Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

PFT live with Mike Florio featured Joe Banner-Reset button.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gmer47brown

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: PFT live with Mike Florio featured Joe Banner-Reset button. Reply with quote

Good interview Florio asked Banner all the questions and concerns that we all feel.

Banner said relationship with Heckert is good and they have always worked great together.

Like we've heard in year's past he will evaluate his job in January and make a decision.

They impression that Florio got as well did I was that in all of Banner's comments he kept using key words. Like erasing a chalk board, clean slate and new foundation.

Florio made the comment that it sounds like he wants to press the reset button but "Feels it'll only happen one more time"

Florio also mentioned that he didn't like how Heckert was publicly vying to keep his job and that a switch to a 3-4 is in the realm of possibility.

Other than that Banner answered all questions as politically as possible.

Not happy is we blow things up.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linkity:

http://hqplayer.nbcsports.com/Player.html?PID=86

It will happen some day. Not sure when.
Drew_Carey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: PFT live with Mike Florio featured Joe Banner-Reset butt Reply with quote

gmer47brown wrote:
Good interview Florio asked Banner all the questions and concerns that we all feel.

Banner said relationship with Heckert is good and they have always worked great together.

Like we've heard in year's past he will evaluate his job in January and make a decision.

They impression that Florio got as well did I was that in all of Banner's comments he kept using key words. Like erasing a chalk board, clean slate and new foundation.

Florio made the comment that it sounds like he wants to press the reset button but "Feels it'll only happen one more time"

Florio also mentioned that he didn't like how Heckert was publicly vying to keep his job and that a switch to a 3-4 is in the realm of possibility.

Other than that Banner answered all questions as politically as possible.

Not happy is we blow things up.

easy way to make sure that happens....

give the next guy you hire a 10 year contract with all guaranteed money.

as for the clean slate, like I said when Holmgren came in, we dont need to wipe out everything. use a scalpel - not a nuke.
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3-4 scares the bejesus out of me. And pisses me off.

Agree with Drew, small things must be changed, not full scale blow up.

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
buno67

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
3-4 scares the bejesus out of me. And pisses me off.

Agree with Drew, small things must be changed, not full scale blow up.

going to a 3-4 again scares me as well

do we have some pieces for the 3-4? yes we do. are any of those LBs?nope not really lol

Rubin and Taylor could make for some good DL for the 3-4. both seem athletic enough to play the NT or the 5. Rucker could make for a good 5 with his size. We all saw what DJax looks like as a ILB in the 3-4. Doesnt have the size for it. He was always getting hurt playing the 3-4. He is made for a 4-3 ILB. Sheard could possibly play LB. Secondary is fine, doesnt matter really if the front 7 infront of them is a 3-4 or a 4-3.

staying 4-3 allows us to keep needs on defense down. for our defense now we need FS, 1x CB, 1x OLB, and 1x DE, if we go to a 3-4 we will need FS, 1x CB, 3LBs, and possibly 1x DE

our defensive unit is playing well as a 4-3, and if Juroron got a draft where the 1st pick was defensive player (give him a new toy to play with) the defense could make leaps of improvement.

I think Banner needs to give this coaching staff time. I honestly think Banner might give Shurmur time because of the relationship they have. Banner was with the eagles from 95-2012 and Shurmur was with the eagles from 99-2008. So Banner was with Shurmur his entire career at the eagles. I think there is a chance that Banner keeps shurmur.

everyone wants to know Banners relationship with Heckert but I really wanna know what Banners relationship with Shurmur. I honestly like Shurmur a lot as a coach. yes he has mistakes but he is going to have growing pains. Usually rookie coaches can hide those growing pains beause they have vets on the field that know better but with Shurmur he came to the browns as a rookie and had no real vets on the team to make his life any easier.

I want to see what this team can do as they gain experience and I wanna see what Shurmur can do as he gains experience too
DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not advocating for it but I think the Browns have 6 out of 7 positions of a 34 D.

34DE Taylor Winn Hughes Rucker
NT Rubin Kitchen
34 OLB Shread Stephens
34 ILB DQ JMJ Gocong Fort Robinson

need at OLB

Just sayin

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
Drew_Carey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgSoldier wrote:
not advocating for it but I think the Browns have 6 out of 7 positions of a 34 D.

NT Rubin Kitchen
34 OLB Shread Stephens

need at OLB

Just sayin

I agree about the DL, but I doubt any of the LBs are able to transition properly to a 3-4. Maybe its because how bad it looked years ago, but I want nothing to do with changing to a 3-4.

Seriously, this defense right now is 3, maybe 4 spots away from being a seriously good defense! DE, WLB, CB, and FS. MOving to a 3-4 will not make that list any shorter, but it could make it MUCH longer. This coming offseason every hole on this Defense could be addressed and the Browns could go into next year with the best defense in the AFC North if it is done right...

Last edited by Drew_Carey on Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
kelbot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgSoldier wrote:

NT Rubin Kitchen
34 OLB Shread Stephens

need at OLB

Just sayin

Going to the 3/4 exposes DQ, Winn, and Sheard's biggest weaknesses.

I don't want DQ taking on guards, Winn sealing an edge instead of penetrating, or Sheard in coverage. Not to mention the transition time.

Florio's speculation and Banner's veiled words mean nothing. 100% dependent upon who the coach and gm is.
DawgX

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kelbot wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:

NT Rubin Kitchen
34 OLB Shread Stephens

need at OLB

Just sayin

Going to the 3/4 exposes DQ, Winn, and Sheard's biggest weaknesses.

I don't want DQ taking on guards, Winn sealing an edge instead of penetrating, or Sheard in coverage. Not to mention the transition time.

Florio's speculation and Banner's veiled words mean nothing. 100% dependent upon who the coach and gm is.

Winn likely wouldn't be as good in the 3-4, but I think he'd be fine. He would just come in on passing situations. The starting DEs would be Hughes & Taylor.

Overall, I agree that the Browns' personnel is much better suited for the 4-3. They have some players who would likely be fine in the 3-4, but they're all better fits in the 4-3. Cleveland's defense is pretty close to being very good in the 4-3, so I don't see why they'd want to switch to the 3-4.

Smack on the sig.
Ether

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgSoldier wrote:

NT Rubin Kitchen
34 OLB Shread Stephens

need at OLB

Just sayin

I really don't see Taylor as a 3-4 DE at all. Nor Rubin, nor Hughes. We'd have 4 NTs.
candyman93

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ether wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:

NT Rubin Kitchen
34 OLB Shread Stephens

need at OLB

Just sayin

I really don't see Taylor as a 3-4 DE at all. Nor Rubin, nor Hughes. We'd have 4 NTs.

Rubin is a NT, true. Phil can be a 3-4 DE. Hughes would be a backup NT.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: PFT live with Mike Florio featured Joe Banner-Reset butt Reply with quote

Drew_Carey wrote:

as for the clean slate, like I said when Holmgren came in, we dont need to wipe out everything. use a scalpel - not a nuke.

Not only are you absolutely correct. That is exactly what well run organizations will do. Hence, they will evaluate everything at the end of the year.

There really is not much of a chance that they will (or should) find that everything (or even most everything) needs "blown up".

It was hard for me to post in the "Weeden gone at the end of the year" thread without losing it. That is just ridiculous hyperbole.

Heckert? maybe, no idea
Shurmur? depends on his season this year
Jauron? same
Childress? same
vet players? same
rookie draft picks? c'mon, don't be stupid people

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgSoldier wrote:

NT Rubin Kitchen
34 OLB Shread Stephens

need at OLB

Just sayin

But we have about nobody besides Rubin who would actually play well in the 3-4. Let's talk about what needs to happen to make the front 7 better in a 4-3 scheme. For instance, how good will JMJ, Fort, Robinson, Winn, Hughes, Sheard, Rubin, DQ, and Taylor be next year?

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see it, we do have some personnel to switch to a 3-4, but why switch when we've started to build something good in a 4-3? We have a huge strength at DT when Taylor comes back and a very solid end in Sheard. We're one good starter at DE away from having a very good defensive line with some solid depth. I'm afraid that switching to 3-4 would set us back, and I'm not sure how Sheard would project. there's no reason to take a chance on switching systems when it's unknown how some of our talented guys are going to adjust. The only chance he'd really have would be switching to OLB. At linebacker, we would have to revamp the entire group to run a 3-4. And, we already know that our best linebacker doesn't project well in 3-4. There's no need for a new system. I'd like to see us do what the Giants have done and add some guys on the defensive line. Adding a stud opposite of Sheard, along with a healthy Taylor, would instantly make our defensive line a dominant force, as a 4-3.
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best linebacker on the team, a team captain and the team's union rep, is flourishing in the 4-3.

This is year one of five years, $42.5 million, with $19 million in guarantees and bonuses for D'Qwell.

Changing defenses just would be a bad move at this point. Tom Heckert was drafting and signing 4-3 players when we were still a 3-4 in 2010.

If he gets another offseason to further build this defense through the draft and bolster the offense through free agnecy, this team is on schedule to contend at a time when the perrenial powers in the division are waning defensively.

It would be a shame if he doesn't get the chance.

http://dontfireheckert.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: