Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is this defense one of the best we have ever had?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bbgar


Joined: 14 Jan 2008
Posts: 1367
Location: El Paso Texas via Puerto Rico
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Is this defense one of the best we have ever had? Reply with quote

Those of you who have seen more of the Broncos defenses of the past, is this team defense one of the better ones. Would love to have this topic have us comparing the original orange crush and the 98-99 defenses that helped win Super Bowls
_________________
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii301/legendsOFanime/FOOTBALL/ffmd2011dirofcollegescouting.gif
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AKRNA


Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 5082
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this defense one of the best we have ever had? Reply with quote

bbgar wrote:
Those of you who have seen more of the Broncos defenses of the past, is this team defense one of the better ones. Would love to have this topic have us comparing the original orange crush and the 98-99 defenses that helped win Super Bowls


It'd be right up there with the D of the mid-late 70's. Close, but not quite.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
broncosfan07


Joined: 21 Feb 2007
Posts: 15052
Location: Denver
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1977 defense statistically is the best. But you have to consider they played less games, less teams . The defenses of 1977 wouldn't be able to stop today's offenses.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DiehardBronxFan


Joined: 03 Apr 2010
Posts: 1554
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan07 wrote:
The 1977 defense statistically is the best. But you have to consider they played less games, less teams . The defenses of 1977 wouldn't be able to stop today's offenses.


Possibly true, but you have to judge each for the era they played in, against the competition of the time.

This is certainly one of the better defenses I can remember in my 40+ years of watching the Broncos (that I have conscious memory of Wink )

But there is no question that the Defenses of the late 70's, especially the 77 team, was more dominant. This is a very good, very balanced, very disciplined defense. But, with all due respect to Champ, who I love, but who is no longer th Champ of 5 years ago, there is really only 1 dominant player on this Defense - Von. While they are good against the run, they are no great. They benefit greatly from playing ahead most of the time (which is of course what they are built for).

The 77 team had truly great players at every level, and they were single handedly winning games with Craig Morton at Quarterback. I will say that again: they were 12-2 with Craig Morton at Quarterback.

Lyle Alzado, Rubin Carter, Barney chavous, Randy Gradishar, Tom Jackson, Bob Swenson, Billy Thompson, Louis Wright. That defense was truly awesome.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jsthomp2007


Joined: 11 Jan 2008
Posts: 7136
Location: USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the best I have seen. Those '97/'98 defenses were pretty good. The thing about those teams is that the Broncos offense had already put the games out of reach by half-time.

This defense is winning games for the Broncos.
_________________
Ninja stealth muggers in the Bellagio has left me in a state of congitive disonance...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AKRNA


Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 5082
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DiehardBronxFan wrote:
broncosfan07 wrote:
The 1977 defense statistically is the best. But you have to consider they played less games, less teams . The defenses of 1977 wouldn't be able to stop today's offenses.


Possibly true, but you have to judge each for the era they played in, against the competition of the time.

This is certainly one of the better defenses I can remember in my 40+ years of watching the Broncos (that I have conscious memory of Wink )

But there is no question that the Defenses of the late 70's, especially the 77 team, was more dominant. This is a very good, very balanced, very disciplined defense. But, with all due respect to Champ, who I love, but who is no longer th Champ of 5 years ago, there is really only 1 dominant player on this Defense - Von. While they are good against the run, they are no great. They benefit greatly from playing ahead most of the time (which is of course what they are built for).

The 77 team had truly great players at every level, and they were single handedly winning games with Craig Morton at Quarterback. I will say that again: they were 12-2 with Craig Morton at Quarterback.

Lyle Alzado, Rubin Carter, Barney chavous, Randy Gradishar, Tom Jackson, Bob Swenson, Billy Thompson, Louis Wright. That defense was truly awesome.


We're on the same page. That defense was dominant. Maybe their best performance was in a losing cause in the SB. Despite 8 turnovers and only 150 yds from the offense, Denver was in that game into the 4th quarter. With that terrible an offensive performance it should have been a blowout.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JerseysFinest27


Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Posts: 8174
Location: New Jersey... Props to inDENguise on the sig
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:
It is the best I have seen. Those '97/'98 defenses were pretty good. The thing about those teams is that the Broncos offense had already put the games out of reach by half-time.

This defense is winning games for the Broncos.

+1 my sensible brother
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JRebar913


Joined: 11 Mar 2012
Posts: 989
Location: Kansas City
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im 24 and this is the best broncos defense i have ever seen play. week in and week out they are consistent. they had flaws early in the year and they worked very hard to fix them and it is showing. please stay del rio Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
champ+jay+al=SB


Joined: 10 Mar 2007
Posts: 15459
Location: Boulder
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean the thing that really blows me away is that I thought (and I think many did) that this unit was going to be average, if not below average. You have to look at Derek Wolfe, Wesley Woodyard, Tony Carter, Chris Harris, and Rahim Moore and how they have stepped up. We expected great things from Champ and Von, but the emergence of these guys had made the difference. This unit is playing great football.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AKRNA


Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 5082
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:


This defense is winning games for the Broncos.


Thats the important part. I think this is a better unit than in our SB years, but still not on a par with the original Orange Crush.

Those "D"s won games also. The 77 team allowed 10 ppg average, held 13 of 14 opponents to 14 points or less and 7 games 7 points or less.

In short, they were dominant. The offense turned the ball over about twice a game, but that was okay. A ball hawking D got about 3 turnovers per game.

They were fun to watch and as Diehard mentioned, Denver won in spite of it's offense, not because of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
broncosfan07


Joined: 21 Feb 2007
Posts: 15052
Location: Denver
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This years defense has a chance to be the first Denver defense since 2005 to hold opponents to less than 300 points. We sit currently at 274 with 2 horrific offenses left so its possible.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Winder23


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 4208
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan07 wrote:
This years defense has a chance to be the first Denver defense since 2005 to hold opponents to less than 300 points. We sit currently at 274 with 2 horrific offenses left so its possible.
And I know they know that too. They are playing for a place in history for sure. They remind alot of the early to mid 80's Broncos defenses. Real good in coverage and real good at rushing the passer and pretty good at stopping the run. It isn't like the dominant Broncos defenses of the late 70's, but it is still a very high level of football. Good at everything great at nothing. That is what this Broncos team is, and it is very complimentary.
_________________
GO BRONCOS!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jsthomp2007


Joined: 11 Jan 2008
Posts: 7136
Location: USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
jsthomp2007 wrote:


This defense is winning games for the Broncos.


Thats the important part. I think this is a better unit than in our SB years, but still not on a par with the original Orange Crush.

Those "D"s won games also. The 77 team allowed 10 ppg average, held 13 of 14 opponents to 14 points or less and 7 games 7 points or less.

In short, they were dominant. The offense turned the ball over about twice a game, but that was okay. A ball hawking D got about 3 turnovers per game.

They were fun to watch and as Diehard mentioned, Denver won in spite of it's offense, not because of it.



I heard about the 77 team. I was a fetus back then; way more than a sperm and/or an egg at that point, so I heard things man. I heard about that team. When Jim Turner kicked, I kicked. I was there man sucking in my mom's chips and salsa...and a little bit of kool aide. You gotta love the 70's...I miss the '70's.
_________________
Ninja stealth muggers in the Bellagio has left me in a state of congitive disonance...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dawgsfan


Joined: 07 Jan 2005
Posts: 2789
Location: VA, but the heart is in Athens GA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i always liked your 91 team's defense.

atwater, mecklenburg, traylor, croel was DROY, braxton at CB and simon fletcher getting sacks...
_________________
Justo wrote: Hyperbole is three syllables. "Big words". Georgia edumacation just told y'all how to spell the smallerer words like d-a-w-g, huh?

Texasmade wrote: Your reading comprehension skills would embarrass a potatoe.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lomaxgr


Joined: 30 Dec 2006
Posts: 20968
Location: Manchester, England
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't know why teams aren't trying to run against our Nickel package. Since Keith Brooking became our MLB in our base 4-3, our base unit has been stellar against the run. Maybe coincidence, but true nonetheless. I still worry every time I see a stretch play against our Nickel so I have no idea why teams don't do this more often.

That said, major props to our Defense. Jack Del Rio is putting our guys in the best position for them to succeed and we are playing really well right now. I still worry about TE's (Mike Adams isn't the worst man coverage Safety, but he is average at best) but if we can stop the run like we have been doing, we will be in every single Football game.
_________________


MUFC OK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group