Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Daintrain28's Mock Offseason v.2013.4.0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Daintrain28's Mock Offseason v.2013.4.0 Reply with quote

Scenario:
~Green Bay finishes the season 12-4
~We win the Wildcard Round of the playoffs, before being defeated by the San Francisco 49ers in the Divisional Round
~We are awarded the 25th pick
~We are awarded a 4th round compensatory pick for Matt Flynn

Released/Not resigned/Retired:
~Charles Woodson
~Greg Jennings
~Cedric Benson
~Donald Driver
~Jeff Saturday

Resigned:
~Sam Shields

~Erik Walden

~Tom Crabtree

~Jermichael Finley

Free Agency
~Steven Jackson RB St. Louis Rams

Jackson may very well be the missing link for our offense. He would bring tremendous balance to our offense, and his presence would make teams respect the pass, thus opening up the passing game.

At his age, he would like be a bargain. While he is not the player he once was, he still is a darn good player. An upgrade over Benson, and a quality stopgap as the team waits for Alex Green to come through.

~Terrance Knighton NT Jacksonville Jaguars

An area of need no one is talking about is depth on the DL. After Pickett and Raji, we are very thin. Knighton is one of the few bright spots of the Jaguars' personnel moves from the last few years. He is undervalued and could be a cheap veteran backup.

I think how close we are to another championship, TT might invest in some undervalued FAs like last year. That might very well include Knighton.

The Draft:
*****Trade Alert: The Green Bay Packers swap draft picks with the Philadelphia Eagles. The Packers send their 1st Round pick (#25), 2nd Round pick (#57), and next year's 2nd Round pick to the Eagles for their 1st Round pick (#17).*****

With the 25th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select...
Barrett Jones C/G/T Alabama
6'5" 311 lbs. 5.10/40

There are many reasons to like Jones as a prospect. He is strong at the point of attack, athletic, gets around well in space, smart as a whip, and a true locker room leader if there ever was one. But the biggest reason to like him is due to his versatility.

Jones is one of those rare OL who can play any position along the OL. If Derek Sherrod is not ready to play come next September, Jones can easily fill in at LT providing an upgrade at that position over Marshall Newhouse. If Sherrod does come back, Jones can provide an upgrade over Jeff Saturday, where many think he will be all-world.

The bottom line is he appears to be a player who can play. He brings his lunchpail to work, and works his butt off. A good "Packer Person" to keep our franchise QB upright.

With the 57th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select...
Traded in the Barrett Jones' deal.

With the 89th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select...
Traded in the Barrett Jones' deal

With the 125th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select...
Travis Howard CB Ohio State
6'1" 196 lbs. 4.50/40

Ya know how they say TT loves value? Here is a guy with a ton of value. Started the season strong with a ton of INTs, and then his INT totals got quiet. Looking at the write ups on him, it sure looks like he isn't getting burned either. I wonder if teams are just throwing away from him?

I think the young talent added to our D is going to come along, but I still see our secondary getting torched a little bit. I'd like to see a CB added, and Howard is a guy with great value at this spot.

Big, fast, tall, long arms. Looks like a good fit in our D.

With the 134th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select...
Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
63 200 lbs. 4.50/40

Big, strong WR who is good after the catch. Racks up a lot of YAC and could be a good replacement for DD and Jennings.

With the 210th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select...
T.J. Barnes NT Georgia Tech
6'7" 333 lbs. 5.45/40

Space eater in every definition of the word. Depth behind Pickett and Raji is a bituva concern and it is a spot Barnes could help out immensely with.

Thanks packerbacker87 for the sig!
I Am Rodgers wrote:
We traded MD Jennings for Julius Peppers. TT DA WHITE WIZARD
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm extremely confused by this.... You have us trading our 1st, 2nd, and 2nd next year to the Eagles (who are probably picking top Cool....for the 17th overall pick....moving up 8 spots and taking Barrett Jones? I think you need to fix some things.

stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Am Rodgers wrote:
I'm extremely confused by this.... You have us trading our 1st, 2nd, and 2nd next year to the Eagles (who are probably picking top Cool....for the 17th overall pick....moving up 8 spots and taking Barrett Jones? I think you need to fix some things.

1. Eight spots in the 1st Round is A LOT.
2. At this point in the building of our team it is more about quality, not quantity.
3. If you do not agree with the Eagles being there at #17, insert another team. I am anticipating a surge after Andy Reid is fired. Interim coaches usually dig a little bit deeper in the hopes of getting a job.

In any event, what did you think of the offseason?

I Am Rodgers wrote:
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daintrain28 wrote:
I Am Rodgers wrote:

1. Eight spots in the 1st Round is A LOT.
2. At this point in the building of our team it is more about quality, not quantity.
3. If you do not agree with the Eagles being there at #17, insert another team. I am anticipating a surge after Andy Reid is fired. Interim coaches usually dig a little bit deeper in the hopes of getting a job.

In any event, what did you think of the offseason?

1. Dallas jumped from 14th to 6th last year and only gave up their 2nd round pick. The higher you jump up, the more cost their is. If anything the trade to move up 8 spots would be our 2nd at the most, at the least maybe our 3rd and 5th.

2. I like Jones, but don't feel he's someone worth jumping up for. If he's gone I'd take one of the T's that slide down or Cooper. I don't feel he can play LT, or possibly even RT. G/C only so that nicks his value in my eyes.

3. Last year Oakland was picking 17th. They were 8-8. Philly would need to win out to pick 8-8. 5-11 at best this year. They look awful.

4. Overall, I'd hate the move up because we see how important good depth is. You also say you traded our 3rd this year where the pick is, but you didn't say that in the trade alert.

You also signed a NT and drafted a NT which is overkill. You said we don't want us to address RDE in my mock. I don't see our positions are RDE/LDE/NT. Almost anyone in base is interchangeable in position. Same in nickel. Some players can play both base and nickel. You signed two guys that seem to be base D only players.

stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

~Well, I guess I didn't realize Dallas gave up so little, I'll revise that for the future
~We have like NO depth behind Pickett or Raji. The players I have us taking are designed to give those guys a breather and provide a solid rotation in base. We are loaded in Nickel, can't say that about base.
~Jones is a guy who is being talked about as a mid 1st rounder at C. That is unheard of. When you have the luxury of having a QB like Rodgers, you better invest in players that can keep him upright. Jones would be an upgrade over Newhouse at LT, and he could be all world at C. That is why I say go with him.

I Am Rodgers wrote:
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For base we have Raji, Pickett, Wilson, and Worthy. For Nickel we have Worthy, Raji, Neal, McDaniels. We play Nickel more than base though, so we need more rotational pieces. Not to mention that we also play with only 1 down lineman at times.

Jones is nowhere near as good a propsect as Mangold and Mack were. He also has a lot of talent around him on that line. Don't be surprised if Jones goes lower than you think (round 2). Konz was getting a lot of round 1 hype last year too from us. He went late 2.

stallyns wrote:
palmy50

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Jones. Very safe and looks the part of a Packer in every way. That said, that's not a guy I move for.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is absolutely terrible. First off you say we trade our 2012 1st, 2012 2nd and 2013 2nd to move up to #17. Then in the mock it says we select Jones at #25 and that we trade out 2012 2nd and 2012 3rd.

Barrett Jones is not worth this type of value. He's just not. Travis Howard is like a 6th/7th rounder too.

Worst mock I've seen in a very long time, all due respect.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First that was too much to give up to move up. There are NFL trade value charts all over the place. Ourlads is one of them.

Don't like the trade up for Jones. Can't see Thompson trading up for him either as it would way outside his M.O. Now if it was for a LT maybe, but he stood pat and rolled the dice when Bulaga and Sherrod fell to us. Thompson covets his picks too much to give all of that for a Guard/Center.
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
I like Jones. Very safe and looks the part of a Packer in every way. That said, that's not a guy I move for.

Reading how much ppl HATE this pick, I looked at a few other draft websites. My assessment that he will go early is based off of him being a possible LT. That is based off of old information, a lot of updated sites are saying he probably is a Center at the next level.

Do you agree with this, and if so, I can't see a C being available in the top 15, so maybe the move up is a reach as I think of it more.

As for those of you who say we don't need LDE or NT, I just don't see this. Wilson is not someone I want in the game and Worthy is a RDE in our scheme - there is a HUGE difference. I understand we play Nickel more, however, the rotation of Mike Neal, Jerrell Worthy and Mike Daniels is more than adequate IMO, I cannot see another high DP going to RDE.

I'd rather have our ducks in a row in case something happens to Pickett or Raji.

I Am Rodgers wrote:
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still haven't addressed that you say you trade our 1st, 2nd, and next years 2nd, but then for our 3rd round pick it says you traded it. Laughing

stallyns wrote:
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Am Rodgers wrote:
You still haven't addressed that you say you trade our 1st, 2nd, and next years 2nd, but then for our 3rd round pick it says you traded it. Laughing

Noted, and came from a guy trying to fit a mock in between raising three kids, working two jobs and in a grad program.

I'll fix it and repost hopefully this afternoon.

I Am Rodgers wrote:
Terranimal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daintrain28 wrote:
I Am Rodgers wrote:

Noted, and came from a guy trying to fit a mock in between raising three kids, working two jobs and in a grad program.

I'll fix it and repost hopefully this afternoon.

Now that's a full plate! Understandable too.....so you know what's it's like not to sleep also? Went through all of that years ago. Kids are grown now, but am still used to not sleeping much...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: