Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Atwater, TD, Mecklenburg HOF '13 Semifinalist
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RazorStar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davis probably deserves it more than Craig or Bettis, but there are too many players that should get in over TD, as much as I loved watching him dominate the league.

Atwater needs to get in soon, he's definitely earned it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
It's more the hall of "decent and durable". Just watch, Bettis will get in while TD is told he didn't play long enough.

Lynch will get in and Atwater won't. Same thing, decent and durable.

Just my opinion.

The HOF doesn't work perfectly, but i really don't have a problem with durability and longevity playing a key role.

I am probably one of the few Bronco fans that thinks this, but i don't think Terrell Davis is Hall of Fame worthy for the fact that he only really played 4 years of football. He was great during that time, but 4 years of playing at that level isn't enough, IMO. I mean, the Titans Chris Johnson would be darn close to cementing a spot in the HOF by those standards.

Your done. What has chris johnson done in the Playoffs and Super Bowl? Nothing.
Russell2Bailey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
Russell2Bailey wrote:
Please tell me that your major part of reasoning is career length. Which is the only one that makes any sense and is arguable.

Career length, not to mention the fact that he literally had a dominant offensive line. He was an excellent player, you know, Jamal Charles is an excellent player right now with the Chiefs. You won't see me hyping him as a Hall of Famer player. And yeah I know some Broncos fans will be mad at that comparison.

It's frankly insulting to put Terrell Davis in the same class as guys like Emmit Smith or Barry Sanders. Those were the dominant backs of those days. Terrell Davis was a flash in the pan. But then again the HOF is mostly about statistical accomplishments anyway. Curtis Martin is in there and he was never anything more than a solid back. Maybe one day Jamal Lewis will be talked up as a HOF player, after all he had a 2,000 yard season as well. What a joke.

Put Tom Nalen in the hall.

Emmit Smith had an even more dominant line than we did. No one is saying Davis is in the same class as Barry Sanders. The only similarity between Lewis and Davis is a Ring and 2000 yards.

Career length is the ONLY reason Davis shouldn't/won't be in the Hall.
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell2Bailey wrote:
Emmit Smith had an even more dominant line than we did.

Nonsense. Emmit Smith may have had a more hyped line than the Broncos did but he by no means had a more dominant line. We absolutely destroyed every Defensive Line we faced. Emmit Smith was a phenomenal player at making people miss and fighting after contact, his line, who were competent no doubt, gets too much credit. Our line those three seasons at Davis' peak destroys the performance of any of those Cowboys lines. Terrell Davis was rarely even touched before crossing the line of scrimmage. We had the best system in the NFL and the best offensive line coach and we had some legitimately great players like Zimmerman and of course a young emerging Tom Nalen. Not to mention we had the best blocking wide receivers in the league and the awesome Dwayne Carswell.

That's not to take away credit from Davis. After all we didn't run for jack against the Packers when Davis was out but it's not like you could plug in a mediocre backup in Dallas and expect great results against a great defense either.

You could have put Fred Taylor behind that Denver line and he would have produced just as well. But you couldn't have replaced Smith with Dallas, the guy was what made that team go, not the O-Line despite what some revisionists may try to say. Emmit was one of the best players of his era. Terrell Davis was not. Terrell Davis isn't like Emmith Smith or Adrian Peterson or legitimately special players like that who don't come around very often. He was a very good player for a short time and that's about it.

To be honest with all the hype Barry Sanders has gotten in more recent years(and I was a huge Barry Sanders fan) I think a lot of people nowadays have forgotten just how good Smith was. Heck I bet there are even a lot of people nowadays who think Marshall Faulk was better than Emmith Smith. Hilarity. This is similar with Elway too by the way. People now think Steve Young(the most overrated, glorified system player ever) is more impressive which few people actually thought back then. Some mental midgets even place that clown above Dan Marino which is downright embarassing.
Cutler06

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
Russell2Bailey wrote:
Please tell me that your major part of reasoning is career length. Which is the only one that makes any sense and is arguable.

Career length, not to mention the fact that he literally had a dominant offensive line. He was an excellent player, you know, Jamal Charles is an excellent player right now with the Chiefs. You won't see me hyping him as a Hall of Famer player. And yeah I know some Broncos fans will be mad at that comparison.

It's frankly insulting to put Terrell Davis in the same class as guys like Emmit Smith or Barry Sanders. Those were the dominant backs of those days. Terrell Davis was a flash in the pan. But then again the HOF is mostly about statistical accomplishments anyway. Curtis Martin is in there and he was never anything more than a solid back. Maybe one day Jamal Lewis will be talked up as a HOF player, after all he had a 2,000 yard season as well. What a joke.

An you don't think Emmitt's line was just as dominant ??

Jakuvious wrote:
KC's pass rush is fast. Manning's decision making is faster.
7DnBrnc53

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutler06 wrote:
AntiSuperstar wrote:
Russell2Bailey wrote:

It was good, but I think that Denver's line can match them, especially the 97 line against their 93 line:

Zimmerman=Erik Williams
Schlereth=Nate Newton
Nalen=Stepnoski
Habib=Gogan
Tony Jones>Tuinei
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutler06 wrote:

Nope.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutler06 wrote:
AntiSuperstar wrote:
Russell2Bailey wrote:

I gotta toss my two cents in here. What we're talking about is two lines, different schemes, and maybe the best of both.

I've never seen a better power blocking scheme and personell to match it than the 95/96 Cowboys. They were massive and maulers, especially between the tackles. When they decided to run it down your throat they did, end of story. The interior of Nate Newton, Ray Donaldson and Larry Allen was the best in the business.

Now, the ZBS Ol the Broncos had in 96/97 was every bit as prolific in that scheme as the Cowboys were in theirs. How anyone can say one was better than the other is beyond me.

I'm a fan of both OL's and even though I hated the Copwboys I loved watching 'em play.

With both teams, you knew what they were going to do yet still couldn't stop it. With Emmit it was between the tackles for 5+ a pop. with TD it was the stretch, signature plays for both backs.

You can pick out individuals if you want, but those lines as units and examples of two different schemes were the best of their day and would still be top notch today. Probably the Cowboys more so as they were ahead of their time when it came to massive O Linemen.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutler06 wrote:
AntiSuperstar wrote:
Russell2Bailey wrote:

I gotta toss my two cents in here. What we're talking about is two lines, different schemes, and maybe the best of both.

I've never seen a better power blocking scheme and personnel to match it than the 95/96 Cowboys. They were massive and maulers, especially between the tackles. When they decided to run it down your throat they did, end of story. The interior of Nate Newton, Ray Donaldson and Larry Allen was the best in the business.

Now, the ZBS Ol the Broncos had in 96/97 was every bit as prolific in that scheme as the Cowboys were in theirs. How anyone can say one was better than the other is beyond me.

I'm a fan of both OL's and even though I hated the Cowboys I loved watching 'em play.

With both teams, you knew what they were going to do yet still couldn't stop it. With Emmit it was between the tackles for 5+ a pop. with TD it was the stretch, signature plays for both backs.

You can pick out individuals if you want, but those lines as units and examples of two different schemes were the best of their day and would still be top notch today. Probably the Cowboys more so as they were ahead of their time when it came to massive O Linemen.

Also, it's not insulting at all to mention Smith and Davis at the same time. Smith lasted far longer, but outside of his 1st 5/6 years was a very pedestrian back. He and TD's career starts were quite similar, both products of great lines and great teams. As the Cowboys declined, so did Emmitt.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: