Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Defense for 2013/14
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Defense for 2013/14 Reply with quote

Thoughts on firing Ryan, hiring Kiffin and switching to a tampa 2 4-3?

Sean Lee amd Bruce Carter have the speed and ability to play a tampa 2 and with our personel we would have a solid 4 man front with Ware at DE, Ratliff and Hatcher at UT, Lissemore and Brent at NT and Spencer at DE.

Biggest questions would be where guys like Crawford fit. We would likely need an OLB with Lee playing Will amd Carter at Mike.

Thoughts?

Sig courtesy of mack.
cboysfaninWI

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont like it. We have straight up man cover corners, and our safeties arent anywhere near good enough to play that kind of defense. We dont have that dominating 3 technique that is so essential for that scheme either. We would need a major overhaul of personnel for that switch and I feel like if this team is progressing anywhere it is actually on defense. I would keep going with what we got.

Calvert28 wrote "Kendall Hunter>>>DeMarco Murray"
htfryar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A defense that plays a lot of 4-3, yes. A Tampa 2, not so much. Like cboysfaninWI said, our Safeties aren't up to the task and our CB's are more suited to a man cover scheme. We just spent a lkot of money fixing our secondary, why make it a weak spot after just 1 year?

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
JWingate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why fire Rob Ryan? You guys have one of the best defenses in the league even though there are some injuries to very good players. Next season Claiborne will be even better along with Lee and Carter. Am I missing something here?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Why fire Rob Ryan? You guys have one of the best defenses in the league even though there are some injuries to very good players. Next season Claiborne will be even better along with Lee and Carter. Am I missing something here?

Nope. Had we not suffered a bunch of injuries, we'd be a Top 10 defense. Rob Ryan has done his job and deserves to stay.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
Nope. Had we not suffered a bunch of injuries, we'd be a Top 10 defense. Rob Ryan has done his job and deserves to stay.

That's what I figured, Ryan is doing a very good job with this defense. The safeties were pathetic last game biting on PAs but RG3 does that to a lot of teams. Cowboys defense has single handily won a lot of games or kept them in the game as the offense has been very inconsistent.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be Ok with moving to a 43, just not Kiffin's version. Maybe we'll get a chance to see it happen, I think RoR will get a few sniffs at one of the HC spots that come up once season ends.

Bob Sturm wrote:
If you expect me to stop rooting against Philadelphia, their fans, or their football team, then lower your expectations. It won't happen.
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

Not to mention, how bad would it be next year. If we're lucky, we draft two of Warmack/Jones/Cooper. That said, they are still rookies. Switching the defense formation will also have it's growing pains. I say leave the D alone.
pierrepet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

The only complaint I have is the lack of turnovers. For whatever, reason, this defense (even before Ryan) is unable to force turnovers. Without them, this team cannot win with any consistency.

I also dislike some of Ryan's game plan's this season, especially against the rookie QB's we have faced. Consistently sending only 3 pass rushers against Weeden was a huge mistake in my opinion.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're 20th in points and we were average before injuries to Lee and Carter

We are near dead last in turnovers produced

We have way too many plays a game where the D isn't lined up, the right personnel isn't on the field or comes running in last second - it's asinine.

Sig courtesy of mack.
Tony7188

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
We're 20th in points and we were average before injuries to Lee and Carter

We are near dead last in turnovers produced

We have way too many plays a game where the D isn't lined up, the right personnel isn't on the field or comes running in last second - it's asinine.

When did this happen when Lee and Carter was on the field? Because it wasn't that often.

As for the turnovers, I think if we can get a playmaking S or really good 3-4 NT then we would see the turnovers increase.

ware94 wrote:
Gameball: Any remaining Cowboys fans.
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firing Rob Ryan? no.

switching to a 4-3 tampa? no.

switching to a 4-3? no.

Rob Ryan is doing a great job with a lot of injuries and still overall some lack of talent on D line and safety. The reason why we are not rated higher in regards to stats is because we got a offence who does not have a clue about how to stay on the field.

I don't like our safeties in a Tampa.

How do you know if Spencer will be able to hold up against the run with his hand in the ground every single down?

our LB'er corps kicked [inappropriate/removed] in their limited time all together. I would like us to still use the 3-4 most of the time. Would I mind if we continued to show a lot of 4-3 looks? hell no, especially if we could draft Porter. But the 3-4 should be our primary defence. If not broken, why fix it? No reason to confuse the players by changing scheme again, and this time to something completely different. They have really settled in this year.
- Also have my doubts about how the players would react if we fired Rob.. He's a players coach. Also, his assistants would probably follow him again. I wouldn't like that since both Ebeflus and Robinson has showed that they are great coaches. Those three combined gives us what I think is one of the best defensive coaching staff's in the league.

We doesnt have a lot of turnovers, no. We didnt have before either, but we are getting more players with big play ability. Sean Lee has, sadly he has been injured most of the season. Claiborne has it also, but I think that right now he is more concentrating about adjusting to the NFL and keep his man covered. Matt Johnson stats indicates that he has as well. But you also have to realize that we haven't had that many opportunities really. Why? a big part of it is because we got no pressure on the opposing QB.
When our D line starts adding pressure, push the pocket and hopefully even get their hands up in the passinglanes then we will see a lot of turnovers because we are starting to have some ballhawks on the field.

The biggest complain I got about Rob Ryan is that he isn't forcing that D line to get their hands up in the passing lane as they do in Houston. But well, most teams in the NFL doesnt..
roysmyboy31

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think our D has been solid for most of the year before we got decimated by injuries. No real need to fix it. I'm not a big fan of the Tampa 2 scheme either. And we don't have the personnel for that anyway. We have enough issues to fix without overhauling our defensive scheme.
MLB: New York Yankees
College Basketball: NC State Wolfpack
Soccer: FC Bayern Munich
Northland

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding some impact safties will become a priority if we switch to the Tampa 2.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: