Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Zephiel's "Hey, At Least We're Not 3-13" Mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zephiel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Zephiel's "Hey, At Least We're Not 3-13" Mock Reply with quote

The Vikings got off to an unexpected strong start this year, beginning the season 4-2. However, they fail to build up enough confidence to best their insanely tough second half schedule and make the playoffs, and finish off the year 7-9. They did enough to show promise, however, and give fans hope they haven't seen since before the 2010 season began.

Remainder of the Schedule Predictions:
@ Green Bay – L
vs. Chicago – L
@ St. Louis - W
@ Houston – L
vs. Green Bay – L

Final Record: 7-9
The Minnesota Vikings are given the 13th pick in the 2013 NFL draft.

Free Agency
RB Matt Asiata – resigned. Solid 3rd string runner.
FB Jerome Felton – resigned. His play has been unexpectedly great. We need to lock him up.
WR Jerome Simpson – not resigned. We saw what we can get out of him, he's too inconsistent. I'm not knocking the move by Spielman though, it was low risk.
WR Devin Aromashodu – not resigned. Inconsistent deep “threat,” more snaps were given to Stephen Burton this season.
OL Phil Loadholt – resigned. finally building. Would create a hole at RT if we let him go.
OL Geoff Schwartz – resigned. Rotational guy, can play many positions.
OL Joe Berger – not resigned, doesn't offer a lot we can't get from a younger guy.
OL Mark Asper - not resigned. not sure who this is.
DT Kevin Williams – resigned. This was a tough one. Spielman might look to get younger, but it's hard to fill every hole in one offseason. If he can take a team-friendly deal, I think he'd stick around. Williams is still playing at a high level, so why create another hole? From what I'm hearing from the press, he is also a leader in that locker room. I say he we get an affordable contract for him.
LB Erin Henderson – resigned. Good player, needs to stick around.
LB Jasper Brinkley – not resigned. Maybe we bring him in as a depth guy, but he hasn't exactly shown greatness this season.
LB Marvin Mitchell – not resigned. Depth guy but little else.
LB Tyrone McKenzie – not resigned. this guy is not really relevant.
CB AJ Jefferson – resigned. Shows promise in chris cook's absence.
CB Marcus Sherels – resigned. Growing into a good punt returner.
S Jamarca Sanford – resigned. Great special teamer and it looks like he might prove all of us wrong at safety.
S Andrew Sendejo - not resigned. Good special teamer, but beat out by other guys who make bigger impacts.

Other Moves
TE John Carlson restructures – maybe this is wishful thinking. He's really expensive but I'm willing to give him another shot.
WR Percy Harvin – contract extension. Pay da man. He should see the big bucks.
DE Jared Allen extended – contract extension. He's having an off year but he's still a stud.
WR Michael Jenkins – cut. Need to get younger, he's not really helping.

Free Agent Signings
WR Mike Wallace

Pittsburgh may not be able to pay him what he would get on the franchise tag due to cap constraints. Wallace is exactly what this offense needs: a deep threat that will make the opposing defense respect the pass. He'll do all sorts of things, and in addition to being great by himself, he'll help Peterson, Harvin, and Rudolph get more opportunities.

NT Terrance Knighton

I figure we can get Pot Roast on a cheap, “prove it” type deal. He does have some issues with conditioning but I think he can be this year's Jerome Simpson: someone who doesn't get a whole lot of interest in the offseason that we take a chance on.

2013 NFL Draft
Round 1, Pick 13 – WR Keenan Allen, California

Keenan Allen is a perfect fit for this offense and my favorite prospect this draft. Great size, build up speed, separation ability, amazing YAC skills, quickness for his size, ball skills. Reminds me a bit of Brandon Marshall, without the character issues. He's a future stud and the #1 receiver we need.

TRADE! The Minnesota Vikings trade their second and third round picks to move to pick 29 in the first round.
Round 1, Pick 29 – LB CJ Mosely, Alabama

The Vikings need a coverage linebacker to make this defense work. Mosely is truly special in coverage, something we haven't seen in a long time. Spielman needs a starter at LB and he goes out and gets one.

Round 4, Pick 9 (from Detroit) – S Kenny Ladler, Vanderbilt

We need to find the safety of the future opposite Harrison Smith. Maybe Ladler can be that guy. Ladler is a gritty, tough player who has been one of the most consistent players on Vandy's roster. He's got great instincts, and that's something I like in my safeties.

TRADE! The Minnesota Vikings trade their second fourth round pick for an extra sixth and a fourth round pick in next year's draft.
Rick “Wheelin' and Dealin'” Spielman likes to have flexibility in drafts, even future ones. This is something I think he'd do.

Round 5, Pick 13 – WR Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech

Let's be honest, we need a ton of upgrades at the wide receiver spot this offseason. Patton finishes our WR overhaul. Patton was a productive guy at Louisiana Tech, registering at least 1000 yards and 75 receptions his two years there. He played for two years at a community college so it's likely he's raw but his production makes him worth a look in the 5th.

Round 6, Pick 13 – G Blaize Foltz, TCU

We need more competition at the guard spot. Charlie Johnson hasn't been stellar. Geoff Schwartz and Johnson can compete for one spot, and Fusco and Foltz can compete for another. Also, his name is Blaize, like how cool is that?

Round 6, Pick 24 – LB/S Kenny Tate, Maryland

Kenny Tate has injury concerns, but he's worth a shot here in the 6th. He was a tweener in college but he can at least be a worthwhile special teamer here.

Round 7, Pick 13 - Practice squad player. I haven't done a whole lot of research yet on small school guys but this spot should be filled by a high-upside developmental guy that will most likely end up on our practice squad.

Depth Chart (bold is new addition):
QB: 7 Ponder – 14 Webb – 4 Bethel-Thompson
RB: 28 Peterson – 32 Gerhart – 48 Asiata
WRX: 87 Wallace – 84 Patton
WRZ: 12 Harvin – 17 Wright
TE1: 82 Rudolph – 40 Ellison
LT: 75 Kalil – 73 Love
LG: 74 Johnson – 76 Schwartz
C: 65 Sullivan – 63 Fusco
RG: 63 Fusco – 66 Foltz
RT: 71 Loadholt – 74 Johnson
TE2: 89 Carlson
WRY: 81 Allen – 11 Burton
LE: 96 Robison – 91 Reed
DT: 93 Williams – 99 Ballard
NT: 95 Knighton – 98 Guion – 90 Evans
RE: 69 Allen – 97 Griffen
OLB: 52 Greenway – 51 Dean
ILB: 55 Mosley – 57 Cole
OLB: 50 Henderson – 56 Tate
CB: 20 Cook – 24 Jefferson
NCB: 26 Winfield – 35 Sherels
FS: 22 Smith – 41 Raymond
SS: 33 Sanford – 31 Ladler – 36 Blanton
CB: 21 Robinson – 27 Burton
K: 3 Walsh
P: 5 Kluwe
LS: 46 Loeffler
KR: 12 Harvin – 35 Sherels
PR: 35 Sherels – 81 Allen
this providence

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I continue to have huge, huge issues with going out and signing the top (or one of the top) FA WRs only to then go out and add another receiver in the first round.

There's only so many people who can touch the ball in this offense. Peterson will always get his, Harvin has multiple plays specifically designed to get the ball in his hands, you have the team bringing in an elite FA WR, and then you have Rudolph who is a favorite target. I don't see why/how a 1st round rookie receiver fits into that equation. Seems like you're not properly using the few assets the team has to fill the multiple needs the team has. Just my take, though.

Like your general direction that you've taken, especially the trade up to get Mosley. Just can't get behind a mock that gets Wallace in FA only to draft a WR with their top asset.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with this providence. With so many other big holes on the team, spending that many assets on WRs doesn't seem especially prudent, especially since with Patton in the 5ht (mocking Marcus Davis here would probably be more realistic).

Going into next off season with a O-Line situation the same* is a big mistake, IMO, so I'd switch Keenan Allen with either Warmack or Barrett Jones in the 1st (with the added benefit of continuing Spielman's draft in bulk from a school strategy).

Edit:

*Another really late round OG isn't going to help much.

Edit 2:

Quote:
TRADE! The Minnesota Vikings trade their second fourth round pick for an extra sixth and a fourth round pick in next year's draft.
Rick “Wheelin' and Dealin'” Spielman likes to have flexibility in drafts, even future ones. This is something I think he'd do.

This trade makes zero sense to me, and seems to be really terrible value. With the depth at positions of need in this draft class, moving a 4th just to get an extra 6th next year is ridiculously short sighted. There's a good chance we could get someone like Gerald Hodges or Baccari Rambo there.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, too many WRs. If a top free agent WR is added, there is no use in spending a first round pick on a third WR. Unless you want Harvin to see the field less, which makes no sense.

Instead of Keenan Allen, give the team more defense or a OG.
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defanseor OG un round 1, and this is a great offseason. Must get an OG early, this line is bad.
Zephiel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the game in Lambeau change anyone's minds? The defense had some problems stopping the run, sure, and Podner didn't have the cleanest pocket all day but the biggest problem was by far the receiving corps. We didn't complete a pass to a receiver until there were 2 minutes left in the game.

None of the receivers on the roster that aren't Percy Harvin can get open. This is far and away the biggest problem on this team. Jerome Simpson shouldn't have the role he has. Devin Aromashodu and Michael Jenkins can't contribute in the NFL at all. Wright is still raw and Childs is still hurt. More than ANY other position we need difference makers at WR.
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. If you sign Wallace, I still want defense or OG in round one. Actuall, i think i want defense even more. Assuming i do not start to love a qb....
AQuintus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zephiel wrote:
Did the game in Lambeau change anyone's minds? The defense had some problems stopping the run, sure, and Podner didn't have the cleanest pocket all day but the biggest problem was by far the receiving corps. We didn't complete a pass to a receiver until there were 2 minutes left in the game.

None of the receivers on the roster that aren't Percy Harvin can get open. This is far and away the biggest problem on this team. Jerome Simpson shouldn't have the role he has. Devin Aromashodu and Michael Jenkins can't contribute in the NFL at all. Wright is still raw and Childs is still hurt. More than ANY other position we need difference makers at WR.

Not really. There with Rudolph and Peterson out there, there won't be many times where we have more than 3 WRs out on the field, and plenty where we have less than 3. Wallace + Harvin equals 2, and we also have Wright who looks good.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

our biggest weakness is still QB. Crying or Very sad

but nice draft!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: