of the season on the bench, and see how that motivates him to get better over the offseason where he legitimately has to compete for his job in 2013. It was a very small sample size, but McElroy displayed some things today that Sanchez really should be taking note of and learning from. If it takes him sitting on the bench and having to watch McElroy play ahead of him, than so be it.

I was at the game today, and being able to see the entire field I can't stress enough how poor the Jets' weapons in the passing game are. The fundamental difference between Sanchez and McElroy today was how the two handled situations where the play wasn't on. Sanchez doesn't have the clock in his head to know when the play isn't there and to start improvising or just throw the ball away, whereas McElroy showed that much more naturally and scrambled for 2-3 yards or just threw the ball away when there was nothing else available. Whereas Sanchez freezes in the pocket and either takes a sack or makes a poor throw.

McElroy really didn't do anything special today, and frankly he was helped out quite a bit by some crucial penalties by Arizona on both of his key drives. But he gets the importance of not making mistakes and the value of game management, and it was the difference today.
JetsFan15

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey wrote:
Sanchez is going to be around next year. Let the "wake up call" be his spending the rest of the season on the bench, and see how that motivates him to get better over the offseason where he legitimately has to compete for his job in 2013. It was a very small sample size, but McElroy displayed some things today that Sanchez really should be taking note of and learning from. If it takes him sitting on the bench and having to watch McElroy play ahead of him, than so be it.

I was at the game today, and being able to see the entire field I can't stress enough how poor the Jets' weapons in the passing game are. The fundamental difference between Sanchez and McElroy today was how the two handled situations where the play wasn't on. Sanchez doesn't have the clock in his head to know when the play isn't there and to start improvising or just throw the ball away, whereas McElroy showed that much more naturally and scrambled for 2-3 yards or just threw the ball away when there was nothing else available. Whereas Sanchez freezes in the pocket and either takes a sack or makes a poor throw.

McElroy really didn't do anything special today, and frankly he was helped out quite a bit by some crucial penalties by Arizona on both of his key drives. But he gets the importance of not making mistakes and the value of game management, and it was the difference today.

I agree with you 100% on the two highlighted statements. I have been saying the same thing all year regarding our receivers - they are no help to any QB right now. There is no separation, they run the wrong routes and consistently drop passes.

I also agree that Sanchez does not know how to handle this nor does he make them better. I don't think McElroy can make them better either but it does seem that he "knows when to fold 'em" better than Sanchez .. perhaps from growing up at Bama under Saban.

With that said, Sanchez is easily the most talented QB on our roster right now. Unfortunately, he is also the most mistake prone. Stating the obvious, our QB situation is a mess.

I believe Sanchez will be back on the field this year, even next week, for us. I just don't know if it will be as the starter or in relief of McElroy .... one thing is for sure, we will see what kind of mental toughness Sanchez has!!
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:
Ball security and running the ball is how we've won games the past 3 years. Keep the D fresh, then eventually they set us up for a score.

That's the key. Even in the press conference, you can clearly see McElroy lives and breathes situational football. He's not going to make mistakes. Well, maybe, but not many as Sanchez Laughing
jetskid007

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harris Smith wrote:

I agree with everything you've said. This is the first time Sanchez has been benched in a game, deservingly so, but if Sanchez can't rebound we are so facked. The entire Jets franchise is on thin ice, and this situation is going to end up being a do-or-die. If Sanchez doesn't start again this year, consider us in the [inappropriate/removed] for a while. There is no way in hell Woody will justify bringing Sanchez back under center in 2013 if he rides the pine for the rest of this season, and with his contract guaranteed he's going to eat up a lot of the Jets cap whether he's here or not. There are no franchise signal callers in this draft (no guarantees in 2014 either) and we already have 5 wins so "tanking" isn't the answer. I'm happy McElroy won us the game and all, but I don't see him as a long-term option.

What needs to happen in order to avoid disaster: Mark Sanchez needs to come back from this and somehow miraculously play great football here on out, or else this team is doomed. So the chances are the team is doomed, but I always hope.

We need to make major changes, and that probably includes the QB. But as I've said before, this team isn't beyond repairing right now. It's been ugly, but somehow Rex has coached this team to 5 wins this year and has had success in the past. If Sanchez fails, everyone is gone. The chances that Revis resigns dwindle to nothing, and our franchise will be set back for possibly another 5 years.

I'm not saying Sanchez is the answer, I'm saying I want to avoid a major blowup. If Sanchez plays another year and still doesn't improve so be it find someone else, but cutting him and blowing the team up will set this team far behind. The Colts are a success story, but they also had Andrew Luck at their fingertips. My strategy would be play out next season. If the Jets piece it together, hooray! If Sanchez remains the problem, draft Derek Carr.
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tank, tank, tank, we can't even do that right. This team needs some serious work and every game they win makes it that much harder.

McElroy is not the answer. He's a poor mans Chad at best and Chad couldn't get it done. I do think he'll be the starter the rest of the year though even if Tebow is healthy.

Props to Mack on the sig
teamorange

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colt45fool wrote:
Most people that rely strictly on stats tend to not watch the games.

I use stats to support my statements that I observe. I don't strictly use them.

Colt45fool wrote:
Greene before Sanchez benching: 14 carries, 54 yards, 4.1 YPC
Greene post Sanchez benching: 10 carries, 50 yards, 5.0 YPC

Check your math, 54/14 is not 4.1. And you miss counted there were 13 carries during sanchez and 11 after him. Which would put it at like a tenth of a difference and at this low sample point, that means nothing.

Colt45fool wrote:
Before continuing with this, let's state the obvious. I didn't really think it was necessary to do so, but Shonn Greene has been pretty bad for most of the season. He has poor vision and very little burst out of the backfield. He's one-dimensional and clearly not a feature back for any team in this league, ideally. He's been running better lately, but it's more flash in the pan than anything else...and quite honestly, I'm not a fan of being back on the Shonn Greene bandwagon because he's strung together a few decent games.

Ok? I have been for a few years saying that Greene would never be a workhorse back. He could be useful in system but not alone. He does have "sure hands" aka, he is not going to fumble often.

Colt45fool wrote:
As far as todays game, the fact that Greene was more effective on the ground (your stats are above) with 2nd year guy McElroy at QB, when the team is clearly showing run on nearly every single snap...yeah, I'd say the guy played better once he saw Bilal Powell continuing to steal his snaps/touches. If Greene didn't know his job wasn't safe before, he knows now.

Or it could be the fact that their defense has been on the field for 35 min and was worn down. That last drive you could tell their defense didn't want to be there anymore and were so sluggish. Or it could be Greg McElroy who could've been picked off twice. Who knows?
teamorange

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, can we stop saying McElroy lead us to victory? It was the defense and the ground game that did. McElroy was just the QB.
green24

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamorange wrote:
By the way, can we stop saying McElroy lead us to victory? It was the defense and the ground game that did. McElroy was just the QB.

He didn't lose the game, which is what Sanchez was doing for 2.5 quarters.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: