Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

RiotPunch Mock - Offensive Overhaul Edition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RiotPunch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: RiotPunch Mock - Offensive Overhaul Edition Reply with quote

Notable Offseason:
Woodson re-structures
Jennings tagged & traded
Finley traded
Saturday released
Driver retires
Shields re-signed
Dietrich-Smith re-signed
Brad Jones re-signed
Erik Walden re-signed

4th Round Comp Awarded for Matt Flynn
#32 and Jermichael Finley to Seattle for #21
Greg Jennings traded to NYJ for #39
#126 and #158 for #110

21. -
Taylor Lewan, LT, Michigan

Height: 6'8'' -- Weight: 310 lbs.
Ted Thompson has failed to protect Aaron Rodgers. We have had bad luck to injuries and due to the current situation, we are forced to use another high pick on the tackle position. Lewan, in my opinion, is the top left tackle prospect in this draft; but with Eric Fisher flying up draft boards and Luke Joeckel settling in as the surefire top tackle in the class, Lewan drops a bit here. Ted jumps all over this and lands a total stud. Lewan is a force with skyhigh potential and will improve our run/pass blocking immensely.

39. -
Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee

Height: 6'3'' -- Weight: 205 lbs.
With Jennings gone and our team lacking a #1, we take a wideout here. I feel like Patterson has top-10 ability, he is just a little rough around the edges. Right now, he is a phenomenal "all-purpose yards" player with breakneck speed, great athleticism and awesome return ability. We have really lacked that true deep-ball threat for Aaron, and Cordarrelle is certainly that with sub 4.4 speed. With a little grooming in the route running dept, he has the tools to be a superstar.

62. -
Travis Frederick, G/C, Wisconsin

Height: 6'4'' -- Weight: 338 lbs.
Not a traditional Green Bay lineman here, but what we are currently doing ain't getting it done. Our run game is pathetic and we don't have any nasty on our offensive line. Frederick is an absolute mauler, and would improve our run game immediately. He is also the smartest kid on the Badger football team and has what it takes to become a very good center. With the additions of Lewan/Frederick, our offensive line looks a whole lot better, both in pass pro and in the running game. It got a lot meaner too.

94. -
Jordan Reed, TE, Florida

Height: 6'3'' -- Weight: 243 lbs.
Jermichael Finley underachieved and never closed his mouth, leading to TT trading him to move up for Lewan. D.J. Williams has been a bust as well. We need a playmaker at the TE position, and Reed is just that. He is a matchup nightmare and a great all-purpose player. Not prototypical size, but Reed is a natural pass catcher, does great in space and gives effort blocking. He is also under the tutelage of Aaron Hernandez, so that can't hurt.

110. -
Ray Graham, RB, Pittsburgh

Height: 5'9'' -- Weight: 190 lbs.
I don't think our running backs are as bad as most people do, but we do lack a guy with good explosion and vision. Graham gets to top speed very fast, follows blocks extremely well and is very elusive. He is also a fantastic pass catcher and can even break some tackles. I think he is a dream fit for our one cut and go scheme, and can be a 3-down back for us.

Comp. -
Abry Jones, DE, Georgia

Height: 6'3'' -- Weight: 308 lbs.
Our D-Line is in decent shape, but with Pickett's contract running dry soon and our pass rush still average, we could stand to add more big uglies. Jones is coming off of an injury, but is a very talented lineman. He is explosive, disruptive and very physical. He would be a perfect fit at the 5-tech. Had 7 TFL and 4 sacks last year.

190. -
Michael Williams, TE, Alabama

Height: 6'6'' -- Weight: 270 lbs.
Okay, two tight ends might be a little overkill-- but we really need a great blocking tight end. Williams has what it takes to be an elite blocking end, and would further bolster our run game. He also brings nice size to serve as a redzone weapon as well. With Finley gone, Q uncertain with injury, Williams looking like a bust and Crabtree being an overachiever, adding Reed/Williams makes us rock solid at the position.

222. -
Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State

Height: 6'2'' -- Weight: 195 lbs.
I'm probably overreacting here, but I figured what the hell... Hopkins just become the ACC's All-Time Scoring Leader, and has displayed the ability to hit the big kicks. He has a big enough leg and good accuracy. Could either beat out Mason or get his rear in gear.

Flame away, Packer brethren.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not your best work Riot. I'm not a huge Patterson fan. Early in the year he looked like a stud. Later on teams learned he couldn't beat press and had so-so hands. If you can't beat press in college, you won't be press in the pro's. Also even with TT selecting a shorter offensive player in Cobb, I still think 5'9" is too short for a TT back in Graham. Also you chunk a lot of picks onto the O which doesn't need a whole lot of work. Just needs some health and 1-2 upgrades. I could see the defense really fall off without some more talent infused into it.

stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
RiotPunch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Am Rodgers wrote:
Not your best work Riot. I'm not a huge Patterson fan. Early in the year he looked like a stud. Later on teams learned he couldn't beat press and had so-so hands. If you can't beat press in college, you won't be press in the pro's. Also even with TT selecting a shorter offensive player in Cobb, I still think 5'9" is too short for a TT back in Graham. Also you chunk a lot of picks onto the O which doesn't need a whole lot of work. Just needs some health and 1-2 upgrades. I could see the defense really fall off without some more talent infused into it.

Fair enough. With Patterson, he just needs to be coached up. With his kind of natural ability, the sky is the limit. Avoiding/fighting the press can be taught, and his hands are pretty good from what I've seen. Him and Cobb on the same field would be hell to gameplan for.

Graham plays bigger than his size and just flat-out fits our scheme. He might be the best back I've seen this year in terms of fit.

And I think the O needs more work than you let on. I'd love to add more defensive playmakers, but with the uncertainty of Sherrod/Bulaga/Jennings/Finley, you almost have to go strictly offense.

I tried to change things up and take a different approach. No one likes seeing the same mock over and over, sorry you didn't like this one IaR. Sad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RiotPunch wrote:
I Am Rodgers wrote:

Fair enough. With Patterson, he just needs to be coached up. With his kind of natural ability, the sky is the limit. Avoiding/fighting the press can be taught, and his hands are pretty good from what I've seen. Him and Cobb on the same field would be hell to gameplan for.

Graham plays bigger than his size and just flat-out fits our scheme. He might be the best back I've seen this year in terms of fit.

And I think the O needs more work than you let on. I'd love to add more defensive playmakers, but with the uncertainty of Sherrod/Bulaga/Jennings/Finley, you almost have to go strictly offense.

I tried to change things up and take a different approach. No one likes seeing the same mock over and over, sorry you didn't like this one IaR. Sad

For O, I agree somewhat. I see it as either Finley or Jennings will leave, not both. For Sherrod/Bulaga, I think both will be ready come camp, but you don't really know.

I hear ya on the last part. Working on my new one right now and am close to scrapping it. I've got most of it set. Just not happy with my 4th round comp pick.

stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well first of all, I'm a distant relative of Travis Frederick, but as much as I would love him in GB, I don't think he'd be a good fit.

I'm opposed to giving up on Derek Sherrod. I agree we need a safety net in place in case he can't get over the injury bug. But there have been plenty of players who struggled with injuries at various points of their careers and then put it together. Look at Charles Woodson.

All-in-all, your mock is indicative of a mock after a disappointing game. Too reactionary. This team is close to another SB, making this many changes now would be foolish.

Thanks packerbacker87 for the sig!
I Am Rodgers wrote:
We traded MD Jennings for Julius Peppers. TT DA WHITE WIZARD
RiotPunch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daintrain28 wrote:
Well first of all, I'm a distant relative of Travis Frederick, but as much as I would love him in GB, I don't think he'd be a good fit.

I'm opposed to giving up on Derek Sherrod. I agree we need a safety net in place in case he can't get over the injury bug. But there have been plenty of players who struggled with injuries at various points of their careers and then put it together. Look at Charles Woodson.

All-in-all, your mock is indicative of a mock after a disappointing game. Too reactionary. This team is close to another SB, making this many changes now would be foolish.

Pretty cool about Frederick. Yeah, he is not a typical GB lineman for sure... but that's exactly what I like about him. He is a road grading run blocker with a very high IQ, lethal combo.

I agree on Sherrod, but wanted to go a different route with this mock. Truth is he has had two wasted seasons and who's to say his leg will ever be the same again? Only the medical staff knows the true future of our tackles. Lewan is a can't miss left tackle.

I agree this is a reactionary mock as far as the O-Line is concerned, but we are never going to be able to hang with the San Frans and New Yorks of the world in the trenches unless we inject some nasty in our offensive line. Lewan and Frederick bring some much needed physicality.

(Believe it or not, my rough draft mock had 2 of the first 3 picks being defense-- changed it up this week after the Giants loss to try to please the masses. That rough will likely be my next. Smile )

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From watching Frederick at C, he seems sorta out of place. Think he's an OG at the next level, particularly in ZBS.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nfldraftguru1 wrote:
From watching Frederick at C, he seems sorta out of place. Think he's an OG at the next level, particularly in ZBS.

Definitely to start out, yeah. I would see EDS moving to C and Frederick taking that swing-lineman spot. I wouldn't put it passed Travis to figure it out and make the move to center at some point though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not really upset with any mock that has an OT in round one. I know, and believe, bot Sherrod and Bulaga will/should be ok, but with no real tests before the draft if a guy fell and there is any doubt on either I would be more than fine protecting our biggest asset.
Pugger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you want to trade Jennings because...?

Our offense isn't the same without him as we witnessed this season.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:

Eh. Not counting the Detroit and NYG games because thats when our OLine was shot to hell, with Greg in the line up we averaged 18.4 points. Without him we put up 28.4. He'll be a loss, but not some huge loss. If we give Rodgers more time in the pocket then we can be a better offense.

Edit: Also Riot, my apologies on Graham. Just realized the Packers have a similar size RB on their PS in DuJuan Harris (5'9" 200lbs). Maybe TT really is expanding his ideals when it comes to RB.

Also that third girl.... <3

stallyns wrote:
RiotPunch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:

Because he is going to be expensive, has a history of injury issues and will turn 30 next season. I love Greg, and I do think tagging and keeping him is an option... but I think interest in him will be high and that Ted won't be able to turn down a high 2nd for him.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too high on many of the prospects, but love the effort and thematic elements that come with a RiotPunch mock. Make more mocks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: